• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces PlayStation livestream schedule & links for TGS 2013

stryke

Didn't realise they'd be another press conference, only thought they had the keynote.

I sincerely hope it's not just a rehash of the SCEJA conference last week.

Samyy

You guys are bumming me out.

Better to temper expectations now then to be incredibly frustrated again after it doesn't show up. I'd look forward to whatever other surprises they might have. Im sure they'll have one thing at the very least we don't know about, otherwise they wouldn't hold the conference.

Better to temper expectations now then to be incredibly frustrated again after it doesn't show up.

It's not so much the disappointment of it not showing up at the event, but more the fact that if it doesn't then our best bet of seeing it is E3, which is about 10 months away. The last E3 still feels like it happened yesterday.

What they said make sense add more to the fact that Sony doesn't need to bring out the big guns as they are cruising with PS4 atm, although the 'wait for ______' is just tiring everyone.

It's not so much as Sony cruising, but it's really simply not the right place to make an announcement like this.

Even if Sony was in a situation of 'need to blow the load', they would've done so at E3 or Gamescom for TLG, even if it was nothing more than a CGi trailer.

Endo Punk

Sony better not get too comfortable on cruise control, that's how you lose your head. They need to stop teasing and just show TLG. Face it the game is only a big deal amongst the gaming media and hardcore audience. Showing at E3 or TGS doesn't make a difference, it will sell exactly like ICO and SOTC which is to say not much at all. So just reveal the game and stop taking the fans for granted.

TLG will either get a week to itself next week where it will definitely get worldwide attention or it will get swallowed up by other bigger announcments next year.

Short answer is yes.

The long answer is that TLG, despite being a Japanese game, simply has too much of a global appeal to be wasted to make its next-gen relaunch at TGS.

It's the same reason why FFXV & KH3 gets unveiled at E3 instead of TGS. It's a different landscape now, and TGS is more suitable an avenue for games that are a lot more local in flavour.

Its quite strange though. Doesn't FF sell better in Japan than any other market? Also, Team Ico games are not massive commercially. TGS should be plenty big to reveal it. If it exists at all in any state to show, they will show it. Its a mess but if they don't show it, it seems pretty fair to say it is cancelled.

Not expecting anything. They will spend the whole conference talking about the same stupid games since February.

Well to be fair they have announced quite a few new games since February.

Many are third party but still count. As do indie games.

There were a few at E3, a few at Gamescom, a couple at their Japan event and I expect there will be a few more announced at TGS.

Showing at E3 or TGS doesn't make a difference, it will sell exactly like ICO and SOTC which is to say not much at all. So just reveal the game and stop taking the fans for granted.

It does, it's called marketing.

Companies/marketing departments ruthlessly track metrics like share-of-mind, share-of-voice, media buys, media clicks through analysis of various elements like social media, various ASP spends, etc. Any form of media, print, TV, internet, social media. You name it.

Part & parcel of marketing is to ensure that they come out on-top of other competitors when it comes to announcements & news. How much are your stuff being talked about, what ratio is it compared to others, intent-to-purchase, positive/negatives.

Why do you think companies make announcements at game shows, when there's nothing preventing them from just hosting their own event for everything? It's because gameshows are still the timing where the media attention for that range of products are the strongest, and companies pay top dollar to be part of that 'timing.'

These are the dark and dirty side of marketing, where marketers crunch more numbers than accountants.

KoopaTheCasual

Its quite strange though. Doesn't FF sell better in Japan than any other market? Also, Team Ico games are not massive commercially. TGS should be plenty big to reveal it. If it exists at all in any state to show, they will show it. Its a mess but if they don't show it, it seems pretty fair to say it is cancelled.

But Ueda and Yoshida have both said it's very much not cancelled, and being developed. Ueda even went as far as to say that Puppeteer and Knack are getting most of the resources this fall, so TLG won't be the focus of development until after they launch. Why would they say something is not cancelled only to have it blow up in their face? Makes zero sense. This reminds of when people were convinced that Final Fantasy Versus XIII was cancelled even though Nomura had said numerous times that it was still being developed.

Hexa

What time are these exactly and will they be live streamed with translators? My Google skills seem inadequate.

18th: pre-TGS SCEJA press conference.
19th : TGS opening keynote "The World PS4 Creates" & Sony TGS stage event

Part 1 of the Pre-TGS was the conference I enjoyed the most of all of this years conferences except the PS4 reveal. Really hoping I can watch these live too.

FF sells a lot in Japan, but global sales of FF are larger by percentage. FF is still a global brand that carries international weight, and thus it's more suited at a global event like E3 than a pure-Japanese event like TGS.

And regarding Team Ico and TGS being the suitable stage for it, that's your opinion.

And who are you to say it seems fair to assume it's cancelled? Games get stuck in development hell every now and then, and there's always been games that get released despite that.

Dragon Age. Announced in 2004, Released in 2009. 5 years.
Alan Wake. Announced in 2005. Released in 2010 5 years.
LA Noire. Announced in 2005. Released in 2011. 6 years.

When was TLG announced? 2009. It's only been 4 years since.

Well to be fair they have announced quite a few new games since February.

Many are third party but still count. As do indie games.

There were a few at E3, a few at Gamescom, a couple at their Japan event and I expect there will be a few more announced at TGS.
They announced quite a few indies, which mean nothing to me.

Otherwise it's been Knack, Killzone, Infamous, and Driveclub ad nauseam. Meh.

Nerix

+ The Order: 1886.

And why the hate against exclusive Indie titels? The first impressions of The Witness, Rime, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Helldivers etc. were awesome.

They announced quite a few indies, which mean nothing to me.

First / Second Party are we talking?

If so they also announced The Order which seems pretty awesome.
Then all the Japanese software like Deep Down, Yakuza, FF XV, KH III, SUDA 51's new project. Tons of other multi-platform stuff from western devs.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Sony seems to be holding press conferences every damn week.

Which is awesome, by the way, because all of them have been showing brand new games.

Samyy

And why the hate against exclusive Indie titels? The first impressions of The Witness, Rime, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Helldivers etc. were awesome.

This argument doesn't seem to work well with most people who are complaining about lack of games. Its AAA or nothing.

Cyborg

Cause people like to complain. X360 was praised for the many indie games but when great indie games come to PS4 it suddenly isnt good enough. You know what kind of people thinkmthis way..........

Like we need to worry about retail games on PS4 with so many 1st party studios.

Why isn't Square-Enix showing anything on the Sony livestream? It would definitely help them out, no?

Sony's livestream seems to be limited to games that can be demoed live. That would limit Square's showing to the PS4 version of FFXIV, and that may not be in the shape that Square wants to show it in right now.

Endo Punk

Would love to see more RIME.

That game jumped to my most wanted list.

If TLG can't be there then this would be a fantastic alternative.

I realy hope we see more of The Order.

yeah, isn't japanese love all that knight of the round table thing, King Arthur is a chick in Fate/Zero and Soul Sacrifice main bad guy is Merlin, and the main character of The Order is one of the knight. maybe they'll reveal them more in tgs of all place. lol

Why do you think companies make announcements at game shows, when there's nothing preventing them from just hosting their own event for everything?

Sony announced PS4 and Vita TV, possibly their biggest announcements of the year, at their own event though. I don't think in this era, when social media have as huge impact as other media, where a game is announced matters much. Actually, I found Gamescom and previous SCEJA conferences had more contents than the biggest gaming event like E3.

Endo Punk

Sony announced PS4 and Vita TV, possibly their biggest announcements of the year, at their own event though. I don't think in this era, when social media have as huge impact as other media, where a game is announced matters much. Actually, I found Gamescom and previous SCEJA conferences had more contents than the biggest gaming event like E3.

Yeah we don't even need E3 to create a buzz anymore. Definitely a place for such events but for smaller titles like TLG it's better to showcase on a smaller scale and let it build up from there.

Yeah we don't even need E3 to create a buzz anymore. Definitely a place for such events but for smaller titles like TLG it's better to showcase on a smaller scale and let it build up from there.

ps meeting for ps4 announcement is not a yearly event, we've been waiting for years, just hint of what they're going to show will be met with huge attention, it's not something you can just make out of nowhere for some random unannounced games.

and no one even expecting Vita TV, that was a surprise announcement, what people can expect from that event is mainly just japanese ps4 launch detail and some games. also, vita tv is not coming out to US for now, the attention it got is nothing like PS4

Not expecting anything groundbreaking at TGS.

Please SONY TLG, PLEASE ;_;

what's the point of splitting your conf into 2 part if they don't have new stuff to show. that part 1 tgs show felt like it focused more on 3rd party games. I think we'll be seeing the 1st party japan games. TLG, Demons Souls 2, HSG, some RPG or something.

come on Sony

Top Bottom