• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U/3DS: 3 Character Slots & 3 Stage Slots Found in Recent Patch Data (1.1.1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSqueak

Banned
Gonna be honest, if we really did get a second Punch-Out!! rep, I honestly think it should be Doc Louis.

The problem I have with making someone like King Hippo playable is that he's really not that important than the other boxers, who also aren't any important than each other. Doc Louis on the other hand is basically to Little Mac as Palutena is to Pit, if you know what I mean.

I still am dissapointed that the punch out stage doesn't have special "smash taunt" dialogue with Doc Louise describing each opponent to Mac.

Zalman

With the roster the size it is right now + a couple more DLC we are getting, they will need find a different "main attraction" in the next game. I mean, we still get more characters in Smash 5, but there's no way they will introduce over 15 characters again, unless they cut a considerable portion of the Smash 4 roster. That or they will completely throw away the competitive aspect of Smash and keep adding characters and more characters, ignoring the balance.
This is why I wasn't initially thrilled by the idea of Smash DLC. There's already so many characters. I'm not sure what it means for the franchise in the long run. They don't seem to care, given the fact that they have no problem adding (semi-)clones to pad out the roster like Roy, Dr. Mario etc.

What I meant by my post was that they could spend less resources if they didn't start from scratch again. Focus on the things that really make people excited instead.

Sponge

Banned
This is why I'm hoping the NX gets a port of Smash 4. There are people still upset Ice Climbers and Snake are not back, I can't imagine how bad the uproar is gonna be for the next game's cuts.

JazzmanZ

This is why I'm hoping the NX gets a port of Smash 4. There are people still upset Ice Climbers and Snake are not back, I can't imagine how bad the uproar is gonna be for the next game's cuts.

I bet you people will want Dark Pit back.

Neoxon

The NX Platform is probably gonna get a brand new Smash game. A Smash 4 remaster wouldn't come at the cost of Smash 5, nor should it. That being said, Snake's is probably never returning. At least the Ice Climbers are guaranteed to return in Smash 5 as long as the NX Handheld can handle them.

Zubz

Banned
We already have a protagonist boxer, we need an antagonist boxer - especially since the opponents are the true stars of the series.

We said we wanted another heavyweight, and we wanted another character who may or may not be a villain. Maybe I've been campaigning for the wrong "King" this whole time...

latest

... It's not too late to start pushing him alongside my last section push for Mach Rider very early this morning, right?

Sponge

Banned
The NX Platform is probably gonna get a brand new Smash game. A Smash 4 remaster wouldn't be in the place of Smash 5, nor should it.

The NX will most likely get a new game in the series. I can't remember if this was a rumor or not, but wasn't Nintendo gonna rerelease Melee with new content if Sakurai didn't come back for Brawl?

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Frankly, if we get another Punch Out rep it's hard to think one that is not just another boxer, i personally think that the perfect rep would be Dragon Chan, because then you can make him completely different from mac starting from the fact that he would have kicks and you could have him be mac's opposite: more dangerous in the air than in the ground.

Good point, I chose King Hippo as a faux "villain" representative since he's unique in design and functionality

I expect heavy cuts next game. Good bye Ike. Good bye Falco. Good bye Bowser Jr.

Didn't we predict that this time too?

Cuts from Melee to Brawl:

Mewtwo
Roy
Pichu
Dr. Mario

Cuts from Brawl to Smash 4:

Ice Climbers
Snake
Squirtle
Ivysaur
Wolf
Lucas

Cuts that I heard people say would totally be happening:

Lucario
Jigglypuff
Ness
Lucas
Snake
Sonic
Squirtle
Ivysaur
Charizard
Wolf
Yoshi (lol)
Toon Link
Sheik
Zero Suit Samus
Marth
Ike
Olimar
Wolf
Falco
Meta Knight

I think we're just expecting the worst and hoping for the best, but heavy cuts is pretty unrealistic.

With the roster the size it is right now + a couple more DLC we are getting, they will need find a different "main attraction" in the next game. I mean, we still get more characters in Smash 5, but there's no way they will introduce over 15 characters again, unless they cut a considerable portion of the Smash 4 roster. That or they will completely throw away the competitive aspect of Smash and keep adding characters and more characters, ignoring the balance.

Pretty much agree on the cuts part. I feel a lot of people will be in for a shock when the next game has even more cuts than Smash 4. Granted, they could be added in later on as DLC. The problem is that there aren't a lot of veterans whose exclusion wouldn't cause backlash at this point.

I can still see them adding in 10+ Newcomers though as I feel that they'll always be the main draw for a new Smash but in turn, some veterans won't make it. A NX "Ultimate Edition" is possible but I don't think Nintendo will end the Smash series here.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Gonna be honest, if we really did get a second Punch-Out!! rep, I honestly think it should be Doc Louis.

The problem I have with making someone like King Hippo playable is that he's really not that important than the other boxers, who also aren't any important than each other. Doc Louis on the other hand is basically to Little Mac as Palutena is to Pit, if you know what I mean.

King Hippo is pretty iconic bro. Aside from Little Mac, and Mike Tyson, most people that have played Punch Out!! know right off the bat who he is

Neoxon

The NX will most likely get a new game in the series. I can't remember if this was a rumor or not, but wasn't Nintendo gonna rerelease Melee with new content if Sakurai didn't come back for Brawl?
Yes, but the general public pretty much expects a new Smash game each generation, now. Though if what is being speculated about the NX Platform is true, then Nintendo will probably just upgrade the NX Console & NX Handheld every few years. This would make Smash releases weird, since there wouldn't be a new platform to warrant a new Smash game. Then again, we could get Smash 6 about 5 years after the NX Platform is launched (or when the next wave of NX hardware drops, if there's a 5-6 year gap between hardware launches).

We said we wanted another heavyweight, and we wanted another character who may or may not be a villain. Maybe I've been campaigning for the wrong "King" this whole time...

latest

... It's not too late to start pushing him alongside my last section push for Mach Rider very early this morning, right?

Heck, he's the one I put into the ballot.

alongside Tingle, Tap Girl, and Captain Syrup

Crayolan

I expect heavy cuts next game. Good bye Ike. Good bye Falco. Good bye Bowser Jr.

That's exactly what people said about Smash 4. I'm thinking we'll just have fewer newcomers in the next game with bigger core gameplay changes to highlight. Or at least I hope that's what happens.

[QUOTE="D";180624106]Good point, I chose King Hippo as a faux "villain" representative since he's unique in design and functionality[/QUOTE]

There is literally nothing remotely unique or interesting about King Hippo other than the fact that he appeared in Captain N. Give me somebody like Mr. Sandman or Don Flamenco.

"D"

Didn't we predict that this time too?

Cuts from Melee to Brawl:

Mewtwo
Roy
Pichu
Dr. Mario

Cuts from Brawl to Smash 4:

Ice Climbers
Snake
Squirtle
Ivysaur
Wolf
Lucas

Lucario
Jigglypuff
Ness
Lucas
Snake
Sonic
Squirtle
Ivysaur
Charizard
Wolf
Yoshi (lol)
Toon Link
Sheik
Zero Suit Samus
Marth
Ike
Olimar
Wolf
Falco
Meta Knight

I think we're just expecting the worst and hoping for the best, but heavy cuts is pretty unrealistic.

Whoever quoted this and meant it can frost for all eternity in Nifleheim.

[QUOTE="D";180624256]King Hippo is pretty iconic bro. Aside from Little Mac, and Mike Tyson, most people that have played Punch Out!! know right off the bat who he is[/QUOTE]

He's iconic, but that doesn't make him particularly important. He's not even the final boss/opponent of any PO!! game (Tyson/Mr. Dream, Nick Bruiser, and Mr. Sandman have those honors). He's just a boxer on the same level as the other opponents.

I feel like a lot of people let that Captain N cartoon kinda warp their perspective on characters like King Hippo and Simon Belmont being in Smash.

Zubz

Banned
There is literally nothing remotely unique or interesting about King Hippo other than the fact that he appeared in Captain N. Give me somebody like Mr. Sandman or Don Flamenco.

He's pretty charismatic, IMO. On top of being a memorable boss fight, he's visually more cartoony than the other fighters, yet still fits the art style. He claims to be a king of some made-up civilization, and unlike the other fighters, he speaks in roars and grunts.

For his defining character trait being "doesn't own a belt," he's a pretty charismatic character, and I can see why people'd want him. Mr. Sandman'd be cool too, though.

[QUOTE="D";180624482]Whoever quoted this and meant it can frost for all eternity in Nifleheim.[/QUOTE]

Gematsu said they were picking between Ness and Lucas, even if the leaker made it clear that Ness was far more likely. Maybe the person just realized that "far more likey" didn't necessarily mean "in?"

He's iconic, but that doesn't make him particularly important. He's not even the final boss/opponent of any PO!! game (Tyson/Mr. Dream, Nick Bruiser, and Mr. Sandman have those honors). He's just a boxer on the same level as the other opponents.

I feel like a lot of people let that Captain N cartoon kinda warp their perspective on characters like King Hippo and Simon Belmont being in Smash.

See, that's just silly to me. Sakurai doesn't give any weight to "well this villain character should be the final boss of a game before they are playable!"

As for his Captain N role, if we disregard it, he is talked about much more than most of the characters in the series.

"D"

...and that further adds to his exposure to people. You just helped make my point though, not to mention he's on the cover of Punch Out!! Wii the most recent Punch Out game of this generation.

King Hippo is a famous Punch Out!! rep which is primarily the reason why I picked him to possibly be added, whether people think he's unique/interesting or not. We all know Sakurai can put together a moveset for him as well as anyone else. Aside from the retro characters, one thing is for certain about Sakurai's inclusions...more often than not he selects recognizable/popular characters from whatever franchises he's including, with a few missing obvious choices (K. Rool, etc etc)

What makes Mr. Sandman particularly more unique than King Hippo? Seems like Mr. Sandman's schtick is that he's the yin to Mac's yang - a standard boxer.

Since when is King Hippo a "villain"? Once again, he's just a boxer.

Aside from the retro characters, one thing is for certain about Sakurai's inclusions...more often than not he selects recognizable/popular characters from whatever franchises he's including

Yes, but they're usually the mascot or main character of their series or game. King Hippo is iconic, but not important to PO!! in the same way someone like Bowser is to Super Mario.

"D"

Personally, I'd take Mr. Sandman, Bald Bull or Soda Popinski but I wouldn't be surprised at all if King Hippo gets in before them mainly due to popularity and recognition.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The NX Platform is probably gonna get a brand new Smash game. A Smash 4 remaster wouldn't come at the cost of Smash 5, nor should it. That being said, Snake's is probably never returning. At least the Ice Climbers are guaranteed to return in Smash 5 as long as the NX Handheld can handle them.

What's up with your change of heart? I remembered that you kept pushing for NX Port in the past.

Yes, but they're usually the mascot or main character of their series or game. King Hippo is iconic, but not important to PO!! in the same way someone like Bowser is to Super Mario.

1. He's recognized as a video game villain by lots of different publications, including Nintendo Power and IGN.

2. He's a particularly antagonistic boxer.

3. People grew up watching Captain N, which cemented this idea of him being a villain.

Ivan 3414

Lucario
Jigglypuff
Ness
Lucas
Snake
Sonic
Squirtle
Ivysaur
Charizard
Wolf
Yoshi (lol)
Toon Link
Sheik
Zero Suit Samus
Marth
Ike
Olimar
Wolf
Falco
Meta Knight

When Smash 5 is announced we'll still have people saying that Jigglypuff and Ness will be cut lol.

"D"

I know he's not a villain but in Punch Out its basically Little Mac against the world, so pretty much ANYONE can fit the "villain" dynamic. I used the term cause Hippo as well as anyone else from the game could fit the antagonist to Little Mac's protagonist relationship that Smash "somewhat" has as far as its roster inclusions go.

Boney

Banned
We're never ever ever ever getting a second punch out rep and we're not getting a new fzero rep

Jesus h guys they're d tier franchises that don't have any good characters other than their leads

1. He's recognized as a video game villain by lots of different publications, including Nintendo Power and IGN.

2. He's a particularly antagonistic boxer.

3. People grew up watching Captain N, which cemented this idea of him being a villain.

Journalism/Publications and an old cartoon that never even aired in Japan to begin with don't really have much bearing on him being a villain or not. Otherwise, we'd be calling Pit "Kid Icarus".

I bet you people will want Dark Pit back.

Luigified to hell and back, yes.

Pittoo actually doesn't sound that bad on paper to me as someone that played Uprising, since the game has a total of 9 completely different weapon classes each having a bunch of variations, he could, I dunno, use the other ones. Of course this was not the plan behind him at all, but one could dream.

"D"

All B.S aside, I think Captain N could round off the "retro" game characters pretty nicely. His Nintendo controller belt could have some neat little mechanics like pausing people or speeding himself up with a buff.

He could grab people with the cord from the controller LOL or maybe even toss NES cartridges or something, Sakurai could make him come to life very flashy and comedic

My bets are the following :D.

1) Wolf: Last veteran from Brawl (outside of the Pokemon Trainer) that isn't in Smash 4, so with that making him very easy to port-over to Smash 4 alongside it being a great tie-in with Star Fox Zero, I expect him to come at some point :D.

2) King K. Rool: We need another villain and he is a great pick. Another DKC rep, his moveset has a lot of potential and he is an all around highly-requested character.
3) Shovel Knight or Inking Girl/Boy: I say either due to not being sure. Nintendo might want to rep the indie community with a indie character.....but at the same time, Shovel Knight isn't at close to Nintendo as say, Shantae or Bit.Trip.Runner. I would love him in Smash though, so that's why I list him :). I list Inkling due to her/him being a big Nintendo star; a great pick for a character in Smash. A ton of moveset potential, great style and is an overall awesome character to put in Smash.

Gee you missed IC and Snake.

Captain N would be an even bigger headscratcher, honestly. He's not even a video game character, and his cartoon never aired in Japan to begin with.

It just seems forced to me. Every retro character in Smash represents something significant in Nintendo's history, like the NES Zapper or the Game & Watch line. I'm struggling to think of the Captain N cartoon's overall significance other then being a (poorly made) NA only cartoon designed to advertise some Nintendo products.

tauroxd

If Inkling was a DLC character, that'd mean there wouldn't be another Smash game for a long time.

I still want Ridley playable. I will never give up on it. Ever.

There won't be a new Smash game for a long while. Melee was released on November of 2001 and Brawl on January of 2008, 6 years; Smash4 was released on September of 2014, more than 6 years.

I'm hoping he does get in!

By the way, are we talking about Naked Snake, Solid Snake or rather.... Venom Snake?!

Brawl's Snake. ;)

This!

Neoxon

What's up with your change of heart? I remembered that you kept pushing for NX Port in the past.
I'm not saying that the NX Platform shouldn't get a Smash 4 port, I'm saying that it shouldn't get one at the cost of a unique Smash 5. A remastered Smash 4 should only be a means to pad out the launch of the NX Platform while Smash 5 is being worked on, nothing more.

Gee you missed IC and Snake.
Both of which have technical & legal issues respectively.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
There won't be a new Smash game for a long while. Melee was released on November of 2001 and Brawl on January of 2008, 6 years; Smash4 was released on September of 2014, more than 6 years.

I still think that we might see it more sooner than 6 years depend on what's going with NX and Nintendo.

"D"

Captain N would be an even bigger headscratcher, honestly. He's not even a video game character, and his cartoon never aired in Japan to begin with.

It just seems forced to me. Every retro character in Smash represents something significant in Nintendo's history, like the NES Zapper or the Game & Watch line. I'm struggling to think of the Captain N cartoon's overall significance other then being a (poorly made) NA only cartoon designed to advertise some Nintendo products.

Fire Emblem wasn't big here until Melee and Lucas' game didn't even release here and they all are doing fine.

Not to mention folks in Japan didn't really know who Little Mac was but seen OUR reaction to him and was like "oh okay, the AMERICANS wanted him" basically

Neoxon

Peach has been dead since Melee!

Anyway, I certainly didn't predict any massive cuts for Smash 4. But now we're at Marvel 2 roster size, I'll predict it for Smash 5.
In the case of Marvel 2, most of the sprites were straight-up ports from other Capcom games using the same sprite engine. I wouldn't expect a Vanilla Marvel 3-esque downsizing unless Smash 5 uses an entirely new engine. And even then, external companies don't have that much of a stake in the roster (Sega & Namco have 1 character each, Capcom has 2, & The Pokémon Company has 6).

[QUOTE="D";180626048]Fire Emblem wasn't big here until Melee and Lucas' game didn't even release here and they all are doing fine.

Not to mention folks in Japan didn't really know who Little Mac was but seen OUR reaction to him and was like "oh okay, the AMERICANS wanted him" basically[/QUOTE]

Well yes, FE and Mother 3 came out in Japan, where Sakurai lives and where Smash is made. Captain N wasn't. And not only is Little Mac still a video game character, PO!! still saw game releases in Japan.

Seda

Hey, gonna consolidate some redundant threads. Since we already have an active thread dedicated to DLC roster speculation, I'm going to funnel discussion there.

We have an ongoing community thread for Smash Ballot (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1021840)

A current thread for the last day of voting (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1119402) - This might be closed eventually once we start playing the waiting game for vote results or whatever.

Recent DLC (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1118526)

And the main Smash thread of course (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1058863)

Let me know if you think this should be organized another way. Please do continue to make new threads for new news, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom