• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode II |OT| Let's Go, Friend of Friends!

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I really enjoyed the opening post. It's very informative and short, which is awesome. That GIF is fucking hilarious. I'm ready for Episode II!

Nice OP, I shouldn't buy this but I will and I will regret my decision, can't wait!
Still can't get over how bad the music is for reasons unknown, I know Jun can do better, he must be doing this on purpose!

Someone talk me out of it, quick. I'm not expecting hilarity like Sonic 2006, so...

It's going to be like a cheap version of Sonic 3 mixed with Advanced 3. You might as well just go play Sonic 3 again and forget about this.

I'll give this a go if it goes on a major sale, or if one of my friends gets it.

Nert

Nice OP, I shouldn't buy this but I will and I will regret my decision, can't wait!
Still can't get over how bad the music is for reasons unknown, I know Jun can do better, he must be doing this on purpose!

I'm completely baffled by this game's soundtrack. Who thinks that those samples sound good? Is Sega even aware of the backlash against the music in these games?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm completely baffled by this game's soundtrack. Who thinks that those samples sound good? Is Sega even aware of the backlash against the music in these games?
I think cats are in charge of SEGA. They would obviously approve of this.

And when I say "cats", I mean this type of cat:
cOyH2.jpg

Not this cats:

It's going to be like a cheap version of Sonic 3 mixed with Advanced 3. You might as well just go play Sonic 3 again and forget about this.
You make a very good argument. Still might play the demo we can all at least discuss this.

At least the art direction in this one is good this time unlike Episode 1's.

SykoTech

Haven't really been keeping up, but it's a shame to hear that the soundtrack apparently sucks. That's usually something they get right no matter what.

Then again, Episode I had soundtrack issues as well, so I guess it's not too shocking. Ugh.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This isn't that bad.
Oh, the composition is good. Like, it's enjoyable.

But the higher harmony synth samples and that intro especially are really bad. It's too bad because with better instrumentation, it could be one hell of a track. It's just like how Mad Gear wasn't that bad in the long run.

Honestly, this goes for many of the Sonic 4 tunes: the compositions are good. Better synth samples would go a long way into making them very memorable tunes.

Sega is run by stuffed cartoon cat plushes. I KNEW IT!
Now we know what inspired Tails Doll.

If Sega were run by cats, then why did it take so long for Blaze the Cat to jump into the scene? Surely she would've been first over Big!
The new overlord probably really loved fishing and figured that would've been a better idea.

Synless

I liked episode 1, but let's be honest, the music fucking sucks! Episode 2 doesn't sound too much better.

If Sega were run by cats, then why did it take so long for Blaze the Cat to jump into the scene? Surely she would've been first over Big!

The glass ceiling dogged her for quite some time.

for those that dont know what thats from...

The Ambiguously Gay Duo

Specifically Episode 3, which I really wanted to reference on the "3"s combo list, but couldn't decide on a way.

Thank you everybody for the compliments, I'm really happy the OT turned out to be helpful.

Kokonoe

Banned
I'd like to ask those to use spoilers tag until the game is released(if there's anything not in the OP). Honestly, I am quite excited there's an oil level due to how unique it was in Sonic 2.

The AGD found their way into an OT about Sonic...

MtZ9N.gif

May I ask where this comes from?

No Wii version? Okay, that service is dead now anyway and Wii U is coming soon

No 3DS version? Dumb. Why is there no 3DS version while a Windows phone version is coming? Surely the Windows phone version can run on a 3DS

No 3DS version? Dumb. Why is there no 3DS version while a Windows phone version is coming? Surely the Windows phone version can run on a 3DS
Agreed. It's not like another major 2D platforming series isn't making its debut on the console as a digital title.

250px-Nsmb2logo.jpg

A Sonic 4 compilation (Episode I, II, Metal - with a universal set of fixed physics) would probably do well on 3DS.

ShadiWulf

remember, if this game doesn't sell, it's the end of 2D Sonic. (laughter)

"We are looking forward to hearing the feedback from the users for Episode 2, but we are currently not planning to release another episode," Iizuka told Digital Spy. "We just want to see how the users accept this episode."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116295-Sonic-Team-Sonic-4-Ends-With-Episode-2

Oh, the composition is good. Like, it's enjoyable.

But the higher harmony synth samples and that intro especially are really bad. It's too bad because with better instrumentation, it could be one hell of a track. It's just like how Mad Gear wasn't that bad in the long run.

Honestly, this goes for many of the Sonic 4 tunes: the compositions are good. Better synth samples would go a long way into making them very memorable tunes.

Now we know what inspired Tails Doll.

The new overlord probably really loved fishing and figured that would've been a better idea.

new overlord? pffft. hes not new, he was just taking a break and observing the franchise.

@MUWANdo

Banned
No Wii version? Okay, that service is dead now anyway and Wii U is coming soon

You gotta remember how small the 3DS' resolution is (400x240), and that the engine they're using probably isn't configured for stereoscopic 3D. Do they even make phones with that small a resolution anymore?

You gotta remember how small the 3DS' resolution is (400x240), and that the engine they're using probably isn't configured for stereoscopic 3D. Do they even make phones with that small a resolution anymore?

I believe the original iTouch was the same resolution as the 3DS' top screen, and that system could play Sonic 4 Ep I. 3DS' resolution sucks, but I wouldn't think that would restrict a port

ReXXX I know that's your favorite .gif but please stop.

That gif is important. It's the equivalent of that stamp on video games that says that game is exclusive to that system. Since I found it I just can't help using it. It's that damn good. It says what I want to say without saying it. And lets people know how much I love GAF. A gif that can convey those many feelings at once deserves to be used to stamp things "ONLY ON NeoGAF!!" And I'll try the best I can not use it as much but I've only used it 4 times and all 4 times needed that gif to drive the point home.

May I ask where this comes from?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=37115851

That thread was the first time I saw it. And then I laughed for 20 straight minutes after that.

Synless

Agreed. It's not like another major 2D platforming series isn't making its debut on the console as a digital title.

250px-Nsmb2logo.jpg

A Sonic 4 compilation (Episode I, II, Metal - with a universal set of fixed physics) would probably do well on 3DS.
I was also wondering why it is not on vita either. I would rather have this game on a handheld (not a touchscreen only one).

ezodagrom

Posted this in the Steam topic, but it's also worth posting it here, I guess.
Sonic 4 Episode 2 is now out in Europe on Steam, unfortunately the PC version is like Episode 1, 1280x720 is the native resolution, and any other resolution is just a lazy upscale or downscale.
The game also has no native Anti-Aliasing option, but it's possible to force anti-aliasing through the graphics card drivers (at least for AMD/ATI graphics cards). Forcing anti-aliasing only works at the native resolution of the game though, that is, it only works at 1280x720.

Game at default settings:
sonic20120515001833817.jpg

8x SSAA + Edge Detect Filter (24x Samples):
sonic20120515002154307.jpg

Crub

That sure is disappointing. Was hoping the PC version would better-looking than the other versions.

Won't buy before it's at least 50% off.

Added a review from Eurogamer.de I saw linked on TSSZ. 8 / 10, so a decent score, although the machine translation they linked turned out a little rough:

The only places where you have to really work together, are defined tear actions, in which Sonic Tails like a small helicopter carries a death or two-roll ball on the ground by ice walls and other obstacles.

Edit: Added 1UP's review too.

Rikkun

No demo on Steam?! Should I wait until tomorrow?
LLShC.gif

Anyway this will be my only game for May. No Diablo, no Max Payne, Sonic 4-2 is all I need.
That track is really bad, hopefully we'll discover something Nocturne-like.

PS: Wait.. Ezodagrom does this mean they fucked up the sound effects? Watching your video everything seemed normal to me so.. did they fuck it up?

Top Bottom