• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces 18.5 million PlayStation 4 consoles sold WW

ZhugeEX

Banned
LOL
Back on topic. I say mid feb before ps4 is 20 mil sold to consumers world wide.

But you're forgetting that PS4 will likely launch in China before February. So even if they sell the PS4 to 1% of the population thats around 13 million extra sales right there.

So we should see over 30m sold through by Feb. Not 20m

Jokes aside. mid-Feb seems like a decent timing.

Chinese speaking regions like HK/Taiwan/SEA should get a CNY Red Packets bump. And unless Sony is terrible at their job, they'll need to sort out their China issue by then, to take advantage of the thicker wallets in February.

Shabad

In terms of audience, absolutely. In terms of software? I don't know by how much. I still suspect the vast majority (95%) of Japanese games is still going to show up on Xbone, unless we're talking about games that wouldn't have made it to the west anyway. Except maybe like Tales.

95% ? More like 5%...
Besides the big guns (FFXV,MGSV,...), I am expecting most japanese games to de facto go PS4 exclusive. And we are currently seeing that, as some have shown you.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
But you're forgetting that PS4 will likely launch in China before February. So even if they sell the PS4 to 1% of the population thats around 13 million extra sales right there.

I have to completely disagree here. It's not going to make much of a difference short term other than 'perhaps' a 1m boost (at best).

I have to completely disagree here. It's not going to make much of a difference short term other than 'perhaps' a 1m boost (at best).

MQx3Md0.png

Jokes aside. mid-Feb seems like a decent timing.

Chinese speaking regions like HK/Taiwan/SEA should get a CNY Red Packets bump. And unless Sony is terrible at their job, they'll need to sort out their China issue by then, to take advantage of the thicker wallets in February.

They're already getting a sort of special edition version of the PS4 with a dragon engraved onto the cover.

http://kotaku.com/first-look-at-the-china-only-ps4-1669715469

I think he's parodying that other guy.

I think it will depend on which direction the wind is blowing that day just how many PS4 the Chinese will buy on launch day.

While we're at it, insignificant China news:

Certain retailers shipped out the PS4 they have on hand anyway.

Which way did they go? MS shipped the Bones destined for China up the Yangtze River. If Sony's ship with the PS4s are going that way too, we're going to have to pray for an eastern wind or the ships carrying the PS4s will catch on fire instead of the ships carrying the Bones.

Well, Sony can't officially comment on them, yet.

Consumers in China, by law, can claim for 2x of their preorder deposit if the product can't be delivered. Most of the major retailers were screwed by this during the brief x1 delay.

I would assume some retailers are shipping the stuff out so they can avoid that penalty.
(Sony has been fully refunding 2x deposits in their own stores, and has offered to do the same for any affected retailers. Earning them some goodwill against MS)

Shengar

The Artisan probably doesn't know. Which is why he joined NeoGAF, to have everything explained to him. And I mean EVERYTHING. Because he also doesn't know search engines exist. Don't hold it against him.

To be fair, a lot of people do this. Maybe it because we gain some social sastisfaction by asking and explained directly rather than searching and reading the cold results from search engine.

Consumers in China, by law, can claim for 2x of their preorder deposit if the product can't be delivered. Most of the major retailers were screwed by this during the brief x1 delay.

I would assume some retailers are shipping the stuff out so they can avoid that penalty.
(Sony has been fully refunding 2x deposits in their own stores, and has offered to do the same for any affected retailers. Earning them some goodwill against MS)

Wow, why do we NOT have this as a consumer protection law in the US?

Daviii

Are you serious? Unless you are a fanboy what is hard to get over that announcement? How does it affect your enjoyment when it is coming to your platform?

Because he's human and he likes to be special. Because that's rewarding and feels good. And that creates increased bursts of dopamine which have a possitive feedback. And eventually you become a fanboy as soon as oxytocine kicks in. And that further increments the positive feedback. Add the male gender into the table and have testosterone bursts also involved further amplifying the effect, plus creating an increased competitivenes and agressivity.

Because like it or not, that sequence of factors is BASICALLY everything the global economy is based around. That's the reason people buy 100K watches and $800 iPhones when they obviously are not even close to need them. That's why people buy 3 titan black cards if they can afford them. That's why social clubs exists, and the closed, the cooler they are. Red carpets. Nespresso. Management workshops. Bose. Sport subscriptions. Political choice.

Get Tekken 7 announced exclusively for PS4 and all of a sudden you're making a lot of people feel special when they're not used to. Dopamine burst. Positive feedback. Oxytocine. Bam. You're a fanboy.

Under no circumstance am I watching this video. Their points are beyond stupid from just reading your summary.

There's some classic moments in there.

At one point the guy with the Xbox Mafia avatar made some calculations trying to show how Sony lied and he says "in the US, PS4 sold 850K Nov, and (est.) 900K Dec, and we'll add 350K global sales for each of those months"
And you're like oh right they don't have a clue how big the market is outside US. But then the main dude says "MS probably shipped 3-4 million end of Nov." and you realise oh they've lost the plot?!

QaaQer

Because he's human and he likes to be special. Because that's rewarding and feels good. And that creates increased bursts of dopamine which have a possitive feedback. And eventually you become a fanboy as soon as oxytocine kicks in. And that further increments the positive feedback. Add the male gender into the table and have testosterone bursts also involved further amplifying the effect, plus creating an increased competitivenes and agressivity.

Because like it or not, that sequence of factors is BASICALLY everything the global economy is based around. That's the reason people buy 100K watches and $800 iPhones when they obviously are not even close to need them. That's why people buy 3 titan black cards if they can afford them. That's why social clubs exists, and the closed, the cooler they are. Red carpets. Nespresso. Management workshops. Bose. Sport subscriptions. Political choice.

Get Tekken 7 announced exclusively for PS4 and all of a sudden you're making a lot of people feel special when they're not used to. Dopamine burst. Positive feedback. Oxytocine. Bam. You're a fanboy.
While your neurochemistry is off, you are not that far from the truthh. People aren't actually that complicated. It does get harder to manipulate things to sell shit tho the older.people are.

Android autocorrect is shit, really annoying.

Wow, why do we NOT have this as a consumer protection law in the US?

<Insert joke about US politicians being corporate puppets here>

There's some classic moments in there.

At one point the guy with the Xbox Mafia avatar made some calculations trying to show how Sony lied and he says "in the US, PS4 sold 850K Nov, and (est.) 900K Dec, and we'll add 350K global sales for each of those months"
And you're like oh right they don't have a clue how big the market is outside US. But then the main dude says "MS probably shipped 3-4 million end of Nov." and you realise oh they've lost the plot?!

So because Xbone is selling like shit outside US/UK, PS4 must be selling like shit too!

No "MS must sell just as good as Sony or gaming is doomed"? I'm dissapointed. Because they sound like ones that would go with that...actually it still is a pretty close race in the US. What? They say that Sony sells almost 3/4 of their consoles in the US like MS but why would MS ship so many consoles world wide? -_-

I'm getting less intelligent just by thinking about those clowns and their wild ideas.

- edit -

So, what are we going to talk about next, it's still monday and NPD doesn't hit until thursday. We can't let this die now, right?

To be fair, a lot of people do this. Maybe it because we gain some social sastisfaction by asking and explained directly rather than searching and reading the cold results from search engine.

As long as search engines don't add animated gifs to their results they are no match for NeoGAF.

I don't understand why people want games to be exclusive you still get the game when it's multiplatform, it's it feels like I'm in the official playstation forums right now. SF5 is a bit different though since it seems capcom did not want to invest in it anytime soon until Sony stepped in.

In the PS3 vs. Xbox 360 some games I wanted PS3 exclusives because the DVD format hurt some games.

To this day I think Final Fantasy XIII turned out the way it did because of the decision to support DVDs, on the heels of the disc-swapping fiasco that was Star Ocean on the 360.

There is no such equivalent on the One vs. PS4, so let them all be multi-platform.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Dobut it. According to this report I have the big 5 accounted for 90% of EU software market in 2006/2007 (Nilsen/GFK data)

http://www.kocca.kr/knowledge/research/__icsFiles/afieldfile/2010/05/02/73472.pdf

EU market outside the big 5 is not that big. For example PS4 was @ only 45k as of end of August, 2014. Markets like Poland and and Ukrain are even smaller console markets apparently.

Asia/Middle East more important than people think, people just assumes they are irrelevant coz we never ever get numbres from there. For example you posted earlier that an estimated 2m consoles are sold in Chinese black market every year, not even in Japan consoles sell that much anymore.

I do understand that the market outside of the big 5 is much smaller. But using numbers from 2006/2007 isn't going to prove anything about the state of the market today. In fact the PS4 in GER, FRA, ITA, SPN has sold about the same in H1 2014 as the entire console market for europe did in H1 2006. So thats some big growth.

And as i've mentioned before, we've seen the EU adopt PS4 in much stronger numbers compared to the PS3 and the europe market has really grown.

Yes, ROW does add up. But its not impossible to believe that PS4 in all of Europe has sold the same as in the USA. (More than 6.5m)

Do you have a source for the 45k number?

I recall there being a PAL report that... came/or was it leaked out, which implies the 90% thing is true... only for XB1. (5 countries make up practically all XB1 sales in Europe)

But not true for PS4.

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist
From our honorable siblings in the UK, it might also be a UK thing. There were about 3 people chiming in from the UK, one of whom was from Grimsby or something. Only reason why that chatter stood out to me was because they were talking about how living in their areas was like being in a prison or something.

I think the UK equivalent of a dudebro is a chav.

Death2494

In November, I think Microsoft started to finally moved some of that inventory that has been stacking up over the year. I could be wrong but the demand for Xbox One is not there like welfare thinks it is.

Javin98

Banned
In November, I think Microsoft started to finally moved some of that inventory that has been stacking up over the year. I could be wrong but the demand for Xbox One is not there like welfare thinks it is.

Personally, I think he is being too optimistic about the demand for the XBox One as well but I could be wrong too

LOL
Back on topic. I say mid feb before ps4 is 20 mil sold to consumers world wide.
Mid February sounds right. And hopefully, The Order 1886 is a commercial success and manages to move more units

Shengar

can you explain this for me?

i don't understand

I worded poorly. I mean, when you're in a forum discussing something, you interacting with people. When some unknown term or anything that stumble upon in the middle of discussion, you just unconsciously asked what it is directly because you feel talking directly to other people.

In my own personal experience though, when I'm in group chat or a forum I prefer to asked the attending people directly because most of the time, not only they just give me better explanation, but also makes me feel closer to someone or a community. When you use search engine, of course I wouldn't feel something like that.

As long as search engines don't add animated gifs to their results they are no match for NeoGAF.
Also this.

It wasn't strictly all about the money. It was about the money, plus all about Sony's open policy toward funding and codeveloping, plus their already close relationships due to the history of the companies working together. Plus Sony's willingness to allow cross platform play.

Anyone can throw money at something, it doesn't take skill, MS seems to have forgotten that
Yes, exactly.

-------------------------

Incidentally, I'd like to take a moment to thank everyone for their kind words of support. I normally don't respond directly because I'm kinda weird about accepting praise, but it is nice to know that I'm actually making myself clear and that I'm not the only one who sees this stuff. So, thanks again. <3

You assume that Microsoft values a fighting game equally as much as Sony does when trying to bring it exclusively to their platform. Given that they have a first-party fighting game doesn't seem likely.
So, first you claim the deal was due entirely to Sony's deep pockets, and now you say MS didn't even need Ono's game. Well, okay.

Capcom doesn't have to be the originator and shop around, they could have just been the party that the deal was offered to by Sony.

Isn't that what Ono said on stage anyway?
Actually, he said that he approached Sony about exclusivity.

can you explain this for me?

i don't understand
A place like GAF allows one to engage their instructors directly. If the lessons raise questions, they can (typically) get answers. Plus, some people just learn more effectively through tutoring than textbooks or whatever.

Top Bottom