• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass Graphics Comparison (Unreal Engine 4): PS4 vs Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irminsul

Where did you get the idea that the PS4 version fluctuates between 40 and 60? Why would you even say that unless you know?

I also saw some Polygon footage of the PS4 version a few days ago running with an unstable, unlocked frame-rate but the actual final version is a rock solid 30fps on a standard PS4. Odd.
Because there's footage out there captured at 60fps, and the version shown is definitely not 60fps.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
i'm not english native either, but demanding should be tied to using resources wisely, optimized. because a simple calculator app can be demanding if done wrong.
That's exactly what demanding means in the context of computers - something takes certain high resources to run. Nothing in the meaning of demanding implies those resources were used wisely.

Hindl

Damn looks pretty good. PS4 is clearly better but the Switch version looks alright. And it'll probably look even better on the tablet

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The Switch has quickly become the default couples console at our place.
We could have bought the game on Xbox One but why bother? The Switch has sucked my non-gaming partner and friends in like the Wii did.
First Zelda and now Snake Pass. She's humming a David Wise tune in the shower right now.

The sacrifices made to the Switch version are minor for me and non-existent to most.
Like so many have already said, there's something special to say about the fact we can play these pretty good looking games on tv and then take it on the go.

Oh and the game is really fun too.

Yea...the Switch has the potential to capture that Wii magic.

Wii was non-HD and it didnt matter overall according to sales.

bomblord1

Banned
I feel like I stepped into bizzaro world. Are we watching the same video?

How is that NOT 1080p?

Switch
captureivup6.jpg

PS4
capture28uux9.jpg

Maybe someone with more time (and who knows what they are doing) could take a full frame and count the steps but it looks like the only thing we're looking at here is a difference in AA

valkyre

Why do so many people sound astonished at Switch performance for this title here?

Is there some sort of technical awesomeness that eludes me?

Looks like a very simple game to me... nothing to write home about technically. Of course and it looks very close to PS4.

Goodlife

Why do so many people sound astonished at Switch performance for this title here?

Is there some sort of technical awesomeness that eludes me?

Looks like a very simple game to me... nothing to write home about technically. Of course and it looks very close to PS4.

PS4 can't lock at 60fps, so it's clearly not that simple a game.
Switch port was done very quickly.

It's a good sign for the Switch

Peltz

It'll be good to remember that a similiarity like that is extremely impressive for machines that are so different in size:
qjhpgDh.png
Its even more impressive considering how much of the Switch's internals are taken up by a battery + screen. Incredible, really.

That photo is also misleading considering the joycons are attached.

If it weren't a handheld device, I doubt it would be much bigger than a Vita TV.

Seems like a fairly promising start for UE4 on Switch, particularly given the rapid porting time.

Obviously, UE4 isn't a magic bullet and not all games using the engine will be able to overcome the performance gap without more intensive development, but at the very least, it seems like UE4 is much better optimized for Switch than UE3 ever was for Wii U.

valkyre

PS4 can't lock at 60fps, so it's clearly not that simple a game.
Switch port was done very quickly.

It's a good sign for the Switch

You mean to tell me that the devs of this game were meticulous enough in regards to optimization and eventually after juicing out 100% of what Unreal Engine 4 can do on PS4 (or even Switch for that matter) went back to 30 fps because they realized that PS4 cant handle it?

Would you also claim that Telltale's Batman game that runs and looks like dogshit is indicative of what the PS4 can do?

I am sorry but I do not believe that this game has maxed out PS4 performance. And I dont think the development team made a huge effort in terms of graphics. And right they did, this game isnt about graphics benchmarks at all... its about pure fun.

You know, even though it might be only 720p and 30fps this still looks amazing. I mean, in terms of image quality it looks basically the same.
That's pretty cool. I hope more games will follow this trend (as opposed to not even releasing the game on Switch at all).

Schnozberry

Maybe someone with more time (and who knows what they are doing) could take a full frame and count the steps but it looks like the only thing we're looking at here is a difference in AA

I'm wondering the same thing. Clearly depth of field and Anti-Aliasing are using different solutions on both platforms. The result of whatever is happening on the PS4 is a sharper image. Hopefully this can be addressed at some point. Seems like the Switch version was developed very quickly and while UE4 was still being baked for the platform. It still looks pretty good for a short development timeline.

Edit: There are other downgrades on Switch as well, including shadows and some lighting effects. But nothing that would explain the blurry image quality.

Buggy Loop

You mean to tell me that the devs of this game were meticulous enough in regards to optimization and eventually after juicing out 100% of what Unreal Engine 4 can do on PS4 (or even Switch for that matter) went back to 30 fps because they realized that PS4 cant handle it?

Would you also claim that Telltale's Batman game that runs and looks like dogshit is indicative of what the PS4 can do?

I am sorry but I do not believe that this game has maxed out PS4 performance. And I dont think the development team made a huge effort in terms of graphics. And right they did, this game isnt about graphics benchmarks at all... its about pure fun.

I don't think anyone is saying that the devs mastered graphic tech on any platforms.

But if it runs in a certain way, unoptimized, on a platform, it's not magically optimized for the other one either.

Yes it's a good sign for Switch, as in, finally Nintendo has unreal 4 support, it seems easy enough to develop for, and can squeeze some nice performances. Nobody is saying this is the max Switch will achieve, or that it's PS4's Horizon..

valkyre

I don't think anyone is saying that the devs mastered graphic tech on any platforms.

But if it runs in a certain way, unoptimized, on a platform, it's not magically optimized for the other one either.

Yes it's a good sign for Switch, as in, finally Nintendo has unreal 4 support, it seems easy enough to develop for, and can squeeze some nice performances. Nobody is saying this is the max Switch will achieve, or that it's PS4's Horizon..

Which is exactly why I am wondering why everyone looks so surprised that Switch can handle this game just fine.

How is that NOT 1080p?

Switch
captureivup6.jpg

PS4
capture28uux9.jpg

Yeah, docked looks pretty good imo. Undocked, I'm not a fan of.

Marmelade

This looks more realistic to me. Clear downgrades in lighting/shadowing and lower texturing quality. I'm thinking the first one is PC vs PC, trying to emulate the devices...

Yeah the video in the OP is, well, a little suspicious
It doesn't seem to use Switch footage and according to dark10x even the PS4 part is somewhat off

Goodlife

No, I do not.
Do you believe the devs were meticulous in regards to optimization, for the switch version (especially seeing as it was ported in a matter on months)

Behlel

Its even more impressive considering how much of the Switch's internals are taken up by a battery + screen. Incredible, really.

That photo is also misleading considering the joycons are attached.

If it weren't a handheld device, I doubt it would be much bigger than a Vita TV.

dzs0s38.jpg

Yeah the PS4 is so much bigger inside the case /s

BDGAME

How is that NOT 1080p?

Switch
captureivup6.jpg

PS4
capture28uux9.jpg

For some reason, that reminds me of the good'n old N64 vs Psx discussions. Hehehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom