• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U/3DS: 3 Character Slots & 3 Stage Slots Found in Recent Patch Data (1.1.1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, they were fully functional on the Wii U version, anyway. Sakurai himself admitted that they were only cut from said version for parity reasons.

Doesn't mean completed. Could have been just basic functionality and they quickly learned it would cause issues. Probably spent some time trying to address the issue and then cut them when they figured it wasn't feasible.

Cannot imagine the character made it far enough along to be done before it was canned.

Since there was just an update, I don't see these releasing for at least another month. They might do something like with Ryu/Lucas/Roy and want them ready to release on the same day.

ffdgh

Doesn't mean completed. Could have been just basic functionality and they quickly learned it would cause issues. Probably spent some time trying to address the issue and then cut them when they figured it wasn't feasible.

Cannot imagine the character made it far enough along to be done before it was canned.

Well....there is brawl mewtwo to an extent.

RK128

My bets are the following :D.

1) Wolf: Last veteran from Brawl (outside of the Pokemon Trainer) that isn't in Smash 4, so with that making him very easy to port-over to Smash 4 alongside it being a great tie-in with Star Fox Zero, I expect him to come at some point :D.
2) King K. Rool: We need another villain and he is a great pick. Another DKC rep, his moveset has a lot of potential and he is an all around highly-requested character.
3) Shovel Knight or Inking Girl/Boy: I say either due to not being sure. Nintendo might want to rep the indie community with a indie character.....but at the same time, Shovel Knight isn't at close to Nintendo as say, Shantae or Bit.Trip.Runner. I would love him in Smash though, so that's why I list him :). I list Inkling due to her/him being a big Nintendo star; a great pick for a character in Smash. A ton of moveset potential, great style and is an overall awesome character to put in Smash.

woopWOOP

[QUOTE="D";180595590]I'm just curious, why do so many people want Pichu to return so badly? Wasn't he not all that great in Melee, and don't we have enough Pokemon already? I'm not intentionally stirring up shit but I genuinely want to know

Why not have a new character more deserving instead?[/QUOTE]
Late response, but I love joke characters. I'd pay money to play as a crappy self-damaging clone of Pikachu (especially if he's not even that bad just like he wasn't in Melee).

Alternatively I'll take a joke newcomer. Waddle Dee as a clone of Kirby, except all of his attacks have short range or just make him trip instead (tho in a damaging Dedede style).
His B-move wouldn't do anything because he doesn't have a mouth.

PSqueak

Banned
[QUOTE="D";180596384]
- King Hippo (dunno how he'd work but Sakurai is creative enough to think of something)

[/QUOTE]

Frankly, if we get another Punch Out rep it's hard to think one that is not just another boxer, i personally think that the perfect rep would be Dragon Chan, because then you can make him completely different from mac starting from the fact that he would have kicks and you could have him be mac's opposite: more dangerous in the air than in the ground.

TDLink

People want pichu just because he was in melee. Which is a really stupid reason, especially since he was just a pikachu clone.

It'd definitely be a waste to get him back. If they want to bring back an old pokemon, at least do someone with a unique moveset like squirtle or ivysaur

Punch-Out!! character that feels unique? That's easy

1. Great Tiger - Has the ability to hover, can harness various elements in his attacks, can teleport, can create after-images. Like Dragon Chan, he could be an aerial fighter, but with a lot more variety in terms of what he can do.
2. King Hippo - could have an ability where he attaches a manhole shield to his stomach, could be super based around super armour and would generally be a stranger kind of character than Mac
3. Glass Joe - would be too miserable to play anything like Mac
4. Bald Bull - could have a kind of super DI, where there's a chance that he can survive a high-knockback hit with the proper timing
5. Aran Ryan - all the cheating and erratic movements
6. Soda Popinski - drinks soda to get various buffs

etc.

Gonna be honest, if we really did get a second Punch-Out!! rep, I honestly think it should be Doc Louis.

The problem I have with making someone like King Hippo playable is that he's really not that important than the other boxers, who also aren't any important than each other. Doc Louis on the other hand is basically to Little Mac as Palutena is to Pit, if you know what I mean.

Gonna be honest, if we really did get a second Punch-Out!! rep, I honestly think it should be Doc Louis.

The problem I have with making someone like King Hippo playable is that he's really not that important than the other boxers, who also aren't any important than each other. Doc Louis on the other hand is basically to Little Mac as Palutena is to Pit, if you know what I mean.

We already have a protagonist boxer, we need an antagonist boxer - especially since the opponents are the true stars of the series.

Gsnap

NOA just tweeted that an Inkopolis stage is coming to Smash Wii U in november.

The tweet is gone now. Showed a picture of the stage and the music selection. I didn't think to get a picture because I didn't think they'd take it down... : /

The tweet is gone now. Showed a picture of the stage and the music selection. I didn't think to get a picture because I didn't think they'd take it down... : /
Uh huh.

Crayolan

Which NoA? America or Americo?

Clefargle

People want pichu just because he was in melee. Which is a really stupid reason, especially since he was just a pikachu clone.

It'd definitely be a waste to get him back. If they want to bring back an old pokemon, at least do someone with a unique moveset like squirtle or ivysaur

This, pichu is not only a clone but a joke clone. No one would actually use him
(besides Esam).

Clov

I follow NoA on Twitter and I didn't see anything like that on my feed. I expect Inklings+ a stage for Smash at some point, but nothing's confirmed yet.

Didn't see it either and I was actively refreshing my Twitter feed for something else.

Sponge

Banned

Someone had to have gotten it, right?

Who

Banned

I want ivysaur so bad...

... With the PM moveset.

We already have a protagonist boxer, we need an antagonist boxer - especially since the opponents are the true stars of the series.

When it comes to series with reoccuring main characters (so exclude Mother and Fire Emblem in this scenario), Sakurai has always added a secondary protagonist or some sort of side character before adding a villain/anti-hero.

Mario -> Luigi -> Bowser
Fox -> Falco -> Wolf
Donkey Kong -> Diddy
Pit -> Palutena -> Dark Pit
Link -> Zelda -> Ganondorf

I don't think Sakurai has ever right away added a villain before the "sidekick". Bowser was planned to be in 64 but not over Luigi. Diddy got in before K. Rool ever could lol. Palutena and Zelda were planned to be in Smash 4 and Melee from the beginning, while Dark Pit and Gdorf were thrown in later on.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

You are only one saw that so I dunno about that.

J@hranimo

Banned

Sorry Gsnap, but...I don't believe you.

Gsnap

Well I'm not the type to make stuff up for no reason. Never have as long as I've been on here. That's why I'm saying it here instead of making an entire thread about it.

Unless it was retweeted by someone else I'm following from some gag account. But I doubt that's the case.

You don't have to believe me. Just wondering if anybody else saw what I saw. I did a google search to see if anyone had got a picture but I guess not.

That's ok if you don't believe me. Obviously people make up stupid stuff all the time, so take it with a grain of salt if you want.

Ah there it is. So it was a retweet of some gag account. Ok nevermind then.

Platy

The only right answer

tumblr_n1sehk59VQ1rx4viwo1_500.jpg

OMG ! He is my 3rd character =O

Like I said in the other thread

Made my smash idea into my Inktober drawing of the day

DPkVxWA.png

Hanafuda and L Block fighting on the Love Hotel stage !

Failed miserably to reproduce the old 1963/64 logo on the hotel =/

19Z7RH9.png

L Block from Tetris as the 3rd Party character
Hanafuda Deck from Nintendo Cards past
Captain N from Captain N The Game Master

For maximum Nintendo obscure past feels

When it comes to series with reoccuring main characters (so exclude Mother and Fire Emblem in this scenario), Sakurai has always added a secondary protagonist or some sort of side character before adding a villain/anti-hero.

Mario -> Luigi -> Bowser
Fox -> Falco -> Wolf
Donkey Kong -> Diddy
Pit -> Palutena -> Dark Pit
Link -> Zelda -> Ganondorf

I don't think Sakurai has ever right away added a villain before the "sidekick". Bowser was planned to be in 64 but not over Luigi. Diddy got in before K. Rool ever could lol. Palutena and Zelda were planned to be in Smash 4 and Melee from the beginning, while Dark Pit and Gdorf were thrown in later on.

1. Luigi was added because he was easy to make - he was the proto-clone. We can't know for certain if Bowser came before that part or after.
2. Wolf was planned before Falco, but was dropped because he looked too similar. Falco would have been added in Brawl or never if Sakurai had decided to stick with Wolf.

Villains in general are under-utilized in Smash, but we've only now gotten a series whose most well-liked and interesting characters are villains.

KingBroly

Banned
If Inkling was a DLC character, that'd mean there wouldn't be another Smash game for a long time.

