• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNK Playmore hiring for 3D game, KoF listed

Loona

Next-gen KOF?! :O

Going beyond KoF as their only new console output would be great on its own.

I just remembered that taking on 3D would make a hypothetical crossover with Capcom easier in the future, even if it's wishful thinking.

FINALLY! I know everyone would prefer a new 2D follow-up to XIII. I would too. But it's nice to see SOMETHING going on. Barring Falcoon's awful designs, the MI games were a lot of fun.

Loona

FINALLY! I know everyone would prefer a new 2D follow-up to XIII. I would too. But it's nice to see SOMETHING going on.

Amen!

Barring Falcoon's awful designs, the MI games were a lot of fun.

Not just the designs, but the disproportionate focus on them, at least in the first game. Chae Lim and Duke were OK though, they had a fairly grounded look with a few smal but distinguishing features to identify them that fit South Town's colorfully glamourized urban setting.

Falcoon's not there anymore, and if that's Terry in that pic and considering the quality of the artists than are still with the company, I'm optimistic about their ability to stay true to the spirit of the classics.

Finaika

FINALLY! I know everyone would prefer a new 2D follow-up to XIII. I would too. But it's nice to see SOMETHING going on. Barring Falcoon's awful designs, the MI games were a lot of fun.

Yes.

It's been like 3 years since KOFXIII, I'm dying to see anything new from SNK.

TreIII

Amen!

Not just the designs, but the disproportionate focus on them, at least in the first game. Chae Lim and Duke were OK though, they had a fairly grounded look with a few smal but distinguishing features to identify them that fit South Town's colorfully glamourized urban setting.

Falcoon's not there anymore, and if that's Terry in that pic and considering the quality of the artists than are still with the company, I'm optimistic about their ability to stay true to the spirit of the classics.

Preach!

As I said above, I wouldn't be opposed to some of Falcoon's characters returning...providing they weren't spotlight stealing nearly as much as they were last time.

Anyway, I'm thinking that this is either a new KOF in 3D, or maybe they're going to take advantage of a new team working on a 3D project to make for another flagship franchise, so that another team can be working on KOFXIV.

3D MOTW2 would be fine by me. They can do different things with MOTW that they may not be able to do with KOF.

Recall

3D graphics on a 2D plane ala SFIV would be great. Ill just wait and see rather than knee jerk doom and gloom.

Now let's not get hasty... there were interesting, fun and well-designed character in MI, but Mignon wasn't one of them.

Mignon wears a cat suit! Your argument on any stance on the subject right, wrong or otherwise is completely and utterly invalid. This is utter bias because I main her and I really like her as a character. Really endearing and super cute.

In seriousness though I was one that enjoyed Falcoon's take on a lot of the designs in the series. It was something completely different from anything that KoF did before and it was cool to see.

Alba & Soiree did a great job filling in for Terry & Andy. Duke was a super awesome stand in for Goose Money. Lien pulled off being the new set of Breasts really well. As stated earlier Mignon for being created for being a foil to Athena was well done. Same for Ninon in being Mignon's contrast. Chae Lim was pretty plain but as a substitute for any of the Kim family, Jhun or May Lee was great at doing just that. People are really spilt about Nagase but I liked her and her being in 2 led to having Hanzo in so not for that but being really good in 2 she gets my approval.

The rest of the KoF family being represented transferred to 3D really well. I completely agree with Assless Chaps Blue Mary! And thank Falcoon for doing it too. And Maximum Impact 2/Regulation A wins simply because it is a fighting game with Fiolina Germi in it! And Lilly Kane too! But not Armor Ralf.

And I wish I would've posted the series in that thread about best Fighting Game Music. The 3 games between them have some great music there. Some listened to while this post was being typed.

Loona

Mignon's cat suit is an alternate, so it counts less, although it's still less ridiculous than her main suit. Cham-Cham pulls off the look better.

Mignon would make more sense to include in thee game it Athena wasn't there too, same for the Meira brothers (Terry and Rock were there) and Lien (Mai was there).

When KoF'94 was released they made a better job is poitning to Kyo as the new protagonist without shoving him constantly in our faces - he got substantial screen time in the intro without dominating it, but on the select screen the player 1 and 2 cursors still defaulted to the known characters, Terry and Ryo's teams, who also starred in the mini-tutorial in the game.
Kyo and his team were made relevant through being the Japan team, which was a subtle but meaningful choice, and having more personal involvement with the final boss.

In contrast, if you wanted to play as the boss in MI1, you had to finish the game with the Meiras, regardless of whom else you're done it with, they got practically all the intro animation screen time and everyone else just felt tacked on.
Also they were too damn young to be respected as informal South Town authorities - even two of them weren't enough to fill the big shoes Geese left behind.

I hope it isn't a canon game, I've been waiting for a new Geese sprite for years now..

The canon depends on the continuity you're taking into account - KoF continuity (where Geese is alive) is different from the South Town continuity (Last Blade -> Art of Fighting -> Fatal Fury -> Savage Reign, in this one Geese died in FF Real Bout, alhtough he has a stubborn spirit), and it was stated that the MI games are in a continuity of their own separate fromt the others, although it borrows most from the South Town games (dead/Nightmare Geese) despite including a lot of KoF-only characters.

Maximum Impact 2 was great. I dont get the hate for it (First one was ok) and with how things are going now I believe they can make something interesting.

Yeah, MI2 (KOF 2006) is a quite good game. The first game isn't that great, but the second one really surprised me, it's solidly well made and a lot of fun. Another one like that would be great.

Mignon's cat suit is an alternate, so it counts less, although it's still less ridiculous than her main suit. Cham-Cham pulls off the look better.

Mignon would make more sense to include in thee game it Athena wasn't there too, same for the Meira brothers (Terry and Rock were there) and Lien (Mai was there).

When KoF'94 was released they made a better job is poitning to Kyo as the new protagonist without shoving him constantly in our faces - he got substantial screen time in the intro without dominating it, but on the select screen the player 1 and 2 cursors still defaulted to the known characters, Terry and Ryo's teams, who also starred in the mini-tutorial in the game.
Kyo and his team were made relevant through being the Japan team, which was a subtle but meaningful choice, and having more personal involvement with the final boss.

In contrast, if you wanted to play as the boss in MI1, you had to finish the game with the Meiras, regardless of whom else you're done it with, they got practically all the intro animation screen time and everyone else just felt tacked on.
Also they were too damn young to be respected as informal South Town authorities - even two of them weren't enough to fill the big shoes Geese left behind.

We're talking Cat Suit vs Feral Instincts here. I don't think you can compare the two in this way. And even if you could Cham-Cham is a Felicia rip off so she's automatically disqualified. And if she was so good why was she in 1 canon game which the only thing she did was badly replace Tam-Tam?

But if you want to compare them then Mignon's Cat Suits blow Cham-Cham out the water. Not even in the same league.

When it comes to everyone else the focus on MI was completely on the new faces and the game made that quite clear. And I'm glad it did. Lots of fighters have identity crisis when it comes to who's who but MI snuffed that out quick and let you know that even if your favorites are present they're just here to fill out the roster and nothing more than that.

The one huge thing people miss about MI is this. It was a contemporary retelling of Fatal Fury 1. Alba & Soriee are Terry & Andy to be joined by their Joe later in Luise. Fate & Duke are Jeff Bogard & Geese. We can't have Fate falling out a window so we need something here. Bring in Lien who to a degree fills Mai's role in FF2 being the lone female of importance and
the one who kills Fate under Duke's orders.
Mignon is around just because but she was created to be Athena's foil. This shines through in their varying gameplay differences. Mignon's great zoning with her fireballs vs Athena's awesome rushdown via her whole move list until walls got nerfed in Reg A.

When it comes to KoF '94 in comparison it was Kyo's show but he wasn't ready for the spotlight so Ryo & Terry did that heavy lifting in the '94 then it completely shifted away from them and focused on Kyo & Iori who would drive the story until it was K Dash's turn who dropped that off to Ash. And seeing as Fatal Fury Special was the catalyst and pre-cursor to KoF they deserved the shine for the 1st time out. And the same for Team China & Brazil even though they really didn't get that shine though.

doing well, friend.

after seeing the sucessful transition that SF and MvC did from 2D sprites to 3D models, i want SNK to do the same.

I kinda agree, only because the sad truth being that 3D games sell well to the mainstream crowd (I have the feeling there were guys who passed on XIII solely because it "looked like an SNES game" and I want SNK to do well for themselves.

Sgblues

Maximum Impact 3? Well ok....I guess, least its not another 3D Sam Sho.

was hoping KOFXIV(dream match) would have been announced, along with a few other games like Garou motw2

Tizoc

Rexxx, bro, you and me both know the hotness that is KoF MI: Reg. A, if SNK can build up from how well that game was, you know it'd be boss, even if EVO doesn't want to add it to its line-up.

...but I must be the only one here is sad that it isn't an Art of Fighting or Fatal Fury game =P

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

See, I loved the fact that Falcoon's characters were basically new age parallels to the characters of old; and I didn't mind them getting screentime, because it basically made the work almost feel like 2 games in one. It safely kept it "KOFish", while not making it a mainline replacement of the 2D series. That's exactly what it should have done, so I appreciate it.

You had all your standbys, and they had all their old looks. Then you had a new designer at the helm, with a new cast of characters, who also gave the old characters his own spin at their looks. While they might not have all been great, it was actually nice to see the character archetypes get a modern update; and you had the old designs RIGHT THERE, so it wasn't one of those "All the old is stupid, THROW IT IN THE TRASH!" deals.

And we got people like Rock, Richard Meyer, Fio, Hanzo, Lilly Kane and Xiao Lon into a game; 3D versions of SNK "boss syndrome" style bosses, and throwbacks to everything from Syo Kirishima, Maxima's Robo Army Inspirations, and throwback costumes to nearly Every KoF boss, to MOTW Terry as his own character. Even goofy fun stuff like Gundam Cosplay. And a huge amount of Special Intros and Outros.

Movesets were not just pulled from KoF, but any game the characters had ever appeared in. Not to mention all the new moves in the game, split between actual specials/supers, and unique moves generated in the dial-a-combo systems. I really loved the Vanessa / Dudley moves that Seth had added to his moveset, and Nagase was one of my favorite characters in the game, too. Even the Engrish / JP VA option was appreciated; I'll never forget Galactica Phantom's "REAL MAN'S PUNCH!" subtitle, haha.

I really appreciate Falcoon's ambition with the games. I wish Capcom was so daring when they released SFIV, really. If there's one thing MI2 got right as a "KoF", it's that it was a celebration of all things SNK, and not just the KoF Series in general.

If SNKP could pull off a feature rich series like that again, with improved quality, I'd be more than happy to wait for them to make XIV into the game it deserves to be.

Rexxx, bro, you and me both know the hotness that is KoF MI: Reg. A, if SNK can build up from how well that game was, you know it'd be boss, even if EVO doesn't want to add it to its line-up.

...but I must be the only one here is sad that it isn't an Art of Fighting or Fatal Fury game =P

In the grand scheme of things when it comes to KoF in general is Regulation A is a tie for best game in the franchise with KoF XI. Regulation A is just a solid fighter all around even with Ash and Xiao Lon lurking around. I could give the "I wish more people played it" speech but I won't even bother. Regualtion A just needed to hand out some small buffs (mainly characters going back to their MI2 incarnations), reasonably nerf Ash & Xiao Lon & add Andy, Robert & King.

SNK will never do this and I wouldn't want the series to continue with Falcoon's direction. And seeing as they can't even get Regulation A on XBOX like they said they would 7 years ago I doubt we ever see the series again.

Rhapsody

Banned
If it's a fighter, I hope we don't have to wait years for a console port this time. I know it was kind of out of their hands with XIII, but the late release hurt it for me since there were so many fighters out to play.

Don't dream match games come after the last game?

12(I know, I know) was a dream match game and 13 was a full canon entry. So I'm looking forward to SNK's next entry.

I love how there is ZERO hype for a new SamSho haha. It's alright, though since that sort of reaction is well-deserved following the latest atrocity. Will not play a new SamSho unless it's a straight up 2D fighter. 2D plane is a must, obviously I wouldn't mind 3D models. Anyone remember the SamSho 64 series? IF IT BRINGS BACK SHIKI, I'M DOWN.

all I want is either XIII expanded with Yama and Mary (which, with Billy, would complete the outlaws team; they could add in XIII story characters to team with Ash) or XIV with whatever new characters which I'm hoping will play more like 98/02. Also dear SNK, hire the GGPO dudes.

mao2

This is great news! A new 2.5D KOF would be nice. Also, I hope they'll revive the Fatal Fury series.

Loona

We're talking Cat Suit vs Feral Instincts here. I don't think you can compare the two in this way. And even if you could Cham-Cham is a Felicia rip off so she's automatically disqualified. And if she was so good why was she in 1 canon game which the only thing she did was badly replace Tam-Tam?

They do play completely different, and Cham Cham had a lot more relevance in her setting and game than Felicia had in hers. SNK was quite willing to celebrate their similarities with her alternate palette and a card in Card Fighters though.

