• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms PS2 emulation coming to PS4

Sony is working on bringing PlayStation 2 titles to the PlayStation 4, the company confirmed to WIRED Thursday evening.

“We are working on utilizing PS2 emulation technology to bring PS2 games forward to the current generation,” a Sony representative told WIRED via email. “We have nothing further to comment at this point in time.”

It seems as if the first PS2 games using this emulation software to run on PS4 are already out: a bundle available now at retail that includes a PS4 console and the Star Wars: Battlefront game also includes a selection of bonus classic games: Super Star Wars, Star Wars: Racer Revenge, Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter, and Star Wars: Bounty Hunter.

The latter three games, according to the Digital Foundry, as reported by Eurogamer, aren’t simply ports of old code to the PS4. Instead, there are a number of signs indicating that they’re running on proprietary emulation software.

Source: http://www.wired.com/2015/11/playstation-2-emulation-coming-to-ps4-sony-confirms/

Now do the same for PS1 games, allowing the discs, and I have literally no reason to keep my PS3 anymore.

Except to replay Nier.

... I'm never getting rid of my PS3

Nice. Let's hope we can get disc based emulation as well.

35k9atk.gif~c200

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I can't get excited about this because it's most likely just going to be for PS2 Classics.

But if by some miracle they DO get disc backward compatibility going, that's a big selling point for me.

I hope this is something Sony can just enable for PS2 classics. If it involves publishers working on their titles I don't expect I'll be able to play anything I want to. Don't care for trophies. Just let me play PS1 and PS2 classics I own on PSN and I can get rid of my PS3.

BroBot

Besides the more popular game requests sure to be mentioned here, I'd love to play Nba Street Volume 2 and Crash Twinsanity on my PS4.

Ishida

Banned
Well this is pretty fantastic! I really, REALLY hope they also allow for disc-based games instead of just downloads.

Gimme dat sweet Valhalla of gaming goodness.

PS2 was the greatest era in gaming and I look forward to getting to see it in a more perfect way.

Persona7

Banned
I want to play god hand on my PS4 but that doesn't sound like a good idea with the low quality controllers sony produces.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Nice. But where is PS1 emulation? Should be much easier to do anyway. And I'd like to be able to play all my PS Classics on the PS4.

Blanquito

A prayer circle for Kingdom Hearts availability has started. Join with me, brothers and sisters.

Code:
                    _..._
                .~`      ~. 
               {           \
                \~~`'._   /
                 )-    {,_}
                 '.___,-',
                 |\ _|    \
                 \_| `     \
                   \    /   \
                   _;--'     \
                 /`          /_
                 \    .___.-'| \ 
    ^^^^^^^^^^^`--`'------`--`^^^^^^^

Agent X

Awesome news!

Now we just need to know more crucial details, such as when the PS2 emulation will be made formally available, and what games are going to be playable with the emulator.

Top Bottom