• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So apparently PS4 is jailbroken

thuway

The major titles and upcoming releases will probably all begin to adopt some sort of online only policy. Last generation this was more of a concern, but this generation with games like Destiny, the Crew, and the upcoming Free to Play Mobas - I think most people will prefer playing with friends and keep their consoles stock.

On the other hand it should be a very fun time time for those of us curious about emulators and trying to get the PS4 to do tricks it shouldn't be doing.

Stike

Unless we get some "Hello World" printed by the OS, I don't see all that happening.

Hacking Webkit, pfff...

Head.spawn

Put SteamOS on it.

old-spice-guy-head-nod.gif

darkwing

I hope Sony fix this soon. Right now, Sony and some Japanese publishers pushing Asia market really hard, some games even got localization that NA and EU didn't. If this turns out popular, well... :(

how? you can just spoof console ids, I don't think Sony ever bothered to fix it after that happened on the PS3

luca_29_bg

Great news for the overseas friends but I don't see this being a major factor in popular markets unless there's an easy exploit. If it's as simple as download a few files, putting them on your USB, and plugging them in the console. All hell will break loose.

Microsoft might get a few exclusive deals out of it.

it's a software exploit so yeah it will be in this way!

KOCMOHABT

to the people saying install w10 or SteamOS on it... isn't the PS4 actually too weak to play any recent games in their PC versions?

I mean the specs themselves are really not impressive at all compared to the requirements most games have. I can't imagine Witcher3 or Batman running well at all

cheesekao

to the people saying install w10 or SteamOS on it... isn't the PS4 actually too weak to play any recent games in their PC versions?

I mean the specs themselves are really not impressive at all compared to the requirements most games have. I can't imagine Witcher3 or Batman running well at all
Graphics settings are a thing.

luca_29_bg

Unless we get some "Hello World" printed by the OS, I don't see all that happening.

Hacking Webkit, pfff...

they have a kernel exploit, and are out of the sandbox and are patching the ram. It's enough ? It's no more webkit hacking for a while,but it started from it.

KOCMOHABT

Graphics settings are a thing.

Yes except Batman runs badly even on current high end cards, and I don't think the PC version is optimized for a 1.8Ghz multicore at all. Having the main thread on such a slow processor is a big problem, but can be addressed more easily for consoles obviously.

EDIT: 1.6 Ghz. My bad. AMD. Basically 2x AMD A4-5100?

cheesekao

Yes except Batman runs badly even on current high end cards, and I don't think the PC version is optimized for a 1.8Ghz multicore at all. Having the main thread on such a slow processor is a big problem, but can be addressed more easily for consoles obviously.
Batman is hardly a good comparison since it runs like ass on many PCs

liquidtmd

Banned

Irony

I'm pretty sure the Wii U has been able to play retail games for quite some time, or at least within the past few months.

You can't perform the necessary software hack on new firmware, but it's 100% possible to run retail/eshop game dumps.

QaaQer

hackers already are playing games with this exploit...

Proof? And how long till actual mass piracy? It's the same with vita, 3ds, x1, etc. Getting to the point where someone can softmod a console then download a dump and start playing is not like in the DS, PSP, Wii days.

test_account

XP-39C²

Hacking Webkit, pfff...
they have a kernel exploit, and are out of the sandbox and are patching the ram. It's enough ? It's no more webkit hacking for a while,but it started from it.
I dont think that they hacked the Webkit in that regards. They used the Webkit as an entry point. From what i know, they still have to use the Webkit for these things.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Maybe someone will figure out how to enable external hard drives with. Maybe that will force Sony to push it up the priority list.

Great news, if it gets fully cracked it'll be an awesome day for homebrew devs.

Just think, the original Xbox was an x86 console and it was the best homebrew machine in history because of that. I can't even imagine what it'd be like in this day and age when both consoles this gen are x86.

Well I hope Sony lock this down, anyone caught using exploits should lose their account and digital library access.

Ruining the experience of other paying customers should be net with punitive measures. If they make it clear from the beginning that if you do this, here are the punishments, then I would have no sympathy for anyone who gets punished.

m00h

Banned
Yes, give me homebrew on my PS4! Also so much unnecessary speculation mixed up with very strong feelings in this thread.

Proof? And how long till actual mass piracy? It's the same with vita, 3ds, x1, etc. Getting to the point where someone can softmod a console then download a dump and start playing is not like in the DS, PSP, Wii days.

This one is fully hacked and exploited by (relatively) many people. Not en masse like Wii and DS, of course, but I think no console can top that.

luca_29_bg

i don't know but it will end up in a way similar to ps3 scene, it's a software mod, no hardware involved. For now it's on 1.76 firmware but will be like ps3 with cwf. And for hackers playing games i read a twitter conversation between some hackers guys, they are working on it from months now, it's not a fresh thing.

StereoVsn

Why in the world isn't there hardware encryption in the modern consoles. It's fairly easy to embed TPM chips now days and then you have pretty damn strong hardware lock.

test_account

XP-39C²
for now, but if they can patch ram can do very clever things and go much further!
But how is the normal user going to be able to apply those changes without an entry point? The entry point so far is Webkit, and i'm sure that they also need this for the RAM patching (what does this result in by the way? Any info/proof regarding that?). If that entry point was closed after firmware 1.76, most people wont be able to use it. Its the same with PS3. If you update past firmware 3.56 (or maybe its 3.60), you cant apply the hacks.

Top Bottom