• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim not officially confirmed by Bethesda for Nintendo Switch

Eolz

watershed

Banned
Didn't every 3rd party give a near identical quote about supporting the Switch? We're happy to collaborate with Nintendo on this video, we aren't announcing any products at this time" something along those lines.

KingBroly

Banned
"What you just witnessed was our Skyrim remastered trailer on the Switch's Youtube app."

See, this is why LP's are bad. Youtube lets you play games for free now.

/s

It feels like big cocktease. 'Here's Skyrim on Switch. But it's not coming.' People would be pissed.

Didn't every 3rd party give a near identical quote about supporting the Switch? We're happy to collaborate with Nintendo on this video, we aren't announcing any products at this time" something along those lines.

2K gave a no comment on the NBA footage. 2 reasons why Bethesda putting Skyrim on Switch is:

A - They were very vocal about Wii U's criticisms
B - Skyrim, and the perception of it and Bethesda's games on Nintendo's systems is a pretty big get

EDarkness

Pretty much. I wouldn't read much into it, since I gotta feeling that Nintendo wants to keep the games under wraps for a bit longer. Showing Skyrim is just a way to get people hyped up...you know it's coming, but we can't go into the details yet. *wink, wink*

OrionX

giphy.gif

Fredrik

Don't even know why they showed Skyrim in the reveal video. It's not the type of game I'd be jumping onto a Nintendo console to play.
Skyrim on the go, at the commute, in the bed, sofa, comfy chair, etc, is a system seller like nothing else imo.
Let me bring over my saves and mods from Steam and I'll devote 100 hours to that thing.

watershed

Banned
Here's what I was remembering. The responses are mostly the same in terms of not committing to specific games but rather talking about "support" or just general excitement. Few developers if any have confirmed specific titles. Skyrim for the Switch might never happen, but I don't think comment suggests anything.

“We’re happy to have had the opportunity to collaborate with Nintendo on the trailer. While we are not confirming any specific titles at this time, we are pleased to announce our partnership with Nintendo and support of Nintendo Switch. We look forward to revealing specific details at a later date.” - 2K representative

Bethesda
“We’re happy to have had the opportunity to collaborate with Nintendo on the video. While we are not confirming any specific titles at this time, we are pleased to announce our partnership with Nintendo and support of the Switch. We look forward to revealing specific games and details in the future.” - Bethesda representative

EA
"Congratulations to our partners at Nintendo on their reveal of Nintendo Switch – it’s great to see the excitement for their new device." - EA representative

SEGA
"SEGA and Nintendo have been great partners over the years, and we continue to with our support of the Nintendo Switch. We look forward to revealing specific game plans soon, but have nothing further to announce at this time." - SEGA representative

NIS America
“We are very excited about the possibilities that the Nintendo Switch brings to the gaming space. However, we don't have anything to announce about already-existing titles or content that may currently be in development for it at this time.” - NIS America representative

Epic Games
"We're thrilled to partner with Nintendo to help Unreal Engine 4 developers bring their games to Nintendo Switch!" - Epic Games on Twitter

Bandai Namco
"Bandai Namco Entertainment has enjoyed a long partnership of publishing and developing great titles for Nintendo systems. We want to congratulate Nintendo on their exciting announcement. We look forward to bringing both iconic franchises and new titles to Nintendo Switch." - Bandai Namco representative

Telltale
"While we cannot confirm any specific series today, we can share our excitement to soon be bringing our projects to Nintendo Switch. Our dedication to creating emotionally engaging interactive stories that are identical for players using home consoles or on mobile/tablet devices on the go is a perfect fit for Nintendo's innovative new hardware." - Job J Stauffer, Head of Creative Communications, Telltale Games

Warner Bros.
"Nintendo continually innovates to develop unique technology for gamers, and we are excited to expand our long-standing relationship by creating games for the Nintendo Switch." - WB representative

Atlus
"We’re excited to be supporting the Nintendo Switch and believe the games we publish are a perfect fit for the portable nature of the console." - Atlus representative

Don't even know why they showed Skyrim in the reveal video. It's not the type of game I'd be jumping onto a Nintendo console to play.

Well, it shows a game from a company that's done very little to support Nintendo platforms in the past. With that said, the messaging would've been much stronger had it been Fallout 4 instead of Skyrim. Simply because FO4 is a current-gen exclusive game, so it'd speak to the tech of the machine more than Skyrim can.

Skyrim on the go, at the commute, in the bed, sofa, comfy chair, etc, is a system seller like nothing else imo.
Let me bring over my saves and mods from Steam and I'll devote 100 hours to that thing.

Skyrim in 2017 isn't going to be a system seller on anything. The overwhelming majority of people that wanted to play it did so in 2013. That's not to say that some people won't jump back int, but I highly doubt it'll be a substantial number by any means. And certainly not to a level that it'd be described as a system seller. Now Elder Scrolls 6 may be a different case. But that gets into what I replied to NoblesseOblige about, will the Switch even be able to run whatever that'll be?

BuggyMike

A lot of confirmed devs have been asked about the Switch and all of there responses are nearly identical to this wording

http://gonintendo.com/stories/267132-ign-various-confirmed-switch-devs-comment-on-their-support

Which makes me feel like the developers are just under NDA (Bethesda included) until the full reveal

To me this was very obvious just with the Bethesda statement. That video was made to focus on the console itself. I think a lot of people still view Nintendo in a certain way based on this past generation, and the many before it, so when a statement like this comes out, they jump to their preconceived notions about Nintendo and assume the worst.

When Nintendo got treated harshly by 3rd parties,it was after they did a lot of dumb shit, like creating a console that had super exotic hardware, and a console that was only appealing to very young children. They don't just want to shit on Nintendo like how people assumed in this situation just because "lol Nintendo". Devs do want to support Nintendo, and they do want Nintendo to get their shit right because Nintendo is a beloved company in the industry and publishers want to make money everywhere they can.

Nintendo had a very rude awakening with the Wii U, and from what I can see, they're trying to get shit right, and I think that publishers and even consumers can see that.

A large portion of the gaming community also has a serious issue where they jump to conclusions and over react over the smallest things, without the entire story. Seriously guys, work on that.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
No game shown in the trailer was "officially" announced or confirmed.

NateDrake

No game shown in the trailer was "officially" announced or confirmed.

Bingo. Not a single game shown has been announced. Not even the Nintendo software. Nothing new was announced yesterday after the reveal. The only "confirmed" games remain Dragon Quest, Sonic, and Just Dance. These comments are just empty comments. Once the NDA on announcing Switch software lifts, then we'll get more details. Skyrim and NBA 2K weren't just random titles chosen to be shown. They are coming to Switch, but Nintendo hasn't allowed the companies to officially announce them for the device yet. It's really that simple.

Honestly, didn't anyone find it odd that not a single game was announced yesterday once the trailer was over? There's a reason for that. We have seen indies who expressed interest in NX and deny knowledge of what the device could be, and they are now sharing they knew what it was earlier this year and came up with fun ways to say 'No Comment'. The software announcements will come and Skyrim and more will get confirmed.

Toparaman

Banned
Well, it shows a game from a company that's done very little to support Nintendo platforms in the past. With that said, the messaging would've been much stronger had it been Fallout 4 instead of Skyrim. Simply because FO4 is a current-gen exclusive game, so it'd speak to the tech of the machine more than Skyrim can.

Skyrim in 2017 isn't going to be a system seller on anything. The overwhelming majority of people that wanted to play it did so in 2013. That's not to say that some people won't jump back int, but I highly doubt it'll be a substantial number by any means. And certainly not to a level that it'd be described as a system seller. Now Elder Scrolls 6 may be a different case. But that gets into what I replied to NoblesseOblige about, will the Switch even be able to run whatever that'll be?

watershed

Banned
I think it's gonna be pretty fun and exciting once games start getting announced. There will be some ho-hum Batman Arkham Enhanced WiiU edition like stuff but also really cool 3rd party indie games and exclusives like BGE2(?) and other fun surprises. I'm already looking forward to Image and Form's Switch game.

KingBroly

Banned
Bingo. Not a single game shown has been announced. Not even the Nintendo software. Nothing new was announced yesterday after the reveal. The only "confirmed" games remain Dragon Quest, Sonic, and Just Dance. These comments are just empty comments. Once the NDA on announcing Switch software lifts, then we'll get more details. Skyrim and NBA 2K weren't just random titles chosen to be shown. They are coming to Switch, but Nintendo hasn't allowed the companies to officially announce them for the device yet. It's really that simple.

Honestly, didn't anyone find it odd that not a single game was announced yesterday once the trailer was over? There's a reason for that. We have seen indies who expressed interest in NX and deny knowledge of what the device could be, and they are now sharing they knew what it was earlier this year and came up with fun ways to say 'No Comment'. The software announcements will come and Skyrim and more will get confirmed.

Sure. But I think just seeing the list of third parties was kinda...awesomely hopeful. 3DS was supposed to be their 'biggest system support ever' or something like that, and this dwarfs that. It's like a Playstation list, even though some aren't there yet (namely Rockstar and CDPR).

BuggyMike

I think it's gonna be pretty fun and exciting once games start getting announced. There will be some ho-hum Batman Arkham Enhanced WiiU edition like stuff but also really cool 3rd party indie games and exclusives like BGE2(?) and other fun surprises. I'm already looking forward to Image and Form's Switch game.

BGE2 and a game from.. From Software are what really intrigue me. I haven't played Dark Souls 3 yet so I'd be down day one for that on Switch.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

I dunno, Skyrim is pretty high on the Amazon Ranking right now in Germany. Of course not as high as in 2011..but still.

NateDrake

Sure. But I think just seeing the list of third parties was kinda...awesomely hopeful. 3DS was supposed to be their 'biggest system support ever' or something like that, and this dwarfs that. It's like a Playstation list, even though some aren't there yet (namely Rockstar and CDPR).

That, too. They showed an extensive list of 3rd party partners, and yet not a single one announced anything for Switch. That is a clear indicator they are being told to wait to make announcements. No reason to fear Skyrim may not hit Switch.

EDarkness

I remember people saying the same thing about Resident Evil 4 on the Wii. It was an old game that was being rereleased with motion controls. That game went on to sell over a million copies. You never know what the gaming populace at large is going to be thirsting for at any given time. The idea of being able to take the full fledged Skyrim on the go may be enough to get people to jump back in.

Hopefully, next week Nintendo gives us an exact month when they will talk about and let third party devs actually officially announce their games for Switch...

LordKano

Well, I suppose that haters absolutely needed a thread to shit on the Switch.

On-topic, while Skyrim is cool, I hope they'll bring Dishonored 2.

Ahh you're right, I just glanced at Wiki and saw 2013, but it turns out that was the Legendary edition release date rather than the initial release.

I dunno, Skyrim is pretty high on the Amazon Ranking right now in Germany. Of course not as high as in 2011..but still.

I don't doubt that it could sell. I was just responding to the idea that it could be a system seller. That seems like a highly unlikely scenario. Genuine system sellers are rare. I'd argue that the PS4 doesn't really have one. It just has a big library with a lot of quality titles.

I remember people saying the same thing about Resident Evil 4 on the Wii. It was an old game that was being rereleased with motion controls. That game went on to sell over a million copies. You never know what the gaming populace at large is going to be thirsting for at any given time. The idea of being able to take the full fledged Skyrim on the go may be enough to get people to jump back in.

Yeah, but RE4 Wii sold 2m copies. I don't think anyone would call that a system seller. The Wii's system sellers were games like Wii Sports and Mario Kart, which sold well 30m units each.

Breads

Banned
Right. Just like they when had no plans to announce a remaster despite having a build that worked on current gen. Until they did.

This is why the AAA gaming industry is so laughably sneaky. Thats bethesda's game running on someones console for a trailer and they're gonna sit there and say "oh well that doesn't mean anything". Its pretty obvious that Nintendo picked Skyrim because it wanted to show that the switch has a popular AAA ip different from the typical Nintendo stuff. I'm sure there are other games they could of chosen to shown yet they picked that one and Bethesda is gonna sit there and throws up its hands and pretend like it doesn't mean anything. Thats so shady. This is clearly them wanting people to double/triple/quadruple dip.

EDarkness

Yeah, but RE4 Wii sold 2m copies. I don't think anyone would call that a system seller. The Wii's system sellers were games like Wii Sports and Mario Kart, which sold well 30m units each.

I'm sure that's true, but that doesn't mean that there weren't people who purchased a Wii specifically for RE 4. I worked at Gamestop at the time and there were lots of folks who bought Wiis and RE 4 at the same time. My point being that it may not be a main system seller, we can't discount the fact that it can drive people to go pick up the system. People said that RE 4 wouldn't sell on the Wii and wasn't a big deal at the time, yet that game went on to sell a bunch of copies. Skyrim may have that same kind of draw, which may be why they picked it in the first place.

Top Bottom