• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces 18.5 million PlayStation 4 consoles sold WW

Mrbob

I am curious why do you think the gap will shrink in January? I expect the PS4 to outsell the Xbox one in the US and worldwide, which would grow it. Granted I've only seen things like Amazon rankings being indicators, but they've been right every month so far. Has any retail sources commented on January?

I just meant in general the gap will shrink in January. It is possible for this to become a surplus for Sony. Which would then put them in an extremely favorable position for the rest of the year, since we know a price drop is coming in 2015.

No. The "Sold to customers" was a GOOGLE TRANSLATION. Lol. See OP. Source is japanese.

Maybe they meant "sold/shipped to retailers" that would make sense.

But 4 million Units in 2 months only in europe+asia. How is that even possible?
http://scei.co.jp/corporate/release/150106_e.html

Tokyo, January 6, 2015 – Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced that the PlayStation®4 (PS4™) computer entertainment system has cumulatively sold through more than 18.5 million units*1 worldwide as of January 4, 2015

*1 Number of retail sales to consumers is estimated by SCEI. PS4 sales data in Japan collected 2/22/2014 – 1/4/2015. PS4 sales data in North America collected 11/15/2013 – 1/3/2015, in Europe and Latin America collected 11/29/2013 – 1/3/2015, and in Asia collected 12/17/2013 – 1/4/2015.

In English.

Sorny seems to be a troll. Can we report him or something?

And in regards to the question you asked me serversurfer. 30m sounds about right. I'd take that number to be 30m though, not less.

19-20m for PS4
10-11m for X1.
I'd say your ranges are well centered, but a bit wide. lol 19M shipped would be very shallow stock for Sony. They had 300k unsold at the end of 2013, and that was with significant airlifting to meet demand. I didn't hear similar reports of pushing stock forward this year, and they're in more markets now, which would widen the channels. Like I said, I could see something a low as 750k unsold, but I think we'd seen shortages on our end if they were down in the 500k range. Similarly, if they had 1.5M in the channel, I don't think German retailers would be complaining about not being able to keep them in stock.

Anyway, if we say ~19.5M for Sony, and ~10.5M for MS, that would mean PS4 out-shipped XB3 ~15M to ~6.6M in 2014. If we assume they both have 1M unsold in the channel, sell-through would be 14.3M:6.5M, but I suspect XB3's WW sell-through isn't as strong as PS4's — again, looking to Germany — so they may be lower than 6.5M.

Xando

I never said I didn't believe the number. But I call into question that it's a number that can remain solid at 42% when there are so many factors involved in it. At what point in time was the number 42%? Is that number based on current gen sales in the previous month? Is it derived from last gen's overall sales? Is it derived as of the month of December of Wii-U, PS4, XBO?

42% of console sales one month could be a different number another month. 42% is the total percentage of US sales for what slice of time?

I don't know where the 42% number is from but PS4 US LTD is 6.7 million (Is that number right?) and WW LTD is 18.5 million the US market would make ~ 38% of overall PS4 sales.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Tokyo, January 6, 2015 – Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced that the PlayStation®4 (PS4™) computer entertainment system has cumulatively sold through more than 18.5 million units*1 worldwide as of January 4, 2015

In English.

Oh wow....

I just did a google translate from Japanese to English and it looks like "Sorny" was right all along......

fsdg_zps09e41e09.jpg

;)

Clarification:
Clearly this is a joke guys. I'm not even translating Japanese to English, It's English to English :p

BigDug13

I don't know where the 42% number is from but PS4 US LTD is 6.7 million (Is that number right?) and WW LTD is 18.5 million the US market would make ~ 38% of overall PS4 sales.

Right, so the number is already 4% off when speaking about PS4 only. That's why I was trying to get an exact frame of reference for that percentage.

Oh wow....

