• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania (8-15-2017, SEGA/Taxman/Headcannon/PagodaWest, PS4/XB1/PC/NX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RagnarokX

Allow me to introduce to you the Youtube channel of the musician behind Sonic Mania, then

https://www.youtube.com/user/teezord/videos

He's done quite a few renditions of Classic Sonic songs, and was even tapped at one point to do the soundtrack to Sonic 2 HD

Knuckles Chaotix - Door in to Summer
Sonic 2 HD - Emerald Hill Zone
Sonic 2 HD - Aquatic Ruin Zone
Sonic 3 - Data Select
Sonic 3 - Ice Cap Zone
Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis) - Green Grove Zone

He even made Sonic 4's music sound incredible: Splash Hill Zone

He does good work. I was just listening to his version of Hill Top Zone,though, and while it sounds great it misses the tone the original had, turning it from a folk/bluegrass tune with a harmonica into a jazz remix that doesn't really match the level.

The music for Studiopolis is really good.

RomanceDawn

That Ice Cap remix is on point! I've seen so many people complain how the fan projects get the physics, look and sound of the classic games so much more than SEGA's 2D offerings that I guess even SEGA was like ef it, just hire these guys!

Maedhros

Great to see more people wanting Amy in this. She should be a secret or DLC character, seriously. Please, consider it Taxman and co.

Quick question, going off some of the earlier talk, was it confirmed each original game (Sonic/2/3/Knuckles/CD) was going to get a remix zone?

If so personally I'd want:
Mystic Cave mixed with CD's Quartz Quadrant
Hydrocity mixed with Marbel Garden
Flying Battery mixed with Sky Sanctuary
Metallic Madness mixed with Wacky Workbench (evil I know)

clav

He does good work. I was just listening to his version of Hill Top Zone,though, and while it sounds great it misses the tone the original had, turning it from a folk/bluegrass tune with a harmonica into a jazz remix that doesn't really match the level.

The music for Studiopolis is really good.

Harmonica is typically associated with slow moving pieces which are usually sad.

I think the sax choice makes more sense due to its upbeat nature. People usually don't play the harmonica that quickly.

edit: After hearing the original CD track, that tempo makes more sense for the harmonica instrument although the slower speed makes the song sound sluggish.

RagnarokX

Quick question, going off some of the earlier talk, was it confirmed each original game (Sonic/2/3/Knuckles/CD) was going to get a remix zone?

If so personally I'd want:
Mystic Cave mixed with CD's Quartz Quadrant
Hydrocity mixed with Marbel Garden
Flying Battery mixed with Sky Sanctuary
Metallic Madness mixed with Wacky Workbench (evil I know)

Taxman was here earlier and confirmed we'd see content from both Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles.

I think it would be cool to mix Wing Fortress, Flying Battery, and Sonic 3 Death Egg. Have it be the wreckages crashed in the ocean with underwater parts or in a jungle with vines hanging that you can swing on/climb. I heard this really good remix of Sonic 2's boss theme that I haven't been able to find in forever. It was sombre, like a remembrance of Robotnik's failed glory. Always made me think it would be a great track for a level set in the ruins of his air bases.

Falk

that puzzling face
That one got it wrong, too :p

It should be a harmonica, not a sax. And a banjo, not a guitar. Jazz doesn't fit the level at all.

Historically, big band has been tied to mountain levels for Sonic.

Sweet Mountain, Red Mountain, etc.

rocky ride

SoulUnison

Banned
Haha, what is "Sonic Mania" is an in-universe game show @ Studiopolis Sonic's trapped in and the "classic zone remixes" are the place rearranging Danger Room style with holographic skins?

I'm drunk.

RagnarokX

Harmonica is typically associated with slow moving pieces which are usually sad.

I think the sax choice makes more sense due to its upbeat nature. People don't play the harmonica that quickly.

That's not true. You can make songs happy/sad by changing the tempo. If you play a sax slow you get a sad song. Harmonica is associated with blues, folk music, jazz, country, and rock.

https://youtu.be/rE3Oin1GqKk?t=30s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lpidrIN3NI
https://youtu.be/gckGhM7GmWM?t=50s

Historically, big band has been tied to mountain levels for Sonic.

Sweet Mountain, Red Mountain, etc.

rocky ride

Hill Top has a very hillbilly vibe to it, though. The main instrument sounds very much like a harmonica and the level is a grassy hill above the clouds. It's kind of a laid back level apart from the earthquakes.

Sweet Mountain is more of a level about donuts and sweets and rollercoasters. I think the "mountain" part is just a reference to Space Mountain, since neither involves actual mountains. The music makes me think of a candy wonderland. Red Mountain has more of an extreme volcano vibe going for it, and the music needs to be faster and more intense because the mission for that level is chasing the egg carrier.

Controversial but I think Sonic 4's Oil Desert or White Park have enough concepts which if redone in Mania's physics and CD influenced visuals/sound could be neat. Plus if nothing else, Episode 2's new badnik designs were overall pretty good.

Imma need some Knuckles Chaotix in this game. Maybe Marina Madness would be fun mixed in with Hydrocity?
It'd be hilarious if a Chaotix-themed stage in Mania forces the ring band mechanics on you for that zone alone. I imagine Taxman would work out a way to make that a halfway decent mechanic at least.

Toparaman

Banned
The trailer is edited so well with the music. Watched it multiple times now, and I'm not even particularly looking forward to this game.

plufim

I'm hoping we get one or two levels from the Sonic Advance series. And heck, something from the master system games reimagined.

Was always disappointed Generations had nothing from the master system/game gear/GBA/DS games.

Mr Swine

Banned
am I the only one that wished that Sonic Mania had Sonic 3 Sprite instead of the Sonic CD Sprite? Also I really don't like his running animation nor his jump animation (where he spins around).

SOR5

I'm hoping we get one or two levels from the Sonic Advance series. And heck, something from the master system games reimagined.

Was always disappointed Generations had nothing from the master system/game gear/GBA/DS games.

I'd love to see Sunset Hill Zone, it was basically Green Hill but cooler and thats okay

Rlan

So I'm super keen on it. Watched the trailer and some footage a bunch of times. Love Studiopolis, just full of little unique things.

Main consern right now is how much it gets "nostalgic" for nostalgia sakes. The Green Hill remix level is cool - looks like a whole new level is built on top of the old one, but a new Sonic game doesn't need to revisit anything ever again. It should be all new.

Sure, keep the trope of a Green hills style level, but I'm hoping the "classic" levels are just extra unlockable stuff and not part of the "core" set.

I don't want to see anything from the rush games, as their level design sucked. They'd basically have to make levels from scratch. Can't remember the Advance levels that well now, but Master System levels would be cool.

However since we're almost certainly getting an act from 2, 3, &K and CD, I'd prefer we didn't as I can't see us getting more then 10 zones, and I'd prefer as many 100% new ones as possible.

I'm interested in how different the remix levels will be. I imagine GHZ A1 in mania has so many original GHZ A1/A2 elements mostly because it's the first level. I'm hoping just the level aesthetic themes and a couple of original gimmicks carry over for the rest of the remix levels, with the vast majority of the remix stages still being entirely newly devised level design.

Bioshocker

What kind of Special stage you guys would like to see on Mania?

2060220-sonic_bonus_stage.jpg

latest

sonic-and-knuckles-08.png

SCD_special.png

maxresdefault.jpg

I liked the labyrinth from the first Sonic, but I absolutely love the blue spheres from Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Ash735

am I the only one that wished that Sonic Mania had Sonic 3 Sprite instead of the Sonic CD Sprite? Also I really don't like his running animation nor his jump animation (where he spins around).
It's NOT using the Sonic 1/CD sprite, it's using a redrawn sprite sheet with additional animations based on the Sonic CD sprites (since that had the most animations in the classic games). Tails and Knuckles will also be redrawn with additional animations as well.
So we're back to 16 bit Sonic? Why? Why not use a modern finish?
Why not? People wanted a proper Classic Sonic game, and this game only has around 10 people working in it, easier to do sprite work than it is to do full blown HD vector art.

There's always complaints about the graphics when a retro style game comes out... I remember people complaining about A Link Between Worlds' graphics because they didn't use sprites despite the game being made with 3D in mind. Now, the same thing is happening here despite the game being made with 2D in mind.

Have some faith in the developer's vision!

Aki-at

So we're back to 16 bit Sonic? Why? Why not use a modern finish?

Because I imagine SEGA feels the ROI on a project costing a few hundreds of thousands of dollars is better than spending a few millions of dollars since the vast majority of people who this is targeted to probably prefer this aesthetics.

I would have appreciate a better budget from SEGA but I'm admittedly in a minority and people love this look so the company made the right call.

The Sonic 3 sprite is ugly as hell. Only decent thing to come from it was the Super Sonic sprite.

RowdyReverb

I've been thinking of giving Sonic 4 a try just so I can understand some of the consternation. I heard episode 2 is a little better than 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom