• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Computer Entertainment 2011 Fiscal Report : Deficit Over 94.7 Billion Yen

Derrick01

Banned
They might not expense R&D in their normal fiscal reports, but could in their full filing.

It wouldn't surprise me. Sony is always twisting words and using other sneaky practices to hide their shitty sales numbers, this wouldn't be the first time.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sony will have little to gain from releasing a console over $400. They should go Nintendo's route

Damn, that's ugly. I'm started to get worried for Sony, they're losing way too much money and Vita sales are not helping the cause. PS4 will likely have to go the Wii route if this is the case, right?

You're right, Sony should sell their platform on the incredibly strong sales of their first party line-up.

Should be a discussion about whether or not the Dreamcast or the PS4 will have a longer lifespan...a shame really. I hope good studios buy up the old Sony IPs if Sony does indeed fall.

Not really. This money they lost, not money they spent on R&D. It could be first party titles going way over budget, games that cost more money to make than recouped in sales, etc.

Lmfao are you serious

Ryoku

To the people asking if this is Sony as a whole, and not just SCE. The Japanese text states "Sony Computer Entertainment".

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i have no doubt that this seemingly negative news is actually indicative of something progressive that bodes well for my next gen console wish fulfilment.

Not really. This money they lost, not money they spent on R&D. It could be first party titles going way over budget, games that cost more money to make than recouped in sales, etc.

In no way can they lose a billion dollars with games alone it has to be something else along with that .
If it is not R&D maybe that includes the cost for Vita units the made before they sold them or PS3 does not make profit on hardware and software .

They just shut down two entire studios this year.

They also give ND a another team and bought SP .
Don't really change much .

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm also in the line of thinking that the R&D costs could be hampering up now as things move towards their next Playstation.

Tutomos

Because money has no influence on the actions of corporations that make videogames, sure.

Not for Sony. They are willing to keep talents that product critically acclaimed games around, even if the games did ok commercially. See Fumito Ueda.

They just shut down two entire studios this year.

Onus is on those studios. If their games score over 90% on Metacritic, they will still have a job despite poor sales of their games.

Hiltz

"Remi: Hey, have a quick question. A friend says that Wii U will be more powerful than PS4…yes PS4. He really said that. What is your take?

Shuhei Yoshida (President of Worldwide Studios, Sony Computer Entertainment): Let him dream."

It seems like Sony would rather cut off its own tongue than use the same business model as Nintendo's.

Mr_Moogle

That would be complete insanity given their current financial woes. I wish they would scale back a bit and release a more affordable console. Also something that's not diabolical to program for.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think you misunderstood the people you quoted. What I took from them about going the Nintendo route is that Sony should probably develop a less ambitious machine for next gen.

Sony lacks the first party sales strength of Nintendo and the services strength of Microsoft.

If they're not at least relatively up to par with Microsoft hardware wise, it puts them in an awful competitive position where they offer the best of nothing when it comes to actually selling consoles.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I remember that last year was when they released a loooooot of first party games and the only one that didn't tank was Infamous 2 and probably LBP2. So yeah, maybe that contributed to the deficit.

obonicus

What is the National Printing Bureau, and why would they have this information? Why isn't it part of of the annual report, for that matter?

Sony lacks the first party sales strength of Nintendo and the services strength of Microsoft.

If they're not at least relatively up to par with Microsoft hardware wise, it puts them in an awful competitive position where they offer the best of nothing when it comes to actually selling consoles.

Very true. Plus the other half of Sony is competing with Samsung, Apple, LG etc.

Kusagari

Not for Sony. They are willing to keep talents that product critically acclaimed games around, even if the games did ok commercially. See Fumito Ueda.

Onus is on those studios. If their games score over 90% on Metacritic, they will still have a job despite poor sales of their games.

The thing is, whether people want to admit it or not, that's part of the reason Sony is in this mess to begin with.

alphaNoid

Banned
The elephant in the room remains. Sony continues its downward spiral and its time people start accepting a no Playstation future is very real. Its not tomorrow but things keep getting worse.

Ryoku

"Remi: Hey, have a quick question. A friend says that Wii U will be more powerful than PS4…yes PS4. He really said that. What is your take?

Shuhei Yoshida (President of Worldwide Studios, Sony Computer Entertainment): Let him dream."

It seems like Sony would rather cut off its own tongue than use the same business model as Nintendo's.

Seppuku!

平成23年4月1日~平成24年3月31日

2011/04 ~2012/03

Oh dear.

If that's the case, I'd guess Vita being sold at a loss, Vita launch advertising, the PS3 price drop, and underperforming 1st party software as the culprits.

If only they'd got The Last Guardian out ._.

Kusaragi said:
The thing is, whether people want to admit it or not, that's part of the reason Sony is in this mess to begin with.

LJ11

This slide is pretty much the last gaming numbers they've shown since they merged it with their other products.

14_image.jpg

Kenai

They aren't seriously in danger of going under are they? That seems like a lot of money...is any division profitable enough to make up the difference?

Forgive me for not having much faith in the "Playstation Family" 's ability to fix the situation.

HyperionX

We might as well face the music. Sony is in deep trouble:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/634811-could-sony-disappear

Could Sony Disappear
June 4, 2012 | 25 comments | about: SNE
Sony (SNE) now has less cash than a quarter's sales.

Compare that with Microsoft (MSFT) which could get by for three quarters on its cash, if sales fell to zero. Or Cisco (CSCO), which could live for a year on its cash and short-term investments.

Technology companies keep a lot of cash and investments for a reason, to tide them over in bad times, and to fuel turnaround strategies. When the cash starts to run out, however, that's a clear sign that we're no longer talking about a turnaround.

And Sony is a lot closer to living on cash fumes than you might imagine. The company hasn't made an annual profit since George W. Bush was President. It no longer even has operating margins.

In Japan the stock is now trading at under 1,000 yen/share, which is $12.65 for the U.S. ADR. Kazuo Hirai's turnaround plan for the company has yet to show any results.

Sony is stuck in a TV business whose margins are wafer-thin on good days, and whose flat panel displays don't have to be replaced every few years the way CRTs do. Its PS3 line of video game machines now trail both Nintendo and Microsoft Xbox in total market share, and Hirai's big success was in that area.

Not even having operating margins is insane. It means they would lose less money if they shut down all of their factories and stop selling stuff, and just live off of cash reserves.

Sony doesn't have an unlimited cash supply. Although I'm sure a lot of this loss has to do with yen exchange rate, right?

There is plenty of room in between the wii u and peoples next gen expectations. I do think sony will scale back and have a profitable system but I don't think they'll go to wii u levels.

I didn't mean weak. Just less "unique". They went pretty far with the PS3 and it didn't seem to help them in the long run. Going a route with easier to manufacture, pre-existing tech (like they did with the vita), might help them stave of heavy losses in the long run.

Ueda is not really working for Sony anymore.

Holy Wars

Banned
They aren't seriously in danger of going under are they? That seems like a lot of money...is any division profitable enough to make up the difference?

Forgive me for not having much faith in the "Playstation Family" 's ability to fix the situation.

They'll be fine. A company like Sony has too much to offer to go under.

I didn't mean weak. Just less "unique". They went pretty far with the PS3 and it didn't seem to help them in the long run. Going a route with easier to manufacture, pre-existing tech (like they did with the vita), might help them stave of heavy losses in the long run.

That is like trying to get water out of a sinking cruise ship with a shot glass.

Top Bottom