• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

inner-G

Banned
Is it just me or does the SNES Mini start noticeably slower after installing Hakchi? It definitely feels like it. I'm on version 2.21b.

It does for me, and on one of two systems, it doesn't recognize the controller the first time it's powered on after syncing games. The other one I'm setting up doesn't do it.

Can this run N64 games? I know they would take up a lot of space, buying play OOT would be insane.

Im sure the hardware CAN, but if you just put a n64 rom on there it would not work. You need the emulator. And im not sure anyone has successfully hacked a new emulator in the console.

inner-G

Banned
When will these be restocked in the US? I can't find shit...

reggie_fils-aimel2poh.png

word on the street is Gamestops are getting a few restocks between now and the weekend in-store that will be available on first-come, first-serve basis once they are received and put on sale

It is done.

I finished making sprite thumbnails for my entire collection. The result, if I do say so myself, is nothing short of glorious.

pev16I2.png

tRYLJvp.png

bjRPQuP.png

There's three more folders of games, you can see them here if you're so inclined.

More importantly, you, too, can bask in the gloriousness that are sprite thumbnails. I've uploaded them all, plus several alternates for many of the games, to an imgur gallery here. I've also uploaded them to Google Drive so that they don't lose their names and so that you can download them all as a zip file (just select all of them, right click and select Download), here. Enjoy, people!

If you are using these, and there's any other game not in there that you'd like to have as a sprite, ask me (PM or quote this) and I may create them for you. :)

Edit: Here's also my custom folder images, in case anyone wants them:
https://imgur.com/a/UIguo

bubumiao

Can you put more than 1 think on the global common line?

For example, turning the smoothing filter off, but enabling pixel perfect in CRT mode?

What do I type in the global command line and do I have to upgrade to V2.21b or is it okay to be in v2.20.15 and just install the modules n

Is it " --no-smooth" or "--no-smooth" ??

One has a space and one doesn't.

SOLDIER

I tried installing Retroarch and adding Terranigma (with NTSC patch), but it wouldn't work.

It says to put --retroarch in the command line, right? Does that include anywhere in the command line?

Retroarch booted up when added as its own thing, but I don't know how to launch games from it. Also, does having it installed slow down the SNES' menu? I had to wait an extra few seconds when I would hit Select+Start.

Think I prefer leaving it out if that's the case.

bubumiao

I tried installing Retroarch and adding Terranigma (with NTSC patch), but it wouldn't work.

It says to put --retroarch in the command line, right? Does that include anywhere in the command line?

Retroarch booted up when added as its own thing, but I don't know how to launch games from it. Also, does having it installed slow down the SNES' menu? I had to wait an extra few seconds when I would hit Select+Start.

Put it at the very end of the command line and put a space before the two dashes.

C-Drive

More importantly, you, too, can bask in the gloriousness that are sprite thumbnails. I've uploaded them all, plus several alternates for many of the games, to an imgur gallery here, and for much easier downloading, as a rar here. Enjoy, people!

PROTIP: add /zip to any imgur album url and you can download the .zip file of the album.

Use that tip to download these other albums compiled by Joey Ravn very early in the topic:

A few Imgur galleries with official and custom covers I've been finding these past few days. Sorry I can't give you proper credits, but at least I can use the three Imgur usernames to identify the known authors!

Mirk21

Bokujin

AjVen0m

"Anonymous"

"Another Anonymous"

LOUD915

What do I type in the global command line and do I have to upgrade to V2.21b or is it okay to be in v2.20.15 and just install the modules n

Is it " --no-smooth" or "--no-smooth" ??

One has a space and one doesn't.

no space

If you put in a bad command, your games will just C7.

Just delete the line if its wrong and you'll be fine.

LOUD915

If you have the latest Hakchi, retroarch will only work on games that need it.

It'll ask you for games like Gaia and Terranigma

Jezbollah

Quick question - I have the UK SNES Classic Mini. Does this have the PAL or NTSC ROMs in its default configuration? Just wondering which broadcast system to go for if I decide to hack and add.. Cheers.

SOLDIER

I'm having an issue I can't figure out: I was playing Rockman and Forte with the English patch to make it Megaman and Bass. I decided to remove the game and re-add it, since Robin was correct in that games added to the older Hackchi build wouldn't give the save overwriting warning that the latest version does.

But now when I try to add it, Hackchi says it can't detect ROM type, seems ROM is corrupted.

I got it working the first time, I don't know why I can't now. For the patch to work the ROM needs to be headered, so I've been using NSRT Frontend to add it. Do I need to pick the "add headers to selected" option, or the "add NSRT headers to selected" option? And do headers needed to be added before applying the English patch?

Rirse

Neo Member
I know it wasn't designed for the rom, but I tried the patch for Illusion of Gaia to get it working on the SNES Classic on Actraiser 2 and Robotrek. Robotrek just had a black screen, but Actraiser 2 got pass the intro and was playing the music, but had a grabbled image while stuck on the title screen. I imagine what was done to IoG can get that working for sure.

Zee-Row

Banned
Did you properly install the updated haxchi? That is overwriting all the old files? If you only replaced the .exe, it'll still have the old kernel files.

I put the new exe and dropped and dragged all the old folders into the new version so I don’t have to worry about losing box arts and settings.

LordRaptor

Quick question - I have the UK SNES Classic Mini. Does this have the PAL or NTSC ROMs in its default configuration? Just wondering which broadcast system to go for if I decide to hack and add.. Cheers.

the UK SNES mini just has the US Snes mini ROMs, to the extent that the instructions screen for kirby has all the wrong colours on the onscreen controller

Megasoum

Banned
I put the new exe and dropped and dragged all the old folders into the new version so I don’t have to worry about losing box arts and settings.

I would suggest that you unzip the latest version in a completely separate folder and then just copy the game, config and dump folders over from the old version.

This is a much easier and cleaner way to do it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Made a few more boxes (added to the same album: https://imgur.com/a/3nEtu) Will probably work through some of my personal childhood favourites for now (I think I'll be leaving Zoop off my system)

hHOieBU.png
zHeGzoq.png
deu55OJ.png
AQ3x5NZ.png

Donkey Kong Country 3 seems to be a strange case where I can only find the NOE design for it. Unfortunately, my copy is ex-display (Nintendo UK used to sell them like this near the end of the SNES's life so my mother got me some games for cheap like this) so I only have the game and manual, so no box of my own to reference.

Can anyone who owns a UK copy of DKC3 tell me if their box looks like this too, or if it uses one of the other templates?

(Yes, I did take the artistic liberty of giving the DKC2 box a flat blue colour, rather than the textured look the real thing has. Thought it wouldn't look that great when shrunk)

CLEEK

The only difference between the US and the EU/AU/NZ console is cosmetic. There isn't a PAL console, as PAL died with SD broadcasts. HD is the same format the world over. All HDTVs in EU have to support 60Hz. So the SNES Classic only uses NTSC 60Hz ROMs.

bubumiao

I would suggest that you unzip the latest version in a completely separate folder and then just copy the game, config and dump folders over from the old version.

This is a much easier and cleaner way to do it.
Should I uninstall hakchi v2.20.15 before flashing the custom kernel (v2.21b)? Or is it okay to just go kernel -> flash custom kernel -> install core modules -> synchronize games ?

timnich

I know this has been asked before, but is it possible to add NES or even GBA games to the SNES mini? Can someone point me to a good guide? I'm using the OP to add more SNES games but would love to be able to NES games since I wasn't able to get a NES mini.

Can I extract the FF3 ROM via Hackchi + FTP and then use it to apply the Ted Woolsley Uncensored patch to it & re-add it as a new game?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Made a few more boxes (added to the same album: https://imgur.com/a/3nEtu) Will probably work through some of my personal childhood favourites for now (I think I'll be leaving Zoop off my system)

hHOieBU.png
zHeGzoq.png
deu55OJ.png
AQ3x5NZ.png

Donkey Kong Country 3 seems to be a strange case where I can only find the NOE design for it. Unfortunately, my copy is ex-display (Nintendo UK used to sell them like this near the end of the SNES's life so my mother got me some games for cheap like this) so I only have the game and manual, so no box of my own to reference.

Can anyone who owns a UK copy of DKC3 tell me if their box looks like this too, or if it uses one of the other templates?

(Yes, I did take the artistic liberty of giving the DKC2 box a flat blue colour, rather than the textured look the real thing has. Thought it wouldn't look that great when shrunk)

I think by DKC3 all of Europe had said ‘f this’ to Super NES business and ran with the US style NOE cover. Even SCN, the most consistently NCL styled region after AUS, went with the NOE box:

dkc3.jpg

Australia is the only NCL style cover I have been able to find:

collec_snes_dkc3_aus.jpg

LOUD915

Here's a comparison of the scanline options. I don't know if anyone's shown the difference. I think the No smooth is a bit harsh like the 4:3, I think darker scanlines might help. Can you still add less blur?

Normal CRT

No Smooth CRT

4:3

Aren’t there other options like magfilter / filter?

PROTIP: add /zip to any imgur album url and you can download the .zip file of the album.

Use that tip to download these other albums compiled by Joey Ravn very early in the topic:

Great tip, thanks! People may still want to download them off the Google Drive link in my case, as that preserves each image's original name, rather than the nonsensical generated ones imgur gives them.

I can't keep up with you guys! This looks awesome, great job!!

Hahah, thanks! Forgot to PM you about it, but now you know.

If anyone actually uses them, be sure to post a capture of the result, and I also reiterate my offer to make more for other games anyone may want.

Linkhero1

Here's a comparison of the scanline options. I don't know if anyone's shown the difference. I think the No smooth is a bit harsh like the 4:3, I think darker scanlines might help. Can you still add less blur?

Normal CRT

No Smooth CRT

4:3
Thanks man. I've been waiting for someone to post comparisons.

Credit to Sketcz from another forum.

Keep pressing start until you get to character selection.

Keep going forward until you're at the screen to start a race or buy new stuff for your car.

Choose buy stuff.

You'll notice the palette is all wonky.

Now hold L+R+Start+Select to soft reset.

The title screen menu options should now be visible!(still wonky but hey).

Obviously make a save state now, so you can load straight to the menu for future new games...

Ok even after returning my SNES Classic to its original state and reflashing the custom kernel I can't get this message to go away. When I add games to the classic it breaks all the games that come with it. Plus I get the error message shutting it off.

I got this same error (fresh dl of the latest version) but it seemed to work fine both added games and preinstalled.

Aren't there other options like magfilter / filter?

The no smooth CRT switch is kind of a shortcut for -filter 2 -magfilter 3. If you want something that isn't quite as harsh as the standard pixel filter, -magfilter 2 is somewhere in the middle. It's my favorite.

It is done.

I finished making sprite thumbnails for my entire collection. The result, if I do say so myself, is nothing short of glorious.

pev16I2.png

tRYLJvp.png

bjRPQuP.png

There's three more folders of games, you can see them here if you're so inclined.

More importantly, you, too, can bask in the gloriousness that are sprite thumbnails. I've uploaded them all, plus several alternates for many of the games, to an imgur gallery here, and for much easier downloading, as a rar here. Enjoy, people!

If you are using these, and there's any other game not in there that you'd like to have as a sprite, ask me (PM or quote this) and I may create them for you. :)

Those look really good. What game is the lone Yoshi?

SOLDIER

I can't figure out how to get Famicom Detective Club II working. I've tried applying the patch while it's headered and headered with NTSC.

I think the whole header thing is what's throwing me off. What type of header is a Japanese game supposed to have, and what's the easiest way to apply it?

Top Bottom