• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces 18.5 million PlayStation 4 consoles sold WW

Bgamer90

Banned
Wow...that's a fucking lot...but I guess I don't really know what else to add? So does that make it the fastest selling one ever? Or does that honor still belong to the Wii?

Pretty sure it still belongs to the Wii.

Wii hit 20 million in January 2008 if I remember correctly.

Arttemis

Hot damn, this is an exciting generation! I can't wait for the software to flow as strongly as these sales figures.

Vashetti

Banned
The Return of the King

0de7e57572e22b6e4c77ed24f6884065.gif

MJPIA

PlayStation 4 "(PS4 ™)
Achieved world total actual sales number 18.5 million units
~ PS4 ™ actual sales 4.1 million units in the New Year's holiday shopping season of 2014,
"PlayStation Plus" total subscribers number 10.9 million a topped ~

Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) to sell "PlayStation 4" (PS4 ™), in the New Year's holiday shopping season ※ 1 of 2014, to achieve a 4.1 million units ※ 2 or more of actual sales, 2015 1 worldwide total actual sales volume has exceeded 1,850 million units ※ 3 in the month the 4th time. Continue, has continued to spread expansion in history "PlayStation" hardware fastest ever.

In addition, masterpiece game on PSN℠ that can be enjoyed on the number and time of without limitation free or "free play", that can be network play and cooperation play in other players and PS4 ™ "online multiplayer", etc., subscriber only features the number of subscribers and benefits membership services "PlayStation plus" available (PS Plus) has exceeded the total 10.9 million at January 2, 2015.

"Even in this New Year's holiday shopping season, many of you I am very pleased that the guests support the PS4 ™ to users of everyone. Also with to deliver a compelling title this year, and offer a more complete service is, we will continue to provide new value-added to the PS4 ™ as the best playground. "
(President and Group CEO Andrew House)

In addition, for the PS4 ™ for title, received a great deal of support from the user's everybody and software makers like the whole world, total actual sales number of dealer-like and PlayStation®Store, the time January 4, 2015 in we exceeded 8,180 million copies ※ 3. To do this, include the actual sales 1,780 million copies ※ 2 of the end of 2014, beginning of the year shopping season ※ 1.

From this year also software makers like and SCE Worldwide Studios (SCE WWS), "Street Fighter V" (Capcom), "FINAL FANTASY XV" (Square Enix), "Persona 5" (Ltd. Atlas), "METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN" (Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.), "The Tomorrow Children", "The Order: 1886", "Bloodborne" (SCE WWS), also indie (independent) developers "SAME bleed" (active Gaming Media Co., Ltd.) from like, "Galak-Z" (17 Bit Inc.), "Mighty No.9" (Corporation comcept) etc., is scheduled to be one after another launch of a wide range of genres title . ※ 4

SCE will now also in more customers, so you can enjoy the world of entertainment in the unique "PlayStation", will continue to strongly promote the further dissemination and expansion of PS4 ™.

PS4 ™ are sold in countries and regions ※ 5 of the current 123.

Or more

※ 1. Japan and Asia January 4, 2015 from November 24, 2014, North America, Latin America, Europe until January 3, 2015 from November 23, 2014.
※ 2. Actual sales volume is estimated by the Company investigation. Figures from November 24, 2014 to January 4, 2015 in Japan and Asia, North America, Europe and Latin America is a number of from November 23, 2014 until January 3, 2015.
※ 3. Actual sales volume is estimated by the Company investigation. Japan, figures from February 22, 2014 to January 4, 2015, North America from November 15, 2013 until January 3, 2015, Latin America, Europe from November 29, 2013 2015 until January 3rd year, Asia is a number of from December 17, 2013 to January 4, 2015.
※ 4. Title and number of titles to be released may vary by region.
※ 5. 2014 年 12 月 2 日 time.
Ran it through google translate.
Good going Sony.

Holy fuck. That's incredible. I just bought one myself, but I thought people guessing up to 20 million by the end of last year were hugely overestimating things. I guess not. Nothing stops this train.

Wow! Great numbers considering it's only been out a year. Great comeback after lackluster early PS3 sales. I will likely hold of on heading further into next gen territory until later this year however.

ocean

Banned
Someone should update that chart with the console's LTD sales by months to compare. It'll be interesting to see how it's trending a year after launch and compare it to other console's progress. Is this thing still selling faster than the Wii did?

Boke1879

1.5 million from that glorious 20m mark.

Can the PS4 hit 100m by the end of year 5?

It all depends on the games imo. This year with their first party and 3rd party marketing agreements. They have a real chance to bolster their library and have people take notice. I also believe we'll see a price cut at some point this year as well.

But once you get games like Gran Tourismo that appeal to a wide audience. FF and KH for the Japanese market. If the PS4 can keep selling and not have any major drop offs I can see it selling more than the PS3 at least.

Wow, and I thought I was being optimistic with a guess of 18m max.

Well deserved too. Easily one of the top 3 best games systems I've ever owned.

Javin98

Banned
Wow, the PS4 is selling very well indeed. Though it failed to hit my initial predictions of 20M sold by early January, it is still close enough. Is this number actually shipped or sold through? Shipped numbers would be less impressive. And was this number taken post Christmas?

Anyway, can someone align the sales of the PS4 with PS2 and Wii? Interesting to see how well the PS4 is really doing compared to the other two

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I think I've seen software sales there as well. We need an English version of the PR to be sure.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
4.1 million sold in the holiday season alone, which ran from November 23 - January 3 in America, Europe and Latin America. For Japan and Asia that period was November 24 - January 4th.

Top Bottom