• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms Crash Bandicoot rights still with Activision

Henkka

Banned
But what is Crash 2016/17 anyway? Crash 1-3 on Unreal 4 or something significantly expanded and different, 'matured', a la Jak and Daxter - risking backlash?

I'm not sure we actually need new Crash.

Something like Mario 3D World, I guess? But with longer levels. I dunno.

Say what you will about "90s attitude" shit -- if you actually played the game you would know that was just the marketing renders, Crash in game is more akin to a goofy puppy than 80s and 90s 'TUDE™ -- but clearly he's still cared about.

The Skylanders version of Crash will have more 'tude than you can possibly imagine, mark my words.

The rights to Spiderman are also still with Sony.

Doesn't mean anything. Expecially now that Playstation are partnered with Activision to promote Call of Duty and Destiny.

zoukka

Gamers today wouldn't welcome a super linear and hard game like the old Crash Bandicoots. I would love a game like that with modern twists, but for the game to sell, it would have to transform a lot.

Raylan

Banned
You don't sell your IP just because you have a good relationship with someone. It could still end up being the exact same game regardless of who owns the IP. More important is who will develop it and what kind of game they are making.
That's maybe important for you, if you only want a new game and that's it. Happy that this is all what you need.

That's not what a LOT of longtime PlayStation fans want. Crash is THE PlayStation mascot for them. So they want Sony to own the IP. Just like Mario should stay a Nintendo IP.

Skylanders:Crash Returns.

Honestly, with the huge surprises that Sony has been pulling for the last few E3's, them revealing a new Crash game with Activision seems reasonable to me. I could see Activision tie it in with Skylanders, just like how Activision partnered up with Nintendo to make some Mario/ Donkey Kong related Skylander toys.

Sony has never owned the rights to Crash and they still don't. Nothing has really changed with the character from their end.

Gamers today wouldn't welcome a super linear and hard game like the old Crash Bandicoots. I would love a game like that with modern twists, but for the game to sell, it would have to transform a lot.

I don't see why not. I bet that the game sells less if they go too far from what the fans enjoyed about the first trilogy.

I'm with Jim Sterling on this one. Seems like some people just decided that the genre is not going to sell. Even the early PS2 games that were a clear step down from the PS1 games sold well enough to enter Platinum Range.

zoukka

I don't see why not. I bet that the game sells less if they go too far from what the fans enjoyed about the first trilogy.

Those fans are the minority. You need new players also to support a franchise and Crash has been on hiatus for over a decade.

7m89j0w.png

OH SHIT, YES!

* enter the thread *

DAMN...

Those fans are the minority. You need new players also to support a franchise and Crash has been on hiatus for over a decade.

Do they? Crash games are the best selling ones of PS classics every single year. Seems to me the fans are still there and hungry for more. Crash for example outsold such titles as GTA series.

Also I don't see how getting new fans means they need to radically change the game.

Drencrom

I only speak for myself now, but I personally don't just want a Crash PS1 game with PS4 graphics, but an modernized Crash Bandicoot game that still has the tight platforming, humor and overall wacky art design, and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone on that. I think Crash Bandicoot could translate well to a Super Mario 3D World kind of game, where the levels are linear but has also has the free-roaming aspect of a 3D game.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I seriously don't understand this outside of bandwagoning.

Don't get me wrong, as a kid crash bandicoot made me want a Ps1. Crash 1,2,3 were fantastic games and CTR was better than Mario Kart.

Why people want a new crash game is madness to me. All the games after the ND run were absolute garbage. The only thing that even makes remote sense is to remaster 1-3.

A modern day crash game, what would that even be outside of a disappointment? No one is checking for platformers anymore. It's pure nostalgia behind this recent crash obsession on GAF. Feed the nostalgia with the remasters and then throw crash back into IP abyss where he belongs.

Thank god there are some with sense left.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Just doesn't seem like an Activision thing to do. Also don't know if the potential profit sharing would make it worth the hassle.

They have no plans for the IP right now anyway - doubt they would be too stubborn if Sony came up with a fitting proposal. If Disney can get Spidey into MCU, Sony can get Activision to play ball with an unused IP like Crash.

Assuming the Sony really is interesting in bringing him back - i think they should, especially after Ratchet & Clanks performance.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Do they? Crash games are the best selling ones of PS classics every single year. Seems to me the fans are still there and hungry for more. Crash for example outsold such titles as GTA series.

Also I don't see how getting new fans means they need to radically change the game.

You spend too much time on gaf if you think a new crash games means anything. The target audience wasn't even born when the original launched and it's not like it has any sort of cultural pull either like a Mario game. It would exist for a tiny tiny niche and be forgotten in a week.

You spend too much time on gaf if you think a new crash games means anything. The target audience wasn't even born when the original launched and it's not like it has any sort of cultural pull either like a Mario game.

So who is buying the PS1 classics then if the IP doesn't mean anything anymore?

Also I think the target audience should be old fans just as much as todays kids.

edit: this just seems to be the exact same situation as with Resident Evil. Apparently it was crazy talk of doing anything like the old games until they released REmake for the first time outside of Nintendo platforms and it sold crazy well.

TrueBlue

I seriously don't understand this outside of bandwagoning.

Don't get me wrong, as a kid crash bandicoot made me want a Ps1. Crash 1,2,3 were fantastic games and CTR was better than Mario Kart.

Why people want a new crash game is madness to me. All the games after the ND run were absolute garbage. The only thing that even makes remote sense is to remaster 1-3.

A modern day crash game, what would that even be outside of a disappointment? No one is checking for platformers anymore. It's pure nostalgia behind this recent crash obsession on GAF. Feed the nostalgia with the remasters and then throw crash back into IP abyss where he belongs.

With the holy trinity announced last year, the gaming community needs a new theoretical game to fill the void. Plus all the hints.

Just doesn't seem like an Activision thing to do. Also don't know if the potential profit sharing would make it worth the hassle.

3ds-skylanders-superchargers-racing-st-12842462_l.jpg

Seems crazy, right?

Crash is an IP that is collecting dust for Activision. If they can make money by partnering with Sony to help reboot the franchise, then they would.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
So who is buying the PS1 classics then if the IP doesn't mean anything anymore?

Also I think the target audience should be old fans just as much as todays kids.

And that's not enough to invest in a new game. The old games are easy to port and the audience is built in but a new game would also need a new audience and crash just doesnt carry that sort of power.

Xater

3ds-skylanders-superchargers-racing-st-12842462_l.jpg

Seems crazy, right?

Crash is an IP that is collecting dust for Activision. If they can make money by partnering with Sony to help reboot the franchise, then they would.

That's Nintendo giving Activion characters, not the other way around.

Sure deals can be made, all I am saying is I am not as optimistic about those as I am about a game if Sony straight up owned it.

Except it definitely is happening though.

It'll happen but in what form? My theory for a while has been that it's the Activision PS4 exclusive Verendus teased a couple years ago and that it'll be a budget game like Tony Hawk 5 and Legend of Korra.

That's why I'm preparing to not give a shit about it, I expect it'll happen, it won't be good and I won't buy it.

Zaki2407

At E3, Sony will say something like this :
"Well, Crash Bandicoot is still Activision's......(silence)......until 5 minutes ago. I just sign a cheque and gave it to Activison. So, yeah, we bought Crash back ^_^"
and the crowd goes wild :p
#teamoptimist

Drencrom

To the naysayers who still have the mindset that nothing's happening. I have to point to this...
E63A1A71-CF68-40F0-BF56-3347A167BA65_zpsyezrewhw.jpg

It really makes little sense why he would do this if Crash isn't happening.

Like ripping open an old wound just to pour salt over it for no reason at all, because there really was no point in the t-shirt then to blatantly say "hey, we acknowledge that you guys love(d) Crash even though the IP is basically dead and not even ours".

SNURB

It really makes little sense why he would do this if Crash isn't happening.

Like ripping open an old wound just to pour salt over it for no reason at all, because there really was no point in the t-shirt then to blatantly say "hey, we acknowledge that you guys love(d) Crash even though the IP is basically dead and not even ours".

If anything, it's what Hashimoto did at 2014's PSX, trolling the audience with a FF7 port instead of the long-awaited remake. Cut to June 2015, we get FF7R at E3.

That type of game wouldn't work today anyway. The formula is old.

Not entirely unlike Starfox, really.

Just like Resident Evil Remake with fixed camera angles, inventory management and such.

Resident Evil's HD remaster, the upgraded and updated version of the seminal survival horror game, has sold more than 1 million copies globally since its release in late January, according to creator Capcom.

That makes the Resident Evil remake Capcom's "fastest selling digital title in history across Europe and North America," according to the company.

Oh.

And I don't expect a new Crash game to do crazy numbers but I'm also expecting for it to not have a pointless AAA budget. Sony funds a ton of different type of games. Like, if I was going for maximizing profits I certainly would fund Crash 4 before something like Last Guardian or Dreams. Games like Sly 4 and the new Ratchet sold well and you could just as well argue that they are relics of the past. In fact I'd argue that a comeback now is more relevant than ever with titles like Yooka Laylee and Shovel Knight popping up.

A new Crash game is coming...or (Spoiler for a recently released AAA game)
Naughty Dog is getting sued by Activision.

Can't wait for this year's E3.

Top Bottom