• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls DLC Character vote | The Campaign united us, The Voting will destroy us

Dram

cLg5lCC.jpg

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm sorry but Annie, Minette, and Aeon need to not be in this game. I'm sorry but this game has waaaaayyy too many female anime cliche in it. Vote Stanley, Issac, Panzer, and Eliza all you want but for the love of god please don't put those trash generic anime garbage in this game.

Looks like you're #TeamWeebo

I'm sorry I like original cool characters with unique gameplay concepts. You just want the same recycled garbage in a different game. Take the cutesie Moe anime crap else where.

lol kay

Minette's gameplay concepts shit on stanley and panzer so hard it's not even funny. Annie is shit though so I cant agrue with that :p

Eliza is on par with minette in gameplay design and Issac is somewhere in the he could be cool but who knows area.

Ravidrath

Hmm, almost have as many votes in this round as we had in the last round...

Almost makes me wonder if we should accelerate the voting.

Peter... Peter... I won't kill you anymore if you do that

Looks like you're #TeamWeebo

I'm sorry I like original cool characters with unique gameplay concepts. You just want the same recycled garbage in a different game. Take the cutesie Moe anime crap else where.

so mad bro, you should read about Annie/Minette before assuming they are "moe anime crap", you're just coming out as ignorant. I tell fuck you to everyone, nothing against you tbh

Dreavus

I haven't voted for this week yet :X

Might not be a bad idea though. The campaigning is fun in between votes, but a week feels so looong.

Azure J

Don't change it now! Ride it out!

The Blood Goddess needs time to rally all the people she can.

Edit: Actually, I like the sound of two rounds a week.

I'm sorry but Annie, Minette, and Aeon need to not be in this game. I'm sorry but this game has waaaaayyy too many female anime cliche in it. Vote Stanley, Issac, Panzer, and Eliza all you want but for the love of god please don't put those trash generic anime garbage in this game.
You fucked up

Where the hell is Beowulf?

Yes pls

Just keep the standard format for this character vote and do two rounds per week for slot number two. This weekly business is going to drive people insane during the second vote.
But you don't get as much propaganda and fanart that way.
Yeah... the fanart is nice, but this is driving people up a wall and everyone is just going to get more cynical and spiteful. It's not worth that.

Ravidrath

I'll probably keep this vote the way it is, but accelerate the second one.

I don't expect we'll see as much fan art and campaigning the second time around, and people are familiar enough with the process now that they'll probably be happy to make it go faster.

I'll run it by the team and see what they think.

TheOGB

Banned
I told RavidRath that if Beowulf ends up in the roster, that I'd voice him for free.

If you know anything about me, you'd know why this is an awesome idea.
If you can pull off a good wolf howl, maybe a convincing "WULFAMANIA BROTHER" and/or "SHUT UP BITCH" then I'm down

on second thought I'm not sure "SHUT UP BITCH" would go over as well as intended considering the cast make-up

Zissou

I'll probably keep this vote the way it is, but accelerate the second one.

I don't expect we'll see as much fan art and campaigning the second time around, and people are familiar enough with the process now that they'll probably be happy to make it go faster.

I'll run it by the team and see what they think.

That's probably for the best.

Also, I'm not just imagining things- you said the full data from the polls will be released once both votes are concluded, right?

Thores

Skullgirls Mysterious Character Page said:
A cute, clumsy waitress, Minette is primarily concerned with making her customers happy. Throughout the match she delivers food to passers-by who ride past on bikes, jump down from the sky, pop up from the sewer, or otherwise appear to harass the opponent for Minette’s sake. She can collect her tips with a super, and the more she collects the happier she gets! Maybe when she’s happy enough she’ll even have the confidence to overcome her clumsiness...

Can you please direct me to the game that already has this character concept? I would love to play it

ZTS

Banned
Im going to keep it 100 if you want people to actually play SkullGirls you are doing yourself a disservice voting for characters like Aeon, Minette, and Annie. SkullGirls appeals to very niche audience at this point and a lot of people and I mean A LOT of people are turned off by the characters in the game. Adding more of the same is just going to keep SkullGirls exactly where it is which is out of the tournament scene.

I only like two characters even remotely in SkullGirls, Parasol and Peacock. All the other characters I think are incredibly dumb and poorly designed. I donated to this game in hopes that we could get some variety into this game so it makes me sick to see more of the same crap which is a turn off for so many people in the voting this far.

If SkullGirls plans to survive as franchise it needs to stop play niche anime girl fighter and expand. That shit doesn't sell. Arcana Heart is shit tons of fun but no one plays that shit. Why? Cause it's roster is a huge alienating point. The same goes for SkullGirls. Unless they get some serious variety in this game and turn it into more GG than Arcana Heart then the FGC as a whole and people as whole will not embrace it.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
You know, I love the fact that a well-done moveset for Minette has the chance to look like a Jackie Chan "Everyone just beat themselves up!" style action sequence; Taking a series of random events, and stringing them into something that hurts and controls your opponents.... all while the one being attacked acts as nothing serious at all was happening...

They did a good job with a lot of this with Manaka in Aquapazza (one of Minette's gameplay inspirations, even!); Her motions all center around her trying to maintain her own balance while shifting around a stack of books, and the opponent is pretty much treated as an obstacle between wherever she started from, and where she's going.

If pulled off right, it should perfectly fit Skullgirls; LOADS of spaces for unique animations, interactions, and effects, great ways to pay homage to and reference basically anything under the sun, and with an endearing character that's probably more truly-positive and optimistic than anyone currently in, or proposed for the game. (Ok, maybe tied with Hueby!)

And even if they somehow miss that high level of quality, even at it's worse, her combos should look like some of the best dial-a-combos from Pocket Fighter, which were a lot more fun and varied than almost any other fighting game.

We need more Aeon fanart

I'm trying only to draw characters I've voted for... but I might not be able to resist an excuse to draw her with horribly-out-of-character alt. Skullgirls, lol. Like with a truly evil-lookin Ms. Fortune, or an Annie with a real eye-catching design, or with some of the losers from previous rounds that I wish were still around :/

Cyrano

Im going to keep it 100 if you want people to actually play SkullGirls you are doing yourself a disservice voting for characters like Aeon, Minette, and Annie. SkullGirls appeals to very niche audience at this point and a lot of people and I mean A LOT of people are turned off by the characters in the game. Adding more of the same is just going to keep SkullGirls exactly where it is which is out of the tournament scene.

I only like two characters even remotely in SkullGirls, Parasol and Peacock. All the other characters I think are incredibly dumb and poorly designed. I donated to this game in hopes that we could get some variety into this game so it makes me sick to see more of the same crap which is a turn off for so many people in the voting this far.

If SkullGirls plans to survive as franchise it needs to stop play niche anime girl fighter and expand. That shit doesn't sell. Arcana Heart is shit tons of fun but no one plays that shit. Why? Cause it's roster is a huge alienating point. The same goes for SkullGirls. Unless they get some serious variety in this game and turn it into more GG than Arcana Heart then the FGC as a whole and people as whole will not embrace it.
Good lord you're cynical. Sorry you don't like the game, but seriously, why donate to a game that you seem to hate?

There is so much wrong in this post.

I'm already insane
You voted for Mannie. You gotta be a bit off. :p
What part of "The Campaign united us, The Voting will destroy us" don't you get?! It's the prophecy!
It's a lot worse in practice than words.
Good lord you're cynical. Sorry you don't like the game, but seriously, why donate to a game that you seem to hate?
It doesn't sound like he hates it. Sounds like he wants it to be something that it isn't. I feel for him, but I think he is missing the point. The tournament scene is not going to back this game. We'll have salty cupcakes, some nice locals in the future and even majors here and there, but this game will never be GG. I'm okay with that. The most important thing that could happen for the game has happened. We got seven new stages, eight new voice packs and five new characters on the way with the promise of a great steamworks PC version. This should blow the mind of anyone who has followed this game even remotely for a year now.

I don't care if some minion or tournament goer doesn't want to play because of Annie or Minette. If I can put Panzerfaust or Beowulf in for them and myself I will, but screw expecting outside support from the players.

I guess if he is salty because he wants characters he likes that is TOTALLY okay, but this grand scheming will amount to nothing.

JDdelphin

Just popping my head in to just say that I'm really happy at how the voting is going.

I'm a guy that needs characters I'm interested in to get into a game and Skullgirls didn't have that for me but Beowulf, Stanley and to a lesser extent Panzerfaust would totally make me pick the game up

I'm excited to see if the community voters vote for guys I'd like to play as, or if I have to wait another year or two or ten...

