• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms Crash Bandicoot rights still with Activision

Sony doesn't need to own the rights to make an exclusive game on ps4.

And Activision can make money from a license (they are barely using) without doing much.

That's Nintendo giving Activion characters, not the other way around.

Sure deals can be made, all I am saying is I am not as optimistic about those as I am about a game if Sony straight up owned it.

But Nintendo is even less willing license out their IP's than Activision. It's not like they whore out their characters to anyone these days. If you want to talk about a company that doesn't like sharing profits, well that's Nintendo. To me Nintendo's Skylanders deal almost seems like Nintendo is trying to score some points with the largest third party publisher on the planet.

As for Crash, it has never been a Sony IP. The Crash IP might not hold that much value for Activison right now, but if they partnered up with Sony to bring the character back to its glory years, than it might be a worth while proposition for Activision to get involved in. It would also be great for Sony as well, since they can capitalize on the nostalgia for Crash in a big way. Especially since they can spin Crash's 20 year anniversary.

daTRUballin

Why is everybody acting like we won't see a new Crash game if Activision owns the license? There have been too many hints for it not to exist.

Drencrom

That type of game wouldn't work today anyway. The formula is old.

Not entirely unlike Starfox, really.

As I said before, most people probably don't just want a straight up PS1 Crash game but a modernized sequel that still got the "sensibilities", humor, art design etc of the ND games.

If anything, it's what Hashimoto did at 2014's PSX, trolling the audience with a FF7 port instead of the long-awaited remake. Cut to June 2015, we get FF7R at E3.

Exactly

Skux

Last year we saw Final Fantasy VII Remake, The Last Guardian and Shenmue 3.

I'm keeping an open mind this E3.

As I said before, most people probably don't just want a straight up PS1 Crash game but a modernized sequel that still got the "sensibilities", humor, art design etc of the ND games.

Actually, I think they'd be better off making a PSone era style game. Spruce it up, throw in some new ideas, sell it for $19.99 on the PlayStation Store and in a box for $24.99 with a Crash teddy/toy. That's the right way to bring the character back for now IMO.

Would be a 7/10 game, but would sell on nostalgia.

jiggles

Banned
E63A1A71-CF68-40F0-BF56-3347A167BA65_zpsyezrewhw.jpg

Not the first time he's appeared wearing retro PlayStation merch.

Don't treat an exec's appearance as confirmation of anything unless it's a tattoo on Peter Moore's arm.

Tregard

Soothsayer

Don't treat an exec's appearance as confirmation of anything unless it's a tattoo on Peter Moore's arm.

It's pretty blatant what he's doing though, nobody could be tone-deaf enough to wear something like that without it meaning something. Not unless they wanted backlash from very enthusiastic fans at PSX.

Drencrom

Actually, I think they'd be better off making a PSone era style game. Spruce it up, throw in some new ideas, sell it for $19.99 on the PlayStation Store and in a box for $24.99 with a Crash teddy/toy. That's the right way to bring the character back for now IMO.

Would be a 7/10 game, but would sell on nostalgia.

That would be acceptable, but that would be a pretty tame way to bring back Crash instead of actually reviving and modernizing the IP to ensure that it could be a "new" big, platforming franchise for Sony. Having it as an AA title with a $40 pricetag like Ratchet and Clank could work wonders imo.

Sony doesn't need to own the rights to make an exclusive game on ps4.

And Activision can make money from a license (they are barely using) without doing much.

What's the point of licensing it though? Say Sony licences Crash, spends millions making a good game and it sells a few million, what's stopping the exact same thing that happened last time from happening again? Activision eventually gets the license back, goes multiplatform and then runs it straight back into the ground. May as well not bother IMO.

I could see Sony co-funding the game like they did Street Fighter V but unless they bought the rights back (which I seriously doubt will ever happen), I don't think they'd fully fund an IP they don't own.

This is something that I also think will happen alongside the new game and/or remaster.

Most likely a "Pre-Order for Crash Bandicoot" That would be hilarious haha. Knowing Activi$ion they would probably do that. Still expect to see the PSASBR sequel at E3 or if not, at PSX in dec.

so1337

Just like Resident Evil Remake with fixed camera angles, inventory management and such.
Apples and oranges.

You would have to make massive changes to the Crash formula if you wanted to sell it as a current gen game. Those games are barely more complex than your average runner on the App Store.

The dream is dead...a lying rotting corpse of a little Bandicoot, while Activision dances excitedly around it.

Today is a sad day,I shall mourne by wearing orange all day

but unless they bought the rights back (which I seriously doubt will ever happen), I don't think they'd fully fund an IP they don't own.

But Sony never owned the rights to Crash, how could they buy them back? Universal original owned the series and they had a partnership with Sony.

SNURB

He wore a GOW shirt at PSX 2014 and Cory Barlog announced GOW4 moments later.

And he wore the Vib-Ribbon shirt when it was made available on PSN due to the backlash at E3 2014 when he mentioned the game.

Shawn's not stupid. He knows what he's doing.

Sheesh, I always get surprised at how many people dislike Crash/want the IP to stay dead/think a new game wouldn't sell well (ROFL :v) in these threads.

I believe we are witnessing the start of a 3D platforming Renaissance. The new Ratchet & Clank game is selling very very well, and games like Yooka-Laylee and A Hat in Time got SO much backer support. I think most of the kids who grew up with 3D platformers are in their 20s right now. Some of them are becoming game developers and I'm sure many of them will want to make 3D platformers, just like we've been getting a lot of retro 2D platformers by people who grew up with them.

Saying that a new Crash game would be bad just because all the post-PS1 games were bad (which is questionable, but I won't get into that) is pretty illogical. These games weren't bad because it was impossible for them to be good, they were bad because the developers didn't do a good job or had to rush the game to keep that annoying yearly release cycle.

To those who are saying that the game is too linear to be popular nowadays, look at all those endless runner games that are super popular. Super Mario 3D World was also pretty linear and had an on-rails camera like Crash, the biggest difference is that the corridors were wider. Plus, a new Crash game doesn't HAVE to be linear. The original games ended up being linear mostly because it was one of the first 3D platformers (in fact, when work started on the game there was no such thing as a 3D platformer/mascot game yet, it was all uncharted territory) and hardware limitations. We could get a complete remake of the first game, but with the open-world gameplay of the first Jak and Daxter game. I think that would be a pretty sweet way to reintroduce Crash, and it would really fit the game's premise of going on a journey through this archipelago, trying to get to Cortex's castle.

I'm pretty sure that Adam Boyes is lying to mess with our expectations so we can be surprised at E3. The evidence we've been getting lately is too convincing, way more than anything we had gotten before it.

I suppose you think
Sony didn't mention Activision in Uncharted 4's credits on purpose because they like getting sued.
Okay then, lol.

notaskwid

It's pretty blatant what he's doing though, nobody could be tone-deaf enough to wear something like that without it meaning something. Not unless they wanted backlash from very enthusiastic fans at PSX.
Just making the rumors that crash will be at psx true

After seeing how Platinum "revived" Star Fox.... no thanks

Platinum did an amazing job with Star Fox, Zero is the best in the series if you can adjust to its controls. Its the definitive way to play Star Fox and Zero has many of the best levels in the series.

keero16

Neo Member
Platinum did an amazing job with Star Fox, Zero is the best in the series if you can adjust to its controls. Its the definitive way to play Star Fox and Zero has many of the best levels in the series.

That's the issue. It's not a standard control scheme and some people (like myself) have issues adjusting to it, if they can even adjust to it at all.

SNURB

And even then, Shuhei Yoshida said Adam Boyes, and the 3rd Party Relations team (Gio Corsi, although not mentioned by name by Yoshida) are who you need to ask, in order to get Sony and Activision on the same page with Crash.

They say the "Activision owns the IP" line a lot, when they answer someone -- big surprise, by the way, they will RELIABLY reply to celebrities and press who ask -- but that's a bullshit line and I'll tell you why. Yakuza, Shenmue, and other IP that Sony has NOTHING to do with are ALIVE TODAY because Sony PlayStation decided to step in and help the fans of those games see them come stateside or get sequels that otherwise never would have happened. So "Ask Activision. They own the IP" is bullshit, especially when your Worldwide Studio president told us to ask you.

Top Bottom