• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic The Hedgehog Offical Thread

john tv

I picked up Play magazine last week when I was in the US, as I often do (big fan of Casey and Nick's work), and I read Halverson's review. Now, if it were anybody else in the entire world, I probably would've become interested in this game. But knowing his history with giving high scores to completely shit games, I decided to hold off and did not purchase it yet. Was this the right choice?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
john tv said:
I picked up Play magazine last week when I was in the US, as I often do (big fan of Casey and Nick's work), and I read Halverson's review. Now, if it were anybody else in the entire world, I probably would've become interested in this game. But knowing his history with giving high scores to completely shit games, I decided to hold off and did not purchase it yet. Was this the right choice?

All signs point to yes.

AniHawk

john tv said:

Yes

Angelcurio

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Sonicpr0n.jpg
huh? o_O

Mr Jared

Tomorrow, I'm going to go to Borders and see if I can find this months issue of Play.

Then, I'm going to Target to see if I can find a nice frame.

When I get home, I'm going to frame Halverson's review and put it next to my monitor.

It shall be my inspiration poster.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
gutter_trash said:
I will return to this thread with my impressions of the PS3 version after I complete the story mode and replay some action stages over and over.
You have the PS3 version? How are the load times and framerate?

JamesE

gutter_trash said:
I will return to this thread with my impressions of the PS3 version after I complete the story mode and replay some action stages over and over.

It is possible for a Sonic fan to review a Sonic game with impartiality, after I beaten Sonic Riders I sold it to a Mother of a 8 year old Sonic fan because I thought Sonic Riders to be almost unplayable

as far as Shadow The Hedgehog, hehe. That game is 33% good, meaning 33% of the stages are actually fun while the rest are not. The best way to play Shadow is to KNOW wich paths lead to GOOD stages and stick with those paths everytime you replay the game

"I enjoy wasting my money and being burned by shit games!"

Snaku

Banned
Greenpanda said:
I LOLed about three times watching this.

I love how
the bad guy just randomly materializes out of nowhere and blasts Sonic
. It's Garrrbage Day-esque

Reminded me more of Cloud getting shot. :lol

Link1110

Tell me that youtube clip of the Sonic game is fandubbed. They did NOT pay a professional actress alot of money to do that awful "scream of terror."

deadairis

For what it's worth, I QAed Shadow. After playing the new Sonic, I went to my copy of Shadow just to check.
Even after having QAed that monstrosity, I enjoyed Shadow more.
Music is good, though.

Christopher

Link1110 said:
Tell me that youtube clip of the Sonic game is fandubbed. They did NOT pay a professional actress alot of money to do that awful "scream of terror."

Apparently they changed all the voices for the guys for some unknown reason...

Link1110

I only thought of it AFTER I submitted my review, but I finally put my finger on why I hate the 3rd part of the first action stage so much. It's a 3d version of that awful bike level from Battletoads, it's just as hard, too.

Link1110 said:
I only thought of it AFTER I submitted my review, but I finally put my finger on why I hate the 3rd part of the first action stage so much. It's a 3d version of that awful bike level from Battletoads, it's just as hard, too.

I actually like the biker level from Battletoads.

But the Sonic stage...that just sucks.

Xavien

omg rite said:
"Your smile... that's all I need."

This is so ****ing creepy.

You know, Amy is supposed to be Sonic's love-hate interest, i really don't know how or why Sonic Team pretty much discarded her and put bestiality into their games.

I mean we saw hints of it in Sonic Adventure 2 (Shadow and that human girl), but this is too much.

Can't we just go back to the old Sonic (and Tails) vs Robotnik on MOBIUS!! as before the Sonic Adventure series?

ZeoVGM

Banned
I have high hopes this game will make Sega take notice.

And it needs to be said: Dr. Robotnik > Eggman. Eggman is a nice insult Sonic can throw out, but wtf.

Christopher

Xavien said:
You know, Amy is supposed to be Sonic's love-hate interest, i really don't know how or why Sonic Team pretty much discarded her and put bestiality into their games.

I mean we saw hints of it in Sonic Adventure 2 (Shadow and that human girl), but this is too much.

Can't we just go back to the old Sonic (and Tails) vs Robotnik on MOBIUS!! as before the Sonic Adventure series?

I have high hopes this game will make Sega take notice.

And it needs to be said: Dr. Robotnik > Eggman. Eggman is a nice insult Sonic can throw out, but wtf.

Apparently, some of our members are still stuck on Saturday morning cartoon phase, they were always on Earth and Dr. Robotnik was always Eggman in Japan...Sega of America made up all that shit to make money off cartoons and what have you.

Post Sonic Adventure they merged SOA's Robotnik to Eggman, like what Nintendo did with Toadstool and Peach.

As for the human interaction, I don't mind, it was only a kiss, and it was when Sonic died...it's not like they made out on a beach or something.

Kusagari

Christopher said:
Apparently, some of our members are still stuck on Saturday morning cartoon phase, they were always on Earth and Dr. Robotnik was always Eggman in Japan...Sega of America made up all that shit to make money off cartoons and what have you.

Post Sonic Adventure they merged SOA's Robotnik to Eggman, like what Nintendo did with Toadstool and Peach.

QUOTE]

I think that most of us know that. It doesn't change the fact that Robotnik sounds way more badass than Eggman. I mean come on... Why would he call himself Eggman? It makes sense for Sonic to insult him with it because it should be something that pisses him off, not just his regular name.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Christopher said:

Nope, just stuck on stuff that is actually better.

It will always be: cartoony + fun non-realistic world Sonic = Mobius, while Sonic Adventure + after = Earth, in my eyes. :p

Maztorre

Christopher said:
As for the human interaction, I don't mind, it was only a kiss, and it was when Sonic died...it's not like they made out on a beach or something.

Yeah I mean having Sonic die and be resurrected by a kiss from a poorly designed human character in the most mind-numbing schlock storyline Sonic Team have ever come up with isn't a big deal.

The story is horrid, the new cast of characters is horrid, the general reproportioning of the Sonic cast is horrid. Regardless, I would actually have bought the game if the engine was solid and the game played differently enough from the bottomless pit-laden, hyper linear trash that has been the last couple of 3D games. Unfortunately they couldn't even do that, and in fact the grinding that they've fallen in love with over the past couple of years is implemented in a worse manner than Adventure 2. The only worthwhile part of the entire game was that they composed a handful of very nice tunes for the game, which you can download for free in this very thread. This game is worthless.

At this point, I don't give a shit where they decide to set the games, or what the name the characters, I just want an actual GOOD GAME.

ZeoVGM

Banned
So uh, I'm snowboarding.

I'm glad Sega thought the controls in this stage were actually okay.

It's ****ing unplayable.

Snaku

Banned
omg rite said:
So uh, I'm snowboarding.

It's ****ing unplayable.

:lol

It's a good thing I don't own a 360, otherwise I know I'd be blowing money on this. No self control. :)

mollipen

john tv said:

You forgot somebody very important in your list of people at Play who you are a fan of. *cries*

dark10x said:
You have the PS3 version? How are the load times and framerate?

nah nah, I meant that I'm going to buy the PS3 version when it comes out and beat and play through and only return to post on this thread AFTER I got impressions to post

i cant post anymore until I play it myslef

FightyF

Banned
omg rite said:
So uh, I'm snowboarding.

It's ****ing unplayable.

I was thinking this when I played Sonic Adventure (Japanese one...I've heard they tweaked the controls for the NA one?)...if this is worse...*shakes head*

Xavien

Christopher said:

Strange, besides robotnik, i didn't see any other humans in the earlier Sonic games. If it was on earth where were all the humans in the earlier games? Or did they all miraculously transform into cute animals that could talk (aka Sally and Johnny)?

But whatever, i just want Sonic Team to go back to that type of world, instead of some warped 'realistic' version of Earth.

Link1110

sonicpick.jpg

(Jerry Seinfeld voice) No, Princess, it wasn't a pick! I was only scratching! There was no nostril penetration! And if there was, so what? Is that so unforgivable? Is that like breaking a commandment? Did God say to Moses thou shalt not pick? But I did-not-pick! I am not an animal! Oh, wait-

Brannon

So I remember playing Megaman X6. And boy what a piece of trash that was. Level design was atrocious, there was no spirit, and most importantly, the last boss was a pale shadow of his former self. So wrought with damage and defeat, and there was no way it could beat you. What was it doing there? Why bother? A sad shell of a thing. Then I beat the game and just put the controller down and stared.

This is Sonic The Hedgehog 2006.

Also, and here's the best part about the whole thing; THE ENTIRE STORY IS MOOT. It NEVER happened. People get kicked out of college for ending stories like that. I am thoroughly convinced that a bunch of super Sonic furry fan freaks got their ultimate wish of working on the new Sonic games and they went to town on them. I mean, even more luminous super 'hogs, more convoluted storylines and main character deaths, more humans shoved in for the hell of it; everything you can find in a crappy fanfic is in this game. EVERYTHING.

Boy did they go to town on them...

KingJ2002

AniHawk said:

well... the story ends with sonic and the princess going back in time to blow out the flame of soleanna (a ****in candle) and by doing so they never meet... it really pisses you off finding out that you basically endured all this BS to find out it never happened in the first place.

AniHawk

KingJ2002 said:
well... the story ends with sonic and the princess going back in time to blow out the flame of soleanna (a ****in candle) and by doing so they never meet... it really pisses you off finding out that you basically endured all this BS to find out it never happened in the first place.

On the plus side, none of it ever happened at all.

Top Bottom