• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces partnership w/ KojiPro, New IP, 1st game "console exclusive to PS4"/PC

lazygecko

There is nothing explicitly stating that this is being released on PC. I don't think "console exclusive" has been thrown around enough for there to be a definite consensus on what it means. I've really come to despise the term. It just feels like a sleazy way to deliberately confuse consumers at this point.

Mr Moose

Hopefully he gets some of the other big names from his team along with him. Is Yoji Shinkawa stuck at Konami?

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/677047694406250496

CWVbSAmUYAEb1_d.jpg:large

Woodchipper

As for when we'll see a game announcement, I'll be surprised if we learn anything from E3 2016. Maybe 2017, and release mid-late 2018?

iMax

As for when we'll see a game announcement, I'll be surprised if we learn anything from E3 2016. Maybe 2017, and release mid-late 2018?

I'd say 2017 at the earliest. This is a lot like the Respawn situation. If memory serves, EA called them out in their 2012 conference and then announced at 2013.

Surprised by the name, woulda thought "Kojima Productions" would be stuck with Konami. Logo makes me think their first game will be a spiritual successor to Zone of the Enders, I hope it's a successor to Silent Hills with Del Toro and Reedus though.

Alienous

I wonder if Konami had him show up every day to work to stare at a wall.

It's amazing to me that I wouldn't put it past them to do that, given the reports we've seen.

Who in their right mind would be mad about Kojima going to Sony?

This is the best thing that could have happened. he will have access tot he best tech and create the games he wants too.

Ooooooooh Kojipro lives! I'm really curious what his first game will be. I've felt for years he's been itching to do something other than MGS. He's done a little thing here and there but this is his first chance to really break free.

CHC

Pretty cool.

"Console exclusive to PS4" also implies PC m, which is nice considering MGSV's performance.

Loving the logo.

GunBR

I think we gonna se at least a teaser in 2016. But maybe only at the PSX

And yeah, the release date will be probably 2018 or early 2019 (it's a Kojima game)

CHC

Ooooooooh Kojipro lives! I'm really curious what his first game will be. I've felt for years he's been itching to do something other than MGS. He's done a little thing here and there but this is his first chance to really break free.

MGS is dead for all intents and purposes. No matter what they do just think of the series as a trilogy or a quadrilogy, depending on your tastes. It's better that way.

Alienous

The rights to Metal Gear belong to Konami still don't they?
Man, that's really gotta be hurtin'.

It's a good thing. Metal Gear Solid V was evidence of the IP being a burden to the type of games he wants to create, considering how far that stretched from the core of the series.

His obligation to make Metal Gear Solid games is severed, forcibly but perhaps that was the only way. Now we'll get to see Kojima influence other game genres like he did with stealth and story-based action games.

He seemed pretty excited about P.T. , so it might be horror next.

Johndoey

Banned
I know it's popular to shit on big third party publishers and it's often warranted, but ever think the problems with Destiny and MGSV were more on Bungie and Kojima Productions? Sure some things may have gotten changed/cut because the publishers were tired of the teams burning through their money, but I wouldn't say every issue is their fault.
People either don't consider this or actually think pubs have some obligation to provide unlimited funds.

Standard disclaimer: Fuck Konami

The rights to Metal Gear belong to Konami still don't they?
Man, that's really gotta be hurtin'.
He knew the score.

watdaeff4

I know it's popular to shit on big third party publishers and it's often warranted, but ever think the problems with Destiny and MGSV were more on Bungie and Kojima Productions? Sure some things may have gotten changed/cut because the publishers were tired of the teams burning through their money, but I wouldn't say every issue is their fault.

Oh from a business perspective I don't disagree with you.

As a gamer I want the best game possible and not one that got chopped up.

And cmon you really don't think it made have played a factor in his decision to partner with Sony?

LifEndz

He looked very skinny and tired to me... hope that he is more relaxed now.

Probably a mix of excitement, anxiety and being nervous. He's been with Konami a long time and now he's starting his own thing and hiring his own people. That's a different type of pressure.

maxcriden

I loved MGSV, so obviously I'm psyched!

Majority of people think MGS5 is amazing. Also, one can be disappointed by a game but still thinks its great.

My GOTY.

Dude didnt wnt to make any more.mgs for like 5/10 years

The story was disappointing, but the game itself is still great. It's not just about Kojima, but his team, as well. Seems like most of the main players like Shinkawa have joined him.

Regardless of what you think of MGSV, the fact that Kojima made one divisive game that is alledgedly incomplete does not erase his past hits.

Thanks for your responses. I understand better now for sure.

BTW, Kosma--I didn't know that. It's too bad he was in a position where he felt he had to make them, then. :/

Draft

Wow. Kojima got a taste of that pc power. Not even Sony moneyhats could keep him off Windows. Good news for gamers.

Alienous

Probably a mix of excitement, anxiety and being nervous. He's been with Konami a long time and now he's starting his own thing and hiring his own people. That's a different type of pressure.

Kojima could create a game where you play as a cereal box and it would be critically acclaimed.

He has nothing to worry about.

iMax

Who in their right mind would be mad about Kojima going to Sony?

This is the best thing that could have happened. he will have access tot he best tech and create the games he wants too.

I guess Xbox fans. But exclusives are never a good thing for everyone.

Melchiah

I'm genuinely surprised people are as psyched about this given what a mess MGSV seemed to end up being. (I hope he can cool it with the misogynist BS, also.) (This isn't meant to be a drive-by post, though. I'm genuinely curious if people are not at all wary of his next game given how many listed MGSV as their disappointment of the year in the other thread.)

I'm personally more interested in this due to possible links with PT than MGS. Just like I'm more interested in TLOU than Uncharted, when it comes to Naughty Dog.

Top Bottom