• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

Robin64

Okay, to do the UI stuff..

Copy the packed.png file to /var/lib/hakchi/rootfs/usr/share/ui/snes-eur/resources/sprites/

Download this file and put it in /etc/preinit.d

Reboot the SNES Mini.

PMS341

You'll need to use overmount to do anything with a new file. Hold please.

Oh, no worries! Figured there was an extra step.

EDIT:

Okay, to do the UI stuff..

Copy the packed.png file to /var/lib/hakchi/rootfs/usr/share/ui/snes-eur/resources/sprites/

Download this file and put it in /etc/preinit.d

Reboot the SNES Mini.

You wonderful human being. Thank you for putting this together.

For some reason, it doesn't seem to be picking up my modified version of the file, however. Of course, my folder structure has snes-usa instead of snes-eur, but I adjusted that accordingly. I only changed the hue of a few elements, and some text here and there, but it didn't seem to pick up new file, sadly.

Zee-Row

Banned
I keep getting this when I sync my games , its wrong because I did Flash custom kernel

Z1OT4Rx.jpg

Ok even after returning my SNES Classic to its original state and reflashing the custom kernel I can't get this message to go away. When I add games to the classic it breaks all the games that come with it. Plus I get the error message shutting it off.

colorlust

Hey, Koji and Robin! Thanks for the patch! I can confirm that IoG is working perfectly fine on my end! (Well, there's a graphical glitch in the form of a black bar in the initial menus, but it seems to go away in-game).

Edit: By the way! I was inspired by the work of PMS341 and made my own Switch-like icons for the games I was missing. Take a look!

3PknByI.png
tM3wits.png

XHp2wg1.png
GMI5ewF.png

There are a few more in this gallery. Feel free to use them if you want :) I'll probably be doing some more, but so far my collection is covered ;)

Oh man I love the pure 90's-ness of that Mystic Quest box! These look great!

Robin64

For some reason, it doesn't seem to be picking up my modified version of the file, however. Of course, my folder structure has snes-usa instead of snes-eur, but I adjusted that accordingly. I only changed the hue of a few elements, and some text here and there, but it didn't seem to pick up new file, sadly.

Ah yes, change it to snes-usa, but please do it in Notepad++ not Notepad or Wordpad.

Don't know why it wouldn't pick it up though, just did a quick test, filled the title border red, rebooted, it's red..

PMS341

Ah yes, change it to snes-usa, but please do it in Notepad++ not Notepad or Wordpad.

Don't know why it wouldn't pick it up though, just did a quick test, filled the title border red, rebooted, it's red..

Luckily, I have Notepad++ already installed for some databending work I do. :p

I probably goofed up somewhere. Will edit and retest.

EDIT: Confirmed to work! I'll post some screens in a few. Wish there was a way to update the scrolling background elements!

SOLDIER

Asking again: is there a way to remove a game but retain its internal save?

I want to be able to swap games out but keep their saves. Or are save states the only way to achieve this?

Robin64

Asking again: is there a way to remove a game but retain its internal save?

I want to be able to swap games out but keep their saves. Or are save states the only way to achieve this?

The battery save won't be deleted, it's in the same folder as save states. They just have different file extensions, but neither will be removed when a game is removed.

Rirse

Neo Member
Why can't I add another copy of Star Fox to use the FX boost? I hid the stock one and put -boost-fx 2 at the end of the command line, but get a C7 error.

SOLDIER

The battery save won't be deleted, it's in the same folder as save states. They just have different file extensions, but neither will be removed when a game is removed.

Excellent.

Also, someone please take all the custom boxes and borders and compile them to one post so Robin can share it in the OP.

Not me, I’m too busy. Yeah, busy...

PMS341

Alright, loving the UI changes that can be made. Already feels so much cleaner!

Definitely going to be creating variants of each icon I made without the 2px black border, as I think they'll mesh with the cleaner look a bit better that way, in case anyone else has removed their box art borders as well.

bubumiao

Can I add the SNES custom filter module to hakchi v2.20.15 just by putting the folder into user mods folder and then installing on hakchi?

Or do I need to be using v2.21b?

BuddyC

Ok even after returning my SNES Classic to its original state and reflashing the custom kernel I can't get this message to go away. When I add games to the classic it breaks all the games that come with it. Plus I get the error message shutting it off.

Did you properly install the updated haxchi? That is overwriting all the old files? If you only replaced the .exe, it'll still have the old kernel files.

Alright, loving the UI changes that can be made. Already feels so much cleaner!

Definitely going to be creating variants of each icon I made without the 2px black border, as I think they'll mesh with the cleaner look a bit better that way, in case anyone else has removed their box art borders as well.

How do you get rid of the bottom icon row?

ReyVGM

Robotrek was great.

I'm still looking for another 7th saga fan!

Even though I only played it once back then, I really like 7th Saga (specially the great soundtrack). I remember when I was dropped in the second world, I had no idea wtf was happening and the first enemies I fight are these murderous manta rays. It spooked me a bit.

I also liked Brain Lord, which looks like 7th Saga, but it's an adventure game.

Miker

I saw that the new version of Hakchi fixes the UI lag when removing thumbnails - can someone confirm that's true? I tried it on 2.20 and it took a few seconds just to return to the home menu after hitting reset, which made it unusable for me.

But the save state itself can’t be affected, only your local save, right?

So one idea is to make sure you’re saving both within the game and the save state at the same time, that way if you lost any progress it wouldn’t be too far from your state.

That's exactly what I said in the first paragraph of my post. :)

ReyVGM

Oh hey I just remembered

Last night I was playing some NES Classic with my dad, Mario Bros 3 and Chip & Dale. I don't remember if it happened in C&D but in SMB3 there's like a bar on the left side of the screen, not the TV screen but the area the game actually displays in, that's just a solid color. When on the Map it's black and blends in with the black borders so it's not noticeable but when I'm in a level there's just this weird bar about an inch thick (on my dad's TV anyway) that sits between the black border and the actual game.

I don't know if I'm explaining this properly but is that normal? I sure don't remember it happening when playing on my old NES and CRT but maybe it was just cut off, or maybe it has something to do with the retro filters? It's the version of SMB3 that came on the NES Classic and aside from adding a handful of games I haven't done anything else to it like fiddle with custom borders or anything. I used Hakchi2 version 2.17d if that matters at all.

If this description of the problem is shitty and confusing I'll whip up a picture to help.

Completely normal. You didn't notice it too much on CRT TVs because they were usually a bit hidden by the overscan, but they are there.

I didn't see either Disney's Aladdin or Pinochio listed in the spreadsheet but can confirm both the US versions have no issues and the games are completely playable.

Megasoum

Banned
Those Switch Style icons look cool.

Are there any good screenshots in here of the actual UI using those and with the bottom row disabled? I'm curious to see what it looks like in action.

Keyouta

Sorry, I haven't been reading much of the thread. Will the methods here work for the Super Famicom? I noticed that PAL ROMs will exhibit problems on the NTSC SNES.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Those Switch Style icons look cool.

Are there any good screenshots in here of the actual UI using those and with the bottom row disabled? I'm curious to see what it looks like in action.

If somebody told me where screenshots are stored with the portable version of Hakchi, I'll gladly post some screens of my setup :)

Robin64

If somebody told me where screenshots are stored with the portable version of Hakchi, I'll gladly post some screens of my setup :)

They're not, you have to hit "Take screenshot" in hakchi while the SNES Mini is connected and running, and it'll open that image in a program which then you need to save somewhere.

But yes, as above, associate with something other than a photo viewer. Those give errors, especially Windows own ones.

Sorry, I haven't been reading much of the thread. Will the methods here work for the Super Famicom? I noticed that PAL ROMs will exhibit problems on the NTSC SNES.

Yeah it works with the Super Famicom. And PAL ROMs can have problems (audio stutter), but there are some conversion patches in the OP if you need them.

Joey Ravn

Banned
If you associate opening .PNG files with an art package like Paint instead of a photo viewer, it dumps them as a new image

They're not, you have to hit "Take screenshot" in hakchi while the SNES Mini is connected and running, and it'll open that image in a program which then you need to save somewhere.

But yes, as above, associate with something other than a photo viewer. Those give errors, especially Windows own ones.

I had to double check, since I have the regular Windows Photo Viewer for PNGs (not the Windows 10 one) and I was sure that it was saving the screenshots automatically. I took another one... and, yeah, it is saving them automatically! They are dumped into appdata/local/temp, of all places.

Anyway, have a look at my setup!

More here.

Kyzer

Banned
Because there are eleventy bajillion of the things scattered throughout the thread, with fifty versions of one game box in some cases. If people make a single post with their collection, I will happily link that in the same way the borders links work.

Boxart creators please PM @ OP so that they can simply add your resources to the post

Linkhero1

I had to double check, since I have the regular Windows Photo Viewer for PNGs (not the Windows 10 one) and I was sure that it was saving the screenshots automatically. I took another one... and, yeah, it is saving them automatically! They are dumped into appdata/local/temp, of all places.

Anyway, have a look at my setup!

More here.
Damn that's sexy.

Darktalon

What improvement does 8:7 offer over the default display 4:3 modes. Is that command for hakchi2 or retroarch?

8:7 is the native aspect ratio of the SNES, so things will look sharper, and most games will have the correct aspect ratio. So squares and circles will be perfect squares and circles.

LOUD915

Can you put more than 1 think on the global common line?

For example, turning the smoothing filter off, but enabling pixel perfect in CRT mode?

inner-G

Banned
8:7 is the native resolution of the SNES, so things will look sharper, and most games will have the correct aspect ratio. So squares and circles will be perfect squares and circles.

It's hit or miss. Things like the morph ball in metroid are round, but most games were designed to be displayed at 4:3 and playing in perfect pixel mode makes them look 'smooshed' side to side

Mitama

Is it just me or does the SNES Mini start noticeably slower after installing Hakchi? It definitely feels like it. I'm on version 2.21b.

Top Bottom