• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces 18.5 million PlayStation 4 consoles sold WW

So, Sony sold 18.5 million PlayStation 4 consoles WW to customers as of January 2015.

Sony told us in November, that they SHIPPED to retailers 13.5 million unites WW as of 31th october 2014. Source: http://www.geekwire.com/2014/sony-s...soles-one-year-microsoft-sells-10m-xbox-ones/
lets say, 500k units world wide on shelf (lets be generous!)

18.5 million units - 13.0 million units = 5.5 million units

so sony, sold more than 5.5 million units to customers in november + december alone.
we know that they sold 1,6 million US in november and december combined according to NPD.
more than 4 million units sold to customers in Europe, Asia and South America in november december alone.

Sounds legit.
GIGO

13.5M was what Sony had shipped through September, not through October. Also, I don't think your NPD number is right either.

Chobel

So, Sony sold 18.5 million PlayStation 4 consoles WW to customers as of January 2015.

Sony told us in November, that they SHIPPED to retailers 13.5 million unites WW as of 31th october 2014. Source: http://www.geekwire.com/2014/sony-s...soles-one-year-microsoft-sells-10m-xbox-ones/

so sony, sold more than 5.5 million units to customers in november + december alone.
we know that they sold 1,6 million US in november and december combined according to NPD.
more than 4 million units sold to customers in Europe, Asia and South America in november december alone.

Sounds legit.

LOL! I thought we're done with people questioning Sony numbers.

Anyway they shipped to retailers 13.5 million unites WW as of 30th September 2014

omonimo

Banned
Just the process of the XB1 leveling out post price drop. Happens after every price reduction. Next two months we'll see where the base line is.
It's the same thing said to a lot of people before. "No way xbone take December " and it outsold ps4 for almost 300k of units. Yeah probably numbers will be a lot closer in the normal months, but if MS continues to be so aggressive in bundle and promotion, ps4 could miss the lead in US.

NickFire

It's the same thing said to a lot of people before. "No way xbone take December " and it outsold ps4 for almost 300k of units. Yeah probably numbers will be a lot closer in the normal months, but if MS continues to be so aggressive in bundle and promotion, ps4 could miss the lead.

Its certainly possible they lose the lead in the US if MS keeps the bundles and price advantage, but I doubt worldwide MS has any chance.

gtj1092

It's the same thing said to a lot of people before. "No way xbone take December " and it outsold ps4 for almost 300k of units. Yeah probably numbers will be a lot closer in the normal months, but if MS continues to be so aggressive in bundle and promotion, ps4 could miss the lead.

But X1 sales did slow in December while Ps4s slightly increased and now it appears that Ps4 will be back on top in Janurary.

Mrbob

It's the same thing said to a lot of people before. "No way xbone take December " and it outsold ps4 for almost 300k of units. Yeah probably numbers will be a lot closer in the normal months, but if MS continues to be so aggressive in bundle and promotion, ps4 could forget the lead.

The gap shrunk from November to December, and will shrink again in January. It takes a couple months for hardware sales to level out post price drop. If the XB1 outsells the PS4 by a little bit in the USA, so what? It is not like the PS4 is selling poorly. Sony will take a near 50/50 split in the USA while dominating worldwide.

Heck, Sony hasn't even officially price dropped yet. Once they do they will get the type of bounce MS did with their aggressive November and December.

cakely

Sounds legit.

I take it you've just joined crapgamer and Misterxmedia in questioning officially released sales numbers? You're in great company.

omonimo

Banned
Its certainly possible they lose the lead in the US if MS keeps the bundles and price advantage, but I doubt worldwide MS has any chance.
Ah of course. It's not even in my mind. But look at the numbers, US sales are incredibly huge, probably 60% of the WW sales if not a little more. Missed the lead here it's not a good thing. Could give some trouble.

Game4life

Banned
Interesting.

Pretty much confirms the "close to 20m shipped" for PS4, and "at or about 10m shipped" for XB1 (back as of late December).

On other news, here is the current situation internationally on Amazon for January 2015:

Amazon US:
PS4: #8
XB1: #16
WiiU: #52
(Hourly has PS4 #6 and climbing, XB1 #13 and climbing)

Amazon UK:
PS4: #33, #82, #85
WiiU: #62
XB1: #76
(Hourly PS4 #33 & #39 and both climbing, no XB1 or WiiU in top 100)

Amazon FR:
PS4: #17, #66
XB1: #75
WiiU: NA
(Hourly PS4 #53, #76, Wii U #92, no XB1 in top 100)

Amazon DE:
PS4: #25, #28, #83
XB1: NA
WiiU: NA
(Hourly has PS4 #3, #46, no XB1 or WiiU)

Amazon IT:
Hourly, as the site has no yearly bestseller list
PS4: #45
WiiU: #77

Amazon ES (Spain):
Hourly, as the site as no yearly bestseller list
PS4: #51, #60
WiiU: #79

Looks like the effect of the price cut has waned... (The XB1 is cheaper than the PS4 in prety much every market, the smallest difference I've seen being in France where it is only cheaper by about 10 euros).

Yeah the holiday effect is over. I am surprised though. Looks like Sony will not have to cut price especially with the kind of games coming. A price cut at UC's release with bundles will ensure the hardware flies of shelves but until then going by these charts Sony does not need to do anything.

Sorny

Banned
I take it you've just joined crapgamer and Misterxmedia in questioning officially released sales numbers? You're in great company.

No. The "Sold to customers" was a GOOGLE TRANSLATION. Lol. See OP. Source is japanese.

Maybe they meant "sold/shipped to retailers" that would make sense.

But 4 million Units in 2 months only in europe+asia. How is that even possible?

Xando

Had to actually go and google this. Found the 4Q and annual results at AMD site. Direct quote from Recent Highlights:
"Strong demand continued for AMD-based game consoles, with Microsoft and Sony having shipped nearly 30 million consoles to-date."

This was dated Jan 20, but I doubt they have the most up-to-date information about console shipments. Still, they might have a pretty decent hunch about the situation until the end of the year.

So unless they've sold everything they shipped (which i don't believe) XB1 is at 10.5 million max sales.

I've added all XB1 numbers together with the recent french numbers in the Pal thread:
UK won't be more than 1.5 million so with France 416k + germany 270k we are at 2.2-2.3 million for the 3 biggest markets in europe.

6.2 million USA
2.2 million UK,GER,FR
100k China (Was it shipped?)
51k Spain
45k Japan
So combined we have the XB1 at 8.596 million with ROTW missing.
Spain and Germany without dec. numbers.

That leaves ~ 2 million consoles unsold for ROTW + Spain and Germany december sales

No. The "Sold to customers" was a GOOGLE TRANSLATION. Lol. See OP. Source is japanese.

Pretty sure Kaz confirmed sold through to consumer at their CES keynote.

3 months.

13.5 million was shipped as of 30th September. It's a misconception that it was as of October.

Game4life

Banned

Stop. Kaz Hirai confirmed sold to end consumers at the CES conference.

cakely

So, yes. Well, have fun with that.

Welfare

Sounds legit.
10.0 million sold by August 12

13.5 million shipped by September 30

1.9 million in the US in November and December

4.1 million sold WW between November 23rd and January 4th.

18.5 million sold by January 4th

Looks legit.

Also I'd say the PS4 shipped 19.0m - 19.3m by December 31st

ZhugeEX

Banned
Sorny seems to be a troll. Can we report him or something?

And in regards to the question you asked me serversurfer. 30m sounds about right. I'd take that number to be 30m though, not less.

19-20m for PS4
10-11m for X1.

Elandyll

Banned
GIGO

13.5M was what Sony had shipped through September, not through October. Also, I don't think your NPD number is right either.

Correct, it was shipped as of end of September 2014.

What we know:

August 12th (as of either end of July or very early August): 10m sold to customers
By end of September: 13.5m shipped to retailers
By end of December: 18.5m sold to customers

US (NPD) sales between August and December 2014: 2.8m (rounding out on purpose)
Commonly accepted proportion of US Playstation sales vs world: about 33% (1/3).
2.8m x 3 = 8.4m
10m + 8.4m = 18.4m sold to customers

No discrepancy that I can see really.

EatMyFace

Banned

Sounds legit.
It's a conspiracy!

BigDug13

Are you that sure? Maybe US+UK then, looking to the Xbox sales.

Well if you're talking about Xbox, then of course the US is a huge percentage of their overall sales. But for Sony, US is a much smaller percentage because they sell higher amounts in other regions (but that doesn't mean they sell less in US than Xbox, but that's what spin using percentages can do). You can't use a percentage to emphatically say that the US provides X percentage of console sales because it has too many variables like how many consoles are sold elsewhere and how popular your brand is worldwide.

Chobel

First: It's sold-through to consumers, Kaz Hirai said it in "English" at Sony CES conference.
Second: 13.5 million was shipped as of 30th September 2014, so it's three months and not two.
Third: Sony sold 1.87-1.89 mil in Nov+Dec NPDs.

Sorny seems to be a troll. Can we report him or something?

And in regards to the question you asked me serversurfer. 30m sounds about right. I'd take that number to be 30m though, not less.

19-20m for PS4
10-11m for X1.

He's been posting for a week and his posts have been nothing but fanboy charged rhetoric.

Purest 78

No.... this was never said.

The US console market makes up around 42% of the overall market. That's what was actually said.

Unless you can prove me wrong?

I recall her posting it in a Tread, unless I'm remembering wrong. Hopefully she's around and can verify.

Edit Isn't worldwide numbers and overall numbers the same thing?

omonimo

Banned
Well if you're talking about Xbox, then of course the US is a huge percentage of their overall sales. But for Sony, US is a much smaller percentage because they sell higher amounts in other regions. You can't use a percentage to emphatically say that the US provides X percentage of console sales because it has too many variables like how many consoles are sold elsewhere and how popular your brand is worldwide.
It's a rough estimation but looking to the global sales, not seems completely crazy. Ps4 sell incredibly better in the rest of the world but slightly worse in US, Xbox notable worse in the rest of the world but better in US with not an incredible margin like ps4 in the rest of the world. That's where coming my estimation. Well I don't said it's exact math.

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC

Yes, we've been discussing this topic worth more than 5000 posts, and you think you're the first one to think of this?

Jeez.

BigDug13

No.... this was never said.

The US console market makes up around 42% of the overall market. That's what was actually said.

Unless you can prove me wrong?

I'm kinda curious how they come up with that percentage value. Does it account for more and more developing nations being able to buy consoles? Does it account for the continued stagnation of US purchasing power and tablet/phone popularity? Seems like you can't just emphatically say the US definitely has 42% of console sales because there are so many variables worldwide. Maybe that's the value derived month to month or was the value of last gen's total sales to this point? Where does the number come from specifically?

Elandyll

Banned
3 months.

13.5 million was shipped as of 30th September. It's a misconception that it was as of October.

Yes.
Please let it be known:

Sony FY
Q1: April - June
Q2: July - September (what the 13.5m shipped was covering between Q1 and Q2 added to the ltd)
Q3: October - December
Q4: January - March

As a side note, due to the recent hack at Sony pictures, Sony Corp. just asked to postpone their submissions of quarterly securities report, but their FY meeting will still occur on Feb. 4th

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/info/presen/

* On January 23, Sony Corporation filed an application to extend the deadline for submission of its quarterly securities report for the third quarter ended December 31, 2014 due to a serious disruption of network systems which occurred as a result of a cyberattack against Sony Pictures Entertainment in November 2014.
However, Sony Corporation will still hold a financial results briefing for the third quarter on February 4, as it would like to offer an approximation, to the extent possible, of its third quarter results as well as explain its forecast for the fiscal year.

Ricky_R

Weird that the Xbone hasn't been able to overcome the PS4 in Amazon yet. Even with its official price-cut.

Hourly sales of course.

Mr Moose

ioi, is that you? Gotta find where those numbers come from!

Xando

I'm kinda curious how they come up with that percentage value. Does it account for more and more developing nations being able to buy consoles? Does it account for the continued stagnation of US purchasing power and tablet/phone popularity? Seems like you can't just emphatically say the US definitely has 42% of console sales because there are so many variables worldwide. Maybe that's the value derived month to month or was the value of last gen's total sales to this point? Where does the number come from specifically?

It's not unbelievable.

Playstation has always sold more in ROTW than the US and we have some numbers from continental european countries that have PS4 outselling the PS2 by 6 months. Sony stated that they have good sales (4 times better than the next available console) in the middle east.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I don't give to Amazon so much reliability for a real estimation of the sales number.

Agreed.

But then again I really don't expect the Xbox One to outsell the PS4 in the USA every month. It'll be close but I do believe the PS4 will sell more consoles again this year.

Amir0x

Banned

Sounds legit.

It's a fact they sold 18.5 million through to consumers. You may think that these things are some salvo in your own frustrating fanboy war, but since Sony could get in huge legal trouble for misreporting numbers at their Quarterly Reports, everyone knows that they're not going to game the works by fabricated numbers. There's not even a good motivation for it - you get very little return for such a lie vs. the huge penalty if you're found in such a lie.

On top of that, the sales numbers we have been able to follow confirm that Sony is indeed on track to hit numbers in these sorts of ballparks.

On top of that, if Sony were just going to make shit up about their systems numbers, why didn't they do it for PS3 or Vita or PSP during huge periods of time when their systems could have actually needed the boost of PR? It's funny how these nonsense conspiracies spread by console diehards always seem to be so selective.

You should deal with it Sorny that PS4 is where it says it is, and that you're going to be dealing with a long generation of numbers like this. It'll be easier for you bro.

BigDug13

It's not unbelievable.

Playstation has always sold more in ROTW than the US and we have some numbers from continental european countries that have PS4 outselling the PS2 by 6 months. Sony stated that they have good sales (4 times better than the next available console) in the middle east.

I never said I didn't believe the number. But I call into question that it's a number that can remain solid at 42% when there are so many factors involved in it. At what point in time was the number 42%? Is that number based on current gen sales in the previous month? Is it derived from last gen's overall sales? Is it derived as of the month of December of Wii-U, PS4, XBO?

42% of console sales one month could be a different number another month. 42% is the total percentage of US sales for what slice of time?

Tubie

Sounds legit.

Do you really think Sony would risk a lawsuit over console warz?

Stanng243

The gap shrunk from November to December, and will shrink again in January. It takes a couple months for hardware sales to level out post price drop. If the XB1 outsells the PS4 by a little bit in the USA, so what? It is not like the PS4 is selling poorly. Sony will take a near 50/50 split in the USA while dominating worldwide.

Heck, Sony hasn't even officially price dropped yet. Once they do they will get the type of bounce MS did with their aggressive November and December.

I am curious why do you think the gap will shrink in January? I expect the PS4 to outsell the Xbox one in the US and worldwide, which would grow it. Granted I've only seen things like Amazon rankings being indicators, but they've been right every month so far. Has any retail sources commented on January?

To Sorny:

If the PS4 only shipped 5 million consoles during FY Q3, that would be significantly worse than most PS3 Q3's.

18.5 million is their sold to consumers guestimate.
18.5 million is not part of their quarterly figures. We won't get their quarterly figure until February.
5 million would be unusually low for a Q3.
18.5-13.5 would only be 5 million shipped. They have 13.5 shipped by September 31st.

That's lower than the PS3 during Q3 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012. By over a million.
So no, you're pretty much wrong here. Expect to see at the very least 6 million shipped

Expect to see ~20-21 million shipped to consumers by Dec 31st, 2014. The 18.5 million has been specifically said to not be shipped figures. But rather, sold through to consumers.

Top Bottom