• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces partnership w/ KojiPro, New IP, 1st game "console exclusive to PS4"/PC

Dragun619

The New Yorker suggests that Konami leaked the news to Nikkei in order to preempt Kojima's announcement.

http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/hideo-kojimas-mission-unlocked?mbid=social_twitter

Man, this is so absurd, That im literally dumbfounded that konami is willing to go these lengths against kojima.

Like, what could Kojima possibly have done to konami to truly deserve this shit. The absurdity of it all since the first friction appeared between them with the removal of kojima's name from his games. Just Ridiculous.

Head.spawn

Man, this is so absurd, That im literally dumbfounded that konami is willing to go these lengths against kojima.

Like, what could Kojima possibly have done to konami to truly deserve this shit. The absurdity of it all since the first friction appeared between them with the removal of kojima's name from his games. Just Ridiculous.

Maybe he wanted to stop making Metal Gear Solid for real this time.

Averon

The New Yorker suggests that Konami leaked the news to Nikkei in order to preempt Kojima's announcement.

http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/hideo-kojimas-mission-unlocked?mbid=social_twitter

I believe that 100%. Konami have shown to be that petty and vindictive. I have no doubt they would pull one last, petty 'fuck you' to Kojima on his way out. I would not be surprise Konami lawyers are at this very moment trying to find ways to sue Kojima for using the name 'Kojima Productions' or some other petty reason.

Remember all the people trying to justify what Konami was doing?

This reads like personal vendetta rather than a company wide shift of focus.

You don't go to this length to fuck over an employee unless it is personal.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Maybe he wanted to stop making Metal Gear Solid for real this time.

Some people don't get this. Creative people can't be locked into doing the same thing over and over again. The IP factory mentality this industry is run by is scary. It caused Bungie to fall out with Microsoft and will likely be the end of i343 if Microsoft doesn't let them do their own thing soon. Perhaps it was the straw that broke the camels back with Kojima.

I wish the video game industry could look to Disney more in how to make IPs. Long term, creative sequels (MCU, Star Wars-stand alone, etc) with the prospect of building a foundation that last and will be cherished for generations to come.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Some people don't get this. Creative people can't be locked into doing the same thing over and over again. The IP factory mentality this industry is run by is scary. It caused Bungie to fall out with Microsoft and will likely be the end of i343 if Microsoft doesn't let them do their own thing soon. Perhaps it was the straw that broke the camels back with Kojima.

Bungie went independent again because Microsoft let it. I don't see that same opportunity being afforded to a studio Microsoft cobbled together with the express purpose of working on the Halo IP.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Bungie went independent again because Microsoft let it. I don't see that same opportunity being afforded to a studio Microsoft cobbled together with the express purpose of working on the Halo IP.

I know it's basically built as a Halo-farm and while the studio might not be independent, the people are. It'll be harder and harder to recruit creative people when you're making Halo 9 and starting pre-production of Halo 10. It'll be even harder to keep creative people onboard. I can see anyone having a split with their company when a creative industry is turned into a assembly line.

Remember all the people trying to justify what Konami was doing?

This reads like personal vendetta rather than a company wide shift of focus.

Looking at the "konami announced new metal gear" thread just awhile ago, you can see some people actually happy to have konami make metal gear without Kojima.

Lol Konami are some vindictive ass holes.

I think they still want to make Kojima as miserable as possible even though he's gone.

Jesus, the man needed a break in complete isolation.
Sad stuff but at least he's moving onto happier times now.

Melchiah

He is setting up a brand new studio, that in itself is a huge amount of work. He likely hasn't even decided on what type of game they are making, and it's not like the studio has been around long enough to have some old ideas sitting around. unless it's going to be a small scale title 2018 is really pushing it unless we get a GZ type prequel. This is not like creating a sequel, unless he is making a sequal/reboot to something he is going to have to create new characters, new assets, develop a new story and new world and then try to incorporate that into a fun experience. These things take years, RAD starated putting together ideas for the order almost 5 years ago and they could only manage to put together a 7 hour linear single player only experience.

In addition to that Kojima hasn't exactly been known for abiding to a schedule or a budget with his time at Konami. This is a big risk for Sony no doubt, it would have been an even bigger risk for MS given that most xbox players probably don't even know who Kojima is.

RAD made their own engine though, and the common consensus seems to be that Kojima Prod. would use someone else's. Eventhough The Order was a smaller scale game, it had a high production value.

Yep. Its a notch in the belt. Just like FF13 was for MS. It wasn't even about supporting JRPG's, it was about taking away that big exclusive from the other guy.

That would not be a problem if they didn't just leave all the Japanese developers that were promised investment and support high and dry right after that. Mistwalker man...its a shame.

Yeah, it doesn't seem to be so much about the games, but who gets what. When the deal goes the other way its significance is belittled by all kinds of speculations, and vice versa, made to seem bigger than it might be when their preferred party picks up something.

It's funny, that according to their narrative, the game could be coming to XBO after a year, but on the other hand, it would take so long to make it won't come to PS4. They even can't get their spinning straight.

EDIT:

On Tuesday, the breakup was made semi-official, in the form of a corporate memo that Konami reputedly leaked to Nikkei, perhaps as a way of preëmpting Kojima’s optimistic statement on Twitter the following day.

That's petty as hell. They already kicked out the guy, and stripped away his work, yet they don't seem to want to stop there.

John Wick

It's funny, that according to their narrative, the game could be coming to XBO after a year, but on the other hand, it would take so long to make it won't come to PS4. They even can't get their spinning straight.

This had me chuckling like crazy. If it's any console that will get replaced by a successor sooner it's the X1.

BreakAtmo

This had me chuckling like crazy. If it's any console that will get replaced by a successor sooner it's the X1.

Most likely. Though if PSVR turns out well I wouldn't be shocked at a PS5 in 2018, since the PS4 is only just capable of VR and Pepe will want a better resolution quick.

robo

new webstore to buy those T-Shirts!!

http://kojimaproductions-store.jp/en/

medias

Yep. Its a notch in the belt. Just like FF13 was for MS. It wasn't even about supporting JRPG's, it was about taking away that big exclusive from the other guy.

That would not be a problem if they didn't just leave all the Japanese developers that were promised investment and support high and dry right after that. Mistwalker man...its a shame.

Yup.

Ryan's really predictable. Immediately after that tweet I posted that the next episode would be primarily about this.

The way he runs Podcast Unlocked is really sort of strange. A lot of the episodes actually focus so much on Sony and the PS4 and how MS has to respond and blah blah blah. It's really weird how he can't just focus on Xbox itself.

There's so much good and interesting about the Xbox One that it doesn't need to rely on what Playstation is doing to have discussion, but apparently Ryan is incapable of discussing it independent of Sony/PS.
Yeah, it follows a path of console specific threads on forums, where people concentrate more on competition and warz. It shouldn't be like that, so that's why I don't follow podcast unlocked. Actually, is there any good Xbox focused podcast?

Shenmue

Banned
Yeah, it follows a path of console specific threads on forums, where people concentrate more on competition and warz. It shouldn't be like that, so that's why I don't follow podcast unlocked. Actually, is there any good Xbox focused podcast?

I mean to be fair Unlocked is good when they aren't trying to bash the PS4 or downplay PS4 stuff or being defensive.

When Unlocked gets guests like the 3 past xbosses that was amazing!

I know it's basically built as a Halo-farm and while the studio might not be independent, the people are. It'll be harder and harder to recruit creative people when you're making Halo 9 and starting pre-production of Halo 10. It'll be even harder to keep creative people onboard. I can see anyone having a split with their company when a creative industry is turned into a assembly line.
This is just weird train of thought. Doing same franchise doesn't mean you are stripped of creativeness altogether. And keep in mind that studios don't ever stay the same, people move around inside industry and new talent come ever year from schools. People can work with same tv series for tens of years. It's not always about creating something completely new.

Melchiah

On a side note, what are the best gaming podcasts? I downloaded few episodes of Podcast Beyond for a car trip, but I just couldn't stand the hosts. It wasn't that much about what they said, I just found their presentation annoying. It might be an age thing, as I prefer a more sophisticated approach.

I've enjoyed Irrational Interviews, particularly the episodes with Guillermo del Toro, and outside of gaming I liked the horror-themed Rue Morgue Radio, that unfortunately had its last episode in 2012.

EDIT: Come to think of it, are there any horror-themed gaming podcasts?

I get the feeling Sony are seeing how KojiPro goes with their first title and then if it's good, they'll buy the studio and place them under the Sony WWS first-party fold.

Makes sense that they didn't just negotiate to own the studio outright from both ends - KojiPro want some freedom and to see how their partnership with Sony goes, and Sony get to assess the new studio's output.

The problem is that that is practically impossible. The number of excellent titles coming out on PC, where they start development, is massive. It simply isn't possible to make so many of them exclusive to console, enough that PC users would stop gaming there and move to a console. Many gamers are doing both since PCs have other uses, different features and gaming paradigms going on. Consoles and PC are not competing in the same way you think they are. If anything, they actually need each other. The two markets end up producing very different games with success varying between the platforms and their audiences
/nod The computer, console, and handheld mobile gaming markets are far more complimentary than they are competitive. There will always be some churn, and that may look like ebb and flow in the short term, but I think that for the most part, people have chosen their preferred device(s). The largest substitutive effect is probably something like the Wii -> FarmVille -> Candy Crush transition, but I'm guessing that's mostly over with by now.

So I think SCE just don't see PC gaming as particularly relevant to them. They're not going to task their first-parties with making PC software, because that's not their market segment. If their second- and third-party friends wanna work on PC, why try to stop them? That poses no significant direct threat to SCE's business, and a happy partner is a good partner. See below for more on that, actually.

I'm kind of just going on what you're writing here rather than a direct listen of what was said, and I know Ryan's writing history is apparently fairly Xbox orientated, but I'm not sure why an industry observer would apparently seemingly so want content creators to 'cuddle up' to Xbox tbh.
To me, it just sounded like he doesn't understand why XBox isn't cozying up to them. He said he needs to find out if MS are even approaching these guys, because if they are, he can't understand how they all end up with Sony.

Kojima: I went with Sony because they get me. I'm half a century old, and everything I've built my life around is now gone. Poof. My first real success came from working with Sony, and they have been my biggest supporters throughout my career. I feel like they're the one constant I have my adult life, so when I feel as though my life has come to an abrupt end, of course I'm going to turn to my closest friends and allies for guidance and support as I attempt to rebuild it.

Ryan: Sure, that makes sense. So like, did Phil not approach you at all? I mean, I know you pretty much said he did, but I guess it was just a really small offer, seeing as how you're kind of a risky proposition? After all, none of your games have really been that successful apart from MGS, so it's not like MS could really justify the kind of investment Sony were obviously willing to make.

Surfer: *facepalm*

I wouldn't be surprised if, in fact, its true. I've speculated that Kojima genuinely wanted to leave the MGS franchise, at least temporarily, on seperate occasions. It potentially caused some friction between the Konami board, which finally lead to the departure.

If Konami really is that vengeful then its a good thing Kojima's employment has expired.

Oh, I forgot my prediction for Phil's response to Ryan:

"Hey, we have amazing relationships with everyone in the industry, and we pitch games back and forth to each other all the time. Kojima-san decided to do this game with Sony, and I think that's great. Like I said, it's all about relationships, so it's important for Sony to try and build theirs. Personally, I'm focused on first party development right now and trying to make XBox the best place to game, on all your favorite Windows 10 devices."

Mivey

"Hey, we have amazing relationships with everyone in the industry, and we pitch games back and forth to each other all the time. Kojima-san decided to do this game with Sony, and I think that's great. Like I said, it's all about relationships, so it's important for Sony to try and build theirs. Personally, I'm focused on first party development right now and trying to make XBox the best place to game, on all your favorite Windows 10 devices."
So in plain english:
"Don't worry, my disciple! Let the silly Jedi play with their toys, while we expand our armada. One day, you and I are going to crush them. Nothing can stand against the dark side of the force."

Jf4FBs6JZhvKU.gif

The whole exclusivity nonsense discussed during Podcast Beyond this week was SMH.

Just because MS wants to pretend ROTR isn't a timed exclusive mean that Sony is also pretending. Unlike FFVII which is "First on PS4", " Console Exclusive" is a different meaning.

Exactly. I know it can be confusing, but Sony isn't hiding a game's exclusivity status. I really don't know how people don't understand the nomenclature they use, especially when it's supposed to be their job.

On a side note, what are the best gaming podcasts? I downloaded few episodes of Podcast Beyond for a car trip, but I just couldn't stand the hosts. It wasn't that much about what they said, I just found their presentation annoying. It might be an age thing, as I prefer a more sophisticated approach.

I've enjoyed Irrational Interviews, particularly the episodes with Guillermo del Toro, and outside of gaming I liked the horror-themed Rue Morgue Radio, that unfortunately had its last episode in 2012.

EDIT: Come to think of it, are there any horror-themed gaming podcasts?

Check out The Game Informer Show and Vidjagame Apocalypse.

AmuroChan

Exactly. I know it can be confusing, but Sony isn't hiding a game's exclusivity status. I really don't know how people don't understand the nomenclature they use, especially when it's supposed to be their job.

The sad part is, IGN had the exclusive interview with Kojima. They got to send two people to Japan to talk to him face to face and somehow came back and got the facts wrong.

LifEndz

Kojima: I went with Sony because they get me. I'm half a century old, and everything I've built my life around is now gone. Poof. My first real success came from working with Sony, and they have been my biggest supporters throughout my career. I feel like they're the one constant I have my adult life, so when I feel as though my life has come to an abrupt end, of course I'm going to turn to my closest friends and allies for guidance and support as I attempt to rebuild it.

Perfect summation. The friggin announcement was in Japanese for Christs sake. It also wasn't coincidental that it was Andrew House in the vid shocking the hell out of many of us with his fluent Japanese. Message sent. We got this guy because we know him, he's comfortable with us, and (to use a figure of speech) we speak his language.

Please be excited for E3.

To me, it just sounded like he doesn't understand why XBox isn't cozying up to them. He said he needs to find out if MS are even approaching these guys, because if they are, he can't understand how they all end up with Sony.

Ryan: Sure, that makes sense. So like, did Phil not approach you at all? I mean, I know you pretty much said he did, but I guess it was just a really small offer, seeing as how you're kind of a risky proposition? After all, none of your games have really been that successful apart from MGS, so it's not like MS could really justify the kind of investment Sony were obviously willing to make.

Is this a legit response or a guess, because if it's the former......

Is this a legit response or a guess, because if it's the former......
Sorry, the second paragraph is my paraphrasing of Kojima's explanation of why he allied with Sony, from the video interview he gave to IGN The third paragraph was my paraphrasing of Ryan's, "But why not MS?" monologue which then ensued on Podcast Unlocked.

So no, Ryan didn't say that stuff directly to Kojima's face, but it would've been only slightly less cynical and disrespectful if he had. Or maybe saying that shit behind Kojima's back after Kojima specifically told us what's up was less respectful, I dunno. Regardless, it seemed like kind of a shitty thing for him to say at all, in addition to demonstrating a fairly tenuous grasp of reality.

jett

D-Member
I didn't listen to it all as I had errands to run.

* Ryan says he was thinking in Baseball terms when he made that tweet with the Sony being the Yankees and Mocrosoft as the Red Sox

* He looked physically ill when they mentioned how Sony's coddling up Tim Schafer, Yu Suzuki and Hideo Kojima. He said he will personally ask Phil about it

* IGN contemplates that the game's 5 years away and may be a PS5 launch title.

* There was some talk about how risky it is to give Kojima this much money on a new IP and that may have been a factor why MS didn't want it

I'll listen to the rest when I get back home.

Those are just undiscovered levels of salt. How can someone be so shameless with their bullshit?

Chobel

So good!

entremet

You know what, it makes sense why "Kojima Productions" was removed from MGSV materials.

There were probably legal negotiations about the name during Kojima's divorce from Konami.

Pif

Banned

He could have mismanaged konami funds into his projects?

Why does everyone assume it is konami's fault? I wonder if it is kojima's fault all the way.

kinoki

I get the feeling Sony are seeing how KojiPro goes with their first title and then if it's good, they'll buy the studio and place them under the Sony WWS first-party fold.

Makes sense that they didn't just negotiate to own the studio outright from both ends - KojiPro want some freedom and to see how their partnership with Sony goes, and Sony get to assess the new studio's output.

You only get to be apart of WWS if you want to. And I don't think that Kojima wants that. I don't think Sony wants that. Right now Sony wants to co-exist peacefully with PC. Kojima wants to grow his consumer base. There is no reason for Sony to get him into WWS.

Raylan

Banned
Perfect summation. The friggin announcement was in Japanese for Christs sake. It also wasn't coincidental that it was Andrew House in the vid shocking the hell out of many of us with his fluent Japanese. Message sent. We got this guy because we know him, he's comfortable with us, and (to use a figure of speech) we speak his language.

Please be excited for E3.
Haven't you guys watched the Tokyo Game Show conferences in 2015, 2014, .....?
Andrew was always there, talking. And he always spoke perfect japanese.

Woodchipper

Doesn't IGN read their own articles? Now the Podcast Beyond crew is speculating that Kojima's game will come out for X1 after a year of exclusivity, comparing it to Tomb Raider. Watch/Listen from the 8-min mark.

http://goo.gl/MJEp3Z
I just saw this discussion on the PS4 IGN app, and man, what the actual fuck is going on? Even the most casual gamer knows what console exclusive means! I'm done with IGN, Jesus Christ..

You only get to be apart of WWS if you want to. And I don't think that Kojima wants that. I don't think Sony wants that. Right now Sony wants to co-exist peacefully with PC. Kojima wants to grow his consumer base. There is no reason for Sony to get him into WWS.
Ehh? Why wouldn't they want to tie down one of the biggest developers ever to WWS? Silly thing to say. I'm sure Sony wants his IPs PS exclusive rather than include PC and to own them as well. Kojima already has plans of turning franchises into other mediums, something Sony is definitely interested in doing so as well.

Melchiah

He could have mismanaged konami funds into his projects?

Why does everyone assume it is konami's fault? I wonder if it is kojima's fault all the way.

What's the basis for that kind of speculation? If he had really done that, there most likely would have been severe repercussions.

Top Bottom