• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

It is done.

I finished making sprite thumbnails for my entire collection. The result, if I do say so myself, is nothing short of glorious.

pev16I2.png

tRYLJvp.png

bjRPQuP.png

There's three more folders of games, you can see them here if you're so inclined.

More importantly, you, too, can bask in the gloriousness that are sprite thumbnails. I've uploaded them all, plus several alternates for many of the games, to an imgur gallery here, and for much easier downloading, as a rar here. Enjoy, people!

If you are using these, and there's any other game not in there that you'd like to have as a sprite, ask me (PM or quote this) and I may create them for you. :)

download rar files. Thank you kindly.

Did you find a good image for the Batman Returns box art because i have one but its poor quality.

Mr. Hyde

I tried installing Retroarch and adding Terranigma (with NTSC patch), but it wouldn't work.

It says to put --retroarch in the command line, right? Does that include anywhere in the command line?

Retroarch booted up when added as its own thing, but I don't know how to launch games from it. Also, does having it installed slow down the SNES' menu? I had to wait an extra few seconds when I would hit Select+Start.

Think I prefer leaving it out if that's the case.

If using Retroarch, i am not sure you need the NTSC patch. My version with the NTSC patch said it wasn't a SNES game. I put it through retroarch without patching.

angelic

Banned
Had a great night with my fully set up mini, did Rtype and Rtype 3. I have these on original cart still, and how the hell I beat them as a kid without save states is beyond me.

Uh oh.

So, I tried to bring up Hakchi on my desktop to add more games and i get an error saying the file has been moved and thus the shortcut is no longer valid. I did a search on my desktop and see nothing.

Did I miss something discussed here recently? I imagine if i extract the download rar file for the program that will cause problems, no?

edit: Getting microsoft.net framework error now. "Unhandled exception has occurred in a component in your application."

I read somewhere that save states wouldn't work when using retroarch, but somehow they do work with my NES roms. How come?

Also how can I force a game e.g. Secret of Evermore to use Retroarch?

angelic

Banned
Uh oh.

So, I tried to bring up Hakchi on my desktop to add more games and i get an error saying the file has been moved and thus the shortcut is no longer valid. I did a search on my desktop and see nothing.

Did I miss something discussed here recently? I imagine if i extract the download rar file for the program that will cause problems, no?

You've been running it from the rar? God knows where it's saving the config. Just redownload the new one, extract it in a proper folder and use that.

You've been running it from the rar? God knows where it's saving the config. Just redownload the new one, extract it in a proper folder and use that.

i did. a folder i created onto my desktop...

will try this again. i already added games to my mini so by starting over, do i dump kernel and all that as if im doing this for the first time or no?

angelic

Banned
i did. a folder i created onto my desktop...

will try this again. i already added games to my mini so by starting over, do i dump kernel and all that as if im doing this for the first time or no?

No need to dump the kernel now, but I hope you can find your original dump. Search your computer for kernel_snes.img

As long as youve got that youre fine.

No need to dump the kernel now, but I hope you can find your original dump. Search your computer for kernel_snes.img

As long as youve got that youre fine.

did a search and nadda. im fucked.

the program refuses to even come up. i keep getting an error. just tried reextracting it too and get same error.

Psxphile

Anyone know how to change the mini box icons to sprites? Changing a box art also changes the box icon under.

Isn't it as simple as going into hakchi2 -> games_snes, finding the folder of the game you want to change, and replacing the small boxart file w/ the new one, renamed to match the file name of the replaced file? When you go back and resynch it should update the thumbnail, right? Or is there more to it? Re-adding the game will only cause the program to generate a new thumbnail image from the box art image you choose.

angelic

Banned

the program refuses to even come up. i keep getting an error. just tried reextracting it too and get same error.

It must be somewhere, if you ran hakchi from the rar and extracted your kernel, it must have gone somewhere. But still, you're not fucked, it just means you can't reset the entire mini if you seriously screwed it.

Redownload hakchi, extract to a proper folder, plug your mini in and flash custom kernel...do the reset button / power on and it'll put the latest custom kernel on. Then carry on as normal.

LOUD915

It makes me happy that so many people in this thread love Secret of Evermore, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma

All of them are criminally underrated games.

Dremorak

Banned
I cant get my pc to recognize the snes mini :\ I followed the steps but when the command prompt comes up to install the driver it says "nes mini not found"

gblues

Banned

Sounds like maybe your .NET runtime is hosed? Check your update history and see if .NET updated recently. If it did, uninstall the update and see if that helps.

SOLDIER

Isn't it as simple as going into hakchi2 -> games_snes, finding the folder of the game you want to change, and replacing the small boxart file w/ the new one, renamed to match the file name of the replaced file? When you go back and resynch it should update the thumbnail, right? Or is there more to it? Re-adding the game will only cause the program to generate a new thumbnail image from the box art image you choose.

Is it?

We really need instructions on how to change the thumbnail boxes in the OP.

In addition, I would also like to know what you can and can't do with games that are playing through Retroarch (no borders or save states?).

inner-G

Banned
I cant get my pc to recognize the snes mini : I followed the steps but when the command prompt comes up to install the driver it says "nes mini not found"
Are you using the included cable? If you’re on a laptop or something, make sure it’s a USB port with enough juice to power it

PMS341

Alright, done for now. All icons converted, UI updated and cleaned up, background swapped, etc. Need to work on some more frames soon. Once I get a few more frames together, I'll put all of my icons/frames/borders/etc. in my Drive folder and organize it for ease of access.

