• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass Graphics Comparison (Unreal Engine 4): PS4 vs Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrier

No one is saying it's a technical marvel, just that people saying "it's not a demanding game on PS4 so it's no wonder it looks decent on Switch" are ignoring that it is pushing the limit of the PS4, even if that's due to poor optimization. Which would mean it's equally (or likely more) unoptimized on the Switch, so it would theoretically be the same comparison if it was far more demanding.

we do not know what the switch can offer when pushed, but we do know what the ps4 can do , so we have references for ps4 and we haven't for switch. That gives you an answer why some consider this game not optimized on ps4, it is very probable, isn't it? It is also quite possible that can run better on switch too, we just do not know where the limit is.
THis added that ps4 is running uncapped at 40-50fps, so maybe the devs could optimize the game a bit more and get it up to 60fps, or make it run at 30 (considering it is a slow paced game so no issue) and increase visual fidelity.

I don't quite get it. I'm no English native speaker, but "demanding" to me has nothing to do how well a game uses a system's resources.
i'm not english native either, but demanding should be tied to using resources wisely, optimized. because a simple calculator app can be demanding if done wrong.

Docked? Docked is definitely higher than 720. Don't think it's a solid 1080 if even that though. I'd really like to see a patch to get undocked up to a solid 720. Got that damn Vaseline look and I really don't care for it undocked. I just hate blurriness like that.
Yes, docked. Some people here are saying 720p docked.

Rodin

Devs that use TAA need to learn how to apply the right amount of sharpening to counter the blurriness of the filter but without overdoing it. It's cost free.

Switch version looks quite blurry, but that's expected with the lower resolution. That it's sub-native while undocked is a shame.

Um, last I checked A game being demanding doesn't mean just graphics. I'd imagine Noodles phsyics on top of everything else would make for a challenging game to run.

Especially framerate. Switches GPU is significantly weaker than PS4 and X1 but if the game is not 60 FPS on the PS4 than the bottleneck is the CPU. If the Switch version is higher than 720 obvioysly even with added effects PS4 is not sweating hitting 1080p.

we do not know what the switch can offer when pushed, but we do know what the ps4 can do , so we have references for ps4 and we haven't for switch. That gives you an answer why some consider this game not optimized on ps4, it is very probable, isn't it. It is also quite possible that can run better on switch too, e just do not know where the limit is.
THis added that ps4 is running uncapped at 40-50fps, so maybe the could optimize a bit and get it to 60fps, or make it run at 30 (considering slow paced game it is no issue) and increase visual fidelity.

I mean, I completely agree with this and essentially said as much. The point of the post you were responding to though was in regards to people saying this comparison doesn't mean much specifically because it's not pushing the PS4.

Where the reality is, this is pushing the PS4 due to its lack of optimization (or physics calculations, or whatever it is) as seen by the 40-50fps, and it's still a valid point of comparison between the two consoles because there's no reason to expect it can be better optimized for the PS4 but NOT the Switch.

Devs that use TAA need to learn how to apply the right amount of sharpening to counter the blurriness of the filter but without overdoing it. It's cost free.
All AA is blur, there's nothing inherently more blurry about TAA. And sharpening is super cheap, but it's not free.

Rodin

All AA is blur, there's nothing inherently more blurry about TAA. And sharpening is super cheap, but it's not free.
Yes there is. It blurs the image more than other AA methods but it's very effective in reducing jaggies.

And 1fps or less for sharpening is cost free to me.

I hope this low-res vaseline look isn't what we are to expect out of future UE4 games on Switch. :(
It's the TAA used, not UE4.

Skyzard

Banned
Looks pretty similar.

A slight resolution difference but it's just slight. And all those grass shadows must be demanding.

41l5udf.jpg

Hopefully the performance is decent on both. Looks like a nice chill game to play in bed, and it has the music for it.

Been thinking about picking it up on PC and streaming it to a handheld/phone with a controller but there being only
levels I'm kinda reluctant and being cheap. It's not a bad number especially for the price. But it might end before I want it to.

I'll probably grab it quite soon. It is only £16.

Kind of disappointed how many games seem to be targeting 30 fps on Switch. I get it, portable hardware is weaker, but I"d prefer further graphics downgrades to frame-rate decreases.

One thing I really liked about the Wii U was that the majority of its library targeted 60 fps, despite it being the weakest 8th gen console.

Kind of disappointed how many games seem to be targeting 30 fps on Switch. I get it, portable hardware is weaker, but I"d prefer further graphics downgrades to frame-rate decreases.

One thing I really liked about the Wii U was that the majority of its library targeted 60 fps, despite it being the weakest 8th gen console.
Well, this developer in particular chose prettier water over the possibility of 60fps for the Wii U Sonic racing game so it's no surprise here.

Scrawnton

A majority of Wii U titles were first party though. If a game isn't locked 60 on other consoles there's no way there gonna graphically downgrade it to be locked 60 on Switch. A locked 30fps is nothing to scoff at by any means, in my opinion.

Ridley327

Outside of BotW and probably Xenoblade 2, there's nothing to indicate that Nintendo themselves have let go of their usual 60 fps targets. We've got footage of Super Mario Odyssey and it looks superb thanks to 60 fps, and that's not out until the holidays.

Eh, the first party WiiU games targeted 60fps. There were not many third party games but thkse did target 30fps mostly. Mario and Splatoon for example are 60fps. You are not getting games that barely hit 60fps on PS4 and X1 reaching 60fps just by toning down graphics. Doesnt work like that.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I'm interested to see the DF analysis, although moreso for the 1080p/4K comparison on the pro. 4K mode seemed kinda framey when I played it last night, but I was pretty caked and it gets harder to notice.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, this is a weird video...

I have one going up shortly and, well, there are differences between the versions I'm playing and what this site is showing. Grass placement is different on PS4 in my case and there are water effects missing on Switch in my capture that are present in this footage. That doesn't make any sense.

Now I'm confused as to what's happening.

iswasdoes

So if i compare WitcherIII on Ps4 with WitcherIII on PC worth 5T€ (running at 8K/120fps) with scaled down pictures i could say,

"I think the fact the devices are so different and yet produce a comparable output should class it as similar. PC's will always have the performance edge over PS4, but PS4 is a cheap box"

Good luck with that reasoning.

The flaw in the reasoning is the 'devices are so different' bit. PS4 and PC are both really similar in terms of architecture and use case. This is a mobile device vs a dedicated home console. In that respect, the output is similar, because the results are expected to be dramatcially different

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
There's a weird glitch in the Switch that Nintendo has yet to fix. Games developed in 1080p seem to fluctuate between 1080p and 900p due to power being taken away from the GPU. It's happening with FAST: RMX as well (Shinen were the ones to notice it). Not sure when Nintendo will fix it though.

I have a feeling that this "glitch" will still be used as an excuse years from now. Because Nintendo seems to prioritise stability over performance with their firmware updates.

Plus you have no idea if the glitch impacts all games, so far only Shin'en said anything about it.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains

I have one going up shortly and, well, there are differences between the versions I'm playing and what this site is showing. Grass placement is different on PS4 in my case and there are water effects missing on Switch in my capture that are present in this footage. That doesn't make any sense.

That is really strange. So your PS4 footage isn't matching up with the video in the OP?

Marmelade

There's another comparson vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAppjktmF6c&feature=youtu.be
No water present in it but at the very least you see Switch button commands

dark10x

That is really strange. So your footage isn't matching up with the video in the OP?
Not at all. It's very different.

I'm using the final game too and even have direct portable mode capture handy. There's something weird about that comparison.

I also saw some Polygon footage of the PS4 version a few days ago running with an unstable, unlocked frame-rate but the actual final version is a rock solid 30fps on a standard PS4. Odd.

There's another comparson vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAppjktmF6c&feature=youtu.be
No water present in it but at the very least you see Switch button commands
OK, THIS one is consistent with my findings.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Then your comparison video will be more than welcomed.

dark10x

So the OP video is fake news?
Well, let's just say that the BOTH the Switch and PS4 sides of that video differ from what I'm seeing in the final game. The second comparison video just posted is consistent with what I've played, though.

Well, let's just say that the BOTH the Switch and PS4 sides of that video differ from what I'm seeing in the final game. The second comparison video just posted is consistent with what I've played, though.

That's weird. I wonder whats going on. Maybe they were using unfinished builds?

Ridley327

Not at all. It's very different.

I'm using the final game too and even have direct portable mode capture handy. There's something weird about that comparison.

I also saw some Polygon footage of the PS4 version a few days ago running with an unstable, unlocked frame-rate but the actual final version is a rock solid 30fps on a standard PS4. Odd.

OK, THIS one is consistent with my findings.

I wonder if the comparison video is taking its footage from an earlier demonstration of the PS4 version. I don't think they ever showed off that much of the Switch version for it to not be the final version being used, but PS4 is a different story.

Is it bad that I initially thought the right side was Switch and the left side was PS4?

I've got a terrible eye for graphics don't I...

The shadows are the biggest give away, they do both look pretty similar though. PS4 also has better depth of field.

Switch port is extremely impressive.

Banned
Based on the video the only differences I see are the resolution, depth of field and Anisotropic Filtering. The particles and lighting look similar to me. Shadow quality is better on the PS4.

Good port.

Why did they have to make it a venomous coral snake?

Because the body of the snake is made up of several round joints that rotate. So if it had been patterned lengthwise, say with a camo-like pattern, you would see it twist.

That's why they had to color it in a way that wouldn't change when the parts rotate. And the rings of a coral snake is perfect for this.

Sure, they could have changed the order of the colours to match a non-venomous snake. But Noodle ain't no pretender!

Source: The YouTube Dev Diary.

NateDrake

Good to hear (or should I say see) your findings match the footage I captured for that second video. I was beginning to worry after watching the video in the OP.

Effect

My concern is that it looks a bit blurry. Is that mainly because of the picture taking? Does it really look like that on the screen or TV?

No.

I said if Switch is a stable 30 and PS4 fluctuates between 40 and 60, that's a point in Switch's favor.

I then asked for some performance impressions from people who have played the game, since I have not.

Stop putting words in peoples' mouths and stop with the implied "we're Nintendo fanboys trying to justify our purchase" nonsense. Thank you.

Where did you get the idea that the PS4 version fluctuates between 40 and 60? Why would you even say that unless you know?

Kilau

Because the body of the snake is made up of several round joints that rotate. So if it had been patterned lengthwise, say with a camo-like pattern, you would see it twist.

That's why they had to color it in a way that wouldn't change when the parts rotate. And the rings of a coral snake is perfect for this.

Sure, they could have changed the order of the colours to match a non-venomous snake. But Noodle ain't no pretender!

Source: The YouTube Dev Diary.

Hey, do you have a link to that handy?

shiyrley

Banned
I'm holding off until these two things happen:
- Digital Foundry reviews the game
- They confirm whether or not they will add time trials to the Switch version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom