• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces 18.5 million PlayStation 4 consoles sold WW

^This

Look, I've just wondered into this thread after lurking time to time over the past month. And I had a hard weekend on the booze, for which I'm still paying the price. And all I see at the moment is some obscure numbers and talk of Spiderman and Batman.

And none of it is making any sense to this poor hungover soul AT ALL.

So please, just for me; Is Sony

a) annihilating the competition
b) destroying the competition
c) comfortably beating the competition
d) winning, but only just.
e) losing

Thanks in advance.

a for worldwide, d for U.S/UK.

Biker19

Banned
This thread will be in the front page well past the 20 million mark

Not if this thread continues to be derailed on such ridiculousness (in which a moderator will wind up locking it).

Posters like CozMick just nailed on what's been happening so far.

there will probably be another thread for 20 million and it'll be like a sequel to this thread, much like that 6 million thread you just pointed out. and i'm assuming there was one for 10 and 13.5 as well.

Sharpeye

I like how the Middle East is almost on par with Japan in ps4 sales, it just shows how much strength Sony has over the rest of the world compared to MS or even Nintendo.

^This

Look, I've just wondered into this thread after lurking time to time over the past month. And I had a hard weekend on the booze, for which I'm still paying the price. And all I see at the moment is some obscure numbers and talk of Spiderman and Batman.

And none of it is making any sense to this poor hungover soul AT ALL.

So please, just for me; Is Sony

a) annihilating the competition
b) destroying the competition
c) comfortably beating the competition
d) winning, but only just.
e) losing

Thanks in advance.

f) THWIP!

Welfare

Okay, so do you have XB2 shipments from Q2 and Q3 2013? That, with the YOY drops, should give us a decent idea of how much XB2 shipped in 2014.
Yes I do.

Q2 (April - June)

2006: 1.8m
2007: 700k (-61% YOY)
2008: 1.3m (+86% YOY)
2009: 1.2m (-8% YOY)
2010: 1.5m (+25% YOY)
2011: 1.7m (+13% YOY)
2012: 1.1m (-35% YOY)
2013: 1.0m (-9% YOY)
2014: The fated Xbox Family shows up. Both Xbox One and 360 shipments = 1.1m

Q3 (July - September)

2006: 1.0m
2007: 1.8m (+80% YOY)
2008: 2.2m (+22% YOY)
2009: 2.1m (-5% YOY)
2010: 2.8m (+33% YOY)
2011: 2.3m (-18% YOY)
2012: 1.7m (-26% YOY)
2013: 1.2m (-29% YOY)
2014: The fated Xbox Family shows up. Both Xbox One and 360 shipments = 2.4m

Percy

Banned
It pulled in $700 mill, which considering its budget and spiderman's BO expectations, was less than flattering.

29y0cuw.jpg

EDIT: why aren't we allowed to use tinypic?

What were it's box office expectations set at?

Grinchy

Banned
Wa?

Spiderman 2 is (justly imo) considered one of the greatest superhero movies ever made alongside TDK, X2, First Class,Iron Man and The Avengers (I would now add The Winter Soldier to this list).

Have you watched it recently? I enjoyed the first 2 around the time they came out. I watched the whole trilogy recently and they are just awful movies. The 2nd one might be the best of the three, but being the turd with the least corn stuck inside of it is hardly worth praising.

I am the black sheep here, I prefer the ASM series. I feel it is punished for being released in the era of MCU. Sam Raini's spiderman movies weren't that great and part 3 should be burned in fire. That jazz club scene...
It's surprising to me that anyone could have enjoyed watching ASM2. If you said you just enjoyed the first ASM, I'd understand that on some level. The second one is so bad it belongs on the level of movies like The Love Guru.

Not if this thread continues to be derailed on such ridiculousness (in which a moderator will wind up locking it).

Posters like CozMick just nailed on what's been happening so far.

no one ever said xbone shipped 75m+ unless that was intentionally an exaggeration.

Alo0oy

Banned
I like how the Middle East is almost on par with Japan in ps4 sales, it just shows how much strength Sony has over the rest of the world compared to MS or even Nintendo.

It's not the entire ME, just the GCC countries, which are Bahrain/Kuwait/UAE/Saudi/Qatar/Oman, 1m sold to a 50m population is pretty decent.

Have you watched it recently? I enjoyed the first 2 around the time they came out. I watched the whole trilogy recently and they are just awful movies. The 2nd one might be the best of the three, but being the turd with the least corn stuck inside of it is hardly worth praising.

It's surprising to me that anyone could have enjoyed watching ASM2. If you said you just enjoyed the first ASM, I'd understand that on some level. The second one is so bad it belongs on the level of movies like The Love Guru.

I enjoyed the first one, the second one came out at the time I had broken up with my gf. It gets a pass for sentimental reasons and not on its own merits.

OT: Sony has to be quickly approaching 20 million. I don't think that the PS4 will experience a system seller in the form of a AAA game this year. I honestly think something like NMS or Morpheus would fill that role should it ever be needed

This thread has long since run it's course. No idea why it's still even up.

a lot of people LTTP had questions. serversurfer was doing a good job answering as many as he could.
OT: Sony has to be quickly approaching 20 million. I don't think that the PS4 will experience a system seller in the form of a AAA game this year. I honestly think something like NMS or Morpheus would fill that role should it ever be needed

persona 5? bloodborne? and last but not least.... Uc4?

a lot of people LTTP had questions. serversurfer was doing a good job answering as many as he could.

persona 5? bloodborne? and last but not least.... Uc4?

The system isn't selling on the strength of one game alone. It is the ability to play tgr vast majority of the most popular games around at a reasonable price and then the bonus of exclusives. The average Joe isn't looking for persona 5 or bloodborne. UC4 could be a system seller, but the holiday release makes it much harder to determine how much of it is uncharted and how much is the holidays

The system isn't selling on the strength of one game alone. It is the ability to play tgr vast majority of the most popular games around at a reasonable price and then the bonus of exclusives. The average Joe isn't looking for persona 5 or bloodborne. UC4 could be a system seller, but the holiday release makes it much harder to determine how much of it is uncharted and how much is the holidays

maybe not, but it's possible that quite a few Ps3 owners are holding back from dropping 4 blocks because they plan on buying their Ps4 when Uc4 drops. That's what I would call a system seller for an established IP. Uc4 will probably be releasd in the midst of a dozen AAA multiplat games but its the exclusive games that really determine which platform is the more attractive purchase.

So does AMD's statement only include X1 and PS4, or does it involve the 360 as well? Wait what about the WIIU, doesn't that have an AMD chip in it? Is that included as well?

Maybe we should ask Spiderman.

I don't think they'd announce it anyway. Even though it is another milestone it is fairly close to the 18.5 number. They'll probably wait till they hit 30 mill.

Next announcement (if we put aside the shipping figures that will be made available once the company publishes its financial reports, in a couple of weeks) is bound to coincide with a major video games event, such as E3. I see no reason for them to update us in the meantime.

Alo0oy

Banned

If Uncharted 4 isn't a system seller, then no game is, the only exclusives between X360 & PS3 that sold better than UC3 were Gran Turismo & Halo, & they only sold 3 more million units at most. Also, very few multiplatform titles sell anywhere near ~7m, even though they're on three platforms at the least.

maybe not, but it's possible that quite a few Ps3 owners are holding back from dropping 4 blocks because they plan on buying their Ps4 when Uc4 drops. That's what I would call a system seller for an established IP. Uc4 will probably be releasd in the midst of a dozen AAA multiplat games but its the exclusive games that really determine which platform is the more attractive purchase.

If Uncharted 4 isn't a system seller, then no game is, the only exclusives between X360 & PS3 that sold better than UC3 were Gran Turismo & Halo, & they only sold 3 more million units at most. Also, very few multiplatform titles sell anywhere near ~7m, even though they're on three platforms at the least.

I think you both misunderstand me. UC4 will sell great to current PS4 owners and new purchasers alike. But due to the sales trajectory of the console, the game will be released to over 30 million owners with more flooding in. If the PS4 sells an additional 8 million units in 4th qtr 2015, will it be due to Uncharted, a possible price drop, other games, we don't know. It will sway purchasers, but the days where we can look at one game and say it's the cause for a system's success to the masses seem to be long gone

Next announcement (if we put aside the shipping figures that will be made available once the company publishes its financial reports, in a couple of weeks) is bound to coincide with a major video games event, such as E3. I see no reason for them to update us in the meantime.
well, the 18.5 announcement didn't come after an event, did it? It was just the after-holidays sales mark.

But yeah, I say next announcement will be at E3 or something. That is the next big event this year yeah?
But is WiiU considered a new gen console?
Yes, but its hardware has a lot more in common with the last gen consoles. Just like its predecessor.
This.

Although, I think gow3 sold better than the uncharted games.

but the days where we can look at one game and say it's the cause for a system's success to the masses seem to be long gone
when has THAT ever happened? no one game has ever helped a console become a success as far as I can remember, only help in its steps to becoming the success.

Javin98

Banned
well, the 18.5 announcement didn't come after an event, did it? It was just the after-holidays sales mark.

But yeah, I say next announcement will be at E3 or something. That is the next big event this year yeah?

Yes, but its hardware has a lot more in common with the last gen consoles. Just like its predecessor.

This.

when has THAT ever happened? no one game has ever helped a console become a success as far as I can remember, only help in its steps to becoming the success.
Well, technically, the WiiU is still a current gen console. Console generations are not defined by power but rather the release of each console after the last (which is not a slim revision) is considered the next generation.

Andodalf

Banned
You forgot gears of war and last of us. And 3 more million is a freaking ton. Also Gt prologue/ 5 sold a crap ton more than any other exclusive.

Well, technically, the WiiU is still a current gen console. Console generations are not defined by power but rather the release of each console after the last (which is not a slim revision) is considered the next generation.
Not technically, yes, I acknowledge the Wii U as a current gen console, but I beg to differ about the generation not being defined by power. They are, to a certain extent. And that's the reason why Nintendo's been losing 3rd party support.
You forgot gears of war and last of us. And 3 more million is a freaking ton. Also Gt prologue/ 5 sold a crap ton more than any other exclusive.

Yes, but it's lost a lot of momentum. Polyphony took their sweet damn time developing the game, and it underperformed at launch even though it sold great. Then they release the next one NOT on Ps4 for whatever dumbass reason and that was overshadowed as well.

You must be younger... Halo on the original Xbox is the best modern example of this. Call of duty 2 had an almost 75% attach rate during the launch year of the 360. San Andreas absolutely sold PS2s.

Those days might be gone, but hard to say the game that will do it next.

But there has absolutely been games that sold systems.

You must be younger... Halo on the original Xbox is the best modern example of this. Call of duty 2 had an almost 75% attach rate during the launch year of the 360. San Andreas absolutely sold PS2s.

Wii Sports?

:p

Well, the man's statement started with "the cause of a system's success" Halo was most definitely the Xbox's killer app, but would you call the console a "success"? I'm not saying it's not, but there weren't that many other games that did such a thing for the Xbox. The Ps2 had more games in general and just like you said with San Andreas, a ton of people bought the console just to play that game, and there may have been others but they get overshadowed because games like GTA are bigger than others.

BTW, I just had my 24th birthday 6 days ago.

Wii Sports?

:p

For sure, but then throw on SMB for the NES too.

Well, the man's statement started with "the cause of a system's success" Halo was most definitely the Xbox's killer app, but would you call the console a "success"? I'm not saying it's not, but there weren't that many other games that did such a thing for the Xbox. The Ps2 had more games in general and just like you said with San Andreas, a ton of people bought the console just to play that game, and there may have been others but they get overshadowed because games like GTA are bigger than others.

BTW, I just had my 24th birthday 6 days ago.

Happy birthday.

System seller has little to do with a platform "winning" or not. The Xbox sold far more units with Halo than it would have otherwise. Anyways...

Happy birthday.

System seller has little to do with a platform "winning" or not. The Xbox sold far more units with Halo than it would have otherwise. Anyways...

Thank you.

And, fair enough. Perhaps there is some disparity on what someone considers a system seller. If there's someone who has yet to buy a Ps4 because they're waiting for Uc4 to release (and there's potentially hundreds of thousands of others like that person), I'd classify it as a system seller.
The Artisans crazyyy posts
1%

& finally

Spiderman
I wasn't the only one, bub.

This.

Go recheck this, please.

no one game has ever helped a console become a success as far as I can remember, only help in its steps to becoming the success.

Baffling statement. Go recheck, please.

Yes, but it's lost a lot of momentum. Polyphony took their sweet damn time developing the game

See above. GT7 will come out and move just as many units at P/5. You'd have more of an argument with Halo.

Most of the time when I read your posts, it just looks like you haven't actually checked anything and are just saying things off the top of your head. You're not the only one that does this obviously, but the statement above at least are pretty easy to google.

Yes. This year is going to be crazy well for Sony. Then again, xbone's also getting a lot of stellar exclusives as well.

So 2015 will be very competitive.

Define very competitive, because it's really only one region where the gap is simply not as wide as the others.

Uncharted is a system seller, as is GOW, Gears, Halo, Gran Turismo and Mario/Zelda. Those are games that people will buy systems for. You can probably throw TLOU2 up there too. If Destiny bundles and MGS4 bundles cause spikes, I'm not sure why any of the above games wouldn't.

No Man's Sky isn't really a fair comparison, nor is an unproven add-on, regardless of how anyone feels about it's chances. Mass market consumer is more aware of Uncharted because its a best-selling franchise. It's like saying Ori and Cuphead will move more systems than Halo because reasons.

Go recheck this, please.
I said I thought it sold better but I wasn't sure. It was an established IP and probably Sony's second biggest after GT. If I'm wrong then fine, I'll stand corrected.

Baffling statement. Go recheck, please.
I don't get what's wrong with that. Games can be system sellers, but unless they're bundled and the game ends up selling 50m+ because of that like Wii Sports, then it is only part of the console's success. An integral part, yes, but it is a culmination of a bunch of other games that the console sells for as well.

See above. GT7 will come out and move just as many units at P/5. You'd have more of an argument with Halo.

Most of the time when I read your posts, it just looks like you haven't actually checked anything and are just saying things off the top of your head. You're not the only one that does this obviously, but the statement above at least are pretty easy to google.
Well I know I've said some crazy things early on in this thread due to naiveness about the market & industry, but I don't go and look up information for every single thing that I discuss with everyone and yes, maybe I should do it more often.

Define very competitive, because it's really only one region where the gap is simply not as wide as the others.

I just meant that there are a lot of highly anticipated games coming out on both consoles. On a side note, someone said in one of the Uc4 threads, Halo 5 may still trounce Uc4 in sales in the states, although in my opinion Uc4 has a chance of beating its worldwide sales this year

By the way, isn't it both the U.S and the U.K?

I don't get what's wrong with that. Games can be system sellers, but unless they're bundled and the game ends up selling 50m+ because of that like Wii Sports, then it is only part of the console's success. An integral part, yes, but it is a culmination of a bunch of other games that the console sells for as well.

Not exactly. There are absolutely tipping point games, they differ for different audiences, for some, it's going to be Bloodborne, but typically the bigger proven franchises, like Gears, Halo, GT etc releasing earlier in a generation moves hardware. They don't have to be bundled.

I just meant that there are a lot of highly anticipated games coming out on both consoles. On a side note, someone said in one of the Uc4 threads, Halo 5 may still trounce Uc4 in sales in the states, although in my opinion Uc4 has a chance of beating its worldwide sales this year

By the way, isn't it both the U.S and the U.K?

Circumstances have changes since then though. Halo was selling to the defacto go-to console of choice for the US last time around, and then the following happened:

Halo 4 - There's a famous online chart that explains this.
MCC - There's multiple threads than explain how disparate the experiences are, from "it works sometimes" to "refund".
XB1 - No longer market leader.

So releasing into that environment where both brands are damaged is a bit different than before. It takes a lot to damage the brand power of something like it, and its still really popular. But it's no longer a foregone conclusion. I'm not sure about US sales, there's an argument that can be made for both sides.

Also, it's pretty much only the US. Sony outsold them in the UK for Nov/Dec, and since they lost Nov, they won Dec by a significant amount to do this. So US is the main battleground.

I'd say yearly shipments will certainly be over 4 million for the Xbox One with at least half the number being shipped in Q4 alone.
Err, 4M worldwide for all of 2014? That sounds low, even to me. =/

I made this post a while back- http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=135616405&postcount=101

It's quite funny because I made the post saying ~7.35m and then Arstechnica posted exactly what I posted a few days later. http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/...th-at-least-65-percent-of-two-console-market/
The quality of Ars has seriously gone downhill since the days of Stokes and Siracusa. Yeah, it's hilarious. /sigh

I have no insight in the AMD/Microsoft situation in particular, but licensing of silicon designs usually is done that way. For the Wii's Hollywood GPU, AMD knew the exact day when the 50 million mark was reached.
http://ir.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74093&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1306191
Interesting. That certainly sounds like AMD have a fair bit of insight in to what their customers are actually shipping. Maybe they are getting paid for each unit shipped, even if it's just a bonus of sorts. "Half when you build it and half when you actually ship it," or something like that.

Oh, speaking of AMD and pricing, wasn't it mentioned they've now moved in to long term contracts with lower rates? Cheaper APUs and falling prices on GDDR5 make me more confident Sony could hit $299 by the end of the year, even if it brings them back to that "profitable, with the initial sale" state they were in at launch.

As was already pointed out, AMD's <30M statement was made half a month later than Sony's 18.5M announcement. By that time, Sony was likely past 19M. So absolute best case for Microsoft would be 10.9M.
But AMD were talking about year-end numbers, just like Sony. (Technically, Sony's numbers also included the remainder of the then-current business week.)

Yes I do.
Excellent, and wow, less than a 10% drop in Q2 2013. 29% in Q3 2013 is a little more in line with what we saw for Q4 2013 and Q1 2014. Sooooo for 2014… maybe figure 30% drops in Q2 and Q3, and we've already figured 40% for Q4?

That'd make their estimated* 2014 XB2 shipments:
Q1 0.8M
Q2 0.7M*
Q3 0.8M*
Q4 2.1M*

Leaving this for XB3:
Q1 1.2M
Q2 0.4M*
Q3 1.6M*
Q4 ????

So that would be 3.2M* Bones shipped Jan-Sep. By comparison, Sony shipped 3.0M PS4s Jan-Mar. Then another 2.7M, and then another 3.3M. So Sony shipped 9M to Microsoft's 3.2M* in the same period.

That all sound reasonably solid? Even if we bump Q2 and Q3 to 40% drops, that would only add 200k to XB3's total, giving them 3.4M* shipped Jan-Sep.

Top Bottom