• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Announces Q1 Results

Well I think the ps3 probably will, but without japan and a lack of exclusive titles, it seems hard to imagine the 360 doing it unless MS drops it to 99 at some point

I'd say exclusive titles do nothing for people buying 99$ consoles.

Fifa, COD, NFS, NBA, GTA etc is what they buy and Microsft has them. So it's really a matter of how they will play with their pricing.

Altrough Sony has more presence in small markets so I assume they have higher chance of reaching PS1 or better number with PS3.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
SmokyDave said:
Ah, jeez. They might as well go the whole hog and start reporting Vita numbers that they'd have liked to seen instead then.
There was nothing like that for PS3.

Sony used shipments from production lines during PS1 and PS2 era. They switched to standard "shipped to retail" everyone else does sometime after PS3 launch. - which is what Anihawk mentions "fucked up comparisons" because prior years for their systems used different reporting.

PS3 LTD - 81.5 million console
Xbox 360 LTD - 78.2 million consoles

Not many people would have believed the PS3 could beat the 360 a few years ago, but here we are.

allan-bh

This year is decent enough. We still don't know about next year until Gamescom and TGS. Regardless, the rumors point to there being some title in development.

Decent ? What games with major appeal to push hardware sales will be released in 2013 for Vita?

Third-parties don't show interesting in the system and Sony will focus primarily on PS4. I don't see good prospects for the future.

Vita only became a system for niche titles in Japan.

PS3 LTD - 81.5 million console
Xbox 360 LTD - 78.2 million consoles

Not many people would have believed the PS3 could beat the 360 a few years ago, but here we are.

Well you have to account for PS2 shipments in those. PS2 shipments in its final year would have to be above 3.2m (from 4.1m the year before) for PS3 to still be behind. It seems like quite a stretch.

Wow it wasn't even a few years ago Sony was losing billions right ?

Kaz doing work.

Thats especially impressive because they are right befor the start of a new gen. Usually profits go down in that time, because you sell less and less of the last gen stuff and you have to invest heavily in production for next gen.

driver116

I'd consider that a victory for Microsoft, based on the last generation.

25134.gif

Yeah they played their cards right, but they gained well from Sony's blunders with the PS3 and an earlier launch.

Mung

I think it depends on your reference point. If it's 2002-2005, yes, it's definitely a victory for microsoft. They had a weaker brand and were up against the ps2.

If it's 2006-2008, it's a victory for Sony. They had a massively late and expensive console compared to their competitor, and sales were terrible to start with. I think it's impressive they recovered to equal 360 sales since then.

KiNeSiS

Banned
They're not, but most of their new, 'great' IPs... will be on consoles, not portables.

Sony's IP approach is a bit too 'top-down', contributed by the fact that their AAA-team are all console devs first & foremost.

What they need are IPs that feel more 'at home' on handhelds than they are on consoles. They have very little of those, and even then, none are system sellers.

They make new IP on consoles then release a portable version.

Maybe you like little bite sized games on a portable, Vita has plenty of those mainly indies. What Vita needs is huge games games 3ds is incapable of & Wii U will never receive.
R* games, GTA, Midnight Club, RDR, & Max Payne. Good console quality versions of sports games NBA 2k, MMA/UFC, Boxing, Pro Wrestling.
Actual good versions of Battlefield & COD fish. The more as you say "Dude Bro" games the better. If only the ghost of Epic made Gears of War on Vita & PS4.

If they could get a quarter of these Vita would knock it out the box, Rick....

Nikodemos

The PSP is selling much less than the ps2 was globally, so i dont think sales was the reason for the production end
The PSP's next on the chopping block. At least, I think it should be. I see no reason for it to keep existing after the PS4 launches.

zhorkat

Thats especially impressive because they are right befor the start of a new gen. Usually profits go down in that time, because you sell less and less of the last gen stuff and you have to invest heavily in production for next gen.
Their games division went from a 3.5 million yen loss in Q1 last year to a 14.8 million yen loss in Q1 this year.

The PSP is selling much less than the ps2 was globally, so i dont think sales was the reason for the production end
Probably because it would look even more ridiculous if they combine PS2+PS3+PS4 numbers.
:p

Pistolero

This argument is invalid. It's not like being a seller is a hereditary trait passed down from one console to its successor. The SuperNes outsold the competition, yet the N64 lagged far behind...the exemples are numerous.
The real advantage is that MS, even if it would end up being the last in terms of volumes, has actually made more money than Sony in the process. The rest (invoking history, mainly) is superfluous.

Well I'd assume producing and supporting 3 home consoles and 2 portables at the same time is a bit too much.

Plus who knows what was the situation with supply of ancient tech for PS2.

The PSP's next on the chopping block. At least, I think it should be. I see no reason for it to keep existing after the PS4 launches.

Not this year. It sells somewhat decent in Japan and Europe. Plus as long as it isn't losing them money they will want to reach 10 year plan for PSP too.

Well.. PS2 sold 6.4m in FY 2010 and 4.1m in FY 2011. Make sense believe in 2m for FY 2012.

Probably Sony end production to make room on manufactures like Fezan said.

2m is probably too low, I highly doubt that PS3 sales went up last year from 13.9m to 14.5m, I think 3-3.5m is a fair estimation of PS2 sales. IMO PS3 and 360 are basically tied right now, but PS3 sales will begin to pull ahead in the next couple of quarters as 360 continues to slow down and Sony push PS3 harder in developing nations.

womfalcs3

Banned
With price cuts, the PS3 may approach 100 million units over the next few years. That would make it the least selling Sony console, but not by much. That's pretty good for a console that launched at 600 USD and a year after its direct competitor.

Decent ? What games with major appeal to push hardware sales will be released in 2013 for Vita?

Third-parties don't show interesting in the system and Sony will focus primarily on PS4. I don't see good prospects for the future.

Vita only became a system for niche titles in Japan.
I thought you were talking about VITA titles that are coming this year but seems like you are talking about titles with sales potential. There are plenty of interesting titles that are going to be released this year. Enough for me to satisfy this year.

But if you talk about sales potential, i agree that none of them can really push the system expect for Killzone, maybe. And it is funny that you talk about third parties considering that Wii U is in actually in a worse situation here and probably won't ever get better in that regard. Anyways, the third party support isn't great but still not that bad. It is pretty good for this year with titles like FIFA, Rayman and Arkham Origins.

I, for one, am shocked that gaming is in the red when we've seen each playstation system available sell like shit in all territories and they are also ramping up production of a new system. I expected atleast 2 billion in profits. Completely outraged.

In other news, Nikkei and NHK have both said that Sony are going to kill off Third Point's proposal pretty soon. Senior level management don't want to be seen as pushovers. Some compromise will be reached though, nothing was specified.

149 Million in losses in gaming side? PS4 R&D can't be that expensive, at least compared to the whole PS3 Cell mess, and they aren't really pushing Vita marketing that hard. Aren't Sony's own games selling?

cchum

In other news, Nikkei and NHK have both said that Sony are going to kill off Third Point's proposal pretty soon. Senior level management don't want to be seen as pushovers. Some compromise will be reached though, nothing was specified.

Studio execs gone confirmed.

149 Million in losses in gaming side? PS4 R&D can't be that expensive, at least compared to the whole PS3 Cell mess, and they aren't really pushing Vita marketing that hard. Aren't Sony's own games selling?

It's mostly tooling up for production and buying forward contracts for components and assembly line space that causes a loss like this.

allan-bh

2m is probably too low, I highly doubt that PS3 sales went up last year from 13.9m to 14.5m, I think 3-3.5m is a fair estimation of PS2 sales. IMO PS3 and 360 are basically tied right now, but PS3 sales will begin to pull ahead in the next couple of quarters as 360 continues to slow down and Sony push PS3 harder in developing nations.

Yeah, I think 3m-3.5m makes sense looking at PS3 slowing down and maybe Sony doing a final push for PS2 shipments before end production.

Nags

Banned

Yes judging by these figures, Sony is doomed.

It's the cell all over again!

cchum

Software sales are up quarter over quarter. Hardware is down. Sony do state R&D is the prime reason for the loss. It's all there in the statement guys.

AniHawk

not really. the best performing game they've had in a while is the last of us. god of war ascension and mlb the show did well too. gran turismo 6 will make them a ton of cash at least.

sony's releases over the last year haven't been that great. there have been a lot of collections and smaller things like tokyo jungle. i guess twisted metal was their big game last year.

allan-bh

And it is funny that you talk about third parties considering that Wii U is in actually in a worse situation here and probably won't ever get better in that regard.

I talk about that to make my point.

Wii U has Nintendo. Vita has... nothing. Because of that I believe that Wii U will sell more than Vita.

Brofist

Yeah they played their cards right, but they gained well from Sony's blunders with the PS3 and an earlier launch.

Gained well from blunders, kinda like how Sony basically gained their presence in the gaming market in the first place? That's how business works.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
149 Million in losses in gaming side? PS4 R&D can't be that expensive, at least compared to the whole PS3 Cell mess

This is a smaller loss compared to the operating loss for the equivalent quarter in 2006 (somewhere around 270m).

Things went further and further south in subsequent quarters in FY2006 - ultimately to the tune of close to a $2bn operating loss for the full year.

AFAIK Sony is still forecasting operating performance in the game segment for this year that is flat with last year (i.e. about break even). But there are certain relatively large fixed costs when you start manufacturing, with nothing to show for it until sales start.

It really depends on the time scale used but overall it's been an interesting gen with the 3 consoles sitting respectively around 100m, 80m and 80m LTD.

Even with the current downward trend, that looks like a healthy market. Which is also why I don't really buy the "this economy" explanations for WiiU's abysmal performance so far.

Cell was a 400 million investment. 150 seems fine.

Not to mention for the PS4, it's very likely Sony double-downed on other investments like networks, motion-gaming, and other supplementary parts of the next-gen hardware.

miksar

Sony is dominating the market, I don't see Nintendo and Microsoft recovering after PS4 is released. I predict around 25 mln PS4s sold the first year. So much hype everywhere for games like Knack, the new Killzone and inFamous, it will be completely justified.

jonnyp

Awesome job SONY!!!!!
Now I hope Panasonic makes a phenomenal comeback.
Sony TVs are great just not as perfect as Panasonic.

Walmart shoppers your shitzio TVs will never compare.

Japanese electronics >>>>>>>>>> Korean electronics That includes you as well samsung

Completely agree.

Had a look back and the year of PS2 launch Game posted a 50B yen loss.

For the quarter ended June 2000, Game posted an operating loss of 18B yen.

Top Bottom