• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

LOUD915

I had assumed it was my tv but i couldn't test with another one, so i'm just living with it. 70% of the time it starts up fine

Mine starts up fine 100% of the time while clean and 0% of the time while hacked. If I unplug and plug the hdmi wire in, it works hacked 100% of the time.

If you read my posts I’ve been trying for days to fix the lack of audio and simply unplug/plug works.

Santar

I finally took the step and hacked my SNES Classic.
Pretty happy with the results so far all things considered.
Sure some games I'd have liked to see aren't supported like Terranigma and Illusion of Time and the sound can be a bit tinny on some games, but the emulator is really great when it comes to responsiveness.
Donkey Kong Country 2 haven't felt this responsive on any emulator I've tried.
So Nintendo did a spot on job on that front if nothing else.

How does one go about adding to the compatibility Sheet?
Daffy Duck The Marvin Missions has a screen flickering bug when you jump and Street Racers and Pit Fighter have small graphical glitches on the char select screen but seem to work fine in game. Would be nice if those could be added to the list.

SOLDIER

Word of advice: when connecting your Mini to your PC, use the included USB cable. I kept having issues with my PC detecting it until I finally just used the official cable.

Anyone manage to get Famicom Detective Club part II working? Tried it with the fan translation but it wouldn’t boot up.

That game also needs a custom box art.

muteki

I updated from the initial release to the latest beta last night and added a few more games. After searching around to figure out how to upgrade the process was pretty smooth. It made me flash custom kernal again and I got some wierd MD5 hash error when I did so, but everything is working fine.

A few more of my favorite super fami robot games and everything plays great with the default emulator:

199314-303871.jpg
303872front-104741.jpg
250px-Macross_Scrambled_Valkyrie_cover.png
513cQt3b0bL._SY445_.jpg

pitt_norton

I'm enjoying touching up or redesigning what are, in my opinion, atrocious USA SNES boxarts... Here is my latest effort...

Jurassic Park, the original:

9SrTcJ5.png

My retroactive fix, use if so desired ;)

UkjgIVW.png

XaosWolf

Wtf is up with the original Jurassic Park cover.

Who the hell thought that was okay?!

Everything Jurassic Park was black background plus the logo. It looks like the VHS box.

True but it didn't have a blue contrasted raptor to the right haha

Why did it need a barely visible raptor on the side when there's already a dinosaur right there in the easily recognised (and now way off centre) logo.

LOUD915

I never knew you could use the mouse for that game.

I beat it after so many hours of trying.

Fuck that shit with no save feature.

angelic

Banned
Wtf is up with the original Jurassic Park cover.

Who the hell thought that was okay?!

Uk company Ocean were absolutely terrible at all forms of presentation, art, boxes and so on. They were a pile it high sell shit in a licensed box publisher, almost everything they did was trash licensed clipart images smushed together:

nightbreed_action_st_format_17.jpg

angelic

Banned
Well I think I'm about done with it, all my troubles seem to have been smoothed over. SFA2 is at last working happily, blur filter is turned off, got about 50 games on it all running great, loving the down+select reset combination.

It's safe to say the hack elevates a nice little box into something else entirely, a real, scanlined, 2 wired pad 98% full functioning SNES under my TV. Here's to the next few weeks and maybe getting hi res mode going for Seiken 3.

SOLDIER

I can confirm that hacked-in games do not get the warning message when opening save states that will overwrite internal saves.

Do you suppose Hackchi will eventually get updated to include those warnings? It’s a pain to double check every time.

I can confirm that hacked-in games do not get the warning message when opening save states that will overwrite internal saves.

Do you suppose Hackchi will eventually get updated to include those warnings? It’s a pain to double check every time.

I got some good advice last week on this. Just use save states all the time. Nothing else. Most reliable.

I'd like to see a warning pop up when I have a save state open and I go into the menu and accidentally click on the box art of the game, which takes me to the title screen and wipes out my floating save. I've done that a few times and lost some progress

Robin64

Is that something I have to tick in the settings? I think that might be missing on my added games.

Old versions of hakchi missed it off, but new ones should fix it. But you might have to remove and re-add the game to get it to work.

I'd like to see a warning pop up when I have a save state open and I go into the menu and accidentally click on the box art of the game, which takes me to the title screen and wipes out my floating save. I've done that a few times and lost some progress

So many times, this...

PMS341

I updated from the initial release to the latest beta last night and added a few more games. After searching around to figure out how to upgrade the process was pretty smooth. It made me flash custom kernal again and I got some wierd MD5 hash error when I did so, but everything is working fine.

A few more of my favorite super fami robot games and everything plays great with the default emulator:

Endless Duel holds up so well. My buddy and I keep going back to it.

angelic

Banned
Can anyone who has implemented the SF Alpha 2 mod tell me whether it still has the three-second pause in each round after the announcer says "Fight!"?

It's not 3 seconds but yes it's there.

What I'd like now is a global command line to increase the blackness of the scanlines, is this possible at all?

darkvir

Word of advice: when connecting your Mini to your PC, use the included USB cable. I kept having issues with my PC detecting it until I finally just used the official cable.

Anyone manage to get Famicom Detective Club part II working? Tried it with the fan translation but it wouldn’t boot up.

That game also needs a custom box art.

Famicom Detective Club part II works fine with the built in emulator. It’s using the English patch.

Yeah, it does. God bless the SNES version of SFA2.

It's not 3 seconds but yes it's there.

What I'd like now is a global command line to increase the blackness of the scanlines, is this possible at all?
A shame that isn't corrected since it's only that way, AFAIK, to give the chip time to decompress the sprite graphics, a chip we are bypassing with decompressed graphics.

I mean, it's not like the game would be perfect with that one change but it would be nice!

Edit: That said, I am grateful they got it working, imperfect as it may be. :)

soundtest

Banned
Good to see both NA SSFII and SFA2 working on the mini. The latter is more of a curiosity but the former is a must have for my little machine

BTW, anyone have the guide for installing SFA2? I didn't see it in the OP and I'd like to bookmark it for when I have free time.

Oswen

Is Secret of Evermore still missing audio with the latest versions?
I really want to play it again on the snes mini, is retroarch the only way to go to avoid issues?

angelic

Banned
A shame that isn't corrected since it's only that way, AFAIK, to give the chip time to decompress the sprite graphics, a chip we are bypassing with decompressed graphics.

I mean, it's not like the game would be perfect with that one change but it would be nice!

Edit: That said, I am grateful they got it working, imperfect as it may be. :)

There's probably some sort of timing built into the game in waiting for it, unfixable I imagine. What's also bad is how the audio cuts out as soon as the round winning attack lands, voice samples etc all stop. It's an impressive version of it spoiled by really small presentation issues.

my top recommendations: Actraiser, Aladdin, Alcahest, Arcana, Axelay, Final Fantasy IV & V, Hagane, Lufia 2, Mickey's Magical Quest, On the Ball, R-Type III, Soul Blazer, Sutte Hakkun, UN Squadron, Wild Guns

and about a dozen more japan-only jrpg and srpg translations if you're into that (fire emblems, front missions, shiren the wanderer, brandish 2, treasure of the rudras)
Thank you, just saw this!!

Top Bottom