• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania - Pre-Order Trailer (out August 15th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gin-Shiio

CD-like special stages would be a nightmare for me. It is the only Sonic game where I failed to collect all emeralds (Advance 2 and 3 aside). Hell, I never even was able to get a single one. My brain isn't made for this.

Story wise I understand that very well, at least in my own head cannon. When it was discussed they talked about the process of charging them again and then getting Hyper Sonic, Hyper Knuckles etc. Ever since making Sonic 3, Iizuka wanted to go back just to the name Super, making sure fans arent always looking for the next big power up and they specifically mentioned how Dragon Ball just gets out of hand with that. And not just the term Super but no more gameplay mechanics involving getting them twice over/enhancing them.

What that means for Super Tails is anyone's guess. :(

The design of the Emeralds is a non-issue. The bottom line is there will be no Hyper Sonic and the reasons stated above are why we have not had any mention of Hyper Sonic since its debute in 3&K.

Did they say if Super Sonic would have the Hyper Flash (or I guess they'd call it a Super Flash now lol)?

Or is he going to be exactly as he was in S3?

In context it sounded like both examples you asked about will be in the game. Cut scenes where your character transitions from one zone to the next is absolutely confirmed and I'm pretty certain we'll see little scenes like the way Knuckles would show up as well.

Cheers.

RomanceDawn

Did they say if Super Sonic would have the Hyper Flash (or I guess they'd call it a Super Flash now lol)?

Or is he going to be exactly as he was in S3?

Cheers.

None of that was discussed so we'll just have to wait and see.

I'm going to get my stuff signed by them today so I will ask questions.

bede-x

The specifically mentioned that this will control better than CD's special stages and there will always only be one UFO to hunt down.

That sounds promising to those of us that hated the special stages in CD. Fingers crossed they work out well, because they really seem to be nailing everything else.

Guess Who

Banned
I'm still pretty sure this is Stardust Speedway Act 2. The tubes and such look like Stardust Speedway, it was the next zone revealed after this stage was shown, and Stardust Speedway's Past stage which they selected has cathedrals in the background.

Like, two things that give it away to me. First is the pipes and cathedral-like setting of course, but also one of the big themes of Stardust Speedway Act 1 in Mania is these budding plant things:

Then notice in that above screen there's a big evident theme of blooming flowers?

The reason I don't buy this theory is because basically every art asset in that shot is original, not from Stardust Speedway. From a game dev perspective, like, obviously the benefit of reusing classic levels is that you can reuse their assets from the original games (though obviously they touch them up and add new variations or backgrounds). Making an entirely new level's worth of art for an Act 2 seems like a waste when that time and effort could be spent on an actual new level instead.

Ferr986

The reason I don't buy this theory is because basically every art asset in that shot is original, not from Stardust Speedway. From a game dev perspective, like, obviously the benefit of reusing classic levels is that you can reuse their assets from the original games (though obviously they touch them up and add new variations or backgrounds). Making an entirely new level's worth of art for an Act 2 seems like a waste when that time and effort could be spent on an actual new level instead.

Yeah Chemical Plant act 2 still has original assets.

CPZ2_Knuckles_01_1496375237.png

That pic have 0 assets from Stardust Speedway

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Yeah Chemical Plant act 2 still has original assets.

CPZ2_Knuckles_01_1496375237.png

That pic have 0 assets from Stardust Speedway

I can see the argument, but keep in mind that the stage is from Sonic CD, which in CD had four different versions of each stage that actually were often radically different from each other. There's a slim chance this isn't even the second act but the stage has a time travel mechanic they haven't shown off yet (though I personally bet it's Act 2). We won't know until we know but if there's any zone that could get radically different in its tone and assets, it'd be a Sonic CD stage.

Like the color scheme even looks similar to the Good Futures of Sonic CD:

sonicmaniastage.png

It doesn't look different to the original's Good Future which is one thing against it being so, but then each Act 2 is supposed to be a big remix of the original and going into the cathedrals in the background of the level would be a pretty big mix-up.

Ristifer

It's a neat theory, but I still think it's a new zone. They name every other zone in that booklet. Maybe they want to save that future transition as a surprise for Stardust Speedway and so they don't label it? But my gut tells me that it's a new zone that they don't want to name at this point.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I'm okay with no Super Emeralds, when this game sells well and reviews well, and the Sonic Mania team is given clearance/budget to develop a brand new game (Sonic Mania 2/Sonic "xxxxxx") with 100% new content, I would imagine Hyper Sonic would make an appearance.

RagnarokX

Nah, you've just been looking at them wrong
That cutscene literally shows them transforming into the super emeralds. The chaos emeralds fly into the air and come back down as the inert super emeralds.

That art is from Mania. Prior to becoming the super emeralds, the design of the chaos emeralds was a little chaotic.

lYCvC2p.gif

1 and 3 are consistent, though.

