• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania (8-15-2017, SEGA/Taxman/Headcannon/PagodaWest, PS4/XB1/PC/NX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Requeim

I've always preferred the Sonic 1/CD Sonic sprite over the Sonic 3, so I'm glad they're going with that as the base and adding a bunch of new animations to it. It look so beautiful now. Can't wait to see Tails and Knuckles in action.

S3&K Sonic looks so fucking stupid, I will never understand why people like that design over the original one. It's probably my single least favorite thing about that game, so I'm with you on this one.

If Chemical Plant isn't the Sonic 2 stage I'll be sad. I'm happy to see Sonic 3 and &Knuckles both getting representation. I'm kinda worried about the remastered to new stage ratio, I'm hoping for more original stages. Still holding out that if this does good, then they may fund a completely original Sonic in this style
it really sucks they used the Sonic 4 name already.

I am still incredibly excited for this.

tumblr_oatty8JKt31rtr7mwo1_1280.png

I went ahead and made a mockup box myself. Shame there's so little artwork of Classic Knuckles that fits, ah well.
(Before someone asks, the odd quotes at the bottom were a staple of old JP Sonic boxes)

ffdgh

If Chemical Plant isn't the Sonic 2 stage I'll be sad. I'm happy to see Sonic 3 and &Knuckles both getting representation. I'm kinda worried about the remastered to new stage ratio, I'm hoping for more original stages. Still holding out that if this does good, then they may fund a completely original Sonic in this style

Chemical plant had it's love in generations...tho I wouldn't mind it. Gimmie Oil ocean, mystic cave, or hidden palace zone.

batfax

Chemical Plant got into Generations, so I'd kind of prefer something different. Especially since we're already starting with Green Hill Zone. Aquatic Ruin, Oil Ocean, and Wing Fortress are some really memorable Sonic 2 zones I wouldn't mind revisiting and it'd give a chance for Scratch or Grounder to appear too.

I feel like 2 stages per game and 10 original ones would be a good way to divide up the levels, although that might be a bit much with the level count being 20.

dlauv

Sonic 3D Blast Saturn had the best special stages. I wouldn't want any of the Genesis special stages to be included. Maybe something like Knuckles Chaotix with the primitive 3D environments. Or CD.

I'm hoping they make completely new special stages for the new levels. I'd prefer if you needed to seek them out ala Sonic 3, personally. Sonic's physics cater greatly to exploration more than most platformers and I'd like that to be emphasized here as much as possible!

Something Mode 7 inspired would be awesome. I loved CD's Special Stages, btw. I think Sonic 2's are massively overrated and overused.

Blueblur1

Sonic 2's special stages are the only fun ones, IMO. Sonic 1's are boring and tedious as are the Sonic 3's special stages.

I wouldn't mind Sonic CD's special stages. Those are neat and fun to play.

Screw you guys ;-; I mean I really did like CPZ in Generations but I would still like to see it back again and remastered.

What kind of Special stage you guys would like to see on Mania?

2060220-sonic_bonus_stage.jpg

latest

sonic-and-knuckles-08.png

I actually like Sonic 1's the best. But I wouldn't mind if they tried something completely new.

Kintor

Banned
I'd be happy to see any of the classic special stages reimagined. Still, if I had to pick one now, I'd choose S3&K's special stages. Just because Sonic 1 and Sonic 2's special stages have already been remade before.

RagnarokX

2060220-sonic_bonus_stage.jpg

latest

sonic-and-knuckles-08.png

SCD_special.png

maxresdefault.jpg
None of those, obviously! They should use the best special stage ever from Sonic Advance 2!

HappyIllegalAltiplanochinchillamouse-size_restricted.gif

WORST SPECIAL STAGES EVER! You want to unlock Amy as a playable character? You gotta collect all 7 chaos emeralds with Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, AND Cream. You gotta do each special stage 4 times.

None of those, obviously! They should use the best special stage ever from Sonic Advance 2!

WORST SPECIAL STAGES EVER! You want to unlock Amy as a playable character? You gotta collect all 7 chaos emeralds with Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, AND Cream. You gotta do each special stage 4 times.

You wanna know what the worst special stages are.... The ones from Sonic Lost World on the 3DS

lostworld5.jpg

You have to control Sonic with the 3DS gyroscope and it so awkward to control because you have to move around with the 3DS or Sonic goes flying off where you don't want him to be. There's no way you could play these stages on the go because you'll end up hitting someone while you move your 3DS around! And I thought those special stages were bad and even Heroes was better but this... Oh god

SoulUnison

Banned
Chemical plant had it's love in generations...tho I wouldn't mind it. Gimmie Oil ocean, mystic cave, or hidden palace zone.

I bet they mix in a bunch of Hidden Palace Zone for the instant "insider" nostalgia points and the fact they already polished and created assets for Sonic 2 mobile.

Camjo-Z

The only stage I absolutely NEED remastered is Hydrocity Zone. If they ever do some DLC, I'd love to see some remade zones from Knuckles' Chaotix as well... but let's not get ahead of ourselves!

If Chemical Plant isn't the Sonic 2 stage I'll be sad.

Even though it was already remade in Generations, I'd be surprised if they didn't use Chemical Plant as it's easily the most iconic zone from that game.

None of those please. Sonic 1's special stage was just annoying, Sonic CD's looks cool but feels limited by the fake 3D, Sonic 2's half pipe is overused, and Blue Sphere has literally millions of permutations for anyone dying to play more of that. Chaotix's would be cool to revisit, but I also wouldn't mind seeing them do a new type of special stage entirely.

Because each game changed up the sprite slightly, and they don't have the extra animations for Sonic 3's sprites, so, instead of shoehorning in extra frames to the old sprite sheets, go full out with new sprites.

awww. i understand. It's too bad we can't have a choice but i understand how much work that would be.

RK128

Regarding remastered or remixed stages I think we will get these hopefully :). Will be listing 4 zones one from each Classic game (not counting Green Hill, already announced).

Sonic 2: Chemical Plant or Hidden Palace
Sonic 3: Hydrocity
Sonic & Knuckles: Flying Battery or Lava Reef
Sonic CD: Quartz Quadrent or Stardust Speedway

I would to see a remixed Flying Battery and Hydrocity personally :).

TreIII

I went ahead and made a mockup box myself. Shame there's so little artwork of Classic Knuckles that fits, ah well.
(Before someone asks, the odd quotes at the bottom were a staple of old JP Sonic boxes)

Nicely done!

And to Taxman...I know you're likely hearing this quite a bit over the last few days. But...thank you so much for everything you doing with this game. Simply put, the Sonic game I've been waiting 20+ years to play!

Opa-Pa

Bonus stages, huh. I think they're the only thing I've never liked in any Sonic game, they always felt like weird tech demos and locking Super Sonic and true final bosses behind them was the worst. I think the only ones I tolerate are CD's and maybe blue sphere, but the latter gets annoying in the last emeralds.

They're the reason I never finished Heroes completely too. I hope that if they're included in Mania they do them right for once or at least don't make them mandatory to finish the game.

Also all this talk about Knuckles being included with his Sonic 3 sprite theories are so weird. Like the game seems to be nailing everything Sega hasn't for classic games in years and somehow you think they're gonna screw up something so obvious? Of course they're gonna make him new sprites lol.

Bonus stages, huh. I think they're the only thing I've never liked in any Sonic game, they always felt like weird tech demos and locking Super Sonic and true final bosses behind them was the worst. I think the only ones I tolerate are CD's and maybe blue sphere, but the latter gets annoying in the last emeralds.

They're the reason I never finished Heroes completely too. I hope that if they're included in Mania they do them right for once or at least don't make them mandatory to finish the game.

i agree about the special stages. sonic 2's were ok.

i would prefer if the emeralds were just SUPER HIDDEN in each stage instead

Special Stages usually kinda suck, but when done properly I feel like they act as nice way to add some variety to a playthrough. Sonic CD and Sonic 3 are probably my favorites.

I think S/T/K is the right way to go for this game. To be honest, just Sonic and Tails would be fine.

If this becomes a series, I think it'd be cool to explore stuff like putting Amy in future games. And online co-op!

re: special stages. It's weird, apart from Sonic 1 they were always these weird experimental "what if Sonic was in 3D?!" minigames. Obviously we have had lots of speculation on that front in the past 20 years. So... maybe something completely different?

ffdgh

I like advance 2 special stages. Easiest and fastest way to get rings for the chao gardens in sonic adventure 1 and 2 dx/battle.

Tring to find those 7 special rings scattered around the zones on the other hand...

The slightly warped quotes are one of my favorite parts of the Japanese Sonic boxart. I'm very glad you came up with a suitable one.

Don't let the sun laugh at you.

SoulUnison

Banned
Regarding remastered or remixed stages I think we will get these hopefully :). Will be listing 4 zones one from each Classic game (not counting Green Hill, already announced).

Sonic 2: Chemical Plant or Hidden Palace
Sonic 3: Hydrocity
Sonic & Knuckles: Flying Battery or Lava Reef
Sonic CD: Quartz Quadrent or Stardust Speedway

I would to see a remixed Flying Battery and Hydrocity personally :).

Everybody's approaching this like it's going to be like Sonic Generations but in the Retro Engine.
Based on the way we've seen Emerald Hill's "corkscrews" in Green Hill Zone, it's going to be a mash-up of "themes" rather than remixes of straight single levels.

For instance, we might see Flying Battery with elements of Wing Fortress and a little Sky Sanctuary mixed in as it "flies through."
Hidden Palace (Sonic 2 Beta) stirred together with Lava Reef.
Scrap Brain meets Metallic Madness. That sort of thing.

RK128

Everybody's approaching this like it's going to be like Sonic Generations but in the Retro Engine.
Based on the way we've seen Emerald Hill's "corkscrews" in Green Hill Zone, it's going to be a mash-up of "themes" rather than remixes of straight single levels.

For instance, we might see Flying Battery with elements of Wing Fortress and a little Sky Sanctuary mixed in as it "flies through."

.....That is a very, very good point. Looking forward to seeing more Classic remixes in action if this idea is really pushed far :D.

Sciz

Generations itself is the precedent for GHZ murdering the pretender in cold blood nicking the EHZ corkscrew.

dlauv

I'm not thrilled at the reuse of previous environments/gimmicks and I'm worried they've blown their load on Studiopolis so that any other new stages will be less thoughtful.

Those are faint nitpicks tho. Green Hill Zone's new design looks incredibly legit and inspired even.

RagnarokX

You know what would be a cool idea for a Sonic level for this? A ship graveyard of sorts made up of the wreckages of the various air bases Robotnik used in the Genesis games. So it would be Wing Fortress mixed with Flying Battery with maybe some Death Egg

Tailzo

Those are interesting remixed, and might feel like completely new levels :)

I'm not thrilled at the reuse of previous environments/gimmicks and I'm worried they've blown their load on Studiopolis so that any other new stages will be less thoughtful.
I'm more concerned at the total amount of new stages than the quality of them. The footage of both GHZ and Studiopolis look awesome both artistically and gameplay-wise. If they can replicate that same magic and give us, say, 20 total levels both old and new, that would be amazing.

Holy shit, these guys really get it

Allow me to introduce to you the Youtube channel of the musician behind Sonic Mania, then

https://www.youtube.com/user/teezord/videos

He's done quite a few renditions of Classic Sonic songs, and was even tapped at one point to do the soundtrack to Sonic 2 HD

Knuckles Chaotix - Door in to Summer
Sonic 2 HD - Emerald Hill Zone
Sonic 2 HD - Aquatic Ruin Zone
Sonic 3 - Data Select
Sonic 3 - Ice Cap Zone
Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis) - Green Grove Zone

He even made Sonic 4's music sound incredible: Splash Hill Zone

RK128

Allow me to introduce to you the Youtube channel of the musician behind Sonic Mania, then

https://www.youtube.com/user/teezord/videos

He's done quite a few renditions of Classic Sonic songs, and was even tapped at one point to do the soundtrack to Sonic 2 HD

Knuckles Chaotix - Door in to Summer
Sonic 2 HD - Emerald Hill Zone
Sonic 2 HD - Aquatic Ruin Zone
Sonic 3 - Data Select
Sonic 3 - Ice Cap Zone
Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis) - Green Grove Zone

He even made Sonic 4's music sound incredible: Splash Hill Zone

Thank you for posting this!

I love Tee Loops work and its fantastic that after years of working with the series on fan projects and personal work, he is making an official Sonic Soundtrack. He must be so happy to be working on Mania :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom