• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shu says no custom wallpapers for PS4

I specified modern consoles. ;)

On the XB1 you do have some control over the OS style and color scheme. Check out this video, which shows two different versions of people logging into the system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnQmvHsv5Tc

But you have control over the color scheme for ps4 as well... I'm still not understanding what incompetence has to do with anything. I just think its horribly obtuse for them not to include.

I'm just not that upset by this. As long as my console plays games well, works on a network, and allows me to connect with friends, the rest isn't that big of a deal to me honestly.

Maxy

Banned
First a camera instead of a German Shepard in the COD Ghost Prestige edition and now this... Obama, we need you now!!

lefantome

Wtf

I hate having to stand default background especially when they are ugly or absent.

I hated it so much on windows phone and windows 8 plus the stock android app drawer.

Can't think of any reason why they just wouldn't allow a background change.

It's either coming later or the question was misunderstood.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The PS3 coca-cola swirl was the best, and still is the best. No wallpaper can look better. Just give me color customization.

But it will more likely just be advertising... and pay to get rid of it and use wallpapers...

Caayn

1. More games for PS4 than Xbox One
  2. Wrong, pause/resume is in, suspend/resume is coming later (this is turning off your console and saving the current state of the game for quick boot back into the software)
  3. Wrong, nobody is forcing you to buy PS Plus+, also most features do not require it, unlike Xbox Live
  4. Wrong, you can play games without patching the console, unlike Xbox One
1. On launch the:
PS4 has 14 retails titles and the Xbox One has 17 retail titles. The PS4 has more digital/PSN games on launch.
3. Yet for the most crucial feature it is required. And that is online gaming. Most people who a non-Nintendo console are going to want to play online.
Now that Sony is forcing everyone into PS+ with its paywall for online multiplayer, just like Microsoft. Don't expect the PS4 PS+ to have the same quality as the PS3 PS+.
4. You can only play singleplayer games without the patch. Most features of the PS4 require the patch. You can't even watch a Blu-ray movie without it. Remember that you could play games on the WiiU without the day one update? Face it, while the Xbox One is forced to download the patch. You don't want a PS4 without the patch. So in the end, they're very similar in that regard.

hawk2025

1. On launch the:
PS4 has 14 retails titles and the Xbox One has 17 retail titles. The PS4 has more digital/PSN games on launch.
3. Yet for the most crucial feature it is required. And that is online gaming. Most people who a non-Nintendo console are going to want to play online.
Now that Sony is forcing everyone into PS+ with its paywall for online multiplayer, just like Microsoft. Don't expect the PS4 PS+ to have the same quality as the PS3 PS+.
4. You can only play singleplayer games without the patch. Most features of the PS4 require the patch. You can't even watch a Blu-ray movie without it. Remember that you could play games on the WiiU without the day one update? Face it, while the Xbox One is forced to download the patch. You don't want a PS4 without the patch. So in the end, they're very similar in that regard.

You... You do know that we already have info on the initial PS+ offerings, right?

And they are awesome?

Boo! But wait, does this rule out backgrounds or themes as well? I never created my own background, but I loved the Flower theme.

Edit: like I said in the Xbox thread about there being no customizable backgrounds there though, I bet this is the sort of low priority thing that gets patched down the line. Certainly dissapointing though.

cdwjustin

Banned
people are all pissy about something so small... from what ive seen of the dashboard it would not look good with any background picture.. and who's to say they dont change it?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
You know when I bought custom themes? When I was like 15. I bought those cartoon sexy schoolgirl themes with like 4 or 5 shitty pictures. Any oldschool PS3 bros know what I'm talking about?

Tell me, are there finally flying cars in the future?

Can't think of any reason why they just wouldn't allow a background change.

It's either coming later or the question was misunderstood.

I'm hoping this is the case.

Maybe he misunderstood "custom" as uploading our own wallpapers instead of changing them from a variety that are already on the console or available on PSN.

HORRORSHØW

I'm hoping this is the case.

Maybe he misunderstood "custom" as uploading our own wallpapers instead of changing them from a variety that are already on the console or available on PSN.
That's plausible with the first tweet, but the second tweet makes it seem like we can't change our wallpapers at all. I really hope that isn't the case.

hawk2025

Grimløck;87708190 said:
That's plausible with the first tweet, but the second tweet makes it seem like we can't change our wallpapers at all. I really hope that isn't the case.

Same :(

Customization is always nice.

bbalde

I can understand the need for some people to personalize their devices, to make it unique, personal, but personally I leave everything as it is (Windows, Ipad, Xbox, PS3, etc..). The only time I feel the need to change it is when it disturb my viewing.

But most of the time i trust the work people have done to configure, choose colors and etc... to make it visually appealing and suddenly because a guy is fan of yellow and white, well... For me it's like altering a painting. For example I don't use the black theme on GAF, I came here, found it like this and tought the same: no need to change. It's simple, clean, why add red and pink...

I believe some of you have good taste and are capable of improving it (this is GAF, we have artist here), but most people out there, I'm not so sure. So basically this doesn't bother me at all...

Caayn

Then...?

We shouldn't expect PS+ to be as good why, exactly?
Sony's doesn't have any incentive to keep up the great work they've been delivering the last two years with PS+. Why? Because free games isn't the biggest(or only major) selling point anymore, now that online multiplayer has been locked behind a paywall.
You've seen it yourself how Sony used PS+ as a trojan horse to introduce that very same paywall. The same paywall that many used as a reason to buy a PS3 over a Xbox 360.

1+1=2 And for me the answer is that Sony will gradually lower the money they invest in free games for PS+ on PS4. As people will start buying PS+ anyway, because they want to play online.
Tell me, are there finally flying cars in the future?
No :( The government has banned them as many accidents happened while taking off.
1369329017_flying_car_accident_dashcam_footage.gif

Top Bottom