And the only depiction we have of the chaos emeralds in 3D showing them from multiple 3D angles is from Sonic 3's special stage, where they are depicted as round cut, specifically dodecahedrons:
ChqMyOb.gif
UcX0nz0.gif

And if you want to count 3D Blast that also showed them as a round cut:
TyQP2O8.gif

The whole super emerald thing was only created as a contrivance to justify both halves of Sonic 3 having their own set of special stages and a way to have both sets in 1 game when locked-on. It's the only game where you have to collect the emeralds twice so they needed to differentiate between them. Afterwards they had no reason to call them something other than chaos emeralds and they retained their super forms and roles, with Hyper Sonic basically just being renamed Super Sonic.
WD1QXRk.jpg

I would also prefer that if they bring back Hyper Sonic's double jump for Super Sonic they get rid of the part where it kills all enemies on screen.

mreddie

In the pre-order trailer elevator? idk, maybe because it doesn't have a clear place in the timeline (is it before or after 2?).

CD is represented in the actual game with Stardust Speedway.

Okay, yeah, I remember Somic Team having no clue about that since it was made at the same time as 2.

Qasiel

I'm getting really hyped about Sonic Mania as a massive fan of the original Mega Drive games. That being said, I never played Sonic CD and with all the talk about it going on, is this something I need to do before Mania comes out? I'm thinking I should do it in order to scratch my Sonic itch before getting Mania.

RagnarokX

Did anyone ask why Sonic CD isn't repped in the game?

They probably just felt that...

CD
K
M

...muddled the message too much. The message is "Sonic 4 doesn't exist". K was okay since it was after all the numbers, though really they should have left it off, too, since 3&K is 1 game split in 2. But it's a meme.

Maybe they didn't want to start people arguing over silly things like Sonic CD being before or after Sonic 2.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm getting really hyped about Sonic Mania as a massive fan of the original Mega Drive games. That being said, I never played Sonic CD and with all the talk about it going on, is this something I need to do before Mania comes out? I'm thinking I should do it in order to scratch my Sonic itch before getting Mania.

Sonic CD looks and sounds great but the actual level design is quite poor. I would recommend skipping it.

I know physical is King, but please don't hold out GAF. Buy it digitally. This is the greatest thing to happen to Sonic in a while and we need it to succeed

Guess Who

Banned

It’s worth playing if you like classic Sonic. The music is great and it’s got a cool aesthetic, but the level design is pretty poor.

Someone’s gonna reply to this and say “it’s not poor, it’s just different because it’s less about going from start to finish and more about exploring.” It’s still poor by that metric, too.

Ristifer

Yeah, the level design is pretty poor in CD. I'm definitely encouraged by what I've seen of Mania's level design thus far in the videos. It looks leagues better.

Qasiel

Sonic CD looks and sounds great but the actual level design is quite poor. I would recommend skipping it.

It’s worth playing if you like classic Sonic. The music is great and it’s got a cool aesthetic, but the level design is pretty poor.

Someone’s gonna reply to this and say “it’s not poor, it’s just different because it’s less about going from start to finish and more about exploring.” It’s still poor by that metric, too.

Ok, nice one. I'll give it a go but set the bar a little lower than planned.

Thanks!

MrBadger

That cutscene literally shows them transforming into the super emeralds. The chaos emeralds fly into the air and come back down as the inert super emeralds.

That art is from Mania. Prior to becoming the super emeralds, the design of the chaos emeralds was a little chaotic.

Obviously I know they changed the designs, I just thought Mania's explanation was a fun way of explaining it

JackelZXA

Ok, nice one. I'll give it a go but set the bar a little lower than planned.

Thanks!

sonic cd's kinda easy but it's still pretty fun. mess around with the time travel and try to find the robot makers in the past on each stage and you'll probably enjoy it alot more.

If I were to marathon the games I'd probably go 1 2 3k cd mania. I feel like CD's presentation is a step up from genesis. It's a good game to play before Mania and there's alot of really interesting things to it. The metal sonic boss is also very fun. all of the bosses are very unique and not like what you see in most sonic games.

Sorry if I missed this, but does anyone know if Mania has the instant/one-button-input spin dash from Generations?

1 Button Spin Dash is not in Sonic Mania, it's kind of not needed since the Drop Dash exists, but the option would've been nice

Funny how for a series all about keeping up the speed, its trademark move requires you to completely stop in place

NoKisum

So a physical version is not happening at this point, correct?

I've been sitting on the Collector's Edition in the event that they surprise people by throwing in a physical version. But it's starting to look less and less likely, and I'm not very attached to the stuff in the set.

Also, I see that the Sonic Mania vinyl is up for pre-order finally. Does Data Discs sell and ship to NA? Or are they EU only?

ckaneo

1 Button Spin Dash is not in Sonic Mania, it's kind of not needed since the Drop Dash exists, but the option would've been nice

Funny how for a series all about keeping up the speed, its trademark move requires you to completely stop in place
Probably cause the series was never about keeping up the speed

bede-x

It's got a really good port, but the game itself has exceedingly poor level design that beside being confusing, doesn't fit Sonic at all and the special stages are hard to control. Some of the bosses are ok, but the rest is not worth it.

So a physical version is not happening at this point, correct?

I've been sitting on the Collector's Edition in the event that they surprise people by throwing in a physical version. But it's starting to look less and less likely, and I'm very attached to the stuff in the set.

Also, I see that the Sonic Mania vinyl is up for pre-order finally. Does Data Discs sell and ship to NA? Or are they EU only?

There was never going to be a physical edition. Just the CE with the code to DL the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom