• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms PS2 emulation coming to PS4

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
wtf, why would that mean they wouldn't make it playable for Ps4? it's not like tekken hybrid works on Ps4 besides the movie

Because publishers are stupid is why.

My cynical mind envisions that they want to sell what they have already made, not something apart of someone else's ecosystem

ZeroCoin

PS2 San Andreas is still on the Australian store. Also the GTA Trilogy is also still available and that contains the PS2 version.

Is Australia getting the 'improved' San Andreas? I just bought the trilogy last month, partially in hope of eventually getting PS4 emulation. Just disappointed to see it missing from the store. Especially disappointed after hearing about the mixed reception to the 360 'remaster'.

Because publishers are stupid is why.

My cynical mind envisions that they want to sell what they have already made, not something apart of someone else's ecosystem
bandai namco isn't always stupid. hell, i'd say sometimes they're confident I guess, harada's making tekken 7 for psvr and summer lesson.

but that's besides the point.

what do you mean, a part of someone else's ecosystem?

Inuhanyou

bandai namco isn't always stupid. hell, i'd say sometimes they're confident I guess, harada's making tekken 7 for psvr and summer lesson.

but that's besides the point.

what do you mean, a part of someone else's ecosystem?

They want to sell the game they made in 2011, not the game they made in 2000, provided by PSN where Sony gets apart of the profit stream.

They want to sell the game they made in 2011, not the game they made in 2000, provided by PSN where Sony gets apart of the profit stream.
Ok well Sony and Bandai Namco or at least Namco, have a pretty good relationship. Tekken was exclusive for a long time, Ps4's the first platform T7 was announced for even though it'll probably be out on all of them.

Well for me personally if they remastered Tekken Tag again like ffs10/10-2 got remastered twice, I'd pay for it again because I love Tekken Tag that much.

I just hope if they do they'd fix the ending music. They fucked it up in hybrid. But yeah, they probably won't because I feel like it flopped.

RexNovis

Banned
Main reason why I want disc based emulation is because that's the only way I can expect to play certain, underrated, less popular games.

When I take a look at my current PS2 collection:

I see games that

1. either have a HD remaster (albeit not good ones in some cases in my opinion)
2. or are to niche for Sony to bother releasing them

PS2 emulation will be pretty much pointless to me if Sony chooses to restrict the available libary to a handfull of PSN titles. And that would make me think: why bother with emulation then?

Can I just say: FUCK YEA CHAMPIONS AND DARK ALLIANCE! Love those games. You're A-OK by me man.

RexNovis

Banned
Why would Sony make trophies on ps2 emulation a requirement... So no games could come out? Unless Sony themselves add the trophies and do all the work, making companies go back to their old ass games to add trophies is the stupidest shit. I expect nothing from this ps2 emulation now. forcing people to do more work on old shit....

No extra work is required. Trophies are tagged and created by the emulator itself if their patent is to be believed.

LewieP

Putting PSP Classics on the PS4 would not discourage Vita sales, it would encourage them.

There's loads of active PS4 users, giving them access to buy PSP games with crossbuy and crossplatform cloud saves would encourage them to grab a handheld that would allow them to take those games with them.

It wouldn't have a big impact on Vita sales, but it would be a positive.

Are people suggesting the opposite under the impression that there are a significant number of people on the cusp of buying a Vita but waiting to see if PSP classics ever get made available for the PS4?

Edit: I still hope that Sony not only allow you to play previously digitally bought PS1/PS2 classics on the PS4, but also (at least Sony's own published) PS2 HD collections released for PS3. As in, I bought ICO & SOTC HD from PSN, since obviously that is a bespoke PS3 remaster it won't ever work on PS4, but they could grant me access to the original PS2 releases of these games to play via emulation on PS4 at no extra cost.

LordofPwn

Where do you see any indication that manual work is required? Must've missed that part.
Someone has to determine which disc access triggers equal earning a trophy, what that trophy is called, the description, it's level (bronze, silver, gold), the artwork, and to test them.

They want to sell the game they made in 2011, not the game they made in 2000

Why not sell both? The latter isn't a substitution for the former. In fact, over in Xboxland publishers have realized that old games are such good promotion for new ones that they're giving BC games away for free with newer entries. I swear, the commentary on every thread about this issue is so disconnected from actual business realities.

Inuhanyou

Why not sell both? The latter isn't a substitution for the former. In fact, over in Xboxland publishers have realized that old games are such good promotion for new ones that they're giving BC games away for free with newer entries. I swear, the commentary on every thread about this issue is so disconnected from actual business realities.

Who knows? Why does Disney disallow KH on the PSN store every single time even though they'd obviously get free money?

Publishers, are dumb.

As a new ps4 owner and someone who still has their ps2 hooked up right next to it, what does this mean for me? Will this be download only or will I be able to actually use my own games? Better yet, will I be able to transfer saves with the USB memory card adapter I have sitting next to my ps2?

ZeroCoin

As a new ps4 owner and someone who still has their ps2 hooked up right next to it, what does this mean for me? Will this be download only or will I be able to actually use my own games? Better yet, will I be able to transfer saves with the USB memory card adapter I have sitting next to my ps2?

It doesn't mean anything for you yet. This thread is pure speculation. There hasn't even been an official announcement that it's happening at this point. Any questions like those are better left for when something has been announced.

Inuhanyou

We don't know anything yet. Its all speculation.

taken from the official PS4 manual
Untitled_zps5xvkay4s.png

This is what pisses me off the most about Singstar, so many PS2/3 discs with songs on, yet Sony refuse to let us get to them.

fvng

Yes it is download only, no you can't transfer old saves

Top Bottom