• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sniper Elite 3 Digital Foundry Face-Off

valkyre

Here is the latest DF Face-Off between PS4/PC/XBOX1

Some quick points:

- PC features tesselation, anisotropic and Anti Alliasing advantages over console versions
- PS4 fares well, almost matching PC IQ (@1080p), running at ultra settings as DF claims.
- XB1 has lower resolution artwork and reduced texture filtering and also limited indirect shadowing
- Fluctuating framerate on both consoles
- PS4 closest to delivering 60 fps experience among consoles, with a 5-10 fps lead over XB1
- XB1 has trouble keeping a consistent framerate when vegetation is on screen
- XB1 suffers a lot from tearing
- PC seems to have lower quality "buggy" shadows compared to consoles

Final Verdict

While Sniper Elite 3 doesn't mark a true next-generation push for the series, it shows a clear evolution of the groundwork laid down in the last game that really benefits from the more wide-scale implementation of large environments and open-world design. Coupled with decent draw distances and reasonably detailed visuals, we get a real sense that Rebellion is moving ever closer to nailing the feel of being a sharpshooter stuck behind enemy lines, albeit in a B-movie type actioner that doesn't always take itself too seriously when it comes to glorifying each and every hard-hitting shot.

As you would expect, the PC version offers up the most graphically complete package of all three releases, but also runs very well on lower-end hardware configurations compared to other recent multi-platform titles. 1080p at 60fps should be easily possible via lowering a few of the less essential settings down a notch - such as shadow quality and disabling obscurance fields. Meanwhile, owners of higher-end graphics cards should be able to take advantage of smooth frame-rates at 1440p and 4K without ruthlessly needing to pair back on the quality of effects.

Rebellion's in-house Asura engine proves that it has the potential to bring a 60fps experience to consoles, although the technology doesn't appear to be fully optimised for the task in hand given the large gap between PC, PS4 and Xbox One performance. The PS4 game holds up rather well in approaching a 60fps set-up while featuring almost identical graphical quality to the PC game running with ultra settings enabled. The frame-rate drops are still distracting, but aren't really severe enough to heavily impact upon the gameplay. It's clearly the most dependable console version and easily the one to go for given the choice.

In comparison, the Xbox One version feels like it could have used a little more time in development to better optimise around Microsoft's more complicated hardware set-up. The graphical compromises rob scenes of some fine detail, while performance fails to deliver anywhere near a perceptual 60fps. An obvious solution for achieving closer parity may have been to drop resolution, but in a game so reliant on picking out small detail from a distance, that probably isn't the best idea. There's the sense that Rebellion simply made the best compromises available. By and large, it works. There's still much to enjoy here - it's just that the experience isn't as solid as it is on competing platforms.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-sniper-elite-3-face-off

X-Ray Kill this thread if old.

M_A_C

Their still blaming devs for PS4 having the better version despite all we know about the hardware this gen. Wow.

genbatzu

I never understood the tearing thing and what's so bad about it, but now... oh god :/

badzjzvl.png

rly2plif.png

I never imagined that much of a difference

Konomori

Neo Member
Whats going on with the clothes in the PS4 Version sometimes, are the Textures not loading properly ? And damn that Tearing in the Xbox version is crazy.

driver116

The PS4 looks excellent in places, but there's still reminders of last gen throughout. Could have benefited from another polish.

Fliesen

Kj6Bp6V.png

PS3 > Xbone confirmed.

Is AO so tough on the GPU btw? that's the feature the Xbone version of a game is most often lacking compared to the PS4 version.

Jesus christ that tearing

How can you even claim something runs at x fps when literally every second frame is only half or quarter of a frame with the other half/3 quarters being a repeat of the last one

If you vsynched the xbone version it would run at what? 20 fps?

How do you even release a game that tears this badly...

ascar

Neo Member
X1 version is lacking AF?

maybe it has it at a lower level

Outside of these differences, the PS4 game matches up closely to the PC release, aside from featuring a lower level of anisotropic filtering (we reckon it's 8x against 16x on the PC) that mildly impacts distant texture sharpness. On the other hand, things appear a little more ropey on Xbox One, with Rebellion making a number of graphical sacrifices, perhaps in order to achieve native 1080p while targeting 60fps. These mainly come down to a reduction in texture filtering and use of lower-resolution artwork deployed upon surfaces on the ground. Indirect shadowing is also limited to screen-space ambient occlusion, while the PS4 and PC appear to utilise a more advanced implementation known as obscurance fields. This effect takes into account the radius between objects across the entire scene to produce a steady fall off with the indirect shadowing between light and dark areas, whereas SSAO creates a simpler black halo around objects that doesn't take into account such properties.

from the OP:
- XB1 suffers from tearing if Vsync is off

I understand from the article that the v-sync has been turned off by the developer trying to keep the xone version running close to 60fps, so probably there is no "if" the vsync is off:
EDIT: I found out there is the option, but in this case I don't understand the remarks made by DF about it:

The performance analysis suggests that Rebellion wanted to target 60fps on both platforms but simply wasn't able to closely achieve anywhere near that on the Xbox One without compromising image quality. In which case a choice was made to disable v-sync in order to get the fastest controller response possible and to allow for the higher frame-rate, albeit at the expense of some horrible screen tearing. Consistency metrics are revealing here because we actually see more latency during frame drops on the PS4 due to the strict adherence to v-sync
That said, even with these compromises it's clear that Rebellion made the right choice where gameplay is concerned: enabling v-sync would almost certainly have things locked closer to 30fps than would be ideal - affecting controller response in the process - and this would have resulted in a heavier feel to the game that would have set it even further apart from the PS4 and PC versions.

valkyre

The game has incredible IQ on PS4. I am really impressed. I would go as far as to say that were IQ is concerned this is the best I have seen on PS4.

Other positive notes are the non-existent pop in the excellent asset streaming with great LOD and texture work.

I am impressed by this title quite a lot technically and never expected to say this...

Piggus

Kj6Bp6V.png

PS3 > Xbone confirmed.

Is AO so tough on the GPU btw? that's the feature the Xbone version of a game is most often lacking compared to the PS4 version.

AO is pretty demanding, yes. It seems to be using a different, more advanced type on PS4 and PC for this game.

I understand from the article that the v-sync has been turned off by the developer trying to keep the xone version running close to 60fps, so probably there is no "if" the vsync is off:

Both versions have a manual V-sync option which syncs @ 30fps, as I recall.

geordiemp

I never understood the tearing thing and what's so bad about it, but now... oh god :/

badzjzvl.png

rly2plif.png

I never imagined that much of a difference

Yeah horrendous. Screen tearing is the worst sin and gives me a head ache

Devs should loose effects / bloom / AF / shadows ...anything before allowing screen tearing

Toxa

The game has incredible IQ on PS4. I am really impressed. I would go as far as to say that were IQ is concerned this is the best I have seen on PS4.

Other positive notes are the non-existent pop in the excellent asset streaming with great LOD and texture work.

I am impressed by this title quite a lot technically and never expected to say this...

I agree

so you bought the game finaly ?

Bruticuz

Banned
What? Yes it does... Did you look at the screens? It seems to have a pretty decent amount of AF.

There where a couple of PS4 games that lacked AF.
Then there was an conclusion that the PS4 had trouble doing AF.
But from official sources Sony said its up to the devs.

The power disparity between the two consoles really is shocking. It's not just a case of development architecture being harder to develop for (like last generation) -- the PS4 is straight up more powerful.

CozMick

Banned
The Xbox one version is straight up terrible.

Each and every face off I get floored with the power difference of the two consoles.

David___

Banned
The power disparity between the two consoles really is shocking. It's not just a case of development architecture being harder to develop for (like last generation) -- the PS4 is straight up more powerful.

Bu but, MS created DirectX, you think they'd give Sony a 30% power advantage!?

Rising_Hei

The differente will only get wider, if each console's devkits improves in the same way for each console, it means that the same difference in % of power will actually be bigger even if the actual percentage stays the same.

As an example...
20 % of 100= 20 vs 40 % of 100= 40 | Difference of 20
20 % of 200 = 40 vs 40 % of 200 = 80 | Difference of 40

And i heard that even the gap in % will grow larger in favour of PS4 because of the compute tech

Toxa

MaxwellSmart.jpg

The old ps4 has no AF joke, how could I forget it.

yeah lool

but indeed some ps4 game lack of AF compared to xbox one version probably due to PC port to PS4 API which lack of direct X unlike Xbox one .

but no the PS4 has no AF issue at all

valkyre

nice :)
custom difficulty ?
so far good or bad game ?

Yep custom difficulty.

I really am getting the hang of the game's mechanics now and I am really enjoying it. Sure it has several issues, but it is a fun game with quite great replay value. All in all good marks from me so far. I've yet to see everything the game offers, but so far its a 7,5-8,0 for me. :)

Gurish

DF are still using the Lazy Devs (TM) excuse for XB1 performance, it's like we don't know what spec each console has.

I don't remember them last gen in any of the face-offs giving the PS3 the benefit of the doubt, every time there was a much smaller difference than what we are seeing today they presented it as a disaster for the platform, either they gone soft or i don't know what's going on.

CozMick

Banned
DF are still using the Lazy Devs (TM) excuse for XB1 performance, it's like we don't know what spec each console has.

I don't remember them last gen in any of the face-offs giving the PS3 the benefit of the doubt, every time there was a much smaller difference than what we are seeing today they presented it as a disaster for the platform, either they gone soft or i don't know what's going on.

We all know what's going on here.......let's not try and fool ourselves.

Leyasu

Banned
Ouch that screen tearing.....

I only have an xbone so I won't be buying this.

Damn Microsoft, you fucked up good with this console in the specs department. Hopefully this will be a short gen, and you'll give us a real successor to the 360 (shakes fist)

glaurung

I think Thief had a funky texture issue on PS4 as well. But that game was a technical mess on almost all platforms.
Thief got patched IIRC. Plays nice on PS4 now.

However this thread has pushed me to the edge. I might just swing by the local Sony store and grab a copy of Schnipper Elite III now.

Jesus christ that tearing

How can you even claim something runs at x fps when literally every second frame is only half or quarter of a frame with the other half/3 quarters being a repeat of the last one

If you vsynched the xbone version it would run at what? 20 fps?

How do you even release a game that tears this badly...

I asked myself the same question when I saw Far Cry 3 on consoles. I think it was even worse than this.
People who aren't aware of what this is must think their copy of the game is defective or something.

Toxa

Yep custom difficulty.

I really am getting the hang of the game's mechanics now and I am really enjoying it. Sure it has several issues, but it is a fun game with quite great replay value. All in all good marks from me so far. I've yet to see everything the game offers, but so far its a 7,5-8,0 for me. :)

I beat the game sunday (14 hours) and I give a solid 8 depiste the flaws.
this game was a suprise to me and I'm happy with it, I like stealth like MGS and I have so much fun with this game .

Now I understand how the game works and my second run is way better

Top Bottom