• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

There's probably some sort of timing built into the game in waiting for it, unfixable I imagine. What's also bad is how the audio cuts out as soon as the round winning attack lands, voice samples etc all stop. It's an impressive version of it spoiled by really small presentation issues.
Turns out it might be audio data bring transferred to the sound chip, though with that chintzy MIDI BGM and wimpy SFX I'm not sure it's worth the wait. At least we get character voices.
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=17528.0

hutna

I will be the happiest man in the world when Illusion of Gaia and Star Ocean work through the built in emulator

I know the feeling. Been wanting to share the Quintet trilogy with my wife ever since the hacking started; she would love the games. I just have a bad feeling that with retroarch the games won't be fixed to run on the native emulator:(

Whelp I upgraded to 2.21 and the process was simple and smooth... too bad the new feature that means we don't have to move the original games also breaks the custom thumbnails I had for them... Is there any way to install custom thumbnails for the original games now? I suspect if they're being read from a read-only memory space the answer is no... Oh well, guess I'll go to invisible thumbnails for now...

SOLDIER

Old versions of hakchi missed it off, but new ones should fix it. But you might have to remove and re-add the game to get it to work.

The Classic stores save states of games you’ve deleted, right?

But what about the internal save? Is there no way to keep that?

Robin64

Whelp I upgraded to 2.21 and the process was simple and smooth... too bad the new feature that means we don't have to move the original games also breaks the custom thumbnails I had for them... Is there any way to install custom thumbnails for the original games now? I suspect if they're being read from a read-only memory space the answer is no... Oh well, guess I'll go to invisible thumbnails for now...

Just because you don't have to doesn't mean you can't. I still have my original 21 set to hidden and then all uploaded as custom games instead, meaning I can do box art and thumbnails.

Kintaco

As far as I know all hakchi did was make copies of your 21 games from my understanding. You can still do that manually by dumping the games to your computer and re-adding them. Might then have to hide the originals. Don't remember the exact folders as I'm not by my SNES Classic. I think earlier in this thread there were instructions. But it's doable.

PMS341

About to start working on some custom frames! Did anyone make that Chrono Trigger one someone asked for in here earlier? I'll have to find the post.

Also, real quick - do I need to replace a folder when adding a custom border, or could I just follow the folder structure and add my own? So the first custom folder would be "12_name" or whatever.

soundtest

Banned
What setting do I need to have all my games on one screen and no folders? And is there any issue with having too many games on one screen?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Where are the screenshots stored with the portable version of Hakchi? I've got some nice things I wanted to share with you guys...

Are there any good non fantasy RPGs other than Shadowrun and Earthbound?

I feel like playing an RPG but I'd love a more modern setting.

I remember having a good time with Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon: Another Story back in the day!

I'm enjoying touching up or redesigning what are, in my opinion, atrocious USA SNES boxarts... Here is my latest effort...

Jurassic Park, the original:

9SrTcJ5.png

My retroactive fix, use if so desired ;)

UkjgIVW.png

I felt the same way about that mess a couple days ago and decided to combine the US version with the EU version:
sCMrJ4K.jpg

I couldnt live without the creeper raptor.

Sadly, this has caused what I feared most... I've started hacking and tweaking things I have no business doing.

First off, got the Woolsey's Uncensored patch working for FF3, seems it was a header problem. On that note, I got Chrono Trigger+ to boot, but it seems I can't get out of the bedroom. I also tried a Chrono Trigger retranslation, but it freezes on "chrono" when waking up. Not sure if they are touching anything relatively vital, or if it's the fact these games are outside the normal hi-rom range (48mbit, but most games tapped out at 32mbit) and the emulator doesn't support it.

I also have a hunch or two on what's causing Illusion of Gaia/Time to not work... going to prod it a few times and see if I get anywhere. Honestly though, it means delving into the SNES arch and ASM on a system I'm not too familiar with, so it'll take a few days before I know if it's something I can do. That said, I'm fairly hopeful as I have a few leads based on looking at some emulator changelogs and seeing what tweaks they had to make to get the game running.

There is no special hardware in IoG, so Canoe should work with it in theory after we figure out what's causing the initial hang (I do note a lack of Sound in the opening, which is also hopefully a useful clue).

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Welp just screwed myself over. Logged in 5 hours playing Chrono Trigger, got Robo, learned magic, and made it to Heckran Cave and legit saved the game. Did dpad down + select to get back to the SNES screen afterwards, went to do a suspend state. Dunno what I did cause I was moving pretty fast, but now my save is gone for Heckran Cave and it instead has a save from wayyyy earlier in the game when I first made it to 600 A.D looking for Marle.

Yeaah probably not gone play it for a while.

[QUOTE="D";251684315]Welp just screwed myself over. Logged in 5 hours playing Chrono Trigger, got Robo, learned magic, and made it to Heckran Cave and legit saved the game. Did dpad down + select to get back to the SNES screen afterwards, went to do a suspend state. Dunno what I did cause I was moving pretty fast, but now my save is gone for Heckran Cave and it instead has a save from wayyyy earlier in the game when I first made it to 600 A.D looking for Marle.

Yeaah probably not gone play it for a while.[/QUOTE]

I really wish Nintendo threw up a warning that you had to click "ok" on if you were about to restart a game, losing a save state.

It's just too easy to do.

inner-G

Banned
[QUOTE="D";251684315]Welp just screwed myself over. Logged in 5 hours playing Chrono Trigger, got Robo, learned magic, and made it to Heckran Cave and legit saved the game. Did dpad down + select to get back to the SNES screen afterwards, went to do a suspend state. Dunno what I did cause I was moving pretty fast, but now my save is gone for Heckran Cave and it instead has a save from wayyyy earlier in the game when I first made it to 600 A.D looking for Marle.

This is only an issue if you use save states, right?

I did the same thing in Earthbound. Made it through Threed, Saturn Valley, and Belch's Base before accidentally hitting A instead of Down + Y and forcing myself to go back to a save all the way in Twoson.

ReyVGM

I really wish Nintendo threw up a warning that you had to click "ok" on if you were about to restart a game, losing a save state.

It's just too easy to do.

You know, things like this is going to cause Nintendo to go back to the Wii-era of having you confirm stuff two and three times.

If a game has ingame saves (like Super Metroid), then just use the ingame saves.
If a game has none (like Contra 3), then just use Suspend Saves.

Or, just use Suspend Saves exclusively. It's not rocket science, people. I wonder how people's ingame saves have managed to survive up until now when every single PC emulator has worked the same way for decades now.

And if it's the mistake of accidentally clicking on the game instead of making the Suspend State, then yep, that happened to me. Once. After that, I was more careful.

Wow I think after 20-something years I only just right now, looking at the Jurassic Park box arts, realized what I always thought was some kind of bowling ball in the bottom right corner of SNES boxes are the four buttons. Holy shit how and why did I ever think it was anything different? A bowling ball? What the fuck.

Indeed. You can also use a single save state (which you want to do anyway because of how much space they take), and overwriting it after saving "normally" (a great way to mentally enforce this is to never load the save from the backup battery, always from the state).

In general you're best server only using one method. If you use save states there's no reason you would also rely on the battery backup, except for being stuck in "unwinnable" states (which is in turn easily remedied by setting the rewind period to 3600 like in the included RPGs; this gives you well over five minutes worth of rewinding).

Not criticising people who have been hit by this, I know it's an easy hangup. Just giving pointers for people to avoid this issue.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo

I used an actual save point in the game then I backdoored and tried to do a suspend state...that's why this is so baffling to me

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

So I've already hacked and uploaded plenty of games to this thing no issue. Then this morning I updated hakchi2 to the 2.21b version using the web installer, flashed the new kernel, and attempted to add a few more games (some interesting japan only english translated games by gaf's recommendations + goof troop which I heard is supposed to now be working?). But now every new game I upload launches with a c7 error. All the old stuff still works, but I can't put anything new on there, including stuff that was verified to work on the old version (Marvelous with the DackR patch in particular). On top of that Hakchi2 is now showing only 193.3MB of total storage? I think it was close to 250something before?

Question about secret of evermore.

Is there a way to make it two player?

Yup

SOLDIER

Indeed. You can also use a single save state (which you want to do anyway because of how much space they take), and overwriting it after saving "normally" (a great way to mentally enforce this is to never load the save from the backup battery, always from the state).

In general you're best server only using one method. If you use save states there's no reason you would also rely on the battery backup, except for being stuck in "unwinnable" states (which is in turn easily remedied by setting the rewind period to 3600 like in the included RPGs; this gives you well over five minutes worth of rewinding).

Not criticising people who have been hit by this, I know it's an easy hangup. Just giving pointers for people to avoid this issue.

But the save state itself can’t be affected, only your local save, right?

So one idea is to make sure you’re saving both within the game and the save state at the same time, that way if you lost any progress it wouldn’t be too far from your state.

Psxphile

Question about secret of evermore.

Is there a way to make it two player?
There's a patch that enables 2-player, yeah. Weird that the devs didn't have it in by default.

Working in canoe. Far less time than I would have thought, BUT it is exhibiting some graphic issues I'm going to try and ponder out first before I release a patch.

Then I'll try my luck with Terranigma.

godspeed, I haven't sat down and played Gaia in years.

inner-G

Banned

Thanks.

It is confusing, but I only really care about being able to play/save them as you would on regular games - I just wanted to make sure that wouldn't screw me somehow

So a few things with it...

1: There is a menu transparency issue on some dialogues. I'm not sure if this is an issue with what I've tweaked... but I don't think it is. This means when you first start the game, where you select "start new" or "continue" the option you're selecting is completely blacked out.

2: There is some slow down in the mode-7... but I'm not sure that wasn't the same as real hardware, I don't have my OG SNES handy (it's sitting in a body half a country over) but since the mode-7 is used exclusively for switching areas and a few minor cutscenes it shouldn't be anything killer. (edit) On this note, there is no slowdown on the audio, so it's not an emulator issue. It's either an original 'feature' or a side effect.

3: I've only played a little bit (to the castle) so I can't guarantee there won't be other problems that come from this. I don't have the time to play through the whole game right now. I expect there might be more alpha issues, but none of the in-game menus seem to be effected. I'll see if the same fix works on Terranigma real quick.

Top Bottom