• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass Graphics Comparison (Unreal Engine 4): PS4 vs Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpha_eX

Will look nice and crisp on the tablet. If I wanted to play it on TV I'd get it on PS4, looks great on that.

Really like the art direction this game took, can't wait to play it :)

Comandr

They look pretty close. If I just had to spitball I'd say Switch is 720/30, and PS4 is 1080/60 both using the equivalent of PC's Medium AA, depth of field and shadows.

It's a beautiful game and a great soundtrack by David Wise. Totally charming and completely lovable regardless of what platform it's on.

bennibop

Its indie game I would not expect a massive difference in looks, but one is 720p 30fps and the other is 1080p 60fps that is a big difference.

Strings

The panoramic shots are kinda jittery on Switch. Otherwise, not bad. Doesn't look like it's hitting a full 60 on PS4 though? Somewhat confusing.

Genio88

I can definitely see how PS4 version looks more clear and detailed, while Switch is a bit more blurred(lower resolution i guess) and with slightly downgraded light effects, but if you don't stay there watching side by side they look almost identical, and i'm sure it's gonna look even better than on PS4 when you play in handheld mode on the 6.2 inch Switch display, of course due to the screen size and better dpi than a big TV...Shame i don't really like this game at all, my next Switch game is Mario Kart 8

Okada

It's not as clear cut as people are saying.

PS4 is 1080p - 40-60fps(ish)
Switch is 720p - 30fps locked as far as I've seen. However when the Switch is in portable mode it gets pretty blurry and is definitely running below 720p.

Still pretty impressive but I wish it could have hit native in portable mode.

oti

Banned

Switch is 720p - 30fps locked as far as I've seen. However when the Switch is in portable mode it gets pretty blurry and is definitely running below 720p.

Why didn't they lock it on PS4 as well then? I'd alway prefer 30 locked than 40-60ish. Nothing beats a locked 60 of course.

Wat? the framerate isnt locked?

RobbieNick

Its indie game I would not expect a massive difference in looks, but one is 720p 30fps and the other is 1080p 60fps that is a big difference.

One you can yank off the screen and take on the go and that's what sells it on Switch for me. However, if it didn't look so close, I'd probably get it on PS4 instead.

As long as the graphic comparisons aren't TOO drastic, I'll be getting these kind of third party games on Switch.

Great outlook for future unreal titles. Didnt sumo say that they needed one day to finish up a first demo for sqitch?

In anycase for a portable thats impressive

bennibop

No official measure has come out and has said that it runs 40-60fps on PS4, so not sure why people are claiming it does other than to try and justify their purchase of a Switch..

KageZero

Switch docked is 720p? You sure about that?

oti

Banned
No official measure has come out and has said that it runs 40-60fps on PS4, so not sure why people are claiming it does other than to try and justify their purchase of a Switch..

You're right. Let's wait for DF on this. But please, stop this crap.

gtj1092

To bolster the switch. When the game was shown for switch it was hearolded as the game to show there's not much difference between ps4 and switch.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Switch docked is 720p? You sure about that?
we dont know what, it seems to be below 1080p but we knwo that the switch is also using strong TAA which makes it look blurrier than it actually is, its probably something like 900p

Charamiwa

Banned

NateDrake posted a video from the regular PS4 and it sure didn't look like 60fps.

Also, PS4 Pro boasts "higher framerates". Why would you need it if the regular PS4 was 60fps locked?

ffvorax

It looks sharper and a little more fluid to me on PS4, but I also think they both look great! Also I believe I would prefer to play it on a portable probably, so nice that the Switch version is good.

Hmm? I'm sure I read somewhere it was going to run at 1080p docked on the Switch. Can anyone actually confirm what res it runs at instead of just talking about what it looks like to them?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Impressive considering how fast they ported it to Switch.
To bolster the switch. When the game was shown for switch it was hearolded as the game to show there's not much difference between ps4 and switch.

lol...stahp - no one on Gaf believes that the power difference between Switch and PS4 is small...come on.

Spaghetti

Switch holds its own pretty well, IMO. Guess all the talk about Nintendo and Epic working hard on UE4 compatibility wasn't just hot air.

Dunno how it'll handle more complex UE4 games, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of UE4 indies come to Switch and put up a decent showing for a handheld.

orioto

Good Art™

Yeah... i see a pattern...

nubbe

What's to be expected when you compare a ~10W SoC to a ~30W SoC

Switch is a brilliant portable machine.

Majine

Banned
It's worth mentioning for future comparisons: The Switch is not a homeconsole. It's a tiny tablet that can mimmick a home console in some regards.

oti

Banned
It's worth mentioning for future comparisons: The Switch is not a homeconsole. It's a tiny tablet that can mimmick a home console in some regards.

Things like basic physics are not important on GAF. The Switch tablet can't produce graphics like the PS4 Pro monster. Henceforth it is trash.

bennibop

People have eyes and are playing the PS4 version. Stop that.

People can measure framerates with their eyes, that is amazing.

Just so people are aware I own a Switch, I have seen a few post on here regards 30fps Switch is better because its stable when no official measure has been done.

Okada

People can measure framerates with their eyes, that is amazing.

Just so people are aware I own a Switch, I have seen a few post on here regards 30fps Switch is better because its stable when no official measure has been done.

If people can't work out roughly what a framerate feels like with their own eyes then what's the point in worrying about framerate at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom