• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So apparently PS4 is jailbroken

liquidtmd

Banned
Their will always be a market for this, but these days it's kinda reliant on the pirate either not giving a shit about being online or having a second offline console, with the patching - banning - jigging around CFW race begins again.

With online play and heavy patching processes involved for pretty much all games, many I know just won't touch this.

Was just thinking about this last week.
By this time last gen, 360 was a pirate heaven and this gen console piracy has been close to 0.
Was thinking about making a thread about it, will this be the first console gen without major piracy?

luca_29_bg

They don't. They still get games licensing money, and sell hardware. That being said maybe I missed it, but all I could see in the link was a reproducable UI crash, with the possibility of retrieving a ram dump, so not jailbroken.

Nope, it't jiailbroken, the crash ui it's not related to the jailbreak, for some reason the Twitter quotes don't show correctly. Read the first post again. 😉

Dazza

Works on the current firmware version, read the updates. This is going to skyrocket PS4 sales in certain parts of the world

Seems like some interesting babysteps but I wouldnt offically say anything is jail broken yet.

But after seeing the lack of maturity the console homebrew community has reached last gen I have zero faith in anything useful every happening with console hacking. Seemed like anyone with skill has moved on past console homebrew to more open platforms.

luca_29_bg

QyHdCB0.png

This is the jailbreak, not the ui crash!

This guy found a kernel exploit some time ago after the WebKit exploit. And it's not only him, other people are right now working on this thing.

westman

They've broken out of one layer of sandboxing, but it's not clear to me what that buys them in terms of access. I wouldn't be surprised if there is additional isolation between the gaming and app environments, HW security modules that might still be uncompromised, etc.

luca_29_bg

They've broken out of one layer of sandboxing, but it's not clear to me what that buys them in terms of access. I wouldn't be surprised if there is additional isolation between the gaming and app environments, HW security modules that might still be uncompromised, etc.

They have a kernel exploit, they are out of all layers 😉

DryvBy

If they do manage to get PS1/PS2 games running (and they will) then maybe Sony should reply by letting those who own these games play them.

Vuze

It works on 1.76. That version was superceded by 2.0 on Oct 8, 2014. So unless you haven't upgraded your PS4 in the past 14 months, this jailbreak is useless.
Yeah, but you better bet there are other, yet undiscovered flaws in the OS that could be discovered by the help of this exploit, so that's what I'm hoping for. I didn't really expect the entry point in question to work on the latest firmware (just bought my console a month ago or so, so it's pretty up-to-date) as I implied in the previous post.

BibiMaghoo

Nope, it't jiailbroken, the crash ui it's not related to the jailbreak, for some reason the Twitter quotes don't show correctly. Read the first post again. 😉

Yeah I see now, those pics were not in the OP or article when I read it, though the text was at the top.

luca_29_bg

Yeah, but you better bet there are other, yet undiscovered flaws in the OS that could be discovered by the help of this exploit, so that's what I'm hoping for. I didn't really expect the entry point in question to work on the latest firmware (just bought my console a month ago or so, so it's pretty up-to-date) as I implied in the previous post.

it's only indeed a matter of time !

westman

They have a kernel exploit, they are out of all layers 😉

It's a custom APU, so there could be non-obvious security features implemented in HW, needed for the game environment but not accessible to the app environment. Or additional virtualization, the kernel itself being sandboxed.

Why not, if it's anything like last gen pirates won't be able to play online without getting their consoles banned. Or do you have shares in Sony?

Couldn't people unban themselves after being banned because of how badly it was cracked open? Aside from that the online games were an absolute disaster because of how bad hacking had become.

Why not, if it's anything like last gen pirates won't be able to play online without getting their consoles banned. Or do you have shares in Sony?

Euhm, why would this be a good thing? The notion that SP piracy is good, is just strange and wrong.

KainXVIII

Except pirates can play online on ps3 freely without banning, hack trophies etc.

Joni

Gaming industry isn't really healthy in the first place.
Budget spent on stopping this won't go to other features that are better for players.

aitakute

I mostly play offline game like RPG. People can and will pirate those, especially JRPG so there's a chance that game companies would be reluctant to make more games. Especially in Japan where the market is declining now

Fuck these assholes. And this had to happen before Dark Souls 3 comes out so we get to enjoy cheater invaders online.

Sony's fault if there is no additional layer of protection or they don't ban people who jailbreak.

I also doubt this will produce results until April arrives.

Dazza

Couldn't people unban themselves after being banned because of how badly it was cracked open? Aside from that the online games were an absolute disaster because of how bad hacking had become.

AFAIK On the PS3 you could steal someone's console ID but you needed physical access to their PS3. There was no such thing with the 360, I'm guessing Sony should followed MS's lead and tighten up that area this round

luca_29_bg

It's a custom APU, so there could be non-obvious security features implemented in HW, needed for the game environment but not accessible to the app environment. Or additional virtualization, the kernel itself being sandboxed.

yes maybe, but from what i have read around, they can run everything, so homebrew and games are totally possible right now. Some hackers already play backup games! Maybe i'm wrong, but let see what will happen.

tbhysgb

Budget spent on stopping this won't go to other features that are better for players.
Sony literally cunt punched everyone by not rolling ps2 classics onto ps4 that people paid for. You actually think they care about features that're better for the player? Lol

miserable

Also, the PSP hack was almost as simple as the R4 card for the DS. Piracy doesn't take off unless it's easy for the average consumer. Like the Vita, this PS4 hack won't be either.

needs to be quoted several times. OMG HAX =/= easy piracy

Fuck these assholes. And this had to happen before Dark Souls 3 comes out so we get to enjoy cheater invaders online.

PlayStaiton's firmware team is pretty useless when it comes to everything but they come down swiftly on security exploits.

I expect a FW update that patches this before Christmas.

Joni

Sony literally cunt punched everyone by not rolling ps2 classics onto ps4 that people paid for. You actually think they care about features that're better for the player? Lol
Yes. That is true. They have never launched a feature on the PS4 that any player cared about. How stupid of me.

moai

Well, if true the spike in sales from Brazil will be huge, that i can assure you.

southamerican sales will skyrocket. games are at their highest cost in the last ten years because of the dollar value and people got used to pirate everything on 360 and ps3, so this news is already being cheered on local forums.

sangreal

good news for ps4 hardware sales

but better hope it doesn't get as bad as PS3, where you could literally download games off psn for free

Dazza

Except pirates can play online on ps3 freely without banning, hack trophies etc.

That's not true lots of banning happened. And trophies I don't care about them and even if I did why would I care how many I had compared to someone whom isn't a friend.

Perhaps but it's never stop any generation in the past or PC, where piracy is easily the most prevalent.

I mostly play offline game like RPG. People can and will pirate those, especially JRPG so there's a chance that game companies would be reluctant to make more games. Especially in Japan where the market is declining now

I would argue most people that pirate games never would bother buying them in the first place anyway, and just shift to other avenues where they can get their pirated entertainment fix. It's always a continue cat and mouse with Jailbreaking, you ain't always guaranteed to be able to play the newest releases. If you're talking about the domestic consumer market in Japan, it won't have any effect, very very few Japan pirate

PlayStaiton's firmware team is pretty useless when it comes to everything but they come down swiftly on security exploits.

I expect a FW update that patches this before Christmas.

They have patched this a year ago already, but that won't stop this scum from just keeping their PS4 unpatched just so they can go hack online to ruin everyone's fun.

Mohasus

Their will always be a market for this, but these days it's kinda reliant on the pirate either not giving a shit about being online or having a second offline console, with the patching - banning - jigging around CFW race begins again.

With online play and heavy patching processes involved for pretty much all games, many I know just won't touch this.

It is easier to patch games in a CFW PS3 than in one with OFW.

johntown

Banned
Maybe this could open up the code for emulator possibilities? Not sure if it does.

I own a PS4 but since it is an x86 machine I would think emulation would be easier.

I really only want to play Bloodborne on PC at 60fps.

Top Bottom