• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces 18.5 million PlayStation 4 consoles sold WW

Well, get over it.
Well, it's not like I lose sleep over it but it's been over 6 years. Probably never going to forget it.
Are you serious? Unless you are a fanboy what is hard to get over that announcement? How does it affect your enjoyment when it is coming to your platform?
Tekken was my Halo, which is to say that was the game in my youth where my friends with Xboxes would know about it because of me, like, my PlayStation series game of preference. The fact was Tekken was once an experience exclusive to PlayStation, it became a huge franchise just on that platform and it not being exclusive anymore devalued that platform.

Wait wat. I did not know this. I just assumed it was announced with the ps4 version. I still think there will be a Xbone version for the west but it feels like the XBone is a secondary thought for the big J pups.

No console version has officially be announced, but Harada basically has said on his twitter than the Ps4 version will be the main development platform.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
What it means is that it may end up not even being viable to port fighting games to the XB1 especially if one of the major players in fighting games has decided that their fighting games will be PS4 exclusive. You think Sony is helping to fund Street Fighter V for no reason? No, Street Fighter being console exclusive to PS4 is a huge neon sign saying "If you are into fighting games, you will have to buy this console."
Yes, the motivation by Sony is to get that segment to consider the PS4 the definitive console for fighting games.

Whether or not it is viable to port needs to be individually assessed by each publisher for their respective title.
To just blanket go there is no market at this point seems very premature.

He was forced to skip it because Capcom would not invest in SF5 (not until 2018 from his words). Sony put forth the dough to invest in the game so no xbone version.
And I think Sony's development assistance is the biggest factor in the decision of skipping the Xbone.
It seems unlikely MS didn't have still more money to offer, so it seems equally unlikely that money was the primary factor in the decision.

I find it stranger to believe that a company like Capcom would not release on viable platforms due to cross-platform play rather than the obvious risk reduction by taking external funds.
Some companies respect the wants and needs of their artists. Perhaps Capcom is one of them? Again, if it was all about the money, it seems like MS would've won out. Yet they didn't, much to Ono's delight, it seems.

Let's accept that as being true. So what?
It would mean that XBone's installed base is even less relevant in this situation that it would normally seem.

Who cares? As a gamer and not a businessman why should it matter if the game is multiplat?
Speaking as a gamer, an exclusive game can generally be built to higher quality, with fewer bugs, in less time, and at lower cost. Plus, if it's XBox we're eliminating from the equation, that means we're eliminating parity clauses as well, which can further reduce the quality of my PlayStation game just because MS decide that's better for them that way. All of that means I get a better game, sooner. The reduced cost for the developer means better profitability, which in turn increases the chance of sequels and stuff for me.

I imagine most of that stuff sounds pretty good to a lot of developers too.

After experiencing all the lows of multiplatform shenanigans with Sony last gen I don't really care about exclusivity that much any more.
Funnily enough there's a guy at work who doesn't seem to get involved with fanboy stuff at all, then suddenly went on a mini rant about how Metal Gear Solid 5 isn't exclusive and how it sucks.

I found it amusing.

Chobel

Add a pink hair bow and pink eyebrows to your avatar. Knack can be a hot lady if you let her...

See:

WPYCaS7.jpg

LMAO!!!

Game Guru

Yes, the motivation by Sony is to get that segment to consider the PS4 the definitive console for fighting games.

Whether or not it is viable to port needs to be individually assessed by each publisher for their respective title.
To just blanket go there is no market at this point seems very premature.

Of course, I never said fighting games weren't viable on the XB1, just that fighting game companies are going to support PS4 with fighting games while they may or may not support the XB1 with fighting games.

keuja

I don't understand why people want games to be exclusive you still get the game when it's multiplatform, it's it feels like I'm in the official playstation forums right now. SF5 is a bit different though since it seems capcom did not want to invest in it anytime soon until Sony stepped in.

Because console warz.

Big exclusives mean that their console will sale more, which will incite developers to prioritize the platform even more which means more games, a bigger community etc. Also bragging rights and trash talking the other console. Thats how i see it anyways...

pop_tarts

Guys talk about why Sony's 18.5mil consoles sold is wrong.

I couldn't finish the video because a lot of what they were saying was really just opinions and misinformed info. Some things I didn't feel like they weren't being rational were:
1. USA and UK is the "biggest" areas for gaming and that the other areas didn't matter.
-- Sure they are big, but when you still have PS4 outselling XBO 100k plus units per week I think their view on Global sales is a little off. And yes I'm using ******** since that's all I have.
2. So what if they are 4 or 5 mil (they are around 8 or 9mil) ahead of XBO in 3 or 4 years XBO will be either tied or passed the PS4
-- To be honest I don't this only because 1. PS4 is outselling the 3ds which is amazing and 2. PS4 Globally is still a power house coupled with the XBO still in China and not Globally outselling the PS4 and the PS4 has yet hit China (Probably won't launch for a while)

So what do you guys think?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
^ Don't entertain vids like that with a click

It seems unlikely MS didn't have still more money to offer, so it seems equally unlikely that money was the primary factor in the decision.

