• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So apparently PS4 is jailbroken

People using kb and mouse adapters have already killed it anyway. That sort of thing is a lot harder to detect than some actually hacking, server side

Mouse and keyboard adapters are in no way as bad as people that hack the game so that they can run around invincible. You can at least kill those people who have different controller adapters, even if they have a better chance of getting you first.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Not as dried up as Vita in half the lifespan.

And that didn't even get hacked. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dryvby said:
hen maybe Sony should reply by letting those who own these games play them.

Sony? Letting people play their PS3 bought PSN PS2 games on the PS4!? Get outta town!

Fliesen

i don't think Sony should be as worried about this as when PS3 FW 3.55 was jailbroken

A Jailbreak like that usually means you can't upgrade your firmware or go online.
While not an "always-on" console, the notion of an offline-only PS4, to mee, sounds like a far more restricted piece of hardware than an offline-only PS3.

Farsi

Great news for the overseas friends but I don't see this being a major factor in popular markets unless there's an easy exploit. If it's as simple as download a few files, putting them on your USB, and plugging them in the console. All hell will break loose.

Microsoft might get a few exclusive deals out of it.

darkwing

i don't think Sony should be as worried about this as when PS3 FW 3.55 was jailbroken

A Jailbreak like that usually means you can't upgrade your firmware or go online.
While not an "always-on" console, the notion of an offline-only PS4, to mee, sounds like a far more restricted piece of hardware than an offline-only PS3.

hmm based on the method, don't think Sony can detect it?

How open and wide is this supposed to be? I can already imagine millions of PS4's now being kept offline to retain their access to the exploit and I wonder if Sony would even have a patch this late in the year. The only thing I can imagine that will be positive out of such a major breach would be emulation and, in particular, improved PS2 emulation if they now can access Sony's software.

COD online to be ruined in....

I don't care one thing about CoD, but I hope this doesn't mean bad things for the playing field of SFV online.

Dazza

Mouse and keyboard adapters are in no way as bad as people that hack the game so that they can run around invincible. You can at least kill those people who have different controller adapters, even if they have a better chance of getting you first.

One thing I never did get why console servers never had as much hack detection as their PC counterparts, though I do remember some server updates did bring some in on 360

jelly

I still don't understand how you can cheat in console games. When people say old CODS are full of them, how is that actually possible on a console network, don't Sony and Microsoft detect these things, publishers as well? Even Halo 2 had flying Warthogs and stuff.

leeh

This is cool, I totally didn't even think of the opportunity which jailbreaking would create this gen with the x86 CPU's.

I want to see someone boot one up with Windows, with steam on it and see how well it performs as a gaming PC. Can imagine it not being a slouch at all with DX12 to properly utilise those cores.

ktroopa

coswVLP.gif

liquidtmd

Banned

With PSN sales, black Friday sales and generally big drops for most titles these days with a couple of months, the most I've paid for a big new title is £25. With the hassle of keeping CFWs upto date, and downloading / burning to disc and the stakes being my PSN account getting banned and system taken offline...

I see entirely why people do it but its weird. I knew a fair few pirates in the 360/PS3 days and they always downloaded the new titles yet rarely actually played them. Many were just hoarders. Others did it to emulate - which nowadays I'd find strange because Raspberry Pi2 and an SD card can do that upto PS1 days. Anyone who thinks this PS4 'jailbreak' is going to lead to anything like playable PS2 emulation is deluding themselves.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Bio said:
I was never convinced that was the sole reason.
Hardly anything is.
But it's worth noting that Handheld software declines seem to correlate with the rise of piracy on multiple platforms (PSP, GBA and NDS). Admittedly that's not proof of causation(and on GBA it also correlates decline of the platform overall), but with 3 platforms it starts to look like a pattern.

MRORANGE

PS4 being x86 is going to be very interesting in OS prospects, imagine a W10 PS4 running Steam games - It's a pipe dream but people can still wish.

Beefy

I still don't understand how you can cheat in console games. When people say old CODS are full of them, how is that actually possible on a console network, don't Sony and Microsoft detect these things, publishers as well? Even Halo 2 had flying Warthogs and stuff.

I still remember people being walking/flying B52's in COD on the PS3.

eksy

Banned
Not even a big deal. Sony will fix it up quick without a doubt -- in this day and age of patches and firmware.

The only thing I'm looking forward to is to save mod the single-player games. That's what really is useful. It makes me give some games I wouldn't have another chance, mostly because I don't have time to grind. Plus it would eliminate the need for more microtransactions that want you to spend real-life money for in-game currency.

PS4 being x86 is going to be very interesting in OS prospects, imagine a W10 PS4 running Steam games - It's a pipe dream but people can still wish.

Finally, a chance to play Arkham Knight on my platform of choice with all the glorious effects turned on like stuttering, texture corruption and random crashing!

I honestly didn't see it coming this early in the console's life cycle.

Not even a big deal. Sony will fix it up quick without a doubt -- in this day and age of patches and firmware.

It'll only become playing catch up between Sony and the cracker in the upcoming years.

t0rment

fuck this and everyone who want this shit. some ps3 games were unplayable because of hacking going on. sony needs to get their shit together and ban anybody who uses this.

Jonnax

fuck this and everyone who want this shit. some ps3 games were unplayable because of hacking going on. sony needs to get their shit together and ban anybody who uses this.

yeah. I paid money for the box. I don't want no shits fucking up the experience for rep on the internet.

Dami3N

so... this means sony needs to use even more resources and money, on patching and keeping up with hackers?

resources and money that could have been used to make games...

I dont see the upside in this?

this opens up PS5 being a PSNow steam box.

i also love people that say, its for freeware and other bullshit. like oh shut up youre a pirate.

Krigaren

If it's anything like the PS3 you can simply spoof your console ID and continue hacking even if you get a ban.

mieumieu

PS3 security was fundamentally compromised, but Sony patched it and shrugged it off. I doubt they're exactly losing sleep right now.

PS3 piracy has actually affected release considerations of some titles in some countries.
In Asia region, the PS3 version of some games were not localized in Traditional Chinese in fear of piracy affecting sales of other versions (PSVita/PS4).
I truly fear for the future of the PS4 in Asia if this jailbreak method is legit.

QaaQer

Wiiu has been "jailbroken" for yonks yet the data execution module has prevented piracy, same will happen with ps4.

PS3 piracy has actually affected release considerations of some titles in some countries.
In Asia region, the PS3 version of some games were not localized in Traditional Chinese in fear of piracy affecting sales of other versions (PSVita/PS4).
I truly fear for the future of the PS4 in Asia if this jailbreak method is legit.

I hope Sony fix this soon. Right now, Sony and some Japanese publishers pushing Asia market really hard, some games even got localization that NA and EU didn't. If this turns out popular, well... :(

Top Bottom