• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic and all stars racing transformed is out on ios

S0L

SUMO DIGITAL
Well the VIP pack is given to everyone who buys the game. If there is a verification issue (as it can't verify the receipt) then it doesn't give this. It's a fall back as a security issue.

We still provide the means to unlock content the VIP pack would give. This should only ever trigger if the store receipt cant be verified, but as I say, if you've installed it from iTunes or via the App Store, all players should get this.

If you're requested to pop your iTunes account details in when the game is launched, then if you do this, you should get the VIP pack accordingly.

If there is a bug here, we'll update the App accordingly. It's not mentioned on the store page as it should 'just work'. If not, then we'll dig into this.

---
S0L
---

Guess Who

Banned
A racing game at 30fps stinks and is indefensible. Please don't defend it just because you're tired of PC elitism (although quite frankly I really don't see anything "elitist" in his post aside from his name).

I will defend it because I have both the PC version (which runs at a solid 60fps on my machine) and the Vita version and I was not at all bothered by the Vita's lower framerate. It is by absolutely no means utter trash and anyone who says this either has absurd standards or a terrible knack for hyperbole.

Neat! Vita looks better from the video but frame rate looks much better on ios.

Can't pass this up, don't matter what version it is...(except 3DS version, which sucks!) :p

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Well the VIP pack is given to everyone who buys the game. If there is a verification issue (as it can't verify the receipt) then it doesn't give this. It's a fall back as a security issue.

We still provide the means to unlock content the VIP pack would give. This should only ever trigger if the store receipt cant be verified, but as I say, if you've installed it from iTunes or via the App Store, all players should get this.

If you're requested to pop your iTunes account details in when the game is launched, then if you do this, you should get the VIP pack accordingly.

If there is a bug here, we'll update the App accordingly. It's not mentioned on the store page as it should 'just work'. If not, then we'll dig into this.

---
S0L
---

Wait a minute, though.

If the VIP pack is for everyone who buys the game, why is it a separate "thing" that has to be authenticated in the first place? I don't get it.

HUELEN10

I think there is definitely a bug. Don't know is this helps at all, but here is a shot of the version downloaded from my computer, as well as the size. Seems to be in order.
1DRKIxf.png
Same thing happened with downloading directly from the device mind you, even after entering iTunes credentials. What I don't get is the need for verification; my purchase is already verified with Apple, hence letting me download the game in exchange for money the first place. If that's been paid for and done, then why does it need a second verification?

EDIT: Yep, Htown nailed it. I think what people wanna know is if it's for everyone, why even have it for sale as an option, and why the verification in the first place.

S0L

SUMO DIGITAL
I think there is definitely a bug. Don't know is this helps at all, but here is a shot of the version downloaded from my computer, as well as the size. Seems to be in order.

Same thing happened with downloading directly from the device mind you, even after entering iTunes credentials. What I don't get is the need for verification; my purchase is already verified with Apple, hence letting me download the game in exchange for money the first place. If that's been paid for and done, then why does it need a second verification?

EDIT: Yep, Htown nailed it. I think what people wanna know is if it's for everyone, why even have it for sale as an option, and why the verification in the first place.

We're using the iOS7 receipt verification which is as new to us as most devs. It checks the receipt on boot, which then determines which content you've bought.

Bear in mind we've tried to build this to be flexible so we can add new content to the game over time. As I said, this is the start of the mobile versions, we've got plans from here to update and improve.

For example if we find players are getting stuck on certain events, we can selectively tweak difficulty, event rules and more. For the better I hasten to add.

End of the day we actually want people to enjoy the game you know!

---
S0L
---

2. Every one who buys the game gets the VIP pack. That nets you instant access to 4 characters, instant access to GP mode and multiplayer. If you don't have the VIP pack you've either not signed into the iTunes store when prompted or you've manually installed the app in some weird way. Even if you didn't, all the content can be unlocked via completing the 1st chapter of World Tour (for GP mode and Multiplayer) or by earning in-game currency for beating events.

I'm wondering if this is the issue, and that a lot of complaints are coming from people who didn't actually purchase the game.

HUELEN10

I'm wondering if this is the issue, and that a lot of complaints are coming from people who didn't actually purchase the game.
Nah, it just seems to be a glitch. It clearly didn't authenticate with my legit paid copy, even before I went through my refund with Apple. Odd that they treated it as an "Accidental download" case, but I'm not gonna argue with them. As S0L said, these verification receipts are something devs need to get used to, it's an understandable occurrence.

S0L, another question regarding the VIP pack authentication: I usually makes my purchases in one itunes account, install on the phone, and switch to another itunes account in the phone (I let my son play in a different account from the one I have purchased the game, so that account has no billing information and cannot make additional purchases).

Will the VIP pack be available for this second account in the same phone?

jim2011

I get the ios7 receipt check and the reason for VIP not being automatically included in the app itself. Seems like a smart idea (if it works) to counter piracy.

I gave my $15 and couldn't be happier. Really everyone should just do that if you're concerned. It's a great game and well worth it.

darylbaxter

Neo Member
If it's any consolation, £2.99 for a game like this is great, a steal almost.
Plus having the option of actually working for the new characters instead of just giving the sole, IAP option, like other games i've seen, are much appreciated.

It's a fun game. I've played the demo on my Vita, it worked great, and even though I was hesitant with the touch controls, they also work a treat on my iPhone.

So I look forward to whatever comes next.

*cough* Sonic 3 *cough*

Gestault

We're using the iOS7 receipt verification which is as new to us as most devs. It checks the receipt on boot, which then determines which content you've bought.

Bear in mind we've tried to build this to be flexible so we can add new content to the game over time. As I said, this is the start of the mobile versions, we've got plans from here to update and improve.

For example if we find players are getting stuck on certain events, we can selectively tweak difficulty, event rules and more. For the better I hasten to add.

End of the day we actually want people to enjoy the game you know!

---
S0L
---

Would you be able to explain why there is a separate "purchase" (in App Store logic) and file to download for the VIP pack if it's designed to be an integral part of every purchase?

This reminds me of Sonic Dash. I have the android version and it's ridden with ads and micro transactions. Best Sonic game in years so I'll bite.

Camjo-Z

lol have you tried delete process and restart? thats some wacky stuff ;)

does it run well in this 'mode'?

Yep, I even tried uninstalling and redownloading it and nothing changed unfortunately. And no, it doesn't run well. Slowdown abound and the game thinks my screen is larger than it actually is so the pause button is out of reach during a race. The worst part is the 1.9 out of 5 rating it has on the store so far suggests I'm not the only one having these problems.

EDIT: holy shit this thing somehow managed to make my phone reset itself

CronoShot

So after buying the game for $5 (already a premium price for a mobile game) I have to pay twice the amount of the game itself...for a retry button?

Post-15337-Christian-Bale-confused-gif-Hje6.gif

So after buying the game for $5 (already a premium price for a mobile game) I have to pay twice the amount of the game itself...for a retry button?

Post-15337-Christian-Bale-confused-gif-Hje6.gif

still cheaper than other versions from a quick amazon search (well its free on ps+ for vita, but then you needa buy a vita).

On that note, is this version feature parity with other versions? All the tracks and characters in?

Korezo

Do the pics from the ios store represent what the game actually looks like? Because that's some pc quality screens.

RM8

I guess I'm buying this a 3rd time. And a 4th one when I eventually get a WiiU. So, does this version have all the characters?

EDIT: Bought on Android, during gameplay the UI doesn't fit the screen (I can only see a small part of the pause button and position number). Refund :( Also, I wish touch controls had the option for mapping left and right to the sides of the screen, like with Asphalt games.

heringer

I bought this and I like it. Visually it's between Vita and 3DS version, but with much smoother framerate. I always thought the Vita version was a little sluggish, even if very pretty, so a better framerate is a fair trade-off I think.

Content wise it's lighter, with only 15 characters to play with, but I think the number of tracks is almost the same.

Overall it's a fantastic port of the game for a great price. You don't really need IAP by the way.

sibarraz

Banned
Well 14 more days until we could play with Ryo.

The game is fine, for the moment I had played in 8 tracks, and the all star bullshit isnt in the multiplayer so thats great. Still had this feeling than later in the game the Iap could be annoying if I Want to unlock everything.

I hate the upgrades that the cars get though since you need to spend lots of rings to get a better car per character

Pics incoming! You're not gonna like it.

http://i.imgur.com/xHRudCO.jpg

Yep

Unfucking believable.. The game only costs 20 dollars on PC and is routinely on sale for 5 dollars, the price of one pack of those rings in the iOS version.

What the hell is wrong with this industry.. THIS is why I can't and don't take mobile gaming seriously... more than that, I despise it. Here's why.

Shame on you Sumo, though I'm sure your hands are tied in the matter.

I urge all of you who bought this shit to get a refund. If you want to support a good game, buy the PC version AGAIN. Buy it for friends. Great game, no bullshit.

Why would they think people want to mess with that stuff? Why would they ever think that someone would want to take the game they play at home on PC or on consoles and turn it into a infinitely more expensive money grubbing crap fest? "Gee, wouldn't it be great if they took they game I love, limited the content and my access to it, and then charged me for it, while I play games on my phone on the go"

Honestly this makes me less inclined to support future games from SEGA, and this developer, no matter what platform they're on.. Really buzzkilling my desire for that Ryo Hazuki content which'll be on PC sooner rather than later.

Unfucking believable.. The game only costs 20 dollars on PC and is routinely on sale for 5 dollars, the price of one pack of those rings in the iOS version.

What the hell is wrong with this industry.. THIS is why I can't and don't take mobile gaming seriously... more than that, I despise it. Here's why.

I urge all of you who bought this shit to get a refund. If you want to support a good game, buy the PC version AGAIN. Buy it for friends. Great game, no bullshit.

Why would they think people want to mess with that stuff? Why would they ever think that someone would want to take the game they play at home on PC or on consoles and turn it into a infinitely more expensive money grubbing crap fest? "Gee, wouldn't it be great if they took they game I love, limited the content and my access to it, and then charged me for it, while I play games on my phone on the go"

Honestly this makes me less inclined to support future games from SEGA, and this developer, no matter what platform they're on.. Really buzzkilling my desire for that Ryo Hazuki content which'll be on PC sooner rather than later.

Would you rather have Sega go broke? We lost too many studios last generation, you either adapt or die.

Would you rather have Sega go broke? We lost too many studios last generation, you either adapt or die.

Why would they go broke?

Games haven't been sold in this way until the iphone existed.. Publishers managed for decades before this.

Don't be fooled friend.. This isn't something that must happen.

heringer

Have you even played the game? The IAPs aren't mandatory at all.

inky

This image is 'mobile gaming' in a nutshell.

Soon to be "_________ gaming" in a nutshell.

Disgusting.

Wait a minute, though.

If the VIP pack is for everyone who buys the game, why is it a separate "thing" that has to be authenticated in the first place? I don't get it.

My guess is, they plan to move to a completely F2P scheme, which is supported by the rest of the game and features in the store. Basically the: we'll get the initial fee from as many people as we can before transitioning to a completely F2P version when the sales slow down other games (like MMOs) keep doing right now.

This is why I don't like the mobile industry right now. So many games are extremely cheap, only around $5, but the vast majority of those games also have so many annoying micro transactions and F2P style upgrades.

I'll be interested in the mobile industry when developers are allowed to release a game for at least $20 without all the bullshit. I just want to have 100% of the games content without repetitive grinding or without having to pay to get the rest.

heringer

Yes but pretty immense grinding is required to get far.
Not as bad as Angry Birds Go, Real Racing 3 or GT Racing 2, but still.

What? I'm sorry but that's simply not true at all. I haven't had to grind at all and the flow is pretty fair to me. To each their own I guess.

DonMigs85

What? I'm sorry but that's simply not true at all. I haven't had to grind at all and the flow is pretty fair to me. To each their own I guess.

you don't feel it immediately... Even in Angry Birds Go it doesn't really hit you until you reach King Pig.

heringer

you don't feel it immediately... Even in Angry Birds Go it doesn't really hit you until you reach King Pig.

I've played for quite a few hours and so far so good. Unless things changes dramatically I don't see immense amount of grinding. How far are you in the game and what exactly is preventing you from advancing without a lot of grinding?

sibarraz

Banned
Im about to finísh world tour with all the stars and never had to pay anything i could upgrade 3 chars to the top without grinding

Izuna

Banned
I am so disappointed with the unearned hate Sumo is getting for this game. Yes, this game is hard but it is made easier for iOS.

You get 10 of the stars when you sign into facebook and it costs just one to play a World Tour event which gives you 4 if you win. You can also play online to get a massive abundance of rings. Honestly, I don't see why anyone would pay for anything in this game except for playing the extra characters. Considering the game is so cheap it isn't that much of an issue.

It is a bit too easy after finishing everything in the Vita version though. I bought it from Steam and have it on Xbox, and honestly, this iOS version is pretty good.

aznpxdd

Anyone know where to see some good screenshots of this game on iPad Air? I want to see how some of the later stages look, there seems to be very limited amount of screens floating around...

Top Bottom