PMS341

Everytime I try to do the music hack I get "invalid kernel size".

What could be causing this?

Check the filesize of your WAV. Since they are mostly uncompressed, it can be 30-40MB for a shorter file, still. Try and hit around 3-5MB by saving it as an 8-bit WAV in Audacity.

SOLDIER

Good lord we can customize the menu music now?

Is there a way to have it shuffle between songs yet? I'll wait until I can do that.

PMS341

Good lord we can customize the menu music now?

Is there a way to have it shuffle between songs yet? I'll wait until I can do that.

That was actually one of the first things available! I changed it to some Earthbound music and left it. I had Roundabout by Yes on there for a bit, but it was a bit too aggressive for a menu...

It must be somewhere, if you ran hakchi from the rar and extracted your kernel, it must have gone somewhere. But still, you're not fucked, it just means you can't reset the entire mini if you seriously screwed it.

Redownload hakchi, extract to a proper folder, plug your mini in and flash custom kernel...do the reset button / power on and it'll put the latest custom kernel on. Then carry on as normal.

Sounds like maybe your .NET runtime is hosed? Check your update history and see if .NET updated recently. If it did, uninstall the update and see if that helps.

Redownloading helped. Thank you, both.

Those look really good. What game is the lone Yoshi?

It's Tetris Attack. :)

download rar files. Thank you kindly.

Did you find a good image for the Batman Returns box art because i have one but its poor quality.

I got a pretty comprehensive US SNES covers pack, but I can't find the link anymore. Here's the Batman Returns one, it's decent enough considering it gets resized down anyway:
76DxTZL.png

Coketruck

Okay, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Running the latest version of Hakchi and installed RetroArch (only the RetroArch and snes9x2010 modules). I enter " --retroarch" at the end of a game that I want to run in RetroArch, like Terranigma. I try to run the game, but it doesn't work: the screen goes black for a second, then returns to the main game selection screen. Same thing happens regardless of whether the games are being compressed or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Hakchi is waiting on my SNES but it already has the custom kernel and i already installed the driver????

Whats the deal?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
kkqExSm.png

I don't get it. I can't get past this.

Kernel flashed succesfully. Driver has been installed. Whats the issue?

gweemz

It makes me happy that so many people in this thread love Secret of Evermore, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma

All of them are criminally underrated games.

Do these games play like Secret of Mana? Because I am not liking the gameplay of that game.

Psxphile

Do these games play like Secret of Mana? Because I am not liking the gameplay of that game.

Evermore is basically a Mana game in all but name and theme. They replicated the basic gameplay systems pretty well for a from-scratch Square USA project. The magic system is different enough, relying on drops you collect rather than easily-replenished MP.

The Quintet trilogy consisting of Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia/Time and Terranigma (I think, haven't played it) play more like a Zelda game, where you find and collect your power-ups via solving puzzles and clearing rooms of enemies instead of leveling up.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

So I've already hacked and uploaded plenty of games to this thing no issue. Then this morning I updated hakchi2 to the 2.21b version using the web installer, flashed the new kernel, and attempted to add a few more games (some interesting japan only english translated games by gaf's recommendations + goof troop which I heard is supposed to now be working?). But now every new game I upload launches with a c7 error. All the old stuff still works, but I can't put anything new on there, including stuff that was verified to work on the old version (Marvelous with the DackR patch in particular). On top of that Hakchi2 is now showing only 193.3MB of total storage? I think it was close to 250something before?

Yup

Quote for a new page. Anyone else having this issue?

Syriel

If he was running "from" the RAR, he would have really been runig from a temp folder. If that got cleaned up, then anything in that temp folder was deleted.

Quote for a new page. Anyone else having this issue?

Did you revert to the stock kernel before upgrading to 2.21b and flashing the new kernel? Or did you just flash over your existing hacked system?

LOUD915

Evermore yes.

The other 2 are close but they are more Zelda like in their gameplay.

Both are far more story centric than Zelda.

I liken Evermore as the weird cousin to Mana.

It’s almost like Majora’s Mask is to Ocarina of Time.

sotojuan

So is it just me or (after "hacking" the SNES)...

1) Are the UI buttons/checkboxes very pixelated?

2) Loading from save state takes a bit longer than before?

JayBabay

kkqExSm.png

I don't get it. I can't get past this.

Kernel flashed succesfully. Driver has been installed. Whats the issue?

I just closed that window and proceeded to add games then sync. The same thing came up for me and I was able to just close it. Make sure your SNES actually has the red light on at the point that your done flashing and installing drivers.

1up

Check the filesize of your WAV. Since they are mostly uncompressed, it can be 30-40MB for a shorter file, still. Try and hit around 3-5MB by saving it as an 8-bit WAV in Audacity.

Having it not looped fixed it. Thanks!

TheMan

so overall are you guys pretty pleased with the quality of hikachi? i've been holding off cause i"ve been busy with work since last friday, but could start testing this tonight.

Top Bottom