• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Extreme enough to attribute complex economic and business statuses of a huge international company to their use of cartoon characters in video games, not extreme enough to spend several thousand dollars to spite said cartoon character I'm thankful to say.

Golnei

Who want to see this character?

Only if they don't end up being a clone of Bag.

if they're going for costume route I'd be disappointed if it's just Red. We should have a complete set!

While I'd be happy to have anything at all, I agree that only having one would be a little disappointing - especially since the characters neatly map to all the current Mii types; and more than likely any future Mii movesets they might include in future. Wonder-Bayonetta, Jeanne and Rodin costumes wouldn't be bad choices, either...

Zubz

Banned
Who want to see this character?

There're plenty of characters I'd rather see first, but despite being revealed alongside the Villager and Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer ended up being my main. For all we know, Style Savvy Woman could be new best character?

I'd actively fight for a lot of characters more strongly. Ridley? Wonder Red? Bayonetta? K. Rool? Daisy? Bomberman? Andy? We could go all day for characters I'd push for over a Style Savvy rep. But outside of the first two, I'd be far more excited for a Style Savvy reveal trailer.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
wait, wait

wait

you watch Aikatsu!?

Well not "watch" as in want to understand with subs.

The whole context: I watch Pokemon XY in a live stream. An hour before it airs has Tamagotchi and Aikatsu. I usually turn on the stream around an hour before Pokemon XY. Two years ago it's Aikatsu -> Tamagotchi -> XY, this year it's Tamagotchi -> Aikatsu -> XY in airtime. So yeah I usually catch them airing.

Also it has a fucking catchy opening. Also Rin is best Aikatsu.

Forkball

Jibanyan_Artwork.png

Yokai Watch is probably the biggest third party Nintendo exclusive (ok I think there are some mobile spinoffs) franchise in years. It's a pop culture phenomenon in Japan and the 3DS games have sold millions of copies and are undoubtedly system sellers for some. Its cast certainly has more relevancy and notoriety than a lot of Nintendo characters we haven't seen in years. Jibanyan as a DLC fighter would be a pretty big acquisition. Not to mention Yokai Watch is coming to the states, and while there will be English names, Jibanyan will be untouched.

I would like to see Eggman as well. He's gotta stay in a robot though, I don't want to see his lanky ass running across the stage. They could be lazy and make him a heavy Bowser Jr. clone, or maybe his gimmick could be that his robot can transform which changes the specials. Think of it like being able to switch between custom moves in battle.

Also here's a curveball: MARIO MAKER

super-mario-maker.jpg

That's a pretty distinctive outfit Mario's got there. Way better than a damn lab coat. Maybe he could summon up random enemies and items from the Mario games. Also a Mario Maker stage with a bunch of crazy elements is pretty much a lock for DLC or Smash 5.

And let's go even nuttier... 8 BIT MARIO
Mario-Maker-1.jpg

I'm not sure what moves he could have... but since Nintendo is running out of huge characters to put in Smash, I can see them having a lot of Mario variations. Mario, Dr. Mario, Mario Maker, Paper Mario, 8-Bit Mario etc. They can be the shotos of Smash. EVERYONE LOVES SHOTOS.

Neoxon

While I don't doubt that Nintendo would push for Jinbanyan somehow, the question is if he'll be added now as DLC or be saved for Smash 5.

TrueBlue

Ugh. I don't want Yokai Watch characters solely because it's just Pokemon 2.0, and I can't stand Pokemon games. ~_~

That's a silly reason.

While I don't doubt that Nintendo would push for Jinbanyan somehow, the question is if he'll be added now as DLC or be saved for Smash 5.

I'm leaning towards Smash 5, if only because Yokai Watch hasn't got a western presence as of yet.

Then again, Marth and Roy were playable in Melee under similar circumstances, so we'll see.

Neoxon

I'm leaning towards Smash 5, if only because Yokai Watch hasn't got a western presence as of yet.

Then again, Marth and Roy were playable in Melee under similar circumstances, so we'll see.
It's just that Jinbanyan seems like an obvious choice for a future third party inclusion that I'm surprised I didn't think of until now. Altus doesn't have a mascot per-say besides Jack Frost or, to an extent, Yu Narukami (neither of whom have a ton of Nintendo appearances beyond a few SMT games for Jack Frost & Persona Q for Yu). Though I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai just went ahead with Yu & had him use multiple Personas (Jack Frost included) to set him apart from his P4A self. Now Square-Enix I could see getting a rep as well, but it'd be kinda hard to narrow it down to the ones significant to Nintendo.

TrueBlue

It's just that Jinbanyan seems like an obvious choice for a future third party inclusion that I'm surprised I didn't think of until now. Altus doesn't have a mascot per-say besides Jack Frost or, to an extent, Yu Narukami (neither of whom have a ton of Nintendo appearances beyond a few SMT games for Jack Frost & Persona Q for Yu). Though I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai just went ahead with Yu & had him use multiple Personas (Jack Frost included) to set him apart from his P4A self. Now Square-Enix I could see getting a rep as well, but it'd be kinda hard to narrow it down to the ones significant to Nintendo.

By the time a Smash 5 releases, I imagine Youkai Watch would have had a couple of its sequels released in the West, assuming it does well. I can see Jinbanyan being more readily requested come then.

I'd love the SE rep to be Neku from TWEWY, but I realise that's unrealistic. The much argued notion of a FF job class seems like a decent bet.

Zubz

Banned
Jibanyan_Artwork.png

Yokai Watch is probably the biggest third party Nintendo exclusive (ok I think there are some mobile spinoffs) franchise in years. It's a pop culture phenomenon in Japan and the 3DS games have sold millions of copies and are undoubtedly system sellers for some. Its cast certainly has more relevancy and notoriety than a lot of Nintendo characters we haven't seen in years. Jibanyan as a DLC fighter would be a pretty big acquisition. Not to mention Yokai Watch is coming to the states, and while there will be English names, Jibanyan will be untouched.

Oh, hey look! It's the one character more "One of the very few characters I explicitly don't want in but acknowledge has a very good chance"-ier than Robin! Granted, I love how they pulled Robin off, and despite the tremendous following of American 20-something's Smash has, Japanese kids are still the target demo, so I guess a Yokai Watch rep makes sense, and is more likely than anyone I'd want, like Wonder Red, Bayonetta, or Ridley.

I loved how Robin was executed and warmed up to them as soon as I saw their playstyle. My only hope is, if we get Red Cat, that (s)he doesn't suck/isn't explicitly picked over, say, K. Rool. It was a lame argument pre-release when everything came out of Sakurai's beautiful mind, but now that we're in Ballot Country, I can totally see Character A getting picked by Sakurai over Character B. I know nothing about the character other than it being Pikachu as a Ghost Cat, so who knows? It could be a hoot! I just know that, going off of character alone, I'd rather have The Bag.

Seems shaky, especially since it doesn't seem like there's much reason to believe the screenshot is even legit in the first place. I would be down with Tingle though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Also Amiibo != in Smash. Otherwise we'd have the Inklings, Chibi Robo and the Animal Crossing characters coming.

Zubz

Banned
I am so gonna miss this line.

We're gonna have fun with this thing~

Hey, it'll probably be back! Just with a British accent.

Rumor: Super Mario Maker has a Tingle costume http://t.co/CikzS3tyrm http://t.co/iQiG0HZhCa

So apparently there's a Tingle costume in Mario Maker

Tingle amiibo >>>> Smash DLC?!?!?!?!?

I dunno if that inherently means there'll be Tingle DLC for Smash; we already know Isabelle, Toad, and the Inklings have costumes, and we're only at 50 Amiibo, despite there being 99 Costumes, so there has to be more characters than Amiibo. Still, if a case was ever to be made for Tingle, now's the time.

My money's on Hyrule Warriors Amiiboa, though, and/or costumes for other characters from major Nintendo series without Amiibo, like Ridley, Bandanna Dee, or a Rhythm Heaven rep. I mean, at the very least, I bet Popo and Wolf'll have costumes.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Also Amiibo != in Smash. Otherwise we'd have the Inklings, Chibi Robo and the Animal Crossing characters coming.
Otoh, with Zelda U not releasing any time soon I see no other time to start promoting Zelda themed amiibos. Unless they really wanna push Triforce Heroes.

Zubz

Banned
Otoh, with Zelda U not releasing any time soon I see no other time to start promoting Zelda themed amiibos. Unless they really wanna push Triforce Heroes.

Well, we're getting an Xtreme Legends version of Hyrule Warriors soon. Seeing how it's a Zelda crossover, now's the perfect time for Zelda Amiibos! They'll probably never have Tetra, Darunia, Midna, and Ghirahim in the same game again, so this allows them to make Amiibo of everyone for a single game.

If Mario Party 10 was their excuse for a Mario Amiibo set, Hyrule Warriors 3DS is their best bet for a Zelda one.

I'd be willing to start putting a crap ton of cash on amiibos if they do a 30th anniversary lineup of Zelda amiibos. All types, 8-bit Link, Hyrule Warriors, the works.

jph139

I think the Hyrule Warriors amiibo would be beautiful and amazing, but I think we missed the boat on that one. They'd have announced them at E3 alongside the 3DS port, I think, if anything.

Always a possibility - maybe they'll include new functionality as part of the update that adds Tetra and the King to the Wii U version.

Kjellson

One character that I think would be cool but will never happen in a long, LONG time is King Boo. He is the main antagonist in the Luigi's Mansion games after all.

But then it would have to be the design from the LM games:

iHlC2GQ.jpg

And not the ugly thing they use in other games:

250px-King_Boo_Artwork_MSS.PNG

One character that I think would be cool but will never happen in a long, LONG time is King Boo. He is the main antagonist in the Luigi's Mansion games after all.

iHlC2GQ.jpg

He definitely needs too return to Mario Kart first before he'll get considered for Smash (seriously, they removed so many veterans in MK8 it's ridiculous).

Does anyone know how the poll actually works, since it allows you to vote infinitely. I've voted a couple of times over the last couple of months and never sure if I submit a new one if it's tied to my IP and it overwrites the data they have for the original one.

And just throwing it out there, I'd really want to see Wolf, Solo Nana/Popo, Krystal, Dixie Kong, Marshal/Matt, Impa, Lip, Anna, Daisy, or Bandana Dee (Or K.Rool if he hasn't been counted out yet). So pretty much, I'd be happy with any of the above who people typically vote for anyway, but mainly after more females to be representing even after the vanilla roster did an ok job of improving numbers initially, we need more!

I wouldn't even be that mad if we saw Pichu back to be honest, just because why not?! It's always fun when you can win with such a useless but adorable character, and Smash could do with an actual Dan-tier character. Everyone else is coming back so why not?

Golnei

Jibanyan is definitely plausible, considering how ruthlessly efficient the Yokai Watch child milking apparatus is, but it still seems like a fairly forced inclusion - I can only hope the franchise will have been driven into the ground by the time SSB5's newcomers are under consideration. Though I wouldn't mind it quite as much if it came with a Professor Layton assist trophy...

He definitely needs too return to Mario Kart first before he'll get considered for Smash (seriously, they removed so many veterans in MK8 it's ridiculous).

500px-Bowserjr_MP9.png

iHlC2GQ.jpg

With the rise of alt costumes being more than just palette swaps:
c7NJRa2.gif

[Bowser Jr]

Junior has been in various mainline Mario games despite being axed from Mario Kart, though, as well as in most (if not all?) other sport spin-offs that weren't MK.

Tingle being in Mario Maker doesn't mean shit since the costumes aren't limited to amiibo characters, but he'd absolutely be my first pick for a Zelda newcomer. Then Impa, who I reckon has enough original stuff in HW plus some classic Zelda moves still unrepresented in Smash (I still reeeeeeeally want Ganondorf to inherit Deadman's Volley at some point though) that could stop her from feeling like a Sheik repeat.

After that I'm cool with them going with one-off wonders like Skull Kid/Midna/Ghirahim/etc., but they're probably a ways off from resorting to that.

Would all of his taunts just be variations of Kooloo Limpah?

Be cool if they went obscure and had him fuse a kinstone as a taunt.

Also Skull Kid isn't technically a one off character. He's in three games and its presumed to be the same kid based on him knowing Saria's Song in all three. He only played a star role once however.

Would all of his taunts just be variations of Kooloo Limpah?

Be cool if they went obscure and had him fuse a kinstone as a taunt.

Also Skull Kid isn't technically a one off character. He's in three games and its presumed to be the same kid based on him knowing Saria's Song in all three. He only played a star role once however.

Kinstone fusion could be a pretty neat attack too.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
They have his games for a lot of inspiration. In fact one of the ideas I had for a Tingle moveset gimmick was based of the fighting system of his first game (never played the second).

Yeah. They could have some variety of moves based on the battle engine in Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland. His Up B definitely has to be a balloon that rises quickly. Summoning bodyguards could also be incorporated into the moveset. There are just tons of things you could do with Tingle - Rupees, bodyguards, bombs, etc.

Tingle has a huge amount of moveset potential. Aside from the aforementioned bodyguards, he also has the ability to cook various potions and mixtures, so you could include that in his moveset somehow. He's also got a dog named Barkle which you could incorporate.

Yah it's a joke they use over there

The game itself would probably just use Kremling names as the lines of text; Koding: Klump, Koloring: Klap Trap and so on

Zubz

Banned
Summoning KAOS from DKC3 would be the superior Final Smash.

This guy knows what's up. The Kredits were mind blowing the first time they happened in DKC. Even if an actual Kredits FS would be something other than Smash Board memes, it wouldn't have the same impact if it happened all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom