• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces partnership w/ KojiPro, New IP, 1st game "console exclusive to PS4"/PC

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
There's actually no word one way or the other regarding future titles. The press release is about the "first" game, which is what you'd talk about when you're a new studio. The PS Nation rumor has been pretty dead on so far.

Can we please stop talking about Ryan McCafferty? Honestly do we need to discuss the dredges of gaming journalism in every thread?

Elandyll

Banned
Fuck exclusives in general and fuck excluding large portions of audience from being able to play the game. In an ideal world, one in which we are not living in, all games should be on all hardware that can support it, performance and control-wise.
I mean even if this game comes to PC, it is a shame Xbone owners who do not have PC or PS4 will not be able to play it.

It was super awesome when MGS5 was announced multiplatform, wish all Kojima's games going forward could stay that way.
I agree but at the same time there was only 2 options if Kojima's next game was going to be multiplat:
Signing up with a big independant publisher (EA, Ubi, Take2, ...)
Or
Find an independant source of financing (equity fund,..)

I think that Kojima is kinda burned out on big Publishers tbh.
If
Looking at things objectively (as much as possible), a Sony partnership for their 1st title was the easy/ logical/ fastest outcome possible imo.
And at least it looks like a PC version would very much be in the cards.

Phamit

What a weird thing to do, the game is probably years away.

but maybe Sony wants to profit from the Fuck Konami/kojima Hype as long the topic is relevant

Also good way to say fuck Konami.

Well can't wait to see what Kojima Productions is doing

Spizz

Banned
How would any of us realistically know who'd he feel comfortable with?
Not sure I can answer that question.
Well of course we can't speak for him, but looking from a bigger perspective, there's certain things that just make sense. I think it's safe to assume he would want to stay in Japan no? So a publisher in which he has easy communication with makes a lot of sense, especially for a project which looks to be AAA.

Sony just seems like the obvious answer, and of course when you have someone like Kojima on board, it's a strong selling point for your console.

Fitts

Just woke up to a group text about this... Wow! Not entirely unexpected, but good for Kojima! I'm sure Sony will grant him whatever budget needed and won't impose on whatever he'll come up with. I hope we'll hear about a Del Toro (re)collaboration soon and they move forward with a horror game, but I'll be interested no matter what it is.

Also, "console exclusive," eh? Hope that means whatever it is comes to PC not only so more people have access to it, but so the upstart studio is able to bank a bit more on the IP as well.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I couldn't watch the whole video, I'm at work, did it say that?

So, this is basically titanfalls situation?

Titanfall was not signed with a platform holder, no. It was also just timed exclusive until the entire project fell apart.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Fuck exclusives in general and fuck excluding large portions of audience from being able to play the game. In an ideal world, one in which we are not living in, all games should be on all hardware that can support it, performance and control-wise.
I mean even if this game comes to PC, it is a shame Xbone owners who do not have PC or PS4 will not be able to play it.

It was super awesome when MGS5 was announced multiplatform, wish all Kojima's games going forward could stay that way.

In your utopia though, you'd want Forza on PC and playstation, and Uncharted on Xbox. It simply isn't going to happen for as long as there are competing platforms out there. Well, technically it could, but the reality would more likely be the first parties massively cutting investment and you'd be left with a net loss of titles.

Dunkley

ENHANCE IT

I can barely read the lines there.

As far as what I can decipher there's:

Chapter 3:
  1. Over here! I'm here!!
  2. Come on, you -----------------------. ----------------------- ahead of you.
  3. That's right! ----------------------- you remember.
    And -----------------------

Anyone wanna help decipher?

Woodchipper

If this was the case even fewer would've bought Xbox One, let alone Wii U. Eventually there would be only one entertainment hardware company, and with no competition things would REALLY become arrogant, and we would get shit for games.

Exclusives are great for the industry in my opinion. The games I've enjoyed the most has all been exclusives, and that must mean something.

VinFTW

Well of course we can't speak for him, but looking from a bigger perspective, there's certain things that just make sense. I think it's safe to assume he would want to stay in Japan no? So a publisher in which he has easy communication with makes a lot of sense, especially for a project which looks to be AAA.

Sony just seems like the obvious answer, and of course when you have someone like Kojima on board, it's a strong selling point for your console.
You make a compelling point.

The wording makes it seem like it's not coming to PC, so that kinda sucks, not to bitter about Xbox missing out, but I guess if this gets the ball rolling and he starts developing for all parties that would be ideal. I always though studios like naughty dog would be amazing developing for all platforms. Hopefully it doesn't work into him developing solely for PlayStation for the rest of his career.

Steroyd

Calling him out for what though? I don't understand his point.

Don't forget that throughout this year we've had:

Konami taking Kojima's of the game box
Konami retroactively taking his name off games that have been out for years on their website.
Nuking the P.T demo from everyone's download list (probably because Kojima's name was on it)
Effectively being under house arrest at work, making it difficult to communicate with his dev team.
Not really being able to really talk to the public.
Lawyers physically stopping him from going game awards
And probably some other stuff I'm forgetting, but remember Kojima's been at the company for decades.

And this guy's first thought when Kojima is finally free of this shitty asswipe of a company is... "Why didn't Microsoft buy him?"

weekev

Banned
In your utopia though, you'd want Forza on PC and playstation, and Uncharted on Xbox. It simply isn't going to happen for as long as there are competing platforms out there. Well, technically it could, but the reality would more likely be the first parties massively cutting investment and you'd be left with a net loss of titles.
Competition Makes the world go round. MS will want their hardware to be more preferable to devs next gen so will invest more in hardware to get the deals that make the £££. Without competition, hardware would stagnate and we would all lose.

I imagine it will be some time before we see Kojimas next game, let alone get to play it though. Bring on 2020.

So this was really supposed to be the end of Sony's PSX conference and not Paragon. What did Konami really get out of screwing over Sony, Kojima, and Geoff for those two days?

The wording makes it seem like it's not coming to PC, so that kinda sucks, not to bitter about Xbox missing out, but I guess if this gets the ball rolling and he starts developing for all parties that would be ideal. I always though studios like naughty dog would be amazing developing for all platforms. Hopefully it doesn't work into him developing solely for PlayStation for the rest of his career.

They say console exclusive. They would just say exclusive if it was a PS4 only thing ;) It's coming to pc's.

maxcriden

I'm genuinely surprised people are as psyched about this given what a mess MGSV seemed to end up being. (I hope he can cool it with the misogynist BS, also.) (This isn't meant to be a drive-by post, though. I'm genuinely curious if people are not at all wary of his next game given how many listed MGSV as their disappointment of the year in the other thread.)

butman

This is amazing!

The question here now is:
KojiPro will have to create a new graphics engine from scratch? Because i suppose that Fox Engine belongs to Konami?

Spizz

Banned

Only time will answer these questions. But I think we can definitely agree that at the end of the day, at least it's great to have Kojima gone from the hell hole that was Konami.

artsi

This is amazing!

KojiPro will have to create a new graphics engine from scratch? Because i suppose that Fox Engine belongs to Konami?

I doubt they will do that, and instead use UE4 or something else.

LifEndz

Really? Maybe I'm misinterpreting it but "console exclusive" means just that. Sony has been pretty consistent and forthright with that stuff this gen. I'd expect whatever it is to be on PC.

pastrami

So PC/PS4. Interesting. This follows on the heels of Helldivers and the Steam leak of Everybody's Gone to the Rapture for Sony funded games making their way to PC.

I wonder who will own the IP though. Sony has been pretty adamant about owning every IP they publish, but I can't imagine Kojima relinquishing IP ownership after what happened at Konami. Is it possible Sony is making an exception? Or am I wrong to assume Kojima would want control?

Exciting nonetheless, even if it's probably a couple years until this partnership comes to fruition. Glad to see Kojima back at it so quickly after the Konami debacle.

Glad he carries on,but hope he doesn't get carried away like he did with MGSV.

And First game of a franchise? Eh, do the first game first and then see if it's worth franchising from. Hard franchise plans turn me off for some reason.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
This is amazing!

Unreal engine 4 would be everybody's first guess. They probably have some of the pre-production finished so they'll want to get started as soon as possible. Release in 2-3 years. If I had to guess it'll be mostly a single player experience with smaller online components.

BokehKing

Banned
Only the first came out of a new franchise is exclusive to ps4?

Then, I have to ask, wtf is the point besides excluding Xbox and PC fans? Lol.

Are we looking at a titanfall situation or did is this just alienating two fan bases for the sake of a money hat?
Cause we will be old and grey by the time a sequel comes out

But Kojima won't age

Nesther

I'm genuinely surprised people are as psyched about this given what a mess MGSV seemed to end up being. (I hope he can cool it with the misogynist BS, also.) (This isn't meant to be a drive-by post, though. I'm genuinely curious if people are not at all wary of his next game given how many listed MGSV as their disappointment of the year in the other thread.)

I loved MGSV, so obviously I'm psyched!

Gbraga

I kinda hope it's a somewhat smaller UE4 project, just so we have something to look forward to in the not so distant future.

Top Bottom