Moonlight

Banned
I feel like people thinking that voting in Beowulf or Panzerfaust is magically going to make Skullgirls acceptable in the mainstream are missing the point a bit. Nothing will have actually changed about the game even if the dust clears and we got Beowulf and Panzerfaust or Stanley. There's still high kicks with panty flashes and good-natured cheesecake, and no work is some weird scale of cheese to beef that you can balance out so as to cancel the other. I don't so much mind Beowulf or Stanley or Panzerfaust (I really quite like them, in fact), because a few of my friends are on the fence about the game and their concepts could bring them into the fold, it's quite another to assume that the people who have already written the game off as, and I quote, 'trash generic anime garbage' will change their minds should they become playable.

#TeamVoteWithYourHeart

EDIT: To be entirely clear, I understand ZTS completely, and he makes his point far easier to understand and accept when he isn't using inflammatory rhetoric to shame or ridicule people out of characters that appeal to them, because he feels that they won't serve the game's appeal, but let's not pretend that three male fighters in a female dominated roster is going to change much for the people that you 'want' to accept the game. There's the core fanbase who supported the campaign who did find appeal in the existing aesthetic and designs. What's the point of denying those people because you think there's more fish in the sea?

Chavelo

4OEN3.gif

#TeamIActuallyWantThisGameToSucceed

Maki Hirasawa

Neo Member
almost 70 pages and ppl still dont know what "Moe" means, and most important thing. That Annie, is NOT moe

Moe is a char who is "cute" with cute face, cute-inocence reactions, and kid mentality.

Annie:

"""The real Annie's parents used the Skull Heart some years ago, wishing to keep her their little girl forever. As expected, the wish betrayed them; Annie remains a child long after her parents have grown old and died. This must have occurred long before Queen Renoir used the Skull Heart, making Annie's exact age a complete mystery."""

We dont even know the age of Annie, but we can asume she saw enough of life to not be cute-inocent anymore.

Guys, call "moe" to Annie, is like say Hit-girl from Kick-ass is a moe character

I hope u see the light now

alstein

It's a lot worse in practice than words.

It doesn't sound like he hates it. Sounds like he wants it to be something that it isn't. I feel for him, but I think he is missing the point. The tournament scene is not going to back this game. We'll have salty cupcakes, some nice locals in the future and even majors here and there, but this game will never be GG. I'm okay with that. The most important thing that could happen for the game has happened. We got seven new stages, eight new voice packs and five new characters on the way with the promise of a great steamworks PC version. This should blow the mind of anyone who has followed this game even remotely for a year now.

I don't care if some minion or tournament goer doesn't want to play because of Annie or Minette. If I can put Panzerfaust or Beowulf in for them and myself I will, but screw expecting outside support from the players.

I guess if he is salty because he wants characters he likes that is TOTALLY okay, but this grand scheming will amount to nothing.

I love the art/music/engine of Skullgirls, but I'm not a fan of the gameplay. One of my hopes is that somehow people figure out how to hack/mod the game to make something interesting. Ravi says it's impossible, but I want this game to become the next MUGEN- a good, solid engine+GGPO would be a fertile feeding ground for fangames/new concepts, and if there's FG crash in the future, this would be a good way to keep things alive if the companies bail out.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player

You should channel your awesome opinions and go for a producer gig at EA

SupaNaab

I'm sorry I like original cool characters with unique gameplay concepts.

Just saying, Minette clearly has the most unique playstyle of any of the currently known ones. Probably followed by Beowulf or Eliza. Whereas bitching about Annie gameplay is dumb because her stuff is pretty much unknown and Aeon is waaaay more unique than Isaac. I''ll try to break this down as best I can.

Aeon / エイオン

+ Save state manipulation (Isaac just has a glove, Aeon IS an hourglass)
+ Attacks are composed of the entire SG cast like Double (she is not limited to just playable characters)
+ The characters that appear in her attacks are alternate superpowered versions of existing characters (obviously balanced though)
+ Extensive time manipulation powers (combos can be playedback later in a round, time can be rewound, slowed or halted)
+ Sand/Glass/Time theme

Annie / アニー
+ Sword attacks (this is probably a stance)
+ Sagan attacks (this is probably a stance)
+ Star/Space/Magical/Galactic Power/Seasoned Veteran theme

Beowulf / ベオウルフ

+ Usable steel chair item (The Hurting)
+ Chair combos and non-chair combos
+ Chair is a placeable platform (I would bet this is where the El Feurte-style grabs/slams come in to play)
+ Throwable items (chair, souvenirs?)
+ Grapple-archetype with a classic wrestling theme

Eliza / イライザ
+ Weak early game, significantly stronger gameplay options the lower her own health bar is
+ Blood mechanic (damage results in on-stage blood that's usable in combos)
+ Sekhmet Mode (slow powerful attacks)
+ Staff of Ra Mode (new abilities, quicker attacks and higher mobility)
+ Egyptian/Skeletal/Vampiric theme (would be cool if her hand took battle damage and gradually became skeletal as the battle progressed)
+ Unsure if modes are stances or are the result of something like the state of her current health or supers, etc

Isaac / アイザック

+ Time-glove mechanic (instant attacks, recovery occurs 10s later forcing Isaac to phase out)
+ Able to negate time-glove recovery by using a pre-emptive super earlier in the match
+ Game timer manipulation
+ Able to turn special attacks into supers (info on this is still extremely vague)

Minette / ミネット
+ Attacks are like Parasouls Egret attacks (townsfolk demanding food injure/harass the enemy)
+ Tip mechanic (attacks/supers generate tips which can be collected for cumulative power)
+ Probably a large focus on Gem Fighter style play due to her Tip mechanic
+ Clumsy/Passive/Support theme

Panzerfaust / パンツァーファウスト

+ Douple tap combo finishers (tap HH twice to use the tankblast)
+ Long-range pokes with tank treads
+ Grenade and tank blast projectiles
+ Super armour
+ Beefy/Exaggerated WII theme

Stanley / スタンレー
+ High mobility (skates, jetpacks, shark dive)
+ Default stance (probably the stance in which he uses all of his tech/gadget attacks)
+ Boxing stance (probably uses most of his sports-centric attacks here)
+ Laser (beam) attacks
+ Under the earth attack (perhaps like an offensive teleport?)
+ Science/Shark/Sports theme

JDdelphin

a few of my friends are on the fence about the game and their concepts could bring them into the fold

Well hey that's me and like... at least five people I know. I could totally be your friend.

What's the point of denying those people because you think there's more fish in the sea?

....oh, well if you don't want more friends ;_;

I'm kidding.
I don't want anyone denying their true selves or anything, I'm just hoping people like what I like, otherwise I shall remain here on my fence... hangin out, not wishing ill on anyone and glad that a majority of voters got what they wanted...

I think an interesting polling thing would be just how many people are on that fence, like me that just want a few characters that fit the aesthetic/style that they like to play as in fighters...
I like playing as crazy guys and big ugly guys and the few characters I thought might work for me in the existing roster didn't quite do it.
I hope everything works out the best for everyone though...

Even if the guys I am interested in playing as don't make it in now, I'm still hopeful the door would be open for future expansion after all this crazy support

Crocodile

Hey Ravidrath, now that the donation period has ended, how much money were you able to raise in total including Paypal.

I certainly agree that increased visual diversity would be overall beneficial to the appeal of this game but you can't yell and chastise people for voting for whoever they want to vote for to possibly sway someone else, somewhere to pick the game up. Everybody has preferences (I'm not a big fan of Minette or Stanley personally) and there are certainly no guarantees of anything. Everyone should just vote for who they want and hope the best man/woman wins. Your tone and word choice ("sicken") makes your post feel a bit like a fit. It also doesn't help that the vast majority of the voters aren't posting here (or at any one centralized location) so you're kind of screaming into the wind and I'm not sure how you can call Aeon "generic" or Annie "moe" with a straight face regardless of whether or not you like their designs or gameplay.

TLDR: I understand the sentiment but your tone could use work.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Aeon is a walking pun.

Vote Aeon.

(Didn't actually donate but I'm lurking this shit anyway)

DON'T FUCKING REMIND ME, I just felt so bad about not voting Minette.... god damn why didn't I meta vote Issac

see, that's a resonable post and I understand what you're talking about. Just Don't come over and talk shit about others without expecting to be treated the same.

Zissou

I understand people's frustrations and them wanting more cast diversity. People want cast diversity because they want SG to succeed bwcause Lab Zero is the only fighting game dev who really seems to give a damn. I'm personally waiting for the holy grail of 'plays like marvel 3' + 'devs who give a damn and engage actively with players and fans Lab Zero-style'
yeah, I know it ain't happening :(

Top Bottom