• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some Playstation Experience games and developers announced

Sure, you think it'd take ten years for that? No. We inherently know their plan would be grand just based on what they've said about it.

True, but when really thinking about it the PS2 era was too soon to think about a remake so it would either be the PS3 era which most devs hated or this gen. Seems like the perfect environment for a remake.

I mean look at all the homage's being made to old FF's in FFXV with the enemy designs and such. Tons of old school references. They seem to have gotten a little mojo back lately and who knows, if Sony approached them about it, agreed to assist with marketing / development / engine / art they could of agreed. Maybe in 2012 or something when Sony was approaching everyone about the design decisions for the new hardware?

I could see it happening this gen. I would actually prefer an old school remake of the original with beautiful pre-rendered backgrounds and just a redone engine for the battle system / overworld map.

The only thing that would kill it if they replaced the original battle system. Oh my god that would be a shitstorm almost worth seeing.

I know at this point it is redundant to talk about FFVII remake but I dunno ... I have a funny feeling

BadWolf

Naughty Dog has a 2nd major project in early pre-production aside from UC4, but we're not going to hear anything concrete about that for at least a year, unless they decide they're going to go the route of "announce game 2 years before release."

Well Sony does have to start announcing stuff for 2016 and beyond since most of what we know from them already will be coming out in 2015.

Well Sony does have to start announcing stuff for 2016 and beyond since most of what we know from them already will be coming out in 2015.

I don't think Sony will announce anything from their 2016 release calendar at PSX with the exception of a one last thing game reveal.

Keep announcement cycles to 12 months or less, please.

Cornbread78

Because they wouldn't do that.

If you target purely the nostalgia angle, you're only going to sell at most as many as the original, minus all those people who no longer game or care, you wouldn't get anywhere close to the estimation you posted.

To be a big deal, it needs to be redone to XV quality. It could easily cost a hundred million dollars, another fifty to market it, you're already looking at five million new copies at full price to get into the black.

hmmmm

yeah I don't think so. A remake of FFVII would be expected to adhere to the originals aert style and presentation style. Don't think people would be really bothered by it.

and I think you are underestimating gamers overall love for FFVII. A true SE done FFVII with a remade graphic engine for the overworld map and battle system and redrawn beautiful pre-rendered backgrounds would sell like hotcakes. Minimum 5 million. Skies the limit on the maximum I think.

This is a really tough one guys, but I'll have to side with Random on this one. A Final Fantasy VII remake would be a HUGE get for Sony if it were still exclusive to PS4. I mean, massive in NA, EU, JP and all over the world. FFVII was a game changer in the way we saw, played and felt about video games during the PS1 era. It, single handedly, broke Sega, introduced RPGs to millions of new gamers and jump-started the Playstation brand. Yes, there is a little bit of hyperbole there, but what is not really true there?

Just a random view of images, we are going from:

Screen-Shot-2012-04-24-at-01.40.57.png

in the tech demo for PS3:

FF7_Remake_demo_01.jpg

final-fantasy-vii-technical-demo-for-ps3-20060119005805734.jpg

but now, they could probably push closer to this:

cloud-strife-advent-children-anime-cloud-ffvii-strife-485x728.jpg

181px-AerisFF7AC.jpg

Even with a large investment into the game by Sony, they could easily see a very high ROI on the sales and marketing behind the game especially in Japan where they could really build sales and reinvigorate the console market to younger players that may not know the story. Remember, this game not only has the "feels" in the game for new players, but players coming back get to see teh game in a whole new light, experience it in a new way and will love it like a lost puppy that returned home.

If they were smart, they would throw the money as SE to make it and hire everyone back as consultants to make it right, with the original artstyle, music and atmosphere, just updaet the graphics completely...

Dem feels man, dem feels...

Frankly, I'm kinda not so keen on a full-blown FFVII remake anymore. It's unquestionably a huge undertaking, and personally, I'd rather that effort is better off put to a new FF title rather than remaking FFVII.

If they were to remake FFVII... just give it a Bravely Default treatment. High-quality pre-rendered static background, same overworld design as the previous game, but just in high-quality assets. Something that stands the test of time for today's graphical expectations, but not a OMG ADVENT CHILDREN IN REAL TIME game.

Frankly, I'm kinda not so keen on a full-blown FFVII remake anymore. It's unquestionably a huge undertaking, and personally, I'd rather that effort is better off put to a new FF title rather than remaking FFVII.

If they were to remake FFVII... just give it a Bravely Default treatment. High-quality pre-rendered static background, same overworld design as the previous game, but just in high-quality assets. Something that stands the test of time for today's graphical expectations, but not a OMG ADVENT CHILDREN IN REAL TIME game.

Then it won't be worth it .
A FFVIIR should get full open world treatment like FFXV .
Best gfx you can get , online mini games , improve battle system.
Rewrites to make the story better , full VA etc etc
Hell they could charge a huge amount and i would by it .

yeah I do think that would be a pretty massive undertaking, and such a huge change it might actually turn off the original fans.

the main reason I would love a FFVII remake is the chance to have a high budget, incredible looking ATB battle system lol. I want my summons back, my cinematic camera panning around the battle stage and my turn based / tactical combat.

Could you imagine Knights of the Round with a current gen engine behind it? Oh man.

StuBurns

Banned
True, but when really thinking about it the PS2 era was too soon to think about a remake so it would either be the PS3 era which most devs hated or this gen. Seems like the perfect environment for a remake...
I think in a sense, it seems more viable now than ever. PS4 is going to dominate the console market for the next five years, Sony is in a position to co-publish and take a lot of the financial strain off SE for the project. I think it'd be better now than any time until now, but even with that, I seriously doubt it'd happen.

Not sure why we're still talking about FFVII remake anymore. Is it 2006? It's never going to happen, especially with how SQE is focusing their business strategy on right now. They are going full-blown mobile and handheld. We're fortunate enough that they still have a high budget console titles like FFXV and KHIII in production. Those 2 projects already absorb so many staffs into them. Many key staffs are also continuing their works on FFXIV. Also they just announced 3 FF mobile games and there should be significant amount of staffs working on those projects as well. There is no way SQE will add another giant project into production simply because they don't have enough staffs and/or not willing to invest into a title that relies on nostalgia fans.

Draft

PS4 is the platform for ports, so I agree with many posters ITT. The time for a FFVII port is now, and the platform is PS4.

Not sure why we're still talking about FFVII remake anymore. Is it 2006? It's never going to happen, especially with how SQE is focusing their business strategy on right now. They are going full-blown mobile and handheld. We're fortunate enough that they still have a high budget console titles like FFXV and KHIII in production. Those 2 projects already absorb so many staffs into them. Many key staffs are also continuing their works on FFXIV. Also they just announced 3 FF mobile games and there should be significant amount of staffs working on those projects as well. There is no way SQE will add another giant project into production simply because they don't have enough staffs and/or not willing to invest into a title that relies on nostalgia fans.

Kitase said during the Ps3 Era, that he wuold consider doing a FF7 Remake after FF13 and Versus 13
(He was the director of FF7)

Now the FF13 Saga ended, FF XV is developed by a different team without the involvment of Kitase.
And Kitase himself is working on another secret Project

FF7 Remake
Director Kitase
Characterdesing Nomura
Music Uematsu
Battle System Ito

In Verendus i trust

Now is the perfect time for Kitase to focus on a Remake.

delSai

I wonder what the latest situation is with local emulation.
With all the ps1 and ps2 related things that got posted i think some kind of emulation is happening. Remember the file that said Classics are getting trophies? Maybe it is something like this for Ps4.

With all the ps1 and ps2 related things that got posted i think some kind of emulation is happening. Remember the file that said Classics are getting trophies? Maybe it is something like this for Ps4.

Oh lawddd Trophies!!

If Trophies are supported i wonder if it will be for all games or just the most Popular PS1 & 2 games.

androvsky

I wonder what the latest situation is with local emulation.
As of a couple months ago, Torgo from the PlayStation Nation podcast said he'd heard from three different sources that they were seeing evidence that local emulation of PS1 and PS2 discs (yes, discs, he was very specific) was being added. He has a lot of good contacts so there's little question as to the reliability, the only problem is he was very careful to explain that things can and do change. Like I know of at least three sources that could confirm the PS3 was getting cross-game chat and it was in the debug firmware for years.

I've heard nothing since then, but now Sony is dropping all sorts of nostalgia hints for this event. It's expected they'd do that given the nature of the event, local emulation or not. On the other hand, this would be the best event to announce something like that.

Kitase said during the Ps3 Era, that he wuold consider doing a FF7 Remake after FF13 and Versus 13

Now the FF13 Saga ended, FF XV is developed by a different team without the involvment of Kitase.

This is what he said the most recently

"I can honestly tell you I would love to do that," he replied. "If you simply ask me if I personally would like to do that, yes I would. Definitely. There's no lie about it. But you must believe me when I say it would take a lot to happen."

Kitase mentioned "staff availability and budget" as two major barriers to the project being greenlit. This tallies with comments Kitase made in 2010, when he said in order to remake Final Fantasy 7 to the quality of Final Fantasy 13 it would take three or four times longer than it took to develop the divisive PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 game.

But there's another major barrier to the project being greenlit: Kitase's personal motivation to create it.

"Even if I casually say I would like to do that, because it would be a huge project I would have to motivate myself to the level that I really am prepared to take on this huge responsibility," he said.

"I don't know if those three things will happen simultaneously. It has to tick lots of very big boxes. I won't rule out the possibility, but it would take a lot to make it happen.

"But should I ever take it on, it would have to be the biggest project I've done. My life work. So I would have to be as highly motivated as that to end up with something I'm very happy with. It's a huge thing for me."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-17-a-chat-about-that-final-fantasy-7-remake

It's not going to happen. Stahp it already guys.

It's not like Final Fantasy VII is not in gamers minds anymore, even young gamers who have never played the game know about it. Heck, they even know about Aeris.

It's a game that has trascended way beyond it's generation, and it's know a part of gaming culture. It also was an extremely important game for Sony way back when.

There is a reason why Sony keeps putting FF VII in all of their montages.

Oh man still talking about FF7r. Even if it comes.... Noooooobway this would be exclusive to PS4. If they ever do it it will come on PS4, XBO, PC, iOS, Android.

Hiko

Banned
If FFVIIR happens, would Kitase even be directing it? Or would it be Toriyama?

androvsky said:
As of a couple months ago, Torgo from the PlayStation Nation podcast said he'd heard from three different sources that they were seeing evidence that local emulation of PS1 and PS2 discs (yes, discs, he was very specific) was being added. He has a lot of good contacts so there's little question as to the reliability, the only problem is he was very careful to explain that things can and do change. Like I know of at least three sources that could confirm the PS3 was getting cross-game chat and it was in the debug firmware for years.

I've heard nothing since then, but now Sony is dropping all sorts of nostalgia hints for this event. It's expected they'd do that given the nature of the event, local emulation or not. On the other hand, this would be the best event to announce something like that.

Oh man, I didn't know he was specific about discs.

Dragon Quest 8 on my ps4...

I think in a sense, it seems more viable now than ever. PS4 is going to dominate the console market for the next five years, Sony is in a position to co-publish and take a lot of the financial strain off SE for the project. I think it'd be better now than any time until now, but even with that, I seriously doubt it'd happen.

While I'm sure Square Enix would agree to it if Sony put forward a lot of marketing and development dollars, to me it does not seem like a good investment at this point. If they're gonna put forward say $30 million for that, I'd rather Sony just invest that money into a project from their own Japan Studios. Plus, I don't trust SE's development capabilities these days, and selfishly I'd prefer they don't tarnish my favourite game ever by fucking with it.

FF7 Remake
Director Kitase
Characterdesing Nomura
Music Uematsu
Battle System Ito

In Verendus i trust

Now is the perfect time for Kitase to focus on a Remake.

you know what, Kitase has been strangely quiet lately yeah? Haven't seen his name attached to any big FF in awhile.

MAYBE hes been busy?

wmlk

While I'm sure Square Enix would agree to it if Sony put forward a lot of marketing and development dollars, to me it does not seem like a good investment at this point. If they're gonna put forward say $30 million for that, I'd rather Sony just invest that money into a project from their own Japan Studios. Plus, I don't trust SE's development capabilities these days, and selfishly I'd prefer they don't tarnish my favourite game ever by fucking with it.

Japan Studio isn't all that great.

Are people seriously expecting FFVII remake? C'mon guys.

you know what, Kitase has been strangely quiet lately yeah? Haven't seen his name attached to any big FF in awhile.

MAYBE hes been busy?

Wasn't he the producer for Lightning Returns? He is involved in a lot of FF games, I think he was also part of Type-0's staff.

FF VII is also my favorite game ever, but would a remake that isn't as good as good as what is anticipated really tarnish the original game?

I would still love the game as much as I did before and it would still be one of the best games of all time. I just would be sad that they squandered the opportunity to truly make something special with a remake.

Kind of like the Last Airbender movie. I was more angry that they didn't give the project to a more competent director and of the lost opportunity to make an amazing movie than angry because they had tarnished the series it was based off.

wmlk

Please people, the dream is dead.

SE is working on Kingdom Hearts III, Final Fantasy XV, ARR, and who knows what the situation is with DQXI and if it's outsourced or not?

They won't work on FFVII, a project as large as Final Fantasy XV if not larger, and just announce it here before their next mainline game hits in 2016.

Please.

salromano

Well, the majority of Japan Studio's output are collaborations, so it depends on who they're working with. There's very little Japan Studio-only developed games.

The most recent ones are: Knack (PS4), Puppeteer (PS3), Gravity Rush (Vita), and Echochrome II (PS3 in 2010). Of course, the Siren games and Team ICO games also fit into this category.

Kaiken

Banned
FFVII, I still believe... My gaming time is running out so they'll need to hurry this bad boy out within three years. It will sell, it will be huge and will reside in the Hall of Game.

aerts1js

The FF7 remake is still being brought up in threads like this? I got over the idea of this ever happening.

Almost a decade ago.

Well, in the last couple of years Japan Studios have developed Puppeteer, Gravity Rush (and Knack), as well as co-developed a bunch of games like Rain, Freedom Wars, Soul Sacrifice, Tokyo Jungle and soon Bloodborne. I'd say that's a shit load more reliable and consistent than anything Square have output in the best part of a decade.

Top Bottom