• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOMA | Review Thread

Raoh

Can't decide which version to get.

PS4 - Huge screen, the missus and I experiencing it together
PC - Nice graphics/controls, headphones to really get immersed

Headphone wise, you can plug really great headphones into the DS4. I plug my Astro A40's directly into the controller and get great sound even without sending the audio directly from PS4 using the sound mixer.

For games where I want to use headphones I choose the PS4 over the Xbox One just for that feature alone.

Z3M0G

Started to watch the IGN video review, but I find he spoils major story elements... so stay away from that IMO.

Karak

You can turn it off

Why would you want to turn it off? Considering the plot and themes, the Chromatic Aberration effect makes perfect sense, rather than just being gratuituous

I just now found that. For some reason I missed it the first go through in my options. Thats great as it makes a good number of games really ill.

Chromatic aberration gives me headaches and doesn't look good.
I only realized this after my Alien review and found out not only are there a massive number of people who are susceptible to some kind of eyestrain from it but additionally so are some of the people who help me on the channel from time to time.

Shame that it's not as inspired in the game design as its themes which Thomas Grip kept going on about for many years. I was expecting this to be even better than Alien Isolation. I can't be the only one who was anticipating this as the next horror gaming masterpiece based on what Thomas Grip had been lecturing and talking about how other horror games falter. Guess criticising really is easier even as a lead designer than fixing the problems.

algert

Banned
Gamespot said:
It may not stir the hordes of wailing YouTubers looking for the next best haunted house, but SOMA succeeds at crafting something much more meaningful in a genre that’s deserving of more than just simple jump scares.

According to this writer, those who will enjoy SOMA are apparently separate from those "wailing YouTubers" who are stirred by "simple jump scares." SOMA is for the audience of gamers who are after "something much more meaningful" in a genre that "deserves more."

Right, because it isn't possible to enjoy both kinds of horror game and because one kind is simply better than the other. What lazy pandering.

According to this writer, those who will enjoy SOMA are apparently separate from those "wailing YouTubers" who are stirred by "simple jump scares." SOMA is for the audience of gamers who are after "something much more meaningful" in a genre that "deserves more."

Right, because it isn't possible to enjoy both kinds of horror game and because one kind is simply better than the other. What lazy pandering.
Not sure how you're getting that interpretation.

It's say that the game doesn't rely on jump scares like many of the horror games that are popular with streamers (Five Nights, etc.) and tries to deliver an intelligent sci-fi story rather than just have the setting be an excuse for scary monsters. Sci-fi absolutely deserves better

In no way does that excerpt imply that one is better than the other or that people can't like both

Anon67

Looks like something to get for Halloween. Glad to hear that it's great since now I have more to look forward to.

RAIDEN1

So is this game up there with the latest Aliens game that came out last year??...(forgotten the actual title of that game..)

MUnited83

For you.
Not sure how you're getting that interpretation.

It's say that the game doesn't rely on jump scares like many of the horror games that are popular with streamers (Five Nights, etc.) and tries to deliver an intelligent sci-fi story rather than just have the setting be an excuse for scary monsters. Sci-fi absolutely deserves better

In no way does that excerpt imply that one is better than the other or that people can't like both
Its a weird sentence for sure. Amnesia was the first game that hit it really big on Youtube.

FelipeMGM

Wow, amazing scores including a 9/10 from Polygon. And Im still waiting on my PS4 review copy, Frictional said that like 500 outlets submited for a review copy.

Until Dan and now this, both got great scores

and next month we have Fatal Frame!! so many horror games.

Now I want to play Until Dan soo baad

Bishop89

Will get it, disappointed with the trophy list, no platinum 😕. There are actually people on playstationtrophies.com who won't purchase it cause no platinum even though it's a 10 hour game lol sad.

CHC

There are actually people on playstationtrophies.com who won't purchase it cause no platinum even though it's a 10 hour game lol sad.

v8Uu48T.jpg

Will get it, disappointed with the trophy list, no platinum 😕. There are actually people on playstationtrophies.com who won't purchase it cause no platinum even though it's a 10 hour game lol sad.

Sounds like they are missing out on some good games based on a really sad metric :-/

SomTervo

Frictional absolutely deserve this. Their development philosophy is airtight. SOMA looks brilliant. Really look forward to playing it, hopefully with my GF. We loved Amnesia.

Good, I was expecting something great more akin to the penumbra series and that's what I got. A machine for pigs was really bad.

These developers didn't make A Machine For Pigs, luckily. They only supervised that.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Forgot to set my PS4 in rest-mode this morning. I purchased it 5 min ago and my girlfriend will be back home around in about 2 hours. She can fire up my PS4 and begin downloading.

shmoglish

There are actually people on playstationtrophies.com who won't purchase it cause no platinum even though it's a 10 hour game lol sad.
Well, often before I buy a game I check the trophy list. But not buying it because of that is bullshit.

What I don`t understand is the "big" difference in the ratings between the Pc (85) and Ps4 (76) version. I can not acces the page right now and read it by myself, but are there any reasons (like bugs or inconsistenst fps for example) for the difference?

Already bought the game for the Ps4, but I still want to know whats the reason.

Lingitiz

Well, often before I buy a game I check the trophy list. But not buying it because of that is bullshit.

What I don`t understand is the "big" difference in the ratings between the Pc (85) and Ps4 (76) version. I can not acces the page right now and read it by myself, but are there any reasons (like bugs or inconsistenst fps for example) for the difference?

Already bought the game for the Ps4, but I still want to know whats the reason.
21 vs. 6 critics. Probably all got PC review copies.

dr guildo

I knew this game would rock !
One of my most anticipated one in this year.
This gen is so good for the horror lovers : ALienIsolation, UntilDawn, EvilWithin, Outcast and now Soma.

Trying to avoid spoilers. How long is it supposed to be?

And not in "200 hours of gameplay" terms. As in "machine for pigs was 2 and a bit hours" terms.

Top Bottom