• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Computer Entertainment 2011 Fiscal Report : Deficit Over 94.7 Billion Yen

So is there seriously a chance of next-gen being the end of the Playstation? That would straight up suck. I'm not a business person by any means so this stuff is like another language to me but it doesn't seem good. It would be so weird to not have Sony as a part of the gaming industry.

This not even a Sony thing allot of Japanese electronics companies losing money like crazy .
Say hello to our new Korea overlords but yeah things not looking good for Sony for last few years now.
With nothing ahead that can help them other than getting out of the TV business and that might not be enough to get them back on track.

patsu

This is not old news. SCE profit/loss statements weren't given in the standard filings.

From 2010 to 2011...

Kaz Hirai did a series of complex maneuver to restructure Sony consumer divisions (mobile, gaming and personal computers), including shifting stuff around, renaming SCE to SNEP temporarily and back.

There were also investments in Sony Entertainment Network as Kaz started the Network group.

Later in 2011 it would include efforts to counter the hacks, provision for damages, Vita R&D + production, etc.

The financial reports are naturally organized based on the new structure (the Network Product group).

That is like trying to get water out of a sinking cruise ship with a shot glass.

I am not talking about thier other divisions. I really don't care to much about all of the divisions. I am just talking about the gaming division, which despite all this doom and gloom being thrown about is no doing as bad as other portions of their company, such as the HDTV portion.

Sony lacks the first party sales strength of Nintendo and the services strength of Microsoft.

If they're not at least relatively up to par with Microsoft hardware wise, it puts them in an awful competitive position where they offer the best of nothing when it comes to actually selling consoles.
If sony is closer to the wii u in power than the 720 wouldn't that make microsoft the odd man out in terms of 3rd party porting? Although I suspect in reality that would just really fracture the market and make a larger japan vs. West divide with japanese publishers and audience supporting wii u and ps4 and western developers supporting 720 and pc. Ignoring handhelds obviously.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I'm assuming that bit at the bottom right is the losses? Can someone who can read Japanese translate the items there? Curious to know how that deficit is divided up.

From 2010 to 2011...

Kaz Hirai did a series of complex maneuver to restructure Sony (mobile, gaming and personal computers), including shifting stuff around, renaming SCE to SNEP temporarily and back.

There were also investments in Sony Entertainment Network as Kaz started the Network group, efforts to counter the hacks, Vita R&D + production, etc.

The financial reports then were naturally organized based on the new structure (the Network Product group).
I'm not sure what you are trying to say or how it relates to my post but SCE specific p/l numbers haven't been available since the 2008 FY.

No. fy11 is the financial year ending 2011.

What exactly are you arguing?
01_image.jpg

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/er.html

Onus is on those studios. If their games score over 90% on Metacritic, they will still have a job despite poor sales of their games.
The only SCE studios who managed a 90+ in the last 3 years were Naughty Dog, Media Molecule, SCE Santa Monica and SCE San Diego. The studio Sony just bought (Sucker Punch) hasn't managed a 90+ thos entire generation. SCEA's metacritic average is 73, which is lowest among the 1st parties.

B.O.O.M

Guys that period was horrible for them. Have you already forgotten the hacking incident? That alone cost them a lot of money. They had the vita launch as well.

chris0701

I'm not sure what you are trying to say or how it relates to my post but SCE specific p/l numbers haven't been available since the 2008 FY.

Based on the another data found in the same Japan government website, they had profit about 20 bil Yen in 2010 fiscal year.

patsu

If I remember correctly, the "restructured and renamed" SCE started on April 1st 2011 -- which would fit into that fiscal year. It is unclear how Kaz Hirai structured it after he moved stuff around, while setting up the new Network group. The year should also include investments in the secured SEN infrastructure, damage provisions, Vita R&D, production, etc.

While Sony's data center should be smaller than Apple's and Facebook's $1 billion (each) super datacenters; it may not be cheap either. As Sony said, they wanted to build SEN on top of PSN.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
A no-Sony future is a horrifying thought.

Dunno,Sony is just with us since the mid 90s, and we are surviving without SEGA consoles just fine too right now,I think Microsoft and Nintendo can handle the market and gamers well if Sony went bye-bye.

A no-Sony future is a horrifying thought.

Games or hardware? If something drastic did happen, they would just sell off their game studios to other publishers and then those same developers would still be making the games you like to play today. They would just make them for other platforms.

Based on the another data found in the same Japan government website, they had profit about 20 bil Yen in 2010 fiscal year.

Was talking about their earnings releases.

My guess is that the reason for the difference in the operating profit number and this deficit number is that the PSN hack and the subsequent costs got written off as non operating, one time costs.

Satchel

Banned
Wow. So not even gaming is making them money? Yikes.

Sony will definitely be charging for PSN next gen.

Also don't expect a super powerful PS4.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Games or hardware? If something drastic did happen, they would just sell off their game studios to other publishers and then those same developers would still be making the games you like to play today. They would just make them for other platforms.

Or sell the entire SCE/Playstation brand and studios to some electronic giant who might want to the enter the market like Samsung/Apple/LG.

Holy Wars

Banned

Look at MS and Nintendo's hardware this gen. It's either super dated or doomed to red ring. Only Sony can make cutting edge hardware that is of a high manufacturing standard.

Wow. So not even gaming is making them money? Yikes.

Sony will definitely be charging for PSN next gen.

Also don't expect a super powerful PS4.

Similar to Microsoft's software and services and Nintendo's games, Sony's strength is technology and hardware. Maybe the PS4 won't be super powerful, but it would be a shame if the PS4 doesn't at least include something cool hardware wise.

Top Bottom