• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOMA | Review Thread

Fury451

Banned
Basically it's much like that experience but due to the shorter play time, the pacing and story beats hit much quicker and faster and it doesn't overstay it's welcome. :D

Sounds perfect, because as much as I liked some of Alien Isolation, you highlighted the biggest problems it had.

Well that, and the AI being a big cheater at times.

Its not out till midnight

Well yeah I get that, but it's not even listed on there. I can't order it or anything This is literally the first time I've been waiting on a game and it hasn't actually appeared on the network at all. I tried SEN as well and nothing. It's already listed on Steam though.

I have been yearning for an experience with some of the qualities that made the first Bioshock so good for me - atmosphere, tension and great story. Seem's like this will tick all those boxes even though they are different type of games.

USF

Quick #SOMA Facts #1:
- $30 on PC & PS4
- ~10 hours of playtime
- Live on Steam 22nd, 9.00 CET / 0.00 PDT
- US and EU region stores for PS4

Quick #SOMA Facts #2:
- Translations: FRA, SPA, ITA, GER, BRA, RU (text only)
- No VR @ launch
- Digital only
- No PS4 pre-order

Quick #SOMA Facts #3:
- PC Mod tools available at launch
- Steam Workshop support.
@frictionalgames

Excellent, been looking forward to this. Hope it's not as terrifying as Amnesia, because I will not be able to complete it then.

Instro

Ya I couldn't disagree more with most people. I am usually into this stuff but the lack of any danger whatsoever in the game just absolutely made the game fall apart for me.
Though I did think the truly underwater sections were brilliant, most of the time your in the structure and it felt cardboard cutout and unlock this unlock that, turn this knob for hours. As someone who thinks System Shock 2 is a masterpiece I am blown away someone would even think of these 2 in the same thought aside from all the cribbing this game does.

But sometimes games don't hit with certain people and I am cool with that.

So is it like Amnesia as far as there being no real punishment for being caught by the monsters? Can't listen to the review right now.

Karak

Excellent, been looking forward to this. Hope it's not as terrifying as Amnesia, because I will not be able to complete it then.

Its not. Its not even in the same vein and they weren't aiming for that. I think you will be fine.

So is it like Amnesia as far as there being no real punishment for being caught by the monsters? Can't listen to the review right now.

The punishment is getting hit and knocked out a couple times before you die, plus you can heal by fisting sea anemone lol. I think I would have been a bit more engaged had that been toned down a great deal. Especially since the game is interspersed with such a great deal of walking and basically turning knobs.
This is coming from someone who adored Ethan Carter and other games of that kind.

Catdaddy

$30 on PSN

3EQG4QR.gif

Haeleos

I'm really glad this game turned out well. I've had it preordered for a couple weeks now because I'm a big fan of Frictional's past work. Hopefully these reviews drum up some buzz for the game.

eFKac

I'm not one for horror games (although it's getting better lately) but the premise is so interesting in this game, I really want to play it.

Good to hear it's not another Amnesia (I didn't finish it), hope I will get through it.

Bu..bu...but what about the support group?

Sorry Staffs; I'll do my best! It's just that £20 is usually my limit for digital releases, and with it being $30 USD makes me a little concerned that that might translate into a higher price in GBP, despite that amount literally equating to £19.36.

When does this release and on what platforms?

PC & PS4; $30. Not sure about other currencies just yet.

inm8num2

RPS review
SOMA is Frictional’s most accomplished game to date and there are at least two areas that already feel like they’re home to classically constructed horror sequences. It does feel a little bit like watching a creepy movie with a friend who won’t shut up about the philosophical ramifications of it all though – I think sometimes telling can work just as well as showing, but in SOMA’s case a little less of the telling would have been welcome. The areas that the game explores made me curious rather than terrified, and I never felt the anxiety or urgency that I associate with my favourite horror games. Well, except when a monster was chasing me but that had less to do with what that monster was and what being caught might mean, and everything to do with those excellent sound effects and some twisted, twisting level design.

While it is an enormously satisfying and well-crafted game, SOMA never managed to convince me that its themes and plot were in tune with its more traditional first-person frights. It scared me and it gave me cause to think about some of the issues raised, but now that I’m done, I doubt it’ll stay long in my mind, or plucking at my nerves.

Sorry Staffs; I'll do my best! It's just that £20 is usually my limit for digital releases, and with it being $30 USD makes me a little concerned that that might translate into a higher price in GBP, despite that amount literally equating to £19.36.

PC & PS4; $30. Not sure about other currencies just yet.

£23 on Steam before the discount so I'm hoping for something similar personally.

Keio

For a Finer World
I want this but I was freaking out playing Everyone's Gone To Rapture. Do you people think I can handle this?

Karak

Any word on how the PC version's like? Any performance issues?

It ran fairly well. The game isn't really a looker technically. More so in the design. At times when it has a lot of various effects doing on it can bring the framerate down a bit but aside from not being able to turn the almost criminal Chromatic Aberration off its fine.

Solid Raiden

Neo Member
Happy to see such awesome review scores. The horror genre is one of my favorites and was hoping for something new to play for halloween.

It ran fairly well. The game isn't really a looker technically. More so in the design. At times when it has a lot of various effects doing on it can bring the framerate down a bit but aside from not being able to turn the almost criminal Chromatic Aberration off its fine.
You can turn it off
ChromAbb is only used when you are heavily damaged or in other unpleasant states, so if you do not like it then it should work quite well :)

Jokes aside, if you really want to remove it, there is a setting to turn it off (game-> color separation).

Why would you want to turn it off? Considering the plot and themes, the Chromatic Aberration effect makes perfect sense, rather than just being gratuituous

Top Bottom