• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shu says no custom wallpapers for PS4

Nev

Banned
No games for release, no pause/resume, forced subscription, lack of basic features...

I wonder what are the reasons PS4 will "slay" Xbox One this year. It's a fucking joke of a launch.

I knew that the PS4 deal had to be some kind of bait-and-switch. How on earth am I supposed to enjoy my console if I can't have my anime waifus on the background... ughhhh

No games for release, no pause/resume, forced subscription, lack of basic features...

I wonder what are the reasons PS4 will "slay" Xbox One this year. It's a fucking joke of a launch.

335707206_700.gif

ps4 preorder cancelled

NinjaBoiX

low priority feature - it probably also gives them a bit more free room memory wise, I suspect they'll add stuff like this once they figure out how to better utilize memory
I hear what you are saying, but I would be most surprised if displaying a 10mb JPEG as a custom wallpaper cases the OS bandwidth/bottleneck headaches.

Surprised and worried.
Well they have a lot more important things to worry about right now. This is pretty insignificant and can be patched in later. What's important is that it runs apps/games well.
This sounds more likely. But still, surely something like this is a 20 minute job for Sony's coders.

Ah well, it's far from a deal breaker, it just seems like an odd omission given the presumed ease of its implementation.

madmackem

There is a pause and resume. Your not forced to play online.

I'd love to understand Sony's decision here. Will they be selling theme packs? Because as it stands, it's looking like a dvd menu right now.

Shu only confirmed that you couldnt use any photo, not that it wasnt customizable. I'm sure there will still be static and dynamic themes both paid and free.
no one cares...I want to put pics of my family, favorite animes, artwork, etc...as my wallpaper since it's something i log into everyday.

My goodness, I was hoping this thread title would be changed by the time I woke up...Time to go to twitter, this is absolutely ridiculous...

Yeah, I am that dramatic...I will not buy a PS4 if there is no personalization of the menus/OS. Even a locked down Iphone gives you some options.

Bout to go harass Shu

fertygo

So people liking to stare the OS instead just boot to their game? That's thing that I learned from this thread.

Cool.

cfresh

Neo Member

No games? Forced subscription? Lack of basic features?
Where do you get your info from? Ridiculous.

pelican

Right, I'm confused as I thought the UI was customisable? Unless he means the UI is restricted to themes and wallpaper available through the store.

Seems a bit strange considering the Vita UI is open to any wallpaper.

Right now, based on what we see, the UI self-customises based on the game you select. So you go to Knack, the wallpaper turns to Knack themed.

So the system definitely has wallpapers and themes built-in day one, but it doesn't allow users to self-customise yet.

Is this a monetary play to charge for themes? Is there a future update thing? We don't know, but this obviously isn't like the suspend thing, where it's clearly not ready day-one.

Anyway, Shuhei's 'no' on its own doesn't tell the full story, so I hope it gets clarified soon.

This really irritates me. I was genuinely hopeful Sony was going to have their OS shit together day one this time. It's pretty clear they don't. Lots of things that clearly should be possible just aren't. At least not yet.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

Bizzaro world chard warden

dat ps quadruple don't be ballin

Oppo

This really irritates me. I was genuinely hopeful Sony was going to have their OS shit together day one this time. It's pretty clear they don't. Lots of things that clearly should be possible just aren't. At least not yet.

I share your utter bafflement that Sony has lost the technical acumen to even code a simple wallpaper. It's shocking, isn't it. Almost too hard to believe. In fact, totally unbelievable.

Or maybe they just made a choice. I dunno, Occam's razor and all that. I'm sure it'll come later but boy do people like to freak out over these things. I forgot how worked up everyone gets around launches, it's been so long. (Not you specifically BB)

PS3 didn't have it at launch either, it came later; unless there's some aspect of the PS4's menu design that basically nullifies the point of background images (which is possible) then doesn't it make sense to simply assume that it's not a priority for launch? Would you have given up Remote Play at launch (a facetious comparison for argument's sake one) for wallpapers?

I think that's jumping the gun there.

Unless they've completely scrapped the dynamic wallpaper theme, the functionality is there day one for game developers. Just not for users on the generic page.

If that's the case, it's a design decision to fleece our wallet to buy themes from the store, and not because their OS don't have their shit together.

And aside from suspend-to-resume, practically every core functionality promised are there day-one. The only stuff that's not are Gaikai, 'we download games we think you'll buy based on purchase trend' & 'take-over-your-friend's gameplay.'

I share your utter bafflement that Sony has lost the technical acumen to even code a simple wallpaper. It's shocking, isn't it. Almost too hard to believe. In fact, totally unbelievable.

Or maybe they just made a choice. I dunno, Occam's razor and all that. I'm sure it'll come later but boy do people like to freak out over these things. I forgot how worked up everyone gets around launches, it's been so long. (Not you specifically BB)

PS3 didn't have it at launch either, it came later; unless there's some aspect of the PS4's menu design that basically nullifies the point of background images (which is possible) then doesn't it make sense to simply assume that it's not a priority for launch? Would you have given up Remote Play at launch (a facetious comparison for argument's sake one) for wallpapers?

Can you name me a single modern console, PC, or tablet, that doesn't allow you to customize the user interface? I'll be waiting for your response. :)

No, I don't believe it's a design decision. It's Sony's OS team just being a bunch of boobs. We still can't change our PSN name, and now we can't even customize the background of the console home screen. This is amateur hour bullshit, and it's sad to see it happening in 2013.

madmackem

Can you name me a single modern console, PC, or tablet, that doesn't allow you to customize the user interface? I'll be waiting for your response. :)

No, I don't believe it's a design decision. It's Sony's OS team just being a bunch of boobs. We still can't change our PSN name, and now we can't even customize the background of the console home screen. This is amateur hour bullshit, and it's sad to see it happening in 2013.

3DS WII U?.

munchie64

No. This can't be real. I refuse to believe it!

Anyway this is kind of an oversight. Would certainly be a nice feature to have.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I am still rocking the default theme on my PS3 and Vita so could not care less.

I care but not enough to be bothered as this won't affect the core experience. Cosmetics can come when they may as long as they have their SW and services good. That takes precedence over little things like wallpapers.

Dr_Swales

It may be because the current background shown on the PS4 is not a simple image and is managed by the current tile you have highlighted.

If that was how it was designed from the ground up it may not be a simple change to implement.

Skyzard

Banned
Big whoo

Incoming PS4 bundle includes compulsory subscription to jail, for your security.

They'll probably release some babe wallpaper every week still.

longdi

Banned
i dont care because most of time i switched on a ps4, i would be in a game or browsing psn. I do hope they allow a pure black theme.

but i can see why people are angry here. win8 initially does not come with custom wallpaper for metro too.

could it be security concerns?

Joke post? This has got to be a joke post? Someone tell me this is a joke post. Lol

dEvAnGeL

some people sure are picky this days, i don't know if should consider myself an old gamer but man, whats the problem with the console not having customizable wallpapers? are you guys gonna turn your console on and stare at the wallpaper, because that's whats next gen is all about....

I wonder if its so each tile has its own background when highlighted.

So the theme around the 'store' would look different as opposed to the friends list.

Caayn

It may be because the current background shown on the PS4 is not a simple image and is managed by the current tile you have highlighted.

If that was how it was designed from the ground up it may not be a simple change to implement.
They aleady have that working on the PS3. Just highlight a game or the "What's new" icon. And the background will change accordingly. They could use that code, update it so that it works on the PS4 OS. And done.

It's a shame, that none of the next-gen consoles allow the customization of backgrounds. It's 2013 people, it shouldn't be so hard that it would affect/delay other features.

Putty

Pre order cancelled coz i can't have a picture of my fucking dog doing dog things. Oh Sony, what have you done!

Top Bottom