Some companies respect the wants and needs of their artists. Perhaps Capcom is one of them? Again, if it was all about the money, it seems like MS would've won out. Yet they didn't, much to Ono's delight, it seems.

It wasn't strictly all about the money. It was about the money, plus all about Sony's open policy toward funding and codeveloping, plus their already close relationships due to the history of the companies working together. Plus Sony's willingness to allow cross platform play.

Anyone can throw money at something, it doesn't take skill, MS seems to have forgotten that

noobie

Banned
Thanks for that. Then would you agree there's nothing to really indicate increased overall demand post-disKinect? Unit sales stayed pretty much on track, with ASP dropping accordingly?

Ono disagrees, and I think his games are reasonably popular in the West.

Also, is "The West" now comprised solely of the US and UK? Mainland Europe is now part of the Orient, I guess?

It's worth noting that unsold consoles don't vanish in to the aether at the end of the reporting period. Some people seem to think that some portion of every shipment is ultimately destined to go unsold, but that's not really how it works. You don't actually ship "extra."

Also, there's a fairly significant lag. The consoles sold in October were actually being shipped out in September (assuming all is going as it should, and they're not still selling stock they received in August or something). The Q4 shipment would actually cover the sales Nov-Jan, more than Oct-Dec.

I think that is the most important point which many people miss. Once you have filled the distribution channels then your shipments are equal to your sales. So 2.6 million sold means 2.6 million will be replenished not 3.5 million or 1.5 million. Until or unless you are expanding your market. Then you need to fill the distribution channel of those countries.

kyser73

I couldn't finish the video because a lot of what they were saying was really just opinions and misinformed info. Some things I didn't feel like they weren't being rational were:
1. USA and UK is the "biggest" areas for gaming and that the other areas didn't matter.
-- Sure they are big, but when you still have PS4 outselling XBO 100k plus units per week I think their view on Global sales is a little off. And yes I'm using ******** since that's all I have.
2. So what if they are 4 or 5 mil (they are around 8 or 9mil) ahead of XBO in 3 or 4 years XBO will be either tied or passed the PS4
-- To be honest I don't this only because 1. PS4 is outselling the 3ds which is amazing and 2. PS4 Globally is still a power house coupled with the XBO still in China and not Globally outselling the PS4 and the PS4 has yet hit China (Probably won't launch for a while)

I think you should stick to gaf sales-age threads for your information.

*sigh*

come on man.

you're trying to correct faulty arguments.

don't do this.

DudeBro gamers are the fucking worst.

I thought it was just one video, but that guy's whole channel is biased for the xbone. And just by the title of his videos, fanboy status.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops

You assume that Microsoft values a fighting game equally as much as Sony does when trying to bring it exclusively to their platform. Given that they have a first-party fighting game doesn't seem likely.

Or that Microsoft was even on the table of this discussion. Capcom doesn't have to be the originator and shop around, they could have just been the party that the deal was offered to by Sony.

Isn't that what Ono said on stage anyway?

Wait wat. I did not know this. I just assumed it was announced with the ps4 version. I still think there will be a Xbone version for the west but it feels like the XBone is a secondary thought for the big J pups.

Well, they never explicitly announced a ps4 version either. However, prior to Tekken 7's announcement, Harada said he plans to continue Tekken on ps4, and he Tweeted that he's focusing on PlayStation (while simultaneously implying they have no plans for a PC version, for those interested in cross-platform play).

Since Tekken 7's announcement, Harada's only talked about the arcade version (location tests, etc.), but the presumption is that it's coming to ps4. There's been no mention of Xbox yet.

Though I may have missed a more concrete platform announcement at some point.

LMAOOOOO IT'S THAT DUDE....nxtgen720 the dude is a hugeee xbox fanboy

and one of the "youtube gaming community" guys or whatever that is

he was also bragging about his pc gaming 10k nonexistent quad SLI TITAN PC but he hasn't posted anything showing his rig yet

So based on the official numbers and my estimates we can see that UK, GER, FRA, ITA, SPN account for around ~5 million units. I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of Europe accounted for an additional 2m+ units. So ROW could be around ~3.5m ish. But I'm really just speculating tbh. We'll never know the exact figure for Asia, Middle East, South America and Africa.

Dobut it. According to this report I have the big 5 accounted for 90% of EU software market in 2006/2007 (Nilsen/GFK data)

http://www.kocca.kr/knowledge/research/__icsFiles/afieldfile/2010/05/02/73472.pdf

EU market outside the big 5 is not that big. For example PS4 was @ only 45k as of end of August, 2014. Markets like Poland and and Ukrain are even smaller console markets apparently.

Asia/Middle East more important than people think, people just assumes they are irrelevant coz we never ever get numbres from there. For example you posted earlier that an estimated 2m consoles are sold in Chinese black market every year, not even in Japan consoles sell that much anymore.

Dobut it. According to this report I have the big 5 accounted for 90% of EU software market in 2006/2007 (Nilsen/GFK data)

http://www.kocca.kr/knowledge/research/__icsFiles/afieldfile/2010/05/02/73472.pdf

EU market outside the big 5 is not that big. For example PS4 was @ only 45k as of end of August, 2014. Markets like Poland and and Ukrain are even smaller console markets apparently.

Asia/Middle East more important than people think, people just assumes they are irrelevant coz we never ever get numbres from there. For example you posted earlier that an estimated 2m consoles are sold in Chinese black market every year, not even in Japan consoles sell that much anymore.

I don't think you can honestly include Ukraine on that list considering that they kind of just went through a war with Russia. =/

Putty

Amen to this statement.

LMAO! Crap Gamer and that other guy in the vid are absolute MS die hards who shovel so much shite, they should work in a shite shovelling warehouse shovelling shite. Nothing but lies and pure spin to appease their agenda.

Just saying. It's a trend.

Genres like fighting games & JRPG's = more sales & audience on PS consoles.
Genres like FPS's such as Call of Duty = more sales & audience on Xbox consoles.

There's always more of a audience for specific genres on specific consoles.
Weren't the best selling versions of ghosts and advanced warfare on the Ps4?
Are you disagreeing, or do you not know what they are?

I don't know what they are

Mendax

Weren't the best selling versions of ghosts and advanced warfare on the Ps4?

I don't know what they are

from urbandictionary (lol):

dude bro
White suburban males, usually 16-25 years of age, hailing from anywhere, USA. Characterized by their love of College football, pickup trucks/SUVs, beer,cut off khaki cargo shorts, light pink polo brand shirts (with collar "popped"), abercrombie & fitch, hollister gear, and trucker hats. Favorite bands include, but are not limited to, O.A.R., Jack Johnson, Dave Matthews Band, Avengened Sevenfold, The Fray, and often crappy radio rap (i.e. Nelly, Dem Franchize Boyz, D4L, etc.). Dude bro's are incredibly insecure in their manhood, which makes them: insanely jealous of their girl friends, overly macho, and laughably homophobic. currently, there is no cure for being a dude bro.
6 out of 10 guys at any predominantly white mall in america.

a "dude" can be positive,
a "bro" can also be positive,
but a "dude bro" is never a good thing.

Dudebro Gamer
Similar to the casual gamer, the dudebro gamer has a very limited game library. A dudebro's game library will likely consist of nothing but First Person Shooters and sports games. Dudebro gamers can often be seen raging online while playing Call of Duty, or playing against their friends in Madden NFL or NBA 2K.

Not everyone who plays First Person Shooters and sports games are dudebro gamers, but if you play nothing but shooters and sports games, then you are probably a dudebro gamer.

Simply put, a dudebro gamer is a dudebro that plays video games.

samar11

from urbandictionary (lol):

dude bro
White suburban males, usually 16-25 years of age, hailing from anywhere, USA. Characterized by their love of College football, pickup trucks/SUVs, beer,cut off khaki cargo shorts, light pink polo brand shirts (with collar "popped"), abercrombie & fitch, hollister gear, and trucker hats. Favorite bands include, but are not limited to, O.A.R., Jack Johnson, Dave Matthews Band, Avengened Sevenfold, The Fray, and often crappy radio rap (i.e. Nelly, Dem Franchize Boyz, D4L, etc.). Dude bro's are incredibly insecure in their manhood, which makes them: insanely jealous of their girl friends, overly macho, and laughably homophobic. currently, there is no cure for being a dude bro.
6 out of 10 guys at any predominantly white mall in america.

a "dude" can be positive,
a "bro" can also be positive,
but a "dude bro" is never a good thing.

Dudebro Gamer
Similar to the casual gamer, the dudebro gamer has a very limited game library. A dudebro's game library will likely consist of nothing but First Person Shooters and sports games. Dudebro gamers can often be seen raging online while playing Call of Duty, or playing against their friends in Madden NFL or NBA 2K.

Not everyone who plays First Person Shooters and sports games are dudebro gamers, but if you play nothing but shooters and sports games, then you are probably a dudebro gamer.

LMAO must be an American thing!

LMAO must be an American thing!

From our honorable siblings in the UK, it might also be a UK thing. There were about 3 people chiming in from the UK, one of whom was from Grimsby or something. Only reason why that chatter stood out to me was because they were talking about how living in their areas was like being in a prison or something.

Felessan

1.23 million from November is sold not shipped, plus you have October (168k), then you factor in what December might be (always been assuming it being flat from November), You get to 2.6m sold quickly, and there is going to be more shipped then sold, especially if MS/retailers overestimated the amount of Xbox's they needed. I can see ~3 million shipped to the US alone last Q.
As shipment itself takes around 3 weeks, sale through should be not much greater than the known shipment as of beginning of Dec. The only question is how much it was over 10m shipped at the time of Nadella statement.
And probably final number will not be far away from this number - not many consoles should be shipped from the middle of December as you might not want to have millions of boxes ready to sell in January.

Kiant

From our honorable siblings in the UK, it might also be a UK thing. There were about 3 people chiming in from the UK, one of whom was from Grimsby or something. Only reason why that chatter stood out to me was because they were talking about how living in their areas was like being in a prison or something.

If you've ever been to Grimsby you would understand.

If you've ever been to Grimsby you would understand.

So I just did a quick Google Maps Street View of Grimsby. While the area looks kind of plain and rather brown in colour, it doesn't look like a dangerous enough area where you would fear getting mugged or whatnot.

Contrast that with the area in Little Tokyo, Los Angeles, California, south of 3rd Street.

While I don't live in Little Tokyo, I cannot justify attending any activities in Little Tokyo past sunset.

So I just did a quick Google Maps Street View of Grimsby. While the area looks kind of plain and rather brown in colour, it doesn't look like a dangerous enough area where you would fear getting mugged or whatnot.

Contrast that with the area in Little Tokyo, Los Angeles, California, south of 3rd Street.

While I don't live in Little Tokyo, I cannot justify attending any activities in Little Tokyo past sunset.

Yeah little Tokyo is pretty creepy at night lol. We see the strangest people after midnight Ramen at Koraku or Daikokuya.

samar11

LA is a big place, which suburbs are you talking about?

LA is a big place, which suburbs are you talking about?

Little Tokyo isn't a suburb. It is an area that I visit frequently for my anime/manga/gaming hobbies.

Yeah little Tokyo is pretty creepy at night lol. We see the strangest people after midnight Ramen at Koraku or Daikokuya.

I wasn't able to schedule some free time to catch the Expelled From Paradise movie at the Downtown Independent in Little Tokyo for the weekends and then all of the subsequent showings were in the evenings.

clicked and deleted tab after 3 seconds

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

That would be me ... and yes, Dudebros are a thing here in the UK too. Having a conversation with them about gaming is soul destroying.

scoobs

Under no circumstance am I watching this video. Their points are beyond stupid from just reading your summary.

samar11

Little Tokyo isn't a suburb. It is an area that I visit frequently for my anime/manga/gaming hobbies.

I wasn't able to schedule some free time to catch the Expelled From Paradise movie at the Downtown Independent in Little Tokyo for the weekends and then all of the subsequent showings were in the evenings.

ok I meant areas. You just confused the shit out of me, you said Little Tokyo then you said LA. WTF

Jungle is the bees knees lol

I frequent Jungle for my special orders. :D

After that, I typically just head over to Kinokuniya, buy stuff and chat with sub-manager Nozaki. He does special orders for mangas that I have an interest in. I think I was the only person who ordered all of Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer years before it got licensed for North America.

clicked and deleted tab after 3 seconds

i pretty much did the same thing, haha

I did one better: I didn't bother. :D

ok I meant areas. You just confused the shit out of me, you said Little Tokyo then you said LA. WTF

No, because there are 2 other Little Tokyos in the US: San Jose and San Francisco.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japantown

If you have only ever lived in SoCal, then you would only know of the one in Los Angeles.

It's really fun how this thread kind of meanders from topic to topic. I enjoy returning to it every day and seeing what you guys are talking about now.

Today we shall talk about forming the Hentai Club. Oh wait, that was briefly mentioned as a joke in the "misogynist buys ridiculous numbers of female character amiibos to spite Nintendo" thread.

Carry on.

Occam

Are you disagreeing, or do you not know what they are?

The Artisan probably doesn't know. Which is why he joined NeoGAF, to have everything explained to him. And I mean EVERYTHING. Because he also doesn't know search engines exist. Don't hold it against him.

Top Bottom