• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic and all stars racing transformed is out on ios

S0L

SUMO DIGITAL
Touch works great, I'm not very good with touch controls but here I could won races at hard difficulty. Tilt in the other hand isn't good imo, I don't know if I suck with it or is bad, but with touch I'll be fine, and like I said, at least on my Ipad 3RD the game has some unstable framerate at times, with the water stage in panzer dragoon being really bad

That's odd, it runs pretty smooth on ours. Worth making sure you don't have other stuff running in case it's interfering with it.

We're certainly not done with the mobile version though, got some new stuff coming on the near horizon...

---
S0L
---

Tizoc

Could someone point out what are the purchase only content r in case i end up unloking everything?

BakaJaNai

Banned
Even if you claim that "you can get everything ingame for free" i hate the fact that all these reminder pop-ups advertising IAP will bug you forever.

Despicable game design, especially for a $5 mobile game.

P.S. compared image quality to my Vita version - well thats quite a downgrade...

Dingotech

Except you do have the whole game. Like many others, you have to play it to unlock content. You earn rings from beating events.

You can opt to go and buy some more Rings or Stars if you want, or you can shortcut playing through by buying characters if you prefer, but it's optional.

Of course the purchases are optional, they always are with in-app purchases.

Don't tell me you're not constantly hassling players to buy unlocks when another GAFer posted 10 screens showing 'rings/stars' to unlock stuff. I don't care if you give a heap of rings and stars each race, it's still unlocks and a F2P model and you're asking people to pay for the game.

S0L

SUMO DIGITAL
Even if you claim that "you can get everything ingame for free" i hate the fact that all these reminder pop-ups advertising IAP will bug you forever.

Despicable game design, especially for a $5 mobile game.

P.S. compared image quality to my Vita version - well thats quite a downgrade...

There are no pop-ups and no adverts. Those shots you saw of the paid for purchasable stuff (Free Races Forever etc) are from the in-game shop.

You earn Rings and Stars by playing events, it costs Rings and Stars to play events (except the free ones of which there is always an option). You can play the whole game without ever visiting the shop too BTW.

Of course the purchases are optional, they always are with in-app purchases.

Don't tell me you're not constantly hassling players to buy unlocks when another GAFer posted 10 screens showing 'rings/stars' to unlock stuff. I don't care if you give a heap of rings and stars each race, it's still unlocks and a F2P model and you're asking people to pay for the game.

We're not. As above, you earn Rings and Stars playing the game, you then spend these to unlock more content. You can choose to play and do this, or you can take a shortcut by buying some. Again there are no adverts, or pop-ups or hassle messages, or energy systems or 'Pay now to deliver this spare part quicker'.

You can opt to have all the characters right away if you want by paying for them, but equally you can play through the game and unlock them via gameplay.

Let me give you an example. when you play a free event at easy difficulty, you earn 700 rings. If you've never played it before, you also earn one star. If you play an Expert event (which costs 1 Star) and pass it, you earn 2 stars. You are always making gains.

I've been playing GT6, that got a lot of stick for selling Credits. I'm currently about 5 hours in and I've not bothered to buy any as you get so many by playing there is really no need. But I could if I wanted chuck £7.99 to get a million credits and bling my car up.

But I don't have too. Same goes here. You can buy the game for $4.99 and never pay anything ever again. You can unlock the whole lot through play.

Maybe you want to play immediately online with your favourite character though and don't want to play through single player. In which case the option is there.

I'll be explicitly clear, you don't need to pay any more money after buying the game to unlock of the content.

We're already getting players telling us they're amassing currency at a right old rate, if anything, we might have to tweak it down!

---
S0L
---

There are no pop-ups and no adverts. Those shots you saw of the paid for purchasable stuff (Free Races Forever etc) are from the in-game shop.

You earn Rings and Stars by playing events, it costs Rings and Stars to play events (except the free ones of which there is always an option). You can play the whole game without ever visiting the shop too BTW.

We're not. As above, you earn Rings and Stars playing the game, you then spend these to unlock more content. You can choose to play and do this, or you can take a shortcut by buying some. Again there are no adverts, or pop-ups or hassle messages, or energy systems or 'Pay now to deliver this spare part quicker'.

You can opt to have all the characters right away if you want by paying for them, but equally you can play through the game and unlock them via gameplay.

Let me give you an example. when you play a free event at easy difficulty, you earn 700 rings. If you've never played it before, you also earn one star. If you play an Expert event (which costs 1 Star) and pass it, you earn 2 stars. You are always making gains.

I've been playing GT6, that got a lot of stick for selling Credits. I'm currently about 5 hours in and I've not bothered to buy any as you get so many by playing there is really no need. But I could if I wanted chuck £7.99 to get a million credits and bling my car up.

But I don't have too. Same goes here. You can buy the game for $4.99 and never pay anything ever again. You can unlock the whole lot through play.

Maybe you want to play immediately online with your favourite character though and don't want to play through single player. In which case the option is there.

I'll be explicitly clear, you don't need to pay any more money after buying the game to unlock of the content.

We're already getting players telling us they're amassing currency at a right old rate, if anything, we might have to tweak it down!

---
S0L
---
Will the PS3/360/U/Vita versions see any dlc?

stuminus3

Jesus H Christ. I got really excited when I saw the Ryu in iOS screens the Sega Twitter account was posting. Now I'm just sad. Mobile gaming is done. What a terrible waste of potential. I say this even after reading what S0L has to say. Sorry, S0L. I love you but I can't do this anymore.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I have the first Sonic Racing on iOS and it's terrible. Controls were just shit to me so I deleted it.
I'll stick with Transformed on Vita which plays perfectly.

Sid

I wonder how does the game look & run (most importantly) compared to the Vita version,while the Vita version looked good it ran poorly at times.

so whats the rings currency all about? I don't remember there being one on pc (or was there?).

There are only two forms of "currency" on the PC, both of them ingame:-

1. Stars used to unlock new stages, characters and racer kart mods in World Tour Mode. Acquired by winning stages at the various difficulty levels and eventually requires you play every stage at Hard/Expert mode to unlock everything.

2. Coins which were gained in stages, used for the slot machine prior to racing for initial powerups/pickups/weapons.

None of them ever involved any form of IAP/storefront.

Shinta

Banned
That's odd, it runs pretty smooth on ours. Worth making sure you don't have other stuff running in case it's interfering with it.

We're certainly not done with the mobile version though, got some new stuff coming on the near horizon...

---
S0L
---

So I bought this game twice, for PS3 and Vita at full price.

Are you guys planning on bringing any DLC out for these? I am feeling like all you guys care about now is PC and this.

There was a poll and everything. I don't know why that has to be secret so far after the game has released.

sooo in short.

$5

gets you core game with everything unlockable without paying and cash is generous.

+$10 more

gets rid of the new currency and makes it pretty much like the other versions?

SmokyDave

What if I don't pass the expert event? Is it still unlocked or do I need to use another star? If I need to use another star, can I replay the free event to gain another?

Jesus H Christ. I got really excited when I saw the Ryu in iOS screens the Sega Twitter account was posting. Now I'm just sad. Mobile gaming is done. What a terrible waste of potential. I say this even after reading what S0L has to say. Sorry, S0L. I love you but I can't do this anymore.
Yup, I feel ya. I'm pretty big on mobile gaming and generally stick to higher priced offerings without excessive IAP. That's getting harder and harder :(

Jet Car Stunts 2 has the right idea on how to implement IAP.

TimmiT

For some reason the game freezes whenever I want to go to the main menu. The tutorial race played fine for me though. Using an iPhone 4S.

Also, not really a big fan of micro transactions in general. Even if it's possible to just get everything without paying for anything, it still seems shady to me to have so many options to pay SEGA more money for a game you already payed money for. I guess that's just the sad future of video games in general though.

wait they turned a fantastic game into a microtransaction-fest? no thanks, sticking with my PC version-

thank you GAF for pointing that out-and saving me 5 (actually 15) bucks

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Garbage move on SEGA's part, but I guess their mobile games have such a low amount of users/downloads that they really have to prey on the whales.

I'm done with their output. They don't localize anything, they can't be bothered to release the Sonic remakes on the Vita, and they put out Ryo (finally, a character people asked for) a year after release, on the most malicious, predatory version of the game. Screw 'em.

Might as well remind everyone that Dokuro, a fantastic Vita platform/puzzler is on iOS and Android for a dollar, without any bullshit.

Aren't you guys ready to embrace the mobile future, where it's totally acceptable to release a feature-complete game as microtransaction hell because it's "what we're used to" for the platform?

Draikin 2

I''m going to reiterate what I posted on the Sega forums earlier about how I think they can fix the IAP's:

1) Enable the "Free Races Forever" pack for everyone and remove it from the ingame store
2) Optional: readjust rings and star rewards accordingly (if they think it would breaks the ingame economy)

By doing that, I think people would no longer feel like they were tricked into buying an incomplete game.

The fact that you have to spend in game money to choose any of the difficulties means this is automatically bullshit, doubly so because you spent $5 for the privilege of getting told to spend more.

HUELEN10

I''m going to reiterate what I posted on the Sega forums earlier about how I think they can fix the IAP's:

1) Enable the "Free Races Forever" pack for everyone and remove it from the ingame store
2) Optional: readjust rings and star rewards accordingly (if they think it would breaks the ingame economy)

By doing that, I think people would no longer feel like they were tricked into buying an incomplete game.
You know, refund and all, I would love to want to buy this game again. seriously, I love ASRT, it's only the best wacky racing game in YEARS. If they'd go for what Draikin is proposing, and promise to get rid of the Facebook prompt every time as an option, and promise to never have ads, video or otherwise (the game right now doesn't have ads for the record), I'd bite again. I don't want another case of Sonic Dash to a game I love so dearly.

As horrid as the pay to play scheme is I bet this is still a better game than the 3DS version.

That is truly a horrid piece of shovel ware

Draikin 2

So are there ads or not?

getting mixed messages.
Except for the Facebook login popup there don't seem to be any nag screens. So it's nothing like Sonic Dash.

I'm actually curious what the deal is with the VIP pack. If everyone gets that pack from the start then it has no reason to exist. The fact that it's there, and it apparently has the same price as the game, makes me wonder if there was a last-minute change to the game where they turned it from a F2P to a P2P game. That could explain why the Free Races Forever pack feels out of place.

Except for the Facebook login popup there don't seem to be any nag screens. So it's nothing like Sonic Dash.

I'm actually curious what the deal is with the VIP pack. If everyone gets that pack from the start then it has no reason to exist. The fact that it's there, and it apparently has the same price as the game, makes me wonder if there was a last-minute change to the game where they turned it from a F2P to a P2P game. That could explain why the Free Races Forever pack feels out of place.
yeah, makes sense that a free version of this app will show up sooner or later.

sooo in short.

$5

gets you core game with everything unlockable without paying and cash is generous.

+$10 more

gets rid of the new currency and makes it pretty much like the other versions?

So this is really a $ 15. I am fine with it, but Sega should have priced it like that from the start.

S0L, I understand the game economic mechanics, but really this "free races forever" is a shame. As I said, I want this game for my 6-years old son (I already have the Vita version). He beated the last game in full, but do not want to worry about "starts" to play an already unlocked track, I want that he is able to play and replay each track as long as he wishes and not make a "plan" to unlock everything for free. Basically I want him to enjoy the game not worring about his performance. It is a shame for Sega/Sumo that enjoying the game is no longer the main goal of the game design (seriously I deleted that Angry Birds Go crap right after its download).

dream

FWIW, PocketGamer likes it a lot.

SAASRT is another game to incorporate in-app purchases, which isn't particularly surprising even if it is slightly dispiriting. Still, Sumo's fine sense of balance is again on display.

We spent several hours with the game without once feeling like we were being coerced into spending real cash. You can dive into the virtual storefront and unlock all of the characters ahead of time, or purchase stars or rings to buy items, enter events, or upgrade your kart, but the former is unnecessary and the latter can be achieved through general play.

We haven't reached the later events at the time of reviewing - this is one content-rich game - so there's a chance SAASRT could descend into a grind-heavy trudge for the frugal gamer. But we've played enough to say that this would represent a surprisingly dramatic tonal shift.

Indeed, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed seems to be the work of a developer that’s completely attuned to the iOS platform. Like the recent Ridge Racer Slipstream, it's a nigh-on essential arcade racer that wears its big-name console IP badge with pride.

Glorious PC Gamer
Today, 03:57 AM

Your complaints basically boil down to "it's not the PC version", which, well, no shit. It's perfectly playable at 30fps, and I strongly suspect every single console gamer on the planet is getting very tired of hearing absurd hyperbole about how their games aren't 1080p 60fps and therefore are utter trash.

30 fps is shit for a kart racer...

OT : wow I winced when I saw the pictures of the microtransaction and facebook stuff
so very depressing

sibarraz

Banned
When I was stuck in a track a message appeared saying "Why you not try Ulala" instead of "Buy some rings" Oddly enough, if I leave a race to restart it from zero I had to spend again the 1000 rings instead of the 500 from retrying so maybe it was a passive aggresive message lol

The game is good that being said, controls and graphics are great, nothing to say there, sega should had found a way to make an emphasis on releasing the game at $5 and $15 as two different versions, with one being upgredeable instead of what we got which obviously could piss a lot of people.

Kyonashi

If I bought this, roughly how long would it take me to unlock Ryo by playing the game, or how much does he cost with real money?

Gestault

I have similar feelings toward the assertion that this game represents the best of the genre as I do to the idea that an iOS port of the same game with the same tracks despite the change in control input would stay an acceptable way to play it.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Sorry, S0L, but this is gross.
I'm going to cheat here and repost a post I made over at the SEGA forums and SSMB...

1. You can get everything in the game through playing it and with in-game currency you earn through playing (with the exception of some early access to DLC content). You don't have to spend anything else unless you want too after buying the game.
Sure. Every F2P game does this. You can eventually earn everything, but there are always prompts asking you to spend money because "hey you can totally do this faster" or "how about a boost for this race" or something.

Except it's not a F2P game.

2. All players should start with the VIP pack (the guys who posted that video must have copied it from another device or haven't signed into the store). That includes GP mode, Multiplayer and 4 characters right from the start...
So if you don't have the VIP pack, you have to buy those separately? I'm not sure I understand.

3. You can buy an All-Star move in single player modes. But it's limited via a cooldown.
So, the All-Star moves which are, in the normal game, just something you run across like any other item, and are the most powerful item in the game, are now items you have to purchase?

4. You can get starting items via the tumbler to give you a boost at the start of a race, but guess what, entirely optional.
Sure. Except (as you've said below) you get more in-game currency from winning, so spending money to get a boost gives you a better chance in the race and therefore a better chance at getting in-game currency that you need to keep playing.

5. That FaceBook login stuff allows us to do proper leaderboards for all events in a way that you can't normally. It's actually pretty cool to have a leaderboard per event and per difficulty. It is also entirely optional.
Sure. That's fine.

With regards to the Race/Retry cost, each area of the game has a 'Free' Difficulty. This difficulty increases as you go through the game. You can earn Rings (and Stars) by playing any event, and you can in fact can play free events over and over to build up a stock on in-game currency. If you're any good at the game (which I'd hope you would be) good chance you'll race through the easier events in the earlier chapters and build up a stock.

For any event you play, you will always get more currency back than it costs if you succeed in beating the goal.
Right, so it's like other F2P games in that the early stuff is free or easy to get through, but once you actually like the game enough to get deep into it, it gets a lot harder to earn your way through.

The game gets harder and harder, and since doing an event is only monetarily sustainable if you win, the game is going to ask for more and more money as you go along.

It's quite similar to the SEGA miles in the original game basically. Or if you've played GT6, you'll have the right kind of idea.
Never played either.

I repeat, you never have to pay anything, everything can be accessed through play and by earning in-game currency. You can opt to shortcut this if you want to pay, but it's by no means compulsory.
Which is pretty standard for F2P games.

Except this isn't.

BTW, you can also earn in-game currency playing online, which is entirely free.
Against other people who may or may not be buying spins on the slot machine to get an advantage over you.

And I'm guessing winning online earns you more in-game currency than losing online, so the disadvantage against people who are getting powerups through the slots negatively impacts your ability to play events that require in-game currency, whether you partake in the "optional" stuff or not.

I know how (un)popular IAP's are, but we've tried to design this around them in a fair way, before you criticise too harshly, wait till some people have played it and seen what it's like. I think you may be pleasantly surprised. For a start, there are more game events in there than the console version and some things that have been requested (such as upgradable vehicles) have made it into the mobile versions.
IAPs are unpopular, but generally accepted for F2P games.

Charging $6.50 up front AND locking things away behind IAP currencies? Awful.

sibarraz

Banned
If I bought this, roughly how long would it take me to unlock Ryo by playing the game, or how much does he cost with real money?

I don't know, Ryo isn't a paid dlc, and the description said that you need to win a row of weekly challenges in order to unlock him, so maybe 3 more weeks if you manage to beat the challenges?

The only paid dlc that would had made sense was ryo, people would had paid for him, I still want to play with the outrun cabinet

the real problem with freemium/f2p crap is everyone makes it sooo complicated. You can have the most generous system around but how the fuck would i know without a spreadsheet and its not like you can really trust the developers on that point whom have their agendas :/

I would love some numbers here before i even think about dipping in this. Unless its a system i already have a grasp for like Infinity blade, I will always be hesitant of buying any game that has more than 1 currency.

Just curious, is there a reason why people is comparing this to Vita version?

I think it's not the same league. I can understand a comparison between mobile oses like android and iOS not with a proper handheld.

Fact is that Vita version is the same game you would play on last gen consoles, same content, same stuff (well with obvious adjustments but still). That compares to the atrocious almost-DS like version of the 3DS.

What I mean is that the handheld versions feel like a proper game.

I don't understand the comparisons. Obviously vita version is the best version.

iOS version is cool, well made, but in another league. That's all.

Just curious, is there a reason why people is comparing this to Vita version?

I think it's not the same league. I can understand a comparison between mobile oses like android and iOS not with a proper handheld.

Fact is that Vita version is the same game you would play on last gen consoles, same content, same stuff (well with obvious adjustments but still). That compares to the atrocious almost-DS like version of the 3DS.

What I mean is that the handheld versions feel like a proper game.

I don't understand the comparisons. Obviously vita version is the best version.

iOS version is cool, well made, but in another league. That's all.

wait what? You compare this with the vita and 3ds versions because... well they are all handheld versions of pretty much the same game?

Outside of weird business model stuff, core gameplay is the same, visuals are 'close'. Seems like all the features and what not are intact.

Gestault

wait what? You compare this with the vita and 3ds versions because... well they are all handheld versions of pretty much the same game?

Outside of weird business model stuff, core gameplay is the same, visuals are 'close'. Seems like all the features and what not are intact.

He might be saying that using tilt and touchscreen controls are not comparable for this style of game to the control inputs for a dedicated gaming handheld.

Another potentially good game crushed by sheer business lack of tact. The fact the dev is in here doing damage control makes it even funnier.

S0L

SUMO DIGITAL
Sorry, S0L, but this is gross.

Sure. Every F2P game does this. You can eventually earn everything, but there are always prompts asking you to spend money because "hey you can totally do this faster" or "how about a boost for this race" or something.

Except it's not a F2P game.

So if you don't have the VIP pack, you have to buy those separately? I'm not sure I understand.

So, the All-Star moves which are, in the normal game, just something you run across like any other item, and are the most powerful item in the game, are now items you have to purchase?

Sure. Except (as you've said below) you get more in-game currency from winning, so spending money to get a boost gives you a better chance in the race and therefore a better chance at getting in-game currency that you need to keep playing.

Sure. That's fine.

Right, so it's like other F2P games in that the early stuff is free or easy to get through, but once you actually like the game enough to get deep into it, it gets a lot harder to earn your way through.

The game gets harder and harder, and since doing an event is only monetarily sustainable if you win, the game is going to ask for more and more money as you go along.

Never played either.

Which is pretty standard for F2P games.

Except this isn't.

Against other people who may or may not be buying spins on the slot machine to get an advantage over you.

And I'm guessing winning online earns you more in-game currency than losing online, so the disadvantage against people who are getting powerups through the slots negatively impacts your ability to play events that require in-game currency, whether you partake in the "optional" stuff or not.

IAPs are unpopular, but generally accepted for F2P games.

Charging $6.50 up front AND locking things away behind IAP currencies? Awful.

That's got to be the hardest to quote post ever, but I'll try...

1. You can play the whole game without ever buying Rings or Stars. We do have to check this and it's entirely possible. I hate enforced IAP's, 'waiting for delivery' and fuel mechanics so all the way through I've fought against this. There are no pay walls as like everyone else, we understand how much players hate them.

We don't show ads or nags, in fact you can play the entire game without visiting the shop. Try that in Temperamental Avians...

2. Every one who buys the game gets the VIP pack. That nets you instant access to 4 characters, instant access to GP mode and multiplayer. If you don't have the VIP pack you've either not signed into the iTunes store when prompted or you've manually installed the app in some weird way. Even if you didn't, all the content can be unlocked via completing the 1st chapter of World Tour (for GP mode and Multiplayer) or by earning in-game currency for beating events.

3. You can buy All-Star moves in-race for Single Player modes only using in-game currency. Again, optional.

4. We do increase the difficulty of the 'Free' events as you go, but you can replay previously completed free events at any time to earn more currency if you are running low. Or play online, or do a Daily or Weekly Challenge. Or buy some more. You have multiple options.

We designed the game around gameplay and fairness. Yes you can spend money to buy all the characters rather than go and play through to earn them. If the cost of races bothers you, there is the option to remove that element too. But it can all be unlocked through normal play.

I want to be very clear about that, as we've been very clear through development that we didn't want to be putting in pay walls or making it 'pay to win' as frankly, we care very much about the game we just spent a year making, and we're by no means done with it yet either.

Another potentially good game crushed by sheer business lack of tact. The fact the dev is in here doing damage control makes it even funnier.

Well, I sort of feel I need to explain the choices made, as I said, it's taken a good year for the team to make this game on both platforms, so you know, you like to try and explain the reasoning behind the choices and assure people we're not out to gouge them!

---
S0L
---

Draikin 2

S0L, as always I appreciate you taking the time to discuss these things even when everyone's reaching for the pitchforks here. Few devs take the time to do so. That said, I think a lot of the confusion could have been avoided. Basically, if the game was actually free and you didn't give people the VIP pack by default, you'd have an actual F2P game. I think that situation would have been preferable to what we have now. When you charge money for the game and include the VIP pack for everyone, that's where things get confusing. When you have people feeling they were misled after buying the game, even getting a refund, I think it's clear something went wrong. Your answers above don't really address this issue. Yes, I'm sure the game was designed to be fair. But as what? A F2P game? Because that's obviously not what it is now.

I'm not sure what the reasoning was in releasing the game as a F2P/P2P hybrid, but I don't see the benefit in this. Sure, you have a lower price point so you get far more buyers than a 15$ price point would, but I doubt that's worth getting the reactions you're seeing here.

HUELEN10

That's got to be the hardest to quote post ever, but I'll try...

1. You can play the whole game without ever buying Rings or Stars. We do have to check this and it's entirely possible. I hate enforced IAP's, 'waiting for delivery' and fuel mechanics so all the way through I've fought against this. There are no pay walls as like everyone else, we understand how much players hate them.

We don't show ads or nags, in fact you can play the entire game without visiting the shop. Try that in Temperamental Avians...

2. Every one who buys the game gets the VIP pack. That nets you instant access to 4 characters, instant access to GP mode and multiplayer. If you don't have the VIP pack you've either not signed into the iTunes store when prompted or you've manually installed the app in some weird way. Even if you didn't, all the content can be unlocked via completing the 1st chapter of World Tour (for GP mode and Multiplayer) or by earning in-game currency for beating events.

3. You can buy All-Star moves in-race for Single Player modes only using in-game currency. Again, optional.

4. We do increase the difficulty of the 'Free' events as you go, but you can replay previously completed free events at any time to earn more currency if you are running low. Or play online, or do a Daily or Weekly Challenge. Or buy some more. You have multiple options.

We designed the game around gameplay and fairness. Yes you can spend money to buy all the characters rather than go and play through to earn them. If the cost of races bothers you, there is the option to remove that element too. But it can all be unlocked through normal play.

I want to be very clear about that, as we've been very clear through development that we didn't want to be putting in pay walls or making it 'pay to win' as frankly, we care very much about the game we just spent a year making, and we're by no means done with it yet either.

Well, I sort of feel I need to explain the choices made, as I said, it's taken a good year for the team to make this game on both platforms, so you know, you like to try and explain the reasoning behind the choices and assure people we're not out to gouge them!

---
S0L
---
I've bolded one of my concerns.

You say every player who buys the game gets the VIP pack, but the problem with this is 2-fold. First of all, the authentication method is messed up; for the hours I had the game (prior to refund mind you), it didn't work for me, even after re-installing the app from the App Store device-only and using a copy downloaded from my mac, and deleting/disabling/re-enabling iCloud saves, so it is in its current state a bit buggy (which is understandable at launch and can be remedied). The second concern is the big one.

If everyone who buys the game gets the VIP pack, then why in the wide wide world of sports is it even a thing? I mean, the VIP pack regularly costs money; the shots prove it. If it is free for all, why make it a free authentication unlock to begin with? Why bother even having it in the store? I am not saying this is the case in the least (I want to stress this, as I honestly can't say), but it seems to me that if the VIP exists the way it does, it is either free for a limited time, will signify the play to move to the free-to-play model (which, in turn may or may not mean ads, again not saying this is the case or will happen), or was meant to be free (as in, the whole game free-to-play) in the first place. It simply doesn't inspire confidence, especially after what happened with Sonic Dash. Even if you can unlock the stuff (as you said again here), it still doesn't sit well, at least to me.

Again, I am addressing my personal feelings and concerns and not making claims, and I wish to convey respect, respect for both yourself and the game. I love ASRT, but when it is being compared to other models such as Angry Birds or other mobile games, I can't help to think to myself "why"? Though not popular in number, games that feel like console games do exist on mobile devices, and (thankfully) a good number of these games treat the experience akin to their console/PC brethren instead of something that, to many, feels like what some would call "what's wrong with the mobile gaming scene".
S0L, as always I appreciate you taking the time to discuss these things even when everyone's reaching for the pitchforks here. Few devs take the time to do so. That said, I think a lot of the confusion could have been avoided. Basically, if the game was actually free and you didn't give people the VIP pack by default, you'd have an actual F2P game. I think that situation would have been preferable to what we have now. When you charge money for the game and include the VIP pack for everyone, that's where things get confusing. When you have people feeling they were misled after buying the game, even getting a refund, I think it's clear something went wrong. Your answers above don't really address this issue. Yes, I'm sure the game was designed to be fair. But as what? A F2P game? Because that's obviously not what it is now.

I'm not sure what the reasoning was in releasing the game as a F2P/P2P hybrid, but I don't see the benefit in this. Sure, you have a lower price point so you get far more buyers than a 15$ price point would, but I doubt that's worth getting the reactions you're seeing here.
Nailed it. I would have happily bought a full game at 7. 10, or even 15 USD; I really do feel misled, especially since the unlock is buggy. Not only that, but the description on the store makes no mention of it (while there are plenty of apps that do an authentication unlock that tell you about it on the description and in the app if you missed it the first time around). I feel that, at the very least, the game's description needs a rewrite. I honestly did feel misled.
J1Vsh7l.png

Top Bottom