• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania - Pre-Order Trailer (out August 15th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

J@hranimo

Banned
I always thought S3&K had so many of its own things going on and Sega never really continued those things like the super emerald concept since we've never seen them again to this day despite having the same design.

RagnarokX

I always thought S3&K had so many of its own things going on and Sega never really continued those things like the super emerald concept since we've never seen them again to this day despite having the same design.

When they split Sonic 3 into two games they needed each half to have its own set of emeralds, and then they needed a reason to justify making you collect each emerald twice when you linked the games together, and Hyper Sonic became a reward for spending $100+ for the full game. Going forward the chaos emeralds never went back to their non-super forms and air dashing became part of Sonic's normal movepool in the Modern games anyway. Who really wants to do 14 special stages anyway?

Maybe they could do something like hide red rings in every stage, and if you collect all of the chaos emeralds + red rings you get Hyper Sonic.

Not a huge sonic fan at all, but this looks miles better than anything sonic team has done in decades.

Also, I love sonics designs both in the old official art, in-game and in the animation used with this trailer. You have to really try your best to screw sonics design up as much as they did with 'modern' sonic.

bryanee

They later clarified that it wasn't Mania in that image.

It could still be Blue Sphere but the picture seems to be from another project.

I really hope they're not inspired by the special stages in Sonic 2. For the life of me I cant get good at those ones.

Guess Who

Banned
When they split Sonic 3 into two games they needed each half to have its own set of emeralds, and then they needed a reason to justify making you collect each emerald twice when you linked the games together, and Hyper Sonic became a reward for spending $100+ for the full game. Going forward the chaos emeralds never went back to their non-super forms and air dashing became part of Sonic's normal movepool in the Modern games anyway. Who really wants to do 14 special stages anyway?

Maybe they could do something like hide red rings in every stage, and if you collect all of the chaos emeralds + red rings you get Hyper Sonic.

Man, if there was one system from modern Sonic that would work great in this game, it'd be red rings. These levels are huge - giving incentive to really explore every path would be a great addition.

Man, if there was one system from modern Sonic that would work great in this game, it'd be red rings. These levels are huge - giving incentive to really explore every path would be a great addition.
Yea, I'm hoping they incentivize you to explore the levels. They're so much bigger than the classic levels, they really should use that level design!

Sonic , as a character, has always been interesting to me but i have never been a fan of the series, not as a kid and certainly not now. it's a bit of an odd position to be in because i really want this to be a game i can enjoy but i know it'll probably be more of the same of what i hate about the old games. Still keeping my pre-order up for now.

(Only games I have beaten were Sonic Adventure, Generations and Colors; Colors being the only game i truly enjoyed )

RagnarokX

Sonic Advance 2 sorta did it with its special stage unlock method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLRFjKcQ8kc

Every level had 7 special rings you had to collect in order to access the special stage. This was poorly done because you had to collect all 7 rings in one go and collecting them only gave you 1 chance to beat one of level of the most frustrating special stages Sonic has ever had. And if you want to play as Amy Rose you have to do this with 28 times (collect all 7 emeralds with Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, AND Cream).

The way I'd do it is like Star Coins in the Mario games. Make the red rings well hidden and once you've collected one you've collected it. You don't have to get them all in one go. And just collecting them unlocks whatever they unlock.

I'd like Mania to have collectables too, but I'd rather they use something else aside of Red Rings. IMO their design looks doesn't mesh with the Genesis aesthetic; and they overall more like a metagame--something you'd see in a menu or an achievements list rather than something that reasonably fits within Sonic's world. Like you could instead collect golden Flickies (think 3D Blast); or non-collectable actions like activating ancient starposts or destroying "offline" monitors.

Moreover, Red Rings from past experience have only been utilized for unlockables independent of the game world (such as the Super Sonic mode, music, concept art, or unlocking skill movesets). If Mania had collectables, I'd be more interested to see them integrated into the game itself, rather than being something you'd see in the options menu. Each offline monitor could contain pieces of zone-specific blueprints that reveal Eggman's plans in the story. Starposts, when all activated, could act as teleporters between zones. Collecting all golden Flickies in a zone would revive the "Flicky Army of Death" protection mechanic Super Tails had in Sonic 3&K.

Silvawuff

Here you go, Sega. You've earned it.

0PmWsrn.gif

Piers

Sonic Advance 2 sorta did it with its special stage unlock method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLRFjKcQ8kc

Every level had 7 special rings you had to collect in order to access the special stage. This was poorly done because you had to collect all 7 rings in one go and collecting them only gave you 1 chance to beat one of level of the most frustrating special stages Sonic has ever had. And if you want to play as Amy Rose you have to do this with 28 times (collect all 7 emeralds with Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, AND Cream).

The way I'd do it is like Star Coins in the Mario games. Make the red rings well hidden and once you've collected one you've collected it. You don't have to get them all in one go. And just collecting them unlocks whatever they unlock.

It's weird to also think that the red ring concept started as far back as Sonic Advance 2.
For better or worse

Secret Owl

Neo Member
Best Sonic trailer ever.

The only strange thing is skipping "CD" on the elevater. It looks like this game directly aknowlages CD and draws from it in a few ways, unlike Sonic 4.

Anyone know if this animated piece will be in the game itself?

This title is almost a month and change away now I'm beyond excited they actually tried this out.

I'm hoping this does amazing so we can get the whitehead ports of sonic 2 and sonic cd and possibly 3&K.

For a sequel they'd have to go totally new as I'm getting tired of revisiting old stages / themes now.

ryan13ts

Those fishes in the background of the special stage make me think of something beta'ish. Am I crazy or are those from another game?

Either way, I like what I see and I'm sooooooo happy they didn't just go the Blue Sphere route (I think I'm the only person in the world that hated those special stages)

Edit: Nevermind, finally figured out it from Sonic 1.

Those fishes in the background of the special stage make me think of something beta'ish. Am I crazy or are those from another game?

Either way, I like what I see and I'm sooooooo happy they didn't just go the Blue Sphere route (I think I'm the only person in the world that hated those special stages)

Oh no you aren't the only one. Blue Sphere stages were trash! I will never understand the love for those stages...

Blue Sphere is alright...I like it better than Sonic 1 and 2's special stages, but I'm glad Mania's will be following on from CD's. Always had the most fun with those.

Argh now I'm wondering if I should keep my Special Edition preorder or just go with the digital copy. All that swag is cool but if all I get is the code then I might start feeling like I could have just bought the game by itself.

NoKisum

Argh now I'm wondering if I should keep my Special Edition preorder or just go with the digital copy. All that swag is cool but if all I get is the code then I might start feeling like I could have just bought the game by itself.

Same here. Part of me was thinking that they'd get enough persuasion and slip a physical version into the box for the demand, but I guess the demand wasn't high enough.

Zomba13

WOW dunno how I missed this trailer but everything in that was perfect. THAT is what I want Sonic to stay looking like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom