• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim not officially confirmed by Bethesda for Nintendo Switch

oti

Banned
If by any chance Skyrim doesn't make it on the Switch this whole thing would be ABSOLUTELY BONKERS. I mean, how did it even come to be?

-

Hey Bethesda, we have this NVIDIA thing going on, Skyrim is on PC, can you make us a video plz?

Sure Nintendo, but we can't guarantee Switch support since Wii U lol.

Lol, I get it. We'll just use the footage and put you on the list would that be ok.

I guess.

-

That makes no sense at all.

Cynar

If by any chance Skyrim doesn't make it on the Switch this whole thing would be ABSOLUTELY BONKERS. I mean, how did it even come to be?

-

Hey Bethesda, we have this NVIDIA thing going on, Skyrim is on PC, can you make us a video plz?

Sure Nintendo, but we can't guarantee Switch support since Wii U lol.

Lol, I get it. We'll just use the footage and put you on the list would that be ok.

I guess.

-

That makes no sense at all.
For a tech demo. Companies do that all the time.

Phamit

It probably going to be featured in a Specific direct for the games of the console. Nintendo also didn't make any comment about their games.

AdanVC

PR speak for "please buy the ps4/xb1 ports, then we'll talk about the switch port."

Yup. This has to be. There's no way they will not launch Skyrim on Switch after using it on it's reveal. Just PR things. Everything on the right moment.

They could have used something other than one of the most iconic video games of the last decade for a tech demo. In the reveal trailer no less.
I think it is coming, but I find their backpaddling weird, because they don't lose any sales if someone decides to buy it on NS(Great in Germany btw.).

ZOONAMI

Pr speak for people who might not buy it on bone or ps if there is a portable nintendo version coming out. Trying to get that triple or quad dip.

mario_O

They could have used something other than one of the most iconic video games of the last decade for a tech demo. In the reveal trailer no less.

It's just a way of saying "look this is possible in our system, and we have bethesda on board". Migth come later, might not. Deceitful marketing.

oti

Banned
It's just a way of saying "look this is possible in our system, and we have bethesda on board". Migth come later, might not. Deceitful marketing.

This is far beyond "look at what it can do, titles like that Skyrim game" and has turned into "Skyrim on Switch".

They also showed Mario Kart/Splatoon/A New Mario Game in the video without actually announcing them! Which means they're not coming to the Switch!

Nintendo is DooOOooooOOooomed!

/s

Harmen

This is odd. One would think that an existing game prominently shown in a console reveal would be confirmed. It makes absolutely no sense to not talk about a Switch port because of the PC/PS4/One versions.

EDarkness

You sure that's what's happening? Switch ain't stealing sales from PS/XB/PC and it never will, ever. The idea of saving the announcement for later to boost sales make no sense. It works when you own the device, not when the device is just announced.

It's totally what's happening and they say flat out that they have games to announce. How can people make the claim that they're "throwing Nintendo under the bus" when they said they have games coming? Skyrim is one of them, but they're not talking about it now...so in the meantime buy the Xbox One and PS4 versions.

jblank83

I think it is coming, but I find their backpaddling weird, because they don't lose any sales if someone decides to buy it on NS(Great in Germany btw.).

To backpedal they would have had to announce something first.

Even Nintendo hasn't officially announced any of the games shown in the trailer, other than Zelda BotW.

Generally speaking, Skyrim was the strangest part of the Switch reveal video.

I'm all for more third party ports but getting Skyrim, of all things, just seems like a continuation of their (failed) third party approach on Wii U. Remember Deus Ex: Director's Cut, Batman Armored Edition, and ME3: Special Edition?

(I own all three for some reason.)

jts

...hate me...
Money now is better than money later, not to mention other factors at play, like not being guaranteed that if someone doesn't buy the game now will actually buy it later for the NS. People change their minds all the time.

Basically in business you never want to give an incentive for people not to buy your thing as soon as possible.

Oersted

Generally speaking, Skyrim was the strangest part of the Switch reveal video.

I'm all for more third party ports but getting Skyrim, of all things, just seems like a continuation of their (failed) third party approach on Wii U. Remember Deus Ex: Director's Cut, Batman Armored Edition, and ME3: Special Edition?

(I own all three for some reason.)

The remaster is coming out soon.

jblank83

Yes but it's a 5 year old game is the point, that probably won't even have mod support like the other two consoles and they're advertising that as their big 3rd party get.

This is the only point that matters. All the rest is just distraction, troll bait and console war fodder.

The real question is whether Nintendo will support mods.

Oersted

Yes but it's a 5 year old game is the point, that probably won't even have mod support like the other two consoles and they're advertising that as their big 3rd party get.

They didn't advertise it as their big third party get.

We do not know if it will have the mod support of Xbox One, the very limited mod support of PS4 or none at all.

Was it vanilla or remastered Skyrim tho? Itd be sad to get a 2011 game now.

A 2011 game on a mobile device running Android would be incredibly impressive. Obviously I don't care too much for it either. But the capabilities potentially are astounding and speak to the future of gaming.

120v

that's because it is their approach. just a matter of whether 3rd parties will stick around longer this time

El Topo

Generally speaking, is that the big 3rd party game you want to use in your reveal trailer? A port of a six month old remaster of a game from 2011? I get that the idea of Skyrim on the go is very appealing, but it seems like an odd choice, especially if they really used (what looked like) ports of MK8 and Splatoon in the reveal. I understand why they would use the game, but it's not as if that choice is perfect.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Generally speaking, is that the big 3rd party game you want to use in your reveal trailer? A port of a six month old remaster of a game from 2011? I get that the idea of Skyrim on the go is very appealing, but it seems like an odd choice, especially if they really used (what looked like) ports of MK8 and Splatoon in the reveal.

It's not like anybody sane was expecting wonders in terms of 3rd party games.
I think it worked well as a proof of the concept and in connection with Zelda and in the whole idea of the video. They shown very well known games in the end.

El Topo

It's not like anybody sane was expecting wonders in terms of 3rd party games.
I think it worked well as a proof of the concept and in connection with Zelda and in the whole idea of the video. They shown very well known games in the end.

I get what they were trying to do, it's not rocket science, I just think in combination with (what looked like) three other ports* (NBA2K, MK8, Splatoon) it was a bit odd. Frankly I think showing Skyrim was by itself okay, it's not as if there's too many other 3rd party titles from now until March that would work better, it's just the overall context.

*Since BotW is not out yet, I'm willing to count it as a new game.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
They said "we worked on the video".
It might come later on. But it definitely doesn't look like a launch game, like the video implies.

Now read further. Only few more sentences to go.
And the video never implies it's a launch game.

Edit: even better, let me make this easier for you:

We look forward to revealing specific games and details in the future

Top Bottom