And Cham- Cham's super just looks plain badass, while Felicia's just emphasizes her relative helplessness.

But if you want to compare them then Mignon's Cat Suits blow Cham-Cham out the water. Not even in the same league.

Wasn't Cham Cham's craft from an actual leopard or something while Mignon's basically cosplaying. One of those just feels more badass than the other, but hey, personal preference.

When it comes to everyone else the focus on MI was completely on the new faces and the game made that quite clear. And I'm glad it did. Lots of fighters have identity crisis when it comes to who's who but MI snuffed that out quick and let you know that even if your favorites are present they're just here to fill out the roster and nothing more than that.

I have no problem with new faces, but if someone's going to be a new protagonist in an established series, I expect a decent and believable connection to the existing setting and characters - the Meiras feel a bit off because they're outright stated as the ones in charge of a city with a reputation for being violent, by inheriting that role from some guy who somehow managed to succeed Geese when someone with mind control abilities like White from RB Dominated Mind couldn't. They're basically trying to get this supposed inherited authority from an usurper who got their father figure killed.

The protagonists are new, the dead father figure is new, the usurper is new, no narrative is provided to explain the transition to this new cast from the old one, not even from Terry or Rock who should know a thing or two about the whole mess.

It ended up feeling like bad fanfic.

The one huge thing people miss about MI is this. It was a contemporary retelling of Fatal Fury 1. Alba & Soriee are Terry & Andy to be joined by their Joe later in Luise. Fate & Duke are Jeff Bogard & Geese. We can't have Fate falling out a window so we need something here. Bring in Lien who to a degree fills Mai's role in FF2 being the lone female of importance and
the one who kills Fate under Duke's orders.
Mignon is around just because but she was created to be Athena's foil. This shines through in their varying gameplay differences. Mignon's great zoning with her fireballs vs Athena's awesome rushdown via her whole move list until walls got nerfed in Reg A.

When K' and Ash were introduced, sooner or later we got a rather clear view of their connection to those who came beforee, namely Kyo, without aping his own narrative.

In the classic South Town stories, AoF and FF, the protagonists deal with loss from an already fragile position:
* after Ryo and Yuri's mother died, not long after their fther went missing, so Ryo had to get a job to support the two of them while, and his game begins with the loss of his remaining family member, looking everywhere for her with the son of a friend of his missing fatehr, for lack of anyone else to turn to
* Terry and Andy also lost the family they did have, and are implied to have left the city, and in Andy's case in particular, spent the following years preparing to return - their father figure got killed in the middle of the street in broad daylight and nobody could do a damn thing about it because it was the then police commissioner who did it with his bare hands, so their safety was compromised - it took them 10 years to return and had little help to deal with the situation by the time they returned.

The South Town setting is pretty rich and filled with characters and little details the writers added that nobody asked for that could have provided many "bridges" betweent he known stories and a new one, but we got a pale imitation with little relation to what was already there.

And then they tossed in aliens in the damn thing in MI2... now that was really unnecessary, where there was so much already in that fairly grounded setting they could have drawn from, and even the more fantastic elements introduced by the Jin scrolls story from FF3 and RB3, or even all the stuff from Last Blade which shares its continuity.

And the odd thing is, whomever put together the Another Day mini-series seemed aware of it - the 2nd episode starts with Rock seeing himself in Geese's place like in the ending to Real Bout when Geese chooses death to being saved.

Considering in FF3 the Jin twins were poossessed by their ancestors in what was apparently in the scope of the scrolls' teaching, it could be a hint at Geese's spirit living on through his offspring's body. It's the closest thing we have to a hint at Geese's legacy hinted by Kain in Garou until the day that gets a proper sequel.
When i saw that new portrait today I couldn't help but wonder if they were taking on such an idea...

But they went with flippin' aliens and new Marty Stu protagonist...

When it comes to KoF '94 in comparison it was Kyo's show but he wasn't ready for the spotlight so Ryo & Terry did that heavy lifting in the '94 then it completely shifted away from them and focused on Kyo & Iori who would drive the story until it was K Dash's turn who dropped that off to Ash. And seeing as Fatal Fury Special was the catalyst and pre-cursor to KoF they deserved the shine for the 1st time out. And the same for Team China & Brazil even though they really didn't get that shine though.

That's the thing - SNK knew they were dealing with a new game with a different system (which merged the existing games' nicely), so they made sure to put sufficient focus on the known qualities while keeping an eloquent, but not overwhelming, focus on the new setting - it would have been nice if falcoon and company had learned from that elegant solution from a not so distant past, especially when making such a big jump in format and graphics despite retaining a known name.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
3D KoF? EWWWW.

But KoFXIII looked so godlike...

Everyone keeps saying this, but which would you prefer:

• A> SNK makes money with Pachislots, KoF XIV in a few years, no games in between time.
  • B> 3D Sidestory games / other series, along with Pachislot, KoF XIV comes from money of sales in a few years.

I'll gladly take B.

We likely wouldn't have had XII or XIII if not partially for the assistance of MI2 and MIRA's money...

• A> SNK makes money with Pachislots, KoF XIV in a few years, no games in between time.
  • B> 3D Sidestory games / other series, along with Pachislot, KoF XIV comes from money of sales in a few years.

I'll gladly take B.

We likely wouldn't have had XII or XIII of not partially for the assistance of MI2 and MIRA's money...

You are definitely right. But are they making a 3D/2.5D KoF because they think it will sell better?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
You are definitely right. But are they making a 3D/2.5D KoF because they think it will sell better?

If they are making a 3D KoF, I think the best reason would be "We can actually give the fans what they want, without killing ourselves... again".

Large Cast numbers, bonus animations like taunts and intros, the ability to reuse animations easier between characters, potentially easier exporting of assets between multiple games, and a wider acceptance by a larger audience...

Loona

If they are making a 3D KoF, I think the best reason would be "We can actually give the fans what they want, without killing ourselves... again".

Large Cast numbers, bonus animations like taunts and intros, the ability to reuse animations easier between characters, potentially easier exporting of assets between multiple games, and a wider acceptance by a larger audience...

And DLC outfits - everything any of the characters has ever worn in a game or dditional artwork.

I'd gladly pay for Terry's original FF1 look (shorter ponytail, actual sleeves on his jacket), and especially Mai's leather jacket from a Shinkiro illustration from the FF Special days, since that's the most reasonable outfit she every put on anywhere, they lost the right to leave her out since KoF XII "no Mai no buy" mantra, so that would make her tolerable - I'm sure she can have a moveset that doesn't require that tail in her classic outfit.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
doing well, friend.

after seeing the sucessful transition that SF and MvC did from 2D sprites to 3D models, i want SNK to do the same.
MichaelJordanLaughing.gif

On a more serious note, I really would like a game like KOF to hit the 3DS. If DoA, Tekken, SFIV, and BlazBlue did it I don't see why KOF can't.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
And DLC outfits - everything any of the characters has ever worn in a game or dditional artwork.

I'd gladly pay for Terry's original FF1 look (shorter ponytail, actual sleeves on his jacket), and especially Mai's leather jacket from a Shinkiro illustration from the FF Special days, since that's the most reasonable outfit she every put on anywhere, they lost the right to leave her out since KoF XII "no Mai no buy" mantra, so that would make her tolerable - I'm sure she can have a moveset that doesn't require that tail in her classic outfit.

Mai Without Ryu enbu? Hmmm...

Would be first to buy Formal Wear KOF DLC costume pack.

KOF98_3.jpg
KOF98_1.jpg

Another 3D KOF!?!?!?
They didn't learn from the first 2?

Yeah... man, I hope they learned their "Our 3D, content filled KOFs were some of our best selling ever" lesson! How dare SNK, as a business, start making money off games again!

If they have to learn a harsh lesson, I hope it's from Sam-Sen: "People still like our character designs... if there's good gameplay behind them. " If nice that most people liked the idea of new characters, and the character select screen art, and even music of SEN... but the game itself is a turnoff :( (Fun to play randomly with casual gamers, though.)

MichaelJordanLaughing.gif

On a more serious note, I really would like a game like KOF to hit the 3DS. If DoA, Tekken, SFIV, and BlazBlue did it I don't see why KOF can't.

I'd prefer it on Vita. But I'd hope bringing out XIII on Vita, 3DS, or Steam would lead to any new characters introduced being brought into the Arcade and Console versions as DLC / A new Disk release, too.

Biker19

Banned
They should focus on making KOF XIV a Dream Match title featuring the characters from KOF 2003, XI, & XIII, along with bringing back Chris, Shermie, Yashiro, & Omega Rugal.

I think that's what most people would want to see now. If they're going to bring back Samurai Spirits, they should do it in 2.5D in HD, like with the BlazBlue series.

I'll gladly take B.

We likely wouldn't have had XII or XIII if not partially for the assistance of MI2 and MIRA's money...

You have a point.

Top Bottom