I just did a google translate from Japanese to English and it looks like "Sorny" was right all along......

fsdg_zps09e41e09.jpg

Sure, ignoring the fact that it was reported in English by Sony at a press event. The OP itself was just never updated with that further information that is readily available in other parts of this thread.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I'd say your ranges are well centered, but a bit wide. lol 19M shipped would be very shallow stock for Sony. They had 300k unsold at the end of 2013, and that was with significant airlifting to meet demand. I didn't hear similar reports of pushing stock forward this year, and they're in more markets now, which would widen the channels. Like I said, I could see something a low as 750k unsold, but I think we'd seen shortages on our end if they were down in the 500k range. Similarly, if they had 1.5M in the channel, I don't think German retailers would be complaining about not being able to keep them in stock.

I agree that the PS4 number is likely to be closer to 19.5m than 19.0m

But I give a broad range because we won't know the official number till Sony announces it.

Xando

Right, so the number is already 4% off when speaking about PS4 only. That's why I was trying to get an exact frame of reference for that percentage.

We'll never get exact percentages unless sony tells us. All we can do is use the information we have and for that <5% difference isn't that bad.

No. The "Sold to customers" was a GOOGLE TRANSLATION. Lol. See OP. Source is japanese.

Maybe they meant "sold/shipped to retailers" that would make sense.

But 4 million Units in 2 months only in europe+asia. How is that even possible?

You're in for a long and painful generation buddy. Thanks for all the giggles you have and will be providing though.

I agree that the PS4 number is likely to be closer to 19.5m than 19.0m

But I give a broad range because we won't know the official number till Sony announces it.
Fair enough. Regarding AMD's number, I was thinking as high as 29.9M, but yeah, I suppose it could even be as high as 29.99M. lol

It'd be a real shame to short MS by as much as 90k units. ;)

ZhugeEX

Banned
EDIT- YIKES!!!

Yes... I just saw what happened as well.

My heart stopped..... literally......

Next time I'll make it clearer if I'm going to take the mick out of someone.

I thought the whole translating Japanese to English (when I was clearly translating English to English was a bit of a give away)

Fair enough. Regarding AMD's number, I was thinking as high as 29.9M, but yeah, I suppose it could even be as high as 29.99M. lol

It'd be a real shame to short MS by as much as 90k units. ;)

Haha, It might not be 29.99m but I'd assume that when they say nearly 30m we should take it as ~30m. Only until we get official figures from Sony (which we will) and Microsoft (which we probably won't) will we know the exact number.

Purest 78

Sure, ignoring the fact that it was reported in English by Sony at a press event. The OP itself was just never updated with that further information that is readily available in other parts of this thread.

As I said before I remember aqua saying the US made up 42% of total console/games worldwide sales. I could have misinterpreted or misread what she said. Hopefully she drops in and clarifies everything.

ZhugeEX

Banned
As I said before I remember aqua saying the US made up 42% of total console/games worldwide sales. I could have misinterpreted or misread what she said. Hopefully she drops in and clarifies everything.

That's a very broad statement and doesn't apply specifically to the X1.

As I said before, the 42% number has nothing to do with the X1 and should not be used to work out worldwide sales of the X1.

Overall console market maybe.

Purest 78

That's a very broad statement and doesn't apply specifically to the X1.

As I said before, the 42% number has nothing to do with the X1 and should not be used to work out worldwide sales of the X1.

Overall console market maybe.

I wanna wait for actual people with the knowledge,as I said I could have misinterpreted what she said. If it is correct that means all consoles and games with in that 42% in the US. So how wouldn't xbox fit into that?

If Sony is selling over a million units WW a month and they are at >18.5m as of January 4th sold you would assume by February 4th they would be @ 19.5m+ sold so 20m shipped easy. If not already there.

Shin-Ra

It's a rough estimation but looking to the global sales, not seems completely crazy. Ps4 sell incredibly better in the rest of the world but slightly worse in US, Xbox notable worse in the rest of the world but better in US with not an incredible margin like ps4 in the rest of the world. That's where coming my estimation. Well I don't said it's exact math.
Which major games do you think Microsoft's going to bundle free with their $50 cheaper console throughout the year?

ZhugeEX

Banned
I wanna wait for actual people with the knowledge,as I said I could have misinterpreted what she said. If it is correct that means all consoles and games with in that 42% in the US. So how wouldn't xbox fit into that?

Because you responded to someone who was specifically talking about Xbox One. You said that US = 42% so then people used that number to work out that if 6.2m people bought an Xbox One in the USA that means there would be 14m+ worldwide sold

Clearly this is very wrong.

So the 42% does not apply to the Xbox One specifically.

In the original context (a number of pages ago now) this number was used to say that the overall console market see's the USA have a ~42% share. But even this number isn't verified, nor was it posted by Aqua. We don't know if this number was for one month of sales or one year of sales. It's just a random number.

Therefore there is no point posting this over and over as if it means something. It doesn't.

BigDug13

We'll never get exact percentages unless sony tells us. All we can do is use the information we have and for that <5% difference isn't that bad.

US is 38% of the console market for PS4, but a much, much higher percentage of the market for XBO. It's a silly metric. US has 42% of the console market, well that depends exactly on what console is being chosen, right? Next year, PS4 may continue to sell better in Europe and other WW locations and maybe it becomes the US is only 34% of the market of PS4 buyers.

The fact is that Sony has proven through last gen and part of this gen now that simply winning the US isn't everything. Even being close to even in NPD numbers lifetime has still resulted in a 2x WW sales swing in Sony's direction. The US is an important market, and is most likely the most important single market, but obviously a deficiency in US sales can be made up elsewhere. It's not the be-all and end-all.

Purest 78

Because you responded to someone who was specifically talking about Xbox One. You said that US = 42% so then people used that number to work out that if 6.2m people bought an Xbox One in the USA that means there would be 14m+ worldwide sold

Clearly this is very wrong.

So the 42% does not apply to the Xbox One specifically.

In the original context (a number of pages ago now) this number was used to say that the overall console market see's the USA have a ~42% share. But even this number isn't verified, nor was it posted by Aqua. We don't know if this number was for one month of sales or one year of sales. It's just a random number.

Therefore there is no point posting this over and over as if it means something. It doesn't.

No I responded to a poster who said The US is possibly 60% of worldwide sales, you might wanna check that out.

Also I'm talking about total console/games US percentages. If 42% is correct that's still a huge ratio just for one country, with all the remaining countries

Elandyll

Banned
The gap shrunk from November to December, and will shrink again in January. It takes a couple months for hardware sales to level out post price drop. If the XB1 outsells the PS4 by a little bit in the USA, so what? It is not like the PS4 is selling poorly. Sony will take a near 50/50 split in the USA while dominating worldwide.

Heck, Sony hasn't even officially price dropped yet. Once they do they will get the type of bounce MS did with their aggressive November and December.

Just out of curiosity, where does your certainty come from?

Because if we are looking at the Amazon monthly ranking (which so far have been correct 14 months out of 14), the PS4 is bound to outsell the XB1 this month in the US.

Not saying it's guaranteed, obviously, but it looks that way so far.

Xando

US is 38% of the console market for PS4, but a much, much higher percentage of the market for XBO. It's a silly metric. US has 42% of the console market, well that depends exactly on what console is being chosen, right? Next year, PS4 may continue to sell better in Europe and other WW locations and maybe it becomes the US is only 34% of the market of PS4 buyers.

The fact is that Sony has proven through last gen and part of this gen now that simply winning the US isn't everything. Even being close to even in NPD numbers lifetime has still resulted in a 2x WW sales swing in Sony's direction. The US is an important market, and is most likely the most important single market, but obviously a deficiency in US sales can be made up elsewhere. It's not the be-all and end-all.

I agree, overall console market percentage should be higher with the XB1 %.

Let's say just for fun XB1 sold 10 million overall, XB1 US percentage would be 62%.

That would mean combined US sales of PS4 + XB1 are 12.9 million with overall sales being 28.5 million that would mean the US markets percentage is 45% so the 42% isn't too far off.

ZhugeEX

Banned
No I responded to a poster who said The US is possibly 60% of worldwide sales, you might wanna check that out.

No.... they were talking about Xbox One sales being 60% in USA and 40% worldwide. They were estimating X1 sales.

Seriously, go back and read it.

I'm not going to keep responding to you if you refuse to acknowledge this as it's a fact. It's also recorded on the last few pages.

Sure, 42% may account for US sales in the OVERALL console market. But not just for the Xbox One as was implied by yourself in two posts on the last page.

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
The US is an important market, and is most likely the most important single market,
As a single market, yeah, but as whole Europe is 52% of video game sales. (The definition of "market" is kinda hazy; a large US city can be considered a market.)

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'd say between 9.5-10.5 million is possible, maybe a bit less depending on european sales.

In terms of shipped. I would say certainly over 10m. Closer to 11m.

Shipped, yes. How many XBO's are sitting on store shelves WW? How many are sitting in chain store distribution warehouses? I guess that's the real unknown.

Thanks folks. I think the PS4 will take January in the US (been watching Amazon and other online stores) by a decent margin and 'obviously' win WW by quite a hefty margin. I reckon the gap will be nearly 9m by mid Feb.

Shipped, yes. How many XBO's are sitting on store shelves WW? How many are sitting in chain store distribution warehouses? I guess that's the real unknown.
"More than there should be" seems like a pretty safe assumption. German retailers are taking losses to be rid of it, and actually Amazon did the same thing in the US; after MS went back to $399, Amazon continued selling their stock at the Black Friday price of $329.

RexNovis

Banned
So the general assumption is that the "soon reach 10 million shipped to retailers" happened as of the start of January? Yeesh they jumped the gun with that announcement especially if rumors are true and they had to stuff the channels to do so. Surely it will have a severely negative impact on shipped numbers in this quarter. How can it possibly be profitable for them having to undercut the competition by $70 with 2 or more free games bundled in and then stuffing channels with extra units that far exceed current demand. This does not seem like a profitable strategy at all.

ZhugeEX

Banned
So the general assumption is that the "soon reach 10 million shipped to retailers" happened as of the start of January? Yeesh they jumped the gun with that announcement especially if rumors are true and they had to stuff the channels to do so. Surely it will have a severely negative impact on shipped numbers in this quarter. How can it possibly be profitable for them having to undercut the competition by $70 with 2 or more free games bundled in and then stuffing channels with extra units that far exceed current demand. This does not seem like a profitable strategy at all.

10m was reached by December 3rd.

Initoally they are foregoing profitability for marketshare, so they can become profitable through new console owners investing in their ecosystem

Biker19

Banned

As a single market, yeah, but as whole Europe is 52% of video game sales. (The definition of "market" is kinda hazy; a large US city can be considered a market.)

These. People keep saying, "Only sales in America matter, not worldwide," but it doesn't matter to 3rd party publishers, especially small to mid 3rd party publishers & indie publishers. Who do you think they're going to mostly side with?

A.) The console with just high sales in the U.S. (Xbox One),

or

B.) The console that also has high sales in the U.S., plus the ton of additional sales elsewhere around the world (PS4)?

I think most of them will choose B.

I was just curious, is there a formula for estimating how many console units are in retail/distribution or are people just using Fermi estimates?

The thing is, normally there is a golden ratio of efficiency in terms of how much you leave on the shelves in relation to how much you actually sell a month.

However, a company might well manipulate media news by deliberately over-stocking the shelves in order to generate a nice fake number for the number of products shipped. Now we accuse Microsoft of this, but other companies are just as capable of it. Though we do know that PS4 production is currently only just barely meeting demand, so Sony can't stuff the shelves even f they wanted to.

These. Everyone keeps saying, "Only sales in America matter, not worldwide," but it doesn't matter to 3rd party publishers, especially small to mid 3rd party publishers & indie publishers. Who do you think they're going to mostly side with?

Who says that exactly?

I fall under "everyone", and I don't say that.

Top Bottom