I still want Ridley playable. I will never give up on it. Ever.

Wolf was never planned for Melee, that's an old, unsubstantiated rumor.

I see.

Nevertheless, the point on Luigi/Bowser still stands. Sakurai doesn't have a pattern of prioritizing side characters over villains. It's just how it turns out. Of course Diddy Kong beat out K. Rool for instance - K. Rool doesn't have a huge racing game, nor is he the starring character of his own game.

TDLink

If Inkling was a DLC character, that'd mean there wouldn't be another Smash game for a long time.

I still want Ridley playable. I will never give up on it. Ever.

There probably won't be another for a long time. It makes too much sense to just do an "ultimate" version for nx rather than develop a whole new game. Sakurai is not going to jump straight into a new smash and I see nintendo being slightly hesitant to jump straight in without him

Luigi being easy to make obviously would be a point in his favor...that being said, I'd say being the secondary protagonist of the most famous video game series ever is an even bigger advantage. You can't represent Super Mario Bros. without, well, the bro.

There probably won't be another for a long time. It makes too much sense to just do an "ultimate" version for nx rather than develop a whole new game. Sakurai is not going to jump straight into a new smash and I see nintendo being slightly hesitant to jump straight in without him

This is what I've been thnking/arguing, that it makes so much more sense to bring this game back for the NX. Give it all stages and characters from both games/DLC, add new content in all respects, and add some new modes of play. Keep the engine the same, so as to avoid creating a too-short tournament scene.

Luigi being easy to make obviously would be a point in his favor...that being said, I'd say being the secondary protagonist of the most famous video game series ever is an even bigger advantage. You can't represent Super Mario Bros. without, well, the bro.

But if it was a big enough advantage, I'd expect that they would have included him for reasons besides "he was easy to make." Sakurai didn't say "gotta have the other brother", he said "eh, it was pretty easy so I did it". It's like how Pichu is not more important than King Dedede just because Sakurai added it instead of him.

Ultimately however, all of the games you've mentioned put the heroes in bigger roles than the villains. Doc Louis is not bigger than many of Punch-Out!!'s villains.

Zalman

I hope they realize there's no need to start from scratch again. The main attraction will always be the newcomers.

Dr. Buni

I only hope none of the newcomer characters are Pokémon or Fire Emblem lords, assuming any of the slots are reserved for newcomers. Enough is enough.

I really want Inklings, Dixie Kong, Bomberman, King K. Rool and Professor Layton. I like the idea of Shovel Knight in Smash, too, but he is not a character I reaaaaaally want. But my two top picks are definitely Dixie and Inklings. I also want Ridley, but it is not happening.
The main attraction will always be the newcomers.
With the roster the size it is right now + a couple more DLC we are getting, they will need find a different "main attraction" in the next game. I mean, we still get more characters in Smash 5, but there's no way they will introduce over 15 characters again, unless they cut a considerable portion of the Smash 4 roster. That or they will completely throw away the competitive aspect of Smash and keep adding characters and more characters, ignoring the balance.

Berordn

With the roster the size it is right now + a couple more DLC we are getting, they will need find a different "main attraction" in the next game. I mean, we still get more characters in Smash 5, but there's no way they will introduce over 15 characters again, unless they cut a considerable portion of the Smash 4 roster. That or they will completely throw away the competitive aspect of Smash and keep adding characters and more characters, ignoring the balance.

If they drop the pretense of building a whole new game for the new platform and just make a Smash 4 Ultimate NX edition, I don't see that being as much of an issue.

Sure balancing is still gonna take time, but it's not like they're having to actively develop the engine or assets for these characters again.

I only hope none of the newcomer characters are Pokémon or Fire Emblem lords, assuming any of the slots are reserved for newcomers. Enough is enough.

I really want Inklings, Dixie Kong, Bomberman, King K. Rool and Professor Layton. I like the idea of Shovel Knight in Smash, too, but he is not a character I reaaaaaally want. But my two top picks are definitely Dixie and Inklings. I also want Ridley, but it is not happening.

That's the point and value of making basically "Super Smash Bros. Super Turbo Remix" though - people want to see newcomers, and they don't want to see any significant drop from one game to the next. They could easily give a selection of new characters and fighters, as well as some new modes, to such a degree that it would feel like they created a new game inside of Smash 4. In this scenario, there wouldn't be any recreation of veterans, there wouldn't be testing for a new engine, and there would be less work needed to balance out the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom