• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Announces Q1 Results

Cell was a 400 million investment. 150 seems fine.

Not to mention for the PS4, it's very likely Sony double-downed on other investments like networks, motion-gaming, and other supplementary parts of the next-gen hardware.

But right now they should be making tons of money on PS3 hw and sw sales, so the actual investment is much more than 150 million. And PS4 is not as high tech, so to speak, as PS2 and PS3 were at the time. It looks like a much more conservative design...

I talk about that to make my point.

Wii U has Nintendo. Vita has... nothing. Because of that I believe that Wii U will sell more than Vita.
You are talking like Nintendo can save a system alone. They weren't able to do it with Gamecube or Nintendo 64. The Nintendo potential on Wii U remains to be seen and what we have seen so far isn't exactly good. Titles like NSMB U and Nintendo Land didn't exactly lit charts on fire. Lego City: Undercover did nothing as well. Wii U is in a even worse shape than GC or N64 because third parties are pulling their support faster. At least the VITA is still getting some support despite being on the market for close to 2 years now.

Anyways, this conversation is getting silly now. It won't even matter in the end if the Wii U sells 9 million and the VITA sells 8 million.

cchum

This is a smaller loss compared to the operating loss for the equivalent quarter in 2006 (somewhere around 270m).

Things went further and further south in subsequent quarters in FY2006 - ultimately to the tune of close to a $2bn operating loss for the full year.

AFAIK Sony is still forecasting operating performance in the game segment for this year that is flat with last year (i.e. about break even). But there are certain relatively large fixed costs when you start manufacturing, with nothing to show for it until sales start.

True, this money is in US dollars, so it may still be for AMD (not for TSMC, could be GlobalFoundries). Page 9 states that there is a high US denominated hardware cost, so probably not ps3 or vita.

Edit: It actually makes sense that it's GlobalFoundries. Would be much cheaper shipping wise (if partly assembling in US), since they are launching in US.

Celine

nintendo lost $532m in 2012, which was enough to basically end sega back in 2000, so people threw up their arms in panic. last fiscal year and the most recent quarter they've posted operating losses, but because of the weak yen and things related to tax matters, they made close to $160m of that back since march 2012.
What ended Sega hardware lineage was a string of a few years of heavy losses totaling around 170000 billion yen which simply wasn't bearable by a "little" company like Sega.

Back of a cig packet calculation: PSP sold about 100k units in Japan this quarter. Let's say there's 50k units sold between the rest of the world. That leaves 450k units for the Vita.
Vita is very likely to have shipped more than PSP (as it should) but I'm not so sure about your 50K statement.
PSP is still outselling Vita in some market like France.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
PS3 LTD - 81.5 million console
Xbox 360 LTD - 78.2 million consoles

Not many people would have believed the PS3 could beat the 360 a few years ago, but here we are.

In what sense did PS3/Sony beat 360/MS?
Is having some more units sold a measure of winning?
I mean, specially when going from 150+ million to 81 million.. if thats winning then I guess it is a win then :)

not really. the best performing game they've had in a while is the last of us. god of war ascension and mlb the show did well too. gran turismo 6 will make them a ton of cash at least.

sony's releases over the last year haven't been that great. there have been a lot of collections and smaller things like tokyo jungle. i guess twisted metal was their big game last year.

Well, PSASBR sold 1M. Pretty sure Journey sold more than that though.

Duxxy3

Sony is dominating the market, I don't see Nintendo and Microsoft recovering after PS4 is released. I predict around 25 mln PS4s sold the first year. So much hype everywhere for games like Knack, the new Killzone and inFamous, it will be completely justified.

Well that's certainly a positive outlook...Kaz!!

Ha, caught you!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
But right now they should be making tons of money on PS3 hw and sw sales, so the actual investment is much more than 150 million. And PS4 is not as high tech, so to speak, as PS2 and PS3 were at the time. It looks like a much more conservative design...

And you are seeing more conservative losses.

The easiest way to compare is to look at the operating loss in the same quarter before launch for PS3.

That was circa $270m.

And that was with PS2+PSP offsets which I presume were at the time at least as large as PS3+Vita's offset today...

And you are seeing more conservative losses.

The easiest way to compare is to look at the operating loss in the same quarter before launch for PS3.

That was circa $270m.

And that was with PS2+PSP offsets which I presume were at the time at least as large as PS3+Vita's offset today...

Larger, for sure.

madmackem

I mean, specially when going from 150+ million to 81 million.. if thats winning then I guess it is a win then :)

Wait hasnt units sold always been used as a measuring stick as to who wins?.

Bundy

Banned

Wait hasnt units sold always been used as a measuring stick as to who wins?.
Marketshare, most unit sold, etc.
So yes, PS3/SONY won in that regard.
Even when Xbox360/MS had an one year headstart.

tzare

well, the measure is easy, consoles sold. You could consider other factors as well, ones for and others against.
Against, coming from ps2 dominance it is a loss on sony's part (i wonder how many ps2's were sold after 6/7 years though, that would be the better comparison, not +10 years of ps2 sales vs 6 years of ps3 sales
Against, the same for MS, coming from 30 million XB they really did amazingly well with 360

For, well price, it has always been 'behind' competition
ALso, fud in the first years was huge against sony.
They also launched one year later, so those numbers are with 12 months less (in some markets even more) so, not that bad.

Celine

sony did something similar when the ps3 wasn't performing like they wanted initially. they started posting numbers from the production line or something weird. it fucked up direct comparisons for a good while.
It's the opposite.
Sony stopped reporting the manufactured units during the PS3 era because PS3 was selling really badly :) (if a console is selling like hot cakes no one will question the difference between produced and sold to retailers).

Then Sony started to combine sales :-(

Krilekk

Banned
PS3 LTD - 81.5 million console
Xbox 360 LTD - 78.2 million consoles

Not many people would have believed the PS3 could beat the 360 a few years ago, but here we are.

Nice try but the 81.5 million includes about three to four million PS2. And let's not forget that both lost to 100 million Wii.

I-hate-u

Sony is dominating the market, I don't see Nintendo and Microsoft recovering after PS4 is released. I predict around 25 mln PS4s sold the first year. So much hype everywhere for games like Knack, the new Killzone and inFamous, it will be completely justified.

I don't think they can even ship that many in the first year.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
Marketshare, most unit sold, etc.
So yes, PS3/SONY won in that regard.
Even when Xbox360/MS had an one year headstart.

Actually, if we are going to be proper then Wii won, right?

Ok, so most sold units is a measure of "winning" and what is it that you win? The console wars?

I mean, now that PS3 has the lead over 360, does that mean that it will get more games from thirdparty? Does that mean that multiplat games that before were "better" on 360, are now, suddenly, better on PS3?

So, what do you get by winning? :)

goomba

Banned

NotSureIfSerious.gif

I-hate-u

This is interesting. Does Sony slash the PS3 price and sell bucket loads of games like Beyond, GT6, TLOU and Puppeteer or do they slash the Vita price and capitalize on PS4 remote play to sell more units?

tzare

Ok, so most sold units is a measure of "winning" and what is it that you win? The console wars?

I mean, now that PS3 has the lead over 360, does that mean that it will get more games from thirdparty? Does that mean that multiplat games that before were "better" on 360, are now, suddenly, better on PS3?

For example you get more consumer positive feedback and put in better position for next gen.
It means that PS3 that still sells decently everywhere gets some japanese games that won't be released for 360

And yes, you win the console wars (well nintendo did). It is pointless but is a constant debate in forums. You for example seem to care as you are into the discussion too

Nags

Banned

You win a kinect.

kerrak

Nobody said ps3 won this gen.
What people are saying is that PS3 is winning over 360 in terms of units sold.
The prize?

24_2170

Baki

I'm quite sure that the PS3 will eventually sell more than the Wii (probably by 5 to 10m units).

Well, we don't know how much the 360 or PS3 will end up selling.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
For example you get more consumer positive feedback and put in better position for next gen.
It means that PS3 that still sells decently everywhere gets some japanese games that won't be released for 360

And yes, you win the console wars (well nintendo did). It is pointless but is a constant debate in forums. You for example seem to care as you are into the discussion too

No, my main point and this is what im trying to go after is, what does winning really mean?
Yeah, fanboys will argue that their console is the best, just because it has a sales lead. I argue that, if the difference is not crazy much, having a sales lead will not really make a difference and thus, you dont win anything.

Having a sales lead by 5-10 million, does not change anything for third parties (at least, between MS and Sony). Have a sales lead like 150 vs 50, then 3rd party will maybe focus on one platform, but Sony will not have this sales advantage ever again.

Both MS and Sony have already won massive 3rd party support and both coming machines will sell enough to make 3rd party happy.

The only metric I see of winning is, if you make the competitors go out of business or if you have this crazy sales lead that makes the platform the de facto standard.. THEN, you have truly won!

Bundy

Banned

Dude, stop crying!
We're talking about marketshare world-wide.
Just... as always, in every generation, you know?
You act like it hurt your feelings when PS3 overtook the Xbox360 in world-wide sales.
Who's talking here about multi-plat games performing better on a certain system?
We're talking about SONY/PS3/sales/earnings/worldwide sales here.
It seems like you are in the wrong thread, my friend.

And yes, the Wii "won" this generation.
But people are mostly talking about the HD-gen with the PS3 and Xbox360.

Hindle

Banned
Outselling your competition by 1 or 2m when you've lost billions, not to mention seen your brand recede by 50% really isn't a victory and I doubt Sony will be boasting either. But hey fanboys.

B.O.O.M

Outselling your competition by 1 or 2m when you've lost billions, not to mention seen your brand recede by 50% really isn't a victory and I doubt Sony will be boasting either. But hey fanboys.

I bet sony is actually rather happy with how things turned out after an absolute disaster of a launch.

At this point those who are constantly bitching about others who say the ps3 must be ahead of the 360 to be a huge win are equally bad

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
Dude, stop crying!
We're talking about marketshare world-wide.
Just... as always, in every generation, you know?
You act like it hurt your feelings when PS3 overtook the Xbox360 in world-wide sales.
Who's talking here about multi-plat games performing better on a certain system?
We're talking about SONY/PS3/sales/earnings/worldwide sales here.
It seems like you are in the wrong thread, my friend.

And yes, the Wii "won" this generation.
But people are mostly talking about the HD-gen with the PS3 and Xbox360.

The point im trying to make is, Sony taking over the sales lead NOW, does not make a difference whatsoever.
The people yelling "victory, finally this day has happened" etc etc.. are interesting for me because I wanted to know, what was the difference from before and now.
(obviously, the ones yelling victory are the narrow minded fanboys but still, and seeing how NeoGaf is infested with these types, I just wanted to know what they thought changed when SOny took over the sales lead).

Obviously, im not hurted by this.. because im still enjoying playing games, no matter what console.. you know.. a good game is a good game is a good game no matter what console, right?

allan-bh

Do we know for certain it was down YoY and PS2 was basically flat?

We know. I Just check

Sales decreased 12.2% year-on-year (a 15% decrease on a constant currency basis) to 707.1 billion yen (7,522
million U.S. dollars). Sales to external customers decreased 22.5% year-on-year. This significant decrease was
primarily due to a decrease in unit sales of PlayStation®3 (“PS3”) hardware

Page 3

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/12q4_sony.pdf

No, my main point and this is what im trying to go after is, what does winning really mean?
Yeah, fanboys will argue that their console is the best, just because it has a sales lead. I argue that, if the difference is not crazy much, having a sales lead will not really make a difference and thus, you dont win anything.

Having a sales lead by 5-10 million, does not change anything for third parties (at least, between MS and Sony). Have a sales lead like 150 vs 50, then 3rd party will maybe focus on one platform, but Sony will not have this sales advantage ever again.

Both MS and Sony have already won massive 3rd party support and both coming machines will sell enough to make 3rd party happy.

The only metric I see of winning is, if you make the competitors go out of business or if you have this crazy sales lead that makes the platform the de facto standard.. THEN, you have truly won!

The guy you quoted answers your initial question:

There are some tangible benefits, but there are also the benefit for the playstation fans who can claim in Internet forums that Playstation stands victorious over the Xbox in the field of battle.

I can understand your last comment, but we have always used unit sales to rank the consoles at the end of a gen. I'm sure that you would argue that Xbox 1 beat the gamecube in their gen.